• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation Vita is officially discontinued

LMJ

Officially the discontinuation of an awesome handheld, hopefully firmware in the fans online can help give it life well after its Manufactured death

I know I'll do everything in my power to make sure mine lasts a long time, thank you playstation plus for ensuring that I have many many games to play in the future lol

cireza

My thoughts summarized in one sentence :

Thanks for the Vita Sony, and fuck you for the Vita Sony.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just like the PSP, it's a phenomenal portable retro games machine, and not much more. I'll use my OLED model to play old games until the day it dies, but I honestly couldn't name more than a handful of memorable Vita games.

Petrae

It’s a platform that deserved a better fate, but Sony bumbled and fumbled it almost from the start. It’s actually a minor miracle that the thing lasted this long, despite Sony’s best efforts to kill it sooner.

It’s almost like Sony gave up after Nintendo countered the Vita announcement with a major 3DS price cut, which suddenly made the Vita prohibitively expensive— and that was the base price, not including another major Sony screw-up: the exorbitantly-priced memory cards that were required to make games work.

The advertising campaign for the Vita could be categorized somewhere between “weak” and “nonexistent”. Retailers, at least here in the US— couldn’t be bothered to make much room on shelves for Vita and its games. Even if they had, virtually no one was asking for it.

Sony never managed to get major software support for Vita. The few significant IP that made it to the platform were developed by lesser teams, and the lower quality was obvious. After Sony gave up trying, it was pivoted into an indie platform.

The tragedy here is that the Vita was a great piece of hardware. It could’ve fared better, had Sony tried a bit harder. Instead, it was a niche group of loyal consumers who kept it afloat.

Ozrimandias

PS Vita TV with Retroarch - The best mini console out there. The ps Classic its so cheap right now, but, i don find any reason to buy one, thanks to the Vita TV and RetroArch.

I even sold a Snes Classic because of that

Last edited:

Akuza89

It was still being made?!?

For who? no one was buying it!

Everyone who wanted one got one, including me, it's just a shame as the console was good... it just lacked in the games department, oh and sony basically killed it by making it the black sheep of the family....

Really should have named it PSP2 and should have used micro SD cards...

PSP1 sold almost 100 million making it the most successful Nintendo handheld competitor...

Ugh Sony

Top Bottom