• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation Vita is officially discontinued

ps_vita_cracked_front.jpg

You knew the PlayStation Vita wasn't long for this world, and now it's official: Sony has discontinued the last two Vita models. The move marks the last step of a long, gradual phase-out that included a halt on first-party games in 2015, the discontinuation of physical games and the end to PS Plus freebies. If you're looking for the handheld, you'll either have to get lucky at a retailer (if there are any units left) or track down a second-hand model.
The Vita had a long shelf life, but not a happy one. It launched in Japan in December 2011, right when phone and tablet gaming were taking off -- Sony was trying to sell people on a dedicated handheld at a time when many could play "good enough" mobile games on devices they already owned. And while there were high-quality titles like Severed, tepid sales led developers to shy away. Things only got worse when you included design complaints (such as a reliance on expensive, proprietary memory cards) and fierce competition from Nintendo.
Sony doesn't plan a sequel to the Vita.

Welp, going from the PSP to a almost intentional self-sabotaging of the Xperia Play, and then to the Vita which they gave up on trying to salvage around 2 years after release, and made it become a consoles with a library of Visual Novels and other types of niche games, only really pushing it in Japan, where it only sold a few million units.

No successor is planned at this time. I still think they can try an Xperia Play again, actually add games to it, have a separate PSN store for smaller titles and indies, the tech is there for a slick big screen phone with a reliable slide out controller. But it's likely they are done with portable gaming for awhile.

But it's the end of the Vita and also the end of Nintendos only competition that was left in the portable sapce (though even Nintendo kind of gave up on that with the hybrid approach of the switch but that's a different subject.)

Even in it's death I see 4GB cards for over $20, Vita means life of high prices that never end.

Hudo

So, what are the must-haves for this system? Persona 4: Golden, obviously. But what else would you guys consider?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So, what are the must-haves for this system? Persona 4: Golden, obviously. But what else would you guys consider?

that question is very easy the answer
s-l300.jpg

Is a must have, not only for ps vita... For a Gamer in anything.

I dont care what happens with Uncharted Golden Abbys or Soul Sacrifice.

Gravity rush = Life

Last edited:
that question is very easy the answer
s-l300.jpg

Is a must have, not only for ps vita... For a Gamer in anything.

I dont care what happens with Uncharted Golden Abbys or Soul Sacrifice.

Gravity rush = Life

Actually that's not much of an answer now since the PS4 remaster exists. I mean sure there's some Gyro stuff on Vita but that's about it.

BibiMaghoo

I love my Vita, backpad controls aside. I do not love the memory card prices and that they seem to fail relatively easily. They made so many mistakes with the console, but it still has its place. I just wish more games had physical versions.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm actually surprised they didn't do this year's ago. I had one myself, really sexy piece of hardware, but it felt like really early that Sony abandoned the platform.

SALMORE

unfortunately it will end up like the NeoGeo Pocket , unjustifiably expensive and only appeal to certain type of gamers

unfortunately it will end up like the NeoGeo Pocket , unjustifiably expensive and only appeal to certain type of gamers

Actually from what' Iv'e seen online and in stores around by area, it's cheaper to get the NGPC than the original NGP. Go figure.

ExpandKong

Banned
Could’ve been great had Sony not bungled it so terribly. Thought they were gonna try and salvage it with the slim but NOPE 1 gig of onboard storage and same shitty proprietary cards instead of switching to microsd when they had the chance.

It’s great for PS1 classics, Ps2 ports, and visual novels at least. Will hang on to mine for those purposes.

Chittagong

Gold Member
RIP in peace my sweet Persona machine

I’ll always cherish our first morning together, 22 February 2012

7cbe67ae-d5b6-4d5e-by4j57.jpeg

but now I must admit, what I really was looking for in the relationship was Switch

e52d728e-5856-46ab-b2fkae.jpeg

Last edited:

Banned
I regret never buying one. Now even crap-tier used models are going for upwards of $250. All I really want is just a portable PSX/PSP player, but we all know the condition PSP's are in....

ExpandKong

Banned
I regret never buying one. Now even crap-tier used models are going for upwards of $250. All I really want is just a portable PSX/PSP player, but we all know the condition PSP's are in....

Gamestop’s got them preowned for $150 on their site on my end.

EDIT and $50 for a preowned 16 gig memory card, ugh.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Handhelds are not my thing, but the Vita was an amazing piece of kit. It sold like 30mil or something as well didnt it?, its a weird industry when selling that much is seen as not enough to keep supporting it.

Banned
Gamestop’s got them preowned for $150 on their site on my end.

EDIT and $50 for a preowned 16 gig memory card, ugh.
I'm trying to get one with a low firmware version, for obvious reasons. Also, I've never bought any used/refurb'd consoles from GameStop and I'm a little skeptical.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's sad and it's also a bunch of BS. I still buy games for my Vita. I just purchased LocoRoco 2 for it. I sincerely hope they don't try and shut down the store.

I have a 4 and an 8 GB card and I can't go to every single thing I own on both cards.

ExpandKong

Banned
I'm trying to get one with a low firmware version, for obvious reasons. Also, I've never bought any used/refurb'd consoles from GameStop and I'm a little skeptical.

Ahh gotcha. Godspeed, then. I will say as far as Gamestop’s used consoles go, they’re not bad. I bought a used PS2 from them when they announced they were gonna stop carrying them (before they started carrying them again lol), and recently bought a refurbed N3DS. Both were fine. The 3DS in particular is in great shape.

It's sad and it's also a bunch of BS. I still buy games for my Vita. I just purchased LocoRoco 2 for it. I sincerely hope they don't try and shut down the store.

I have a 4 and an 8 GB card and I can't go to every single thing I own on both cards.

In the past you could get a 32 gig card from amazon during the holidays for like $50...still a rip-off but it was about half the original price. That’s what I did.

Last edited:

stranno

Considering the impact of PSP, PSV was highly disappointing. I still enjoyed some games, like Bend Studio's masterpiece Uncharted: Golden Abyss or Nihilistic's Resistance: Burning Skies.

Heavy underpowered compared to the stock SOC, another stupid Sony storage standard, low support, unoptimized PS3 ports, minimal scene (Rinnegatamente, Libretro and two or three more devs). What a waste of high-quality screen, great design and good controls.

Last edited:
The PSP is getting up there in age, and unfortunately I'm out of options if I want one. I can only get them used via eBay, and many of them are in poor condition.

Amazon? target has back-stock that they ship to you if you're out of state as well.

BibiMaghoo

The PSP is getting up there in age, and unfortunately I'm out of options if I want one. I can only get them used via eBay, and many of them are in poor condition.

I don't know where you live but there are a handful of new ones on Ebay. They are not cheap obviously but some of them are reasonable given they are still sealed after all these years.

dolabla

Shame it never got the support from Sony it deserved. I loved/love my Vitas. Heck, I own 3. One OLED, one black slim and one Japanese neon orange slim.

Has anybody checked the prices of Vita TV now? They're insane. I have a sealed one (I got cheap during clearance) and one I bought new and have used.

Kagero

Meh. I liked the PSP more. Not a hater. I actually really want them to make another handheld pretty badly. Switch shows that a handheld can be done properly. A Vita 2 can show how to perfect what the Switch has done.

CatCouch

I own 118 physical Vita games!

I loved my Vita! I love niche Japanese games so I got as much out of my Vita as I did with my PS4. Too bad Sony doesn't seem to care at all about niche Japanese games these days, if they at least embraced them a little I would feel a lot more confident about next gen but I feel the Switch will be the home for most the games I want in the future.

Dr.brain64

I think vita will forever be my go to tetris on the go handheld (and other games such as lumines). I also have a big library of psp and psone games too which are amazing to play on the go as well as home too.

Mr Hyde

Loved the Vita. It was the first handheld that I actually liked and used a lot. Never really got along with handhelds before that. Bought mine solely for Broken Sword 5: The Serpents Curse since I´m a huge fan of the franchise, and it was exclusive at the time. Played mostly indies and oldies but goldies from earlier PS-systems such as PSX and PSP. Tried a couple of blockbusters like Uncharted but it felt mostly like a watered down-version of the console games. It was the indie scene that made Vita what it was. Too bad Sony killed it with their stupid memory card nonsense and poor support. Because of this I will never invest in a handheld from Sony again.

Banned
I don't know where you live but there are a handful of new ones on Ebay. They are not cheap obviously but some of them are reasonable given they are still sealed after all these years.
I'm in the US. I can't find any used PSP's that don't look like they were involved in a crime scene. Always so scratched up and filthy looking.

I didn't even know they were still producing or selling these in the states anymore. Is there anyplace that still sells new stock?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There is any definitive hack for the last firmware?

I think the flow was holding off on releasing it until they were relatively certain that Sony wouldn't be releasing any additional firmware updates. Hopefully we'll get a 3.70 hack soon.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Agreed with hose that say it was a stupid console that shouldn’t have even existed.

Keep to home consoles, Sony has yet to make a dud.

pimentel1

Banned
I probably should see if there’s any more firmware updates.

Favorite games on the system:

Rogue Legacy
Dragon’s Crown

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It gave us Dangan Ronpa. Never forget.

I still play mine a lot while my 3DS sees no usage at all. Been playing Toukiden 2 on it lately on and off along with Super Robot Wars V.

I got SRW X, Steins;Gate 0, Muv Luv and more that I still have to play it.

Top Bottom