• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony president wants to improve margins on their multi-platform releases (Updated w/ analysis)

TrebleShot

btw; day 1 PC is not happening for games, unless they are live service or remakes/remasters because of a few factors:

-QA for PC releases takes substanatially longer than PS5 releases; they won't delay a PS5 version of a game
-Nobody wants buggy PC versions (not that it hasn't stopped them, or other companies before)
-Sony bought a dedicated studios to handle porting PC games (meaning they can only port games that are already complete)
-Double dippers provide big bucks without cannibalising sales
It’s cash on the table any way you look at it.

Therefore it will happen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
btw; day 1 PC is not happening for games, unless they are live service or remakes/remasters because of a few factors:

-QA for PC releases takes substanatially longer than PS5 releases; they won't delay a PS5 version of a game
-Nobody wants buggy PC versions (not that it hasn't stopped them, or other companies before)
-Sony bought a dedicated studios to handle porting PC games (meaning they can only port games that are already complete)
If this was 2019, people would be saying there would be zero ports.

When Sony started doing PC ports in 2020, the narrative changed to: At least they wont be day one

When Sony released The Show day one on Xbox, the narrative changed to: MLB forced them to do it, so that doesn't count

When Sony stated GAAS will likely be day one on PC, the narrative changed to: GAAS dont count

Sony hasnt even released any remakes/remasters day one on PC, but looks like the pre-narrative is already there as a day one possibility to soothe the flames

The last thing left is day one PC games for their big SP franchises.

Last edited:
Day one PlayStation exclusives on PC is a huge mistake unless maybe it’s live service or something. Look how well that worked out for Microsoft’s XBox console sales. Faster releases is one thing, but day one will essentially make owning a PS5 much less appealing and as lost pointless.

Last edited:

RGB'D

Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

Shit won't need a console. This is fantastic news!!! PC eating good

Last edited:

simpatico

No one wants to admit that Steam boxes finally make sense. The Deck proved you can do it. So much overhead could be saved for everyone in the industry.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think when people need to start taking note of is how this company is speaking right now and in this transitionary period of new leadership, clearly you can see that their form of talk and business decision making is the opposite of another company like Microsoft who isn't speaking like this. You have one of the leaders of the industry talking about these types of changes in order to soften the blow and keep costing down.

The less informed or more irrational take if you want to go down the forum dweller route, is to look at this from some kind of Fanboy perspective that doesn't acknowledge the business side of things. I find this very interesting kind of statements because it tells me that they're looking to be more efficient to reduce cost in order for the prices not to continue to go up. But everybody else can extrapolate certain things like they run a business or understand it instead of thinking rationally.

I would be more encouraged by reading things like this understanding that Sony is in a pretty dominant position and wants to improve versus the other way in sitting in stagnation

XesqueVara

Just looking back at how that group reacted to the PS5 specs I just wonder if that had any bearing on them thinking they did not need a Series X Pro type of console with even Phil saying the current Series X was their Pro

I know specs are locked in pretty early with tweaks and know they got the PS5 Pro specs quite early and they looked at those and thought something like "there is not a big bump, our Series X will be fine competing with it"

I also know something caused them to sort of scramble to push a Zen 5 nextbox out the door quite earlier than originally planned

These are just random thoughts btw
That's Interesting, Zen5 rumours across Tech forums are absurd, if they are true it might show why MS wants a box with it.

I dont.. I think that is a cascade event...eventually everyone will notice the advantages of playing ALL the games of ALL the platforms (outside nintendo) in just one machine.. and thst machine can also do emulation and modes ... Im a console player only by choice for several years and I will change to pc in a heart beat if exclusives are no more. Be assured the "normies" will follow eventually, information spreads fast. It will not be quickly but it is unavoidable imho.
First want to say I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say - the advantages for gamers/consumers of being able to play everything wherever you want are undeniable…

What I don’t understand is why there seems to be such resistance to the thought of it becoming a reality? I understand console warriors when it comes to justifying a purchase, but is there more to it than that? Do some people just want to argue, ridicule and be on the “winning team” ahead of what’s actually best for them?

I don’t get it. I lean heavily Microsoft because I prefer their hardware (and now Game Pass), but I do still want the occasional Sony exclusive - if I could do everything I want on one box why would I not be pulling for that? If that’s a PC with an Xbox controller, Game Pass and the ability to play PlayStation exclusives, or an Xbox with the same ability, or a PlayStation for people who prefer that, we still only need one box - win for me as a consumer surely, and more money available for game purchases?

First want to say I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say - the advantages for gamers/consumers of being able to play everything wherever you want are undeniable…

What I don’t understand is why there seems to be such resistance to the thought of it becoming a reality? I understand console warriors when it comes to justifying a purchase, but is there more to it than that? Do some people just want to argue, ridicule and be on the “winning team” ahead of what’s actually best for them?

I don’t get it. I lean heavily Microsoft because I prefer their hardware (and now Game Pass), but I do still want the occasional Sony exclusive - if I could do everything I want on one box why would I not be pulling for that? If that’s a PC with an Xbox controller, Game Pass and the ability to play PlayStation exclusives, or an Xbox with the same ability, or a PlayStation for people who prefer that, we still only need one box - win for me as a consumer surely, and more money available for game purchases?

Because it’s a fantasy that will never happen. Nintendo and Sony don’t want players to migrate off their platform stores

Only way this would possibly ever is if laws started forcing 0% fees for third parties

Everyone is thinking PC but I think Sony is thinking about releasing games on Nintendo, cloud and creating PSN streaming for TVs.

More people own PCs compared to console and yet console game sells have outpaced PC for years now. The money in gaming has and always will be with consoles.

Games like Roblox, Fortnite, etc have made PC gaming more popular among the younger audience in recent years but this is also because those games can be played on a low end PC which isn’t the case for the types of games Sony makes.

I think the “infinite growth” mindset of these companies is so annoying and it has killed so much passion in gaming and other hobbies, this PS5/Xbox Series gen is one of the worst console gen’s I can remember and I’m so glad I moved back to PC. Everything is so bland on consoles, from the low release of AAA games, increased game prices, 30 FPS ….

Who cares about all this “business” talk where are the “next gen” AAA games?

You're wrong. Besides the fact that Day 1 is already happening..

-QA will happen naturally during the development process. They wont "delay" a PS5 version, because it will release when it's announced to release on both platforms.
-Nobody also wants 2 year old ports.. which is why they're selling like shit. They can release both day and date, and high in quality.. they aren't mutually exclusive.
-Sony bought a dedicated studio to port their older games.... but also Naughty Dog put out a blog post about how they are incorporating PC development into their studios culture and released TLOU P1, Guerrilla Games worked with Nixxes on Forbidden West. Sony Bend handled the Days Gone port.. and so on. Nixxes is very tightly incorporated into Insomniac and it would not be surprising to see them develop a PC version of a game alongside Insomniac. Multiple studios work on projects all the time, handling different aspects of development.
-You don't have any information on what double dippers provide or whether it would cannibalize sales or not. Nothing suggests that the potential lost sales on the console side wouldn't be more than offset by the improvements on the PC side.

There's some hilarious notion that the distinction between "console selling games" stops with single player blockbusters... as if the same doesn't apply to.... massively popular multiplayer games... If Sony wants to bring people into the PS5 platform... then having the next "Palworld" service type game exclusive to it's console specifically would be the thing to bring in the casuals..

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
You're wrong. Besides the fact that Day 1 is already happening..

-QA will happen naturally during the development process. They wont "delay" a PS5 version, because it will release when it's announced to release on both platforms.
-Nobody also wants 2 year old ports.. which is why they're selling like shit.. they can release both day and date, and high in quality.
-Sony bought a dedicated studio to port their older games.... but also Naughty Dog put out a blog post about how they are incorporating PC development into their studios culture and released TLOU P1, Guerrilla Games worked with Nixxes on Forbidden West. Sony Bend handled the Days Gone port.. and so on. Nixxes is very tightly incorporated into Insomniac and it would not be surprising to see them develop a PC version of a game alongside Insomniac. Multiple studios work on projects all the time, handling different aspects of development.
-You don't have any information on what double dippers provide or whether it would cannibalize sales or not. Nothing suggests that the potential lost sales on the console side wouldn't be more than offset by the improvements on the PC side.

There's some hilarious notion that the distinction between "console selling games" stops with single player blockbusters... as if the same doesn't apply to.... massively popular multiplayer games... If Sony wants to bring people into the PS5 platform... then having the next "Palworld" service type game exclusive to it's console specifically would be the thing to bring in the casuals..

-QA done a the end of the development cycle once a game goes into beta.
-Even if the inhouse developer has PC experience it doesn't change the fact that the PC version will take substantially longer to complete.
-They won't delay a PS5 version because it's the lead platform. they'll release it first while getting the PC version polished.
-Day and date games DO cannabalise sales on competing storefronts.
-An exclusive library does sell consoles

You're completely misunderstanding the core of the playstation business. It's not about making hardware, or selling software.
It's about playstation as a platform. The 30% cut they get from every sales is a gigantic part of their revenue.
Not just for first party games. But more importantly, every single 3rd party game. They get this for doing almost nothing.
They're looking as PC and mobile as additional revenue without comprimising this.

Will games sell more with day and date PC releases? - Yes.
Will steam cannibalise PS store sales - Yes.

PC gamers are more than happy to pay full price for year late ports.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Oh I dont desagree with you... everyone shoud play whatever they like on the machine they like but until now was not a reality... maybe things are about to change for everyone ... who knows

Fredrik

So many people switched from consoles to pc. Can't agree that it isn't the same market.
So many? How many? I don’t think there is any numbers on swappers. It’s known that PC gaming is growing but that’s about it. Is console gaming shrinking? I haven’t seen that.

I’m thinking it’s mostly younger people, in the 20s, who hasn’t really been dedicated console gamers who’re the big bulk of new PC gamers. Or kids who don’t have to pay themselves. I don’t think there is some mass exodus going on among old console gamers. Not yet. But I don’t have any proof, just anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
but how do you grow console if you release day 1 1st party games on other platforms like PC?
Easy.

The big PC port sales (ie. Helldivers 2) totally outweigh the silly argument that if PS games go PC, then tons of PS gamers will sell their PS4 or PS5 and permanently flock to PC and buy a good rig where it's Steam and GOG downloads forever.

If anything it'll be a boon. Way more incremental sales from existing PC gamers, while the vast majority of PS gamers dont move. Also, there's an extra bonus.... double dippers. Look how often on GAF have you read that a console gamer will buy the PC port after already playing it on PS. A company's wet dream is repeat sales, even moreso for products like video games where you'd think people are one and done with a game. It's not like someone eating a bag of chips for $2 over a weekend itching for another bag when they are done. Repeat sales are expected in consumable things like food an drink, not video games. It'd be like someone buying a second or third edition of Monopoly, or a movie watcher buying a BR disc, 4k disc and also a Google download. Not really expected. But if the customer base is amped on it, then that's fantastic news.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Sounds like they mixed up the Hiroki Totoki and Phil Spencer interviews. As always, I expect an overreaction.

Last edited:

Fabieter

So many? How many? I don’t think there is any numbers on swappers. It’s known that PC gaming is growing but that’s about it. Is console gaming shrinking? I haven’t seen that.

I’m thinking it’s mostly younger people, in the 20s, who hasn’t really been dedicated console gamers who’re the big bulk of new PC gamers. Or kids who don’t have to pay themselves. I don’t think there is some mass exodus going on among old console gamers. Not yet. But I don’t have any proof, just anecdotal evidence.

Well I have anecdotal evidence that alot of people switched so we never know.

Is that legal ?

It's kinda of a grey area. The only problem is some websites selling stolen keys which is actually worse for the devs than pirates because they cant get chargeback for the games although they didn't make any money.

S0ULZB0URNE

tbf. consoles has less cheaters, DRM and mutliple launchers and its cheaper.
Some games have always online requirement or DRM just for the PC platform.
Competitive multiplayer (unless crossplay is forced)
I do on consoles because of the cheating.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Agreed. Having different games bound to each system and three separate console subscriptions is getting cumbersome. It feels totally unnecessary and artificial in 2024.

I just want all my licenses on PC, I don't care if it's across multiple storefronts, but the one device is what matters to me.

Yes, brother! Testify!

The licenses we've paid for should be playable on any device capable of running them.

Unlock our games!

Barakov

Gold Member
Still seems like a bad move. It was a bad move for Xbox and it's a bad move for Playstation. Also, There's still quite a bit of people who still like physical so thankfully PS consoles will around for a while yet. If they can get PS studio games elsewhere then they're not really growing. They're growing someone else's storefront.

-QA done a the end of the development cycle once a game goes into beta.
-Even if the inhouse developer has PC experience it doesn't change the fact that the PC version will take substantially longer to complete.
-They won't delay a PS5 version because it's the lead platform. they'll release it first while getting the PC version polished.
-Day and date games DO cannabalise sales on competing storefronts.
-An exclusive library does sell consoles

You're completely misunderstanding the core of the playstation business. It's not about making hardware, or selling software.
It's about playstation as a platform. The 30% cut they get from every sales is a gigantic part of their revenue.
Not just for first party games. But more importantly, every single 3rd party game. They get this for doing almost nothing.
They're looking as PC and mobile as additional revenue without comprimising this.

Will games sell more with day and date PC releases? - Yes.
Will steam cannibalise PS store sales - Yes.

PC gamers are more than happy to pay full price for year late ports.
-QA is a part of development.
-No it wont take longer to complete. Does anyone who plays any multiplatform game which releases day ever say "that PC version took substantially longer to complete" ? No.
-They wont delay the PS5 version... because the PS5 version wont be scheduled to release before the game is done across both platforms... I mean look at Helldivers 2. Is anyone saying that the PS5 version was delayed to release along with the PC version?? No, they don't. That's ridiculous.
-You have no proof that there is any cannibalization.. and that the benefit wouldn't outweigh any potential negative. IE growth.
-And Sony will still have those games exclusively on consoles... Anyone looking to buy a console, will buy a PS console to play these games. Sony wants to expand their business to people who DON'T want to buy a console.

I'm not misunderstanding anything. I fully understand Sony's business is to sell their platform and get people into their ecosystem buying games and paying for online. Absolutely nothing about that will change. You're vastly overestimating the amount of people in the real world who give a shit about the games they bought a console for being exclusive. That's simply just a very vocal minority.

And I think it's quite clear that PC gamers are not more than happy to pay full price for years later ports. Their biggest franchise games haven't exactly lit the Steam charts on fire. Helldivers 2 has done substantially better than those games.. and it's day 1. The exact same thing will apply to their single player games in the future. Sony see the potential.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think what people are not focusing on is the 5 percent margin. That is atrocious and not sustainable.

Yes, you sold shitloads of consoles. You look at the top line number of what they sold...but at what cost. It's not sustainable. They obviously can't afford price cuts on hardware and they are fast approaching the cap for people who are willing to pay 500 dollars for this box.

Every company Is going to make drastic decisions to try and improve their profits. Only Nintendo walks from this unscathed.

Sony, pc day one at a minimum
Ms cutting back support on console and going third party.

It's going to be a wild few years and only those who don't give a fuck will win out.

If you have an allegiance to a plastic box and some emotional attachment you're going to be going through some stuff.

Also, invest in a PC. It really is the best move anyone can make.

Last edited:

Fabieter

-QA is a part of development.
-No it wont take longer to complete. Does anyone who plays any multiplatform game which releases day ever say "that PC version took substantially longer to complete" ? No.
-They wont delay the PS5 version... because the PS5 version wont be scheduled to release before the game is done across both platforms... I mean look at Helldivers 2. Is anyone saying that the PS5 version was delayed to release along with the PC version?? No, they don't. That's ridiculous.
-You have no proof that there is any cannibalization.. and that the benefit wouldn't outweigh any potential negative. IE growth.
-And Sony will still have those games exclusively on consoles... Anyone looking to buy a console, will buy a PS console to play these games. Sony wants to expand their business to people who DON'T want to buy a console.

I'm not misunderstanding anything. I fully understand Sony's business is to sell their platform and get people into their ecosystem buying games and paying for online. Absolutely nothing about that will change. You're vastly overestimating the amount of people in the real world who give a shit about the games they bought a console for being exclusive. That's simply just a very vocal minority.

And I think it's quite clear that PC gamers are not more than happy to pay full price for years later ports. Their biggest franchise games haven't exactly lit the Steam charts on fire. Helldivers 2 has done substantially better than those games.. and it's day 1. The exact same thing will apply to their single player games in the future. Sony see the potential.

Are we seriously compare a 40 bucks coop game which pc gamers absolutely adore. And lets be honest there aint many options with high producrions values to sp games which alot of people depise for being to cut scene heavy.

How can you make the assumption that any potential gains will outweigh the potential losses. Businesses decisions and investments are often risky and they don't always pay off with easy money. Germany had the biggest pharmaceutical company in the world in the 90s and 10 years later it was sold off to a French company because the CEO did a shitton of bad business decisions which he thought would grow the business.

I agree that sony should expand their ecosystem, they have to kind off but for it to make sense they have to shift from epic and steam to their own solution. I know alot of people won't like that, let's be honest some of the steam fanboys are on the same level as the console warriors but sony can't just port everything to another platform without trying to control the content to some extent.

Rayderism

I don't mind if they go multi-platform, everyone deserves to have good games to play, but they should at least make them exclusive to Playstation for about a year or so first, to keep themselves relevant in the console market, and to keep consoles in general relevant.

I see SONY looking to Nintendo Switch 2 for some of their games and all their games will come to PC as well and more and more will be day 1

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Very legal.
I don't think you are supposed to do that , I remember awhile ago steam have done something regarding steam prices from different countries due to people buying games from different region or country

It’s cash on the table any way you look at it.

Therefore it will happen.
I don't see it either. It does give them a profit, their pc releases but it wasn't that big if i recall it correctly. I do believe that companies need to look at AAA development differently and find ways to decrease the investments in it. How i don't know but if a game costs 200+ million i wonder where the f that money goes into.
Playing TR trilogy remaster now i realise i don't need ultra vast games or chasing super high-end graphics. Current graphics like TLOUII are more then fine by me the next years…

Mister Wolf

I don't think you are supposed to do that , I remember awhile ago steam have done something regarding steam prices from different countries due to people buying games from different region or country

I'm pretty sure I'm free to do whatever I want as long as it is legal within my country.

Fabieter

I don't see it either. It does give them a profit, their pc releases but it wasn't that big if i recall it correctly. I do believe that companies need to look at AAA development differently and find ways to decrease the investments in it. How i don't know but if a game costs 200+ million i wonder where the f that money goes into.
Playing TR trilogy remaster now i realise i don't need ultra vast games or chasing super high-end graphics. Current graphics like TLOUII are more then fine by me the next years…

Look at how people reacted to the Rebirth demo on ps5. If a games doesn't look like 50% better it will get hate from a specific customer base.

leizzra

As much as buying a gaming PC is an option (as always), consoles still have some advantages and that's why I myself would like them to be successful as long as it can be.

Ease of use, still less bugged games then on the PC is the things that people think at first but consoles are much more. It's a single system that you are making games for. It is predictable in terms of behaviour and every gamer has the same configuration. It's a big advantage in how games are being made. You get what you paid for and even more.

Sure it depends on the developers and this days it seams that some of them got lazy/used to some simple solutions, but still it's better. Also you know that your hardware is used to it's fullest (more or less because you can find a way to do something better/cheaper so you'll have an overhead to use). You can buy RTX4090 or what will come next and it's a great card but it's being used only in a small portion of it's capabilities. It's like buying a super car but you know that you'll be driving it only on city streets (with holes, speed bumps, traffic, etc.) with taking into account speed limits. It's nice, it's expensive but the same time it's horribly underutilised. And in two-three years time you may need to change it for newer one because the performance will get worse. It's not the car getting worse it's the roads will make him perform worse.

Also I think that casuals still will chose a easy platform for games not a PC. So if the consoles would perform worse or be degraded in popularity I think it'll be seen in sales of games. Casuals may go elsewhere, like to Nintendo or mobiles. This may have an impact on games made for PC.

It's a thing about balance that's why I think everyone should be cheering for consoles.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
No,most money they make is having you in the ecosystem buying games off PSN and subscribing to PSplus to play online and unless they somehow bring PSN and its store to other consoles or even PC then they still need the consoles for profits even if they sell the console at a loss.

My response to Sony if they do intend to make their console obsolete with lack of exclusives following in the footsteps of Microsoft...
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

You don’t make your console obsolete because you allow your software on other platforms. Windows is not obsolete because Office is on MACOS, or because every 3rd party PC runs Windows, nor is Apple obsolete because other devices can have Apple Music and Apple TV.

Hudo

Still think their worst decision was to buy out bungie of all things and they overpaid big Time for them.
I also hate that Sony did not step in and tell Bungie to stop being retarded and make Marathon an actual Marathon game. You know, singleplayer and stuff. They can still keep the extraction shooter bullshit for a separate online mode.

Fabieter

I also hate that Sony did not step in and tell Bungie to stop being retarded and make Marathon an actual Marathon game. You know, singleplayer and stuff. They can still keep the extraction shooter bullshit for a separate online mode.

Oh totally it was the same shit with the last dissidia final fantasy. The forced online mode was okay, just give the fans of the franchise in addition what they bought the previous games for. God I loved that game on psp.

Top Bottom