• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony registers trademark for the new controller. It's called:

solarplexus said:
Gamefront is a german site and the word "Poo" doesn't exist in their language. So there's no reason to write "Poo" instead of "P Infinity-Symbol S" for them.
Yeah...was I the only one who picked up on this? Or was my common sense tingling?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SolidSnakex said:
Isn't this what they registered?

pooscontr0rl.jpg

Looks like a infinity sign to me and not a oo.

The P infinity S is so random and nonsensical, they needed to include `PS controller` in katakana right under it...heh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just realized that the infinity symbol in that picture isn`t even a proper infinity symbol: the right side is bigger than the left. It`s a sideways eight. XD

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
TheTrin said:
I just realized that the infinity symbol in that picture isn`t even a proper infinity symbol: the right side is bigger than the left. It`s a sideways eight. XD

you mean its not PoOs?

thetrin

davepoobond said:
you mean its not PoOs?

I`m sorry, it`s not really short for `Poo Operating System.`

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The infinity symbol does not require each 'o' to be the same size.

It seems it bears repeating, but this is most likely a typed version of a drawing. The placement of everything in the drawing may be completely different.

Zaptruder

Banned
pooscontr0rl.jpg

It would be a supremely bad idea to call the controller; PooS. But at the same time, it's a bit reaching to call that the PooS (either poo, or piece of shit). It wouldn't even be pronounced as Poos (at least I hope to god it isn't).

But as with the Wii, the name regardless isn't going to stop me from purchasing one.

As long as its not; Analblaster 2006*. Although both names are straying uncomfortably into that territory!

If the Wii was called this, I'd have to order everything online

Although someone may have already mentioned this (I didn't want to read through the five pages of thread) does anyone else see a future where this controller's name starts becoming pronounced P.O.S. (Pee-OH-ESS) which means piece of shit?

Not saying the controller is a piece of shit of course.
(Or am I?)

After reading the post above me I realize I was beaten to it.
Also, the use of an infinity symbol is terrible. People will just end up calling it the double shock three, or one of the joke names.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow. Just freakin' wow.

This generation is sliding down the track at breakneck speed into WTFville.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
The Playstation Infinity Shock or as someone said it earlier, P.I.S.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wii is still worse because it's the console name. Most casual gamers don't know what their Ps2 controller was called, so it's not as big a deal. Both names suck, however.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
plagiarize said:
a mobius strip is kind of associated with infinity also as it has one never ending side... so it may well be meant to represent BOTH.

never ending sides = infinity = never ending potential?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hero said:
I think the eight is referring to the eight-way tilt sensor technology, right?

It's actually six degrees...

Either way, it's weird as hell, as weird as when the news got out for the Wii announcement...

I'm gonna have to say that I'll wait till Sony officially announces this to confirm if they've really gone off the rocker...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Okay this news is now offically WRONG!!!

'One' from B3D (the poster that brought you the MGS4 real-time demo translation here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atrKG7L3C1k) has translated and investigated this news and here's what he has learned.

I don't know who first found the trademark application of the PS3 controller, but apparently he/she has little experience with the Japanese trademark database.

You can search Japanese trademarks from here
http://www.ipdl.ncipi.go.jp/Syouhyou/syouhyou.htm
and the said trademark for the PS3 controller is Trademark Application 2006-40965. It has 8 images, but all of them are just the drawings of the PS3 controller from different angles.

The trademark section is with the note "(for query)". What is actually written in there as "Trademark (for query)" is actually "§P∞S", not even "P∞S". How to pronounce the trademark is also registered, and it's the same as "PS", no infinity or whatever. So what do those '§' and '∞' mean in the context of the trademarks database? Apparently they are control characters.

To illustrate what those control characters mean we can browse other trademarks. For example H10-58610 by SCE has this image:

Its trademark for query is "§X∞I∞[sai]". '§' in the head means it's an image trademark, not a word trademark. So what does '∞' mean? I think it means it changes where characters are put in a trademark image. Another control character that appears in trademarks is '\', which means CR-LF.

Another question is, why the mere drawings of the PS3 controller have "§P∞S" as the query term. I think it's because the PS3 controller has a button with the PS symbol at the center of it. I can verify this theory since Trademark Application 2005-49788 is for the most famous PS symbol and its query term is also "§P∞S".

Basically, the party is over, we know nothing about the name of the PS3 controller yet

Or you can click on the following link to go directly to his post.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=784999&postcount=13

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
And finally..:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ an awful lot of people in this thread. I wouldn't normally, but the apparent seriousness and of some of the over-reaction here was priceless.

Zaptruder

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Okay this news is now offically WRONG!!!

'One' from B3D (the poster that brought you the MGS4 real-time demo translation here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atrKG7L3C1k) has translated and investigated this news and here's what he has learned.

Or you can click on the following link to go directly to his post.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showpost.php?p=784999&postcount=13

Nice find. Intresting, and very confusing info on Japanese patent systems. Probably why Sony lost out on the rumble patent to Immersion! :p

Top Bottom