• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sues George 'geohot' Hotz and fail0verflow over PS3 jailbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Faceless Master said:
yeah, it's now apparent that something inherent to the PS3's design makes data reading slow as shit since 360 DVD's load faster, and 360 installs are even faster than that, while PS3 installs are barely faster than BD.
The PS3 has a larger bottleneck than the 360. It's the PS3's largest downfall to be honest. It would be able to push a lot better graphics if the bottleneck was even comparable to the 360's. You can read specifics on what causes the bottlenecks on some sites. Not exactly sure where, maybe beyond3d has a good explanation.

Raist

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
yeah, it's now apparent that something inherent to the PS3's design makes data reading slow as shit since 360 DVD's load faster, and 360 installs are even faster than that, while PS3 installs are barely faster than BD.

On average PS3's BD drive is slightly faster than the 360's DVD drive for DL-DVDs. Which are like 99% of 360 games. Is it 2006 again or something?

Zoe

Raist said:
On average PS3's BD drive is slightly faster than the 360's DVD drive for DL-DVDs. Which are like 99% of 360 games. Is it 2006 again or something?

While I agree, DVD's do have the advantage of putting critical data along the inner part of the ring. For BD it doesn't matter where the data is, it all comes down at the same rate.

Jobiensis

Raist said:

But still PS3 games load slow compared to 360 games, which is what I thought TFM meant.

Marcan's use of chilling effects is correct. Source code is considered protected speech in the U.S. And the arguments on how this harms corporations was the same sort of twisted logic that made it illegal to export encryption algorithms, except those could be argued to be for the general public good, rather than the good of a corporate entity.

Copyright laws in the U.S. are not there to protect corporations, they exist to promote technology moving forward. DMCA has had the reverse effect.

Let's say a mathematician figures out an algorithm to factor prime numbers that doesn't require an exponential increase in work for larger numbers. He could be sued by practically every company in existence if he published the algorithm. Is it that hard to see that the laws are impeding technology moving forward by restricting the free flow of information? Whether or not this is good for Sony is irrelevant. What is good for the industry and technology is more important.

Where would we be if Compaq never reverse engineered the IBM PC? With TPM the same arguments you are using for consoles will start to apply to PCs, in fact for all practical purposes the HD consoles are PCs. The government should not be protecting the game consoles business model (razor blades) so the current companies can make their money back. The gaming console companies should be selecting successful business models. People will pirate, it is an expected loss in the software business. People will modify devices they own, if that has a serious effect on your business model, your business model sucks.

The PS3 with its years of being impenetrable still couldn't get past third place, and IIRC it's attach rate is worse than it's HD competitor. The reason Sony is going after geohot has more to do with Sony's corporate failures than anything else. Nobody's going to stop developing for PS3, Cheating was already happening and will always happen, Piracy rates will go up (they can only go up) but will not have a large impact on sales. Lawsuits will not stop or slow any of it. You don't launch lawsuits to keep your stockholder's happy, you post profits.

Jobiensis said:
Whether or not this is good for Sony [...and other entities that suffer from piracy...] is irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. It is (very arguably) less important, but it's not irrelevant.

What is good for the industry and technology is more important.

It is quite arguable whether rampant piracy brings less or more harm to the industry than does positive effect of Hotz's actions. It's not as black and white as that.

Where would we be if Compaq never reverse engineered the IBM PC?

Compaq used clean room reverse engineering, which is completely legal and besides that is in major ways different from the actions taken here by Hotz/etc.

The gaming console companies should be selecting successful business models.

Now THAT (while true) is irrelevant. Yes, they should, for their stockholders' benefit. That does not mean, however, that all threats on their profitability (of which piracy is only one) should be ignored by saying, "just have a different business model." It's like telling a business owner assailed by protection money extortionists that they should just suck it up and make more money elsewhere.

People will pirate, it is an expected loss in the software business.

People will rob, it is an expected loss in the banking business. Therefore, banks should make no effort to protect themselves against robberies.

I think not.

The PS3 with its years of being impenetrable still couldn't get past third place, and IIRC it's attach rate is worse than it's HD competitor.

Holy irrelevance, Batman! The impact of illegal practice X (in this case, piracy) is only a part of the business success of product Y (in this case, consoles). Trying to imply that because PS3 is in a close race for 2nd place, piracy is not an issue is ridiculous. There are tons of variables contributing to how well a console does in the marketplace. It is complete nonsense to try to tie just security to console performance. It's utter misdirection, whether intentional or not.

The reason Sony is going after geohot has more to do with Sony's corporate failures than anything else.

No, the reason Sony is going after geohot is that they feel he wronged them by enabling piracy, which makes them lose money.

Nobody's going to stop developing for PS3,

Yes, it'll just be harder for them to make money doing so.

Cheating was already happening and will always happen,

Misdirection. Cheating has been happening a lot more since the jailbreak, and I can damn well guarantee you that these newish hacks will make it become more rampant and much easier.

Also, killing was already happening and will always happen. So?

Piracy rates will go up (they can only go up) but will not have a large impact on sales.

You sound very sure. What's your source? Piracy has been shown to have a huge effect on sales of PC games, for example. Probably it won't have THAT much of an effect on PS3 (different culture, different timing), but to just say, point-blank, that it will have no significant effect on sales -- that's highly questionable.

Lawsuits will not stop or slow any of it. You don't launch lawsuits to keep your stockholder's happy, you post profits.

This first sentence is probably true. Stopping... not going to happen. Slowing, maybe. The second sentence is true... except that sometime launching lawsuits helps you post profits. Sony is trying to do just that.

Now, with the responses above, let me clarify. Those of you saying that Sony winning this case will have a negative effect on innovation, consumer rights, etc. may be right. Perhaps, on balance, it is better that Sony loses. However, I take issue with posts like the above, because the thought process there is wrong. It's like, well: "I want Sony to lose, because if they won, then my consumer rights would be infringed, and technical innovation would be stifled. Hmm... but then there's this issue of piracy... that does seem kind of bad. How do I square that with my desire.... Oh, I know! I'll just pretend that piracy is not actually that bad, that its effects are minor, that any attempt to fight it just means you should suck it up and come up with a different business model, that any attempt to fight it just posturing for the shareholders. Sony sucks!"

Yes, "Sony just sucks at what they do [hint: they kind of deserve it]!" is always an attractive way to deflect any potential decent points that anti-Hotz people might make. It eliminates the need to have difficult thoughts and an inner debate about the two sides of the issue. However, it is not intellectually honest. It is not looking at both sides of the issue. It is skewed in one direction.

Jobiensis

I hate when people pick sentences and try to respond to them individually while ignoring the entire premise of the post. You are replying out of context and don't seem to understand, because all the answers are already there.

paraphrased
1) Copyright laws in the U.S. are not there to protect corporations, they exist to promote technology moving forward. (Primary Point)
2) DMCA inhibits innovation.
3) What is good for one company is irrelevant (look at 1)
4) Compaq could not have built a clone PC if TPM and DMCA existed (look at 1 and 2)
5) Copyright laws are not to protect a corporate business model (look at 1)
6) Lack of piracy did not help Sony's position in the market
7) Sony's desperation is making them to go after geohot (see MS and c4eva)
8) Stuff will happen, lawsuits don't stop or slow it (see numerous consoles, CSS, etc)
9) Stockholders care about profits
10) Launching lawsuits that won't amount to anything because of stockholders is stupid (see 8 and 9)

Per your individual points, most of them are trying to pull a statement out of context.

RedRedSuit said:
It's not irrelevant. It is (very arguably) less important, but it's not irrelevant.
Sony's harm is irrelevant to my point, reread my previous post pay attention to why copyright law exists.

RedRedSuit said:
It is quite arguable whether rampant piracy brings less or more harm to the industry than does positive effect of Hotz's actions. It's not as black and white as that.
There is no evidence that piracy has slowed innovation even if restricted to the console market.

RedRedSuit said:
Compaq used clean room reverse engineering, which is completely legal and besides that is in major ways different from the actions taken here by Hotz/etc.
Please explain how Compaq would implement their firmware to run code built for IBM PCs with a TPM system.

RedRedSuit said:
Now THAT (while true) is irrelevant. Yes, they should, for their stockholders' benefit. That does not mean, however, that all threats on their profitability (of which piracy is only one) should be ignored by saying, "just have a different business model." It's like telling a business owner assailed by protection money extortionists that they should just suck it up and make more money elsewhere.
Copyright law is not to protect business models. If you think that is irrelevant, you didn't read my post because that was the primary point.

RedRedSuit said:
Stupid analogy
When banks start lawsuits against people explaining how to break their system you may have a point.

RedRedSuit said:
Holy irrelevance, Batman! The impact of illegal practice X (in this case, piracy) is only a part of the business success of product Y (in this case, consoles). Trying to imply that because PS3 is in a close race for 2nd place, piracy is not an issue is ridiculous. There are tons of variables contributing to how well a console does in the marketplace. It is complete nonsense to try to tie just security to console performance. It's utter misdirection, whether intentional or not.
Piracy did not prevent the PS3 from market dominance. Piracy doesn't imply market success or failure.

Piracy is not a large determinant in the direction of the console market.

Sony's position in the market is because of their decisions. If you have any proof contrary to that it would help debate and be more intellectually honest to post that rather than herp, derp, fanboy.

Jobiensis said:
I hate when people pick sentences and try to respond to them individually while ignoring the entire premise of the post. You are replying out of context and don't seem to understand, because all the answers are already there.

I agreed with part of your post and did not respond to that part. I even acknowledged this at the end of your post.

I understood your post quite well. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I got the gist of your attitude right. I addressed that in the last part of my post too.

Per your individual points, most of them are trying to pull a statement out of context.

Not at all. The gist of your post is quite clear. Basically, you don't want Sony (and others) to stifle technical innovation and consumer rights; meanwhile, you don't believe piracy to be a significant enough threat to the market to matter in this discussion, even if were relevant. I disagree with the latter.

There is no evidence that piracy has slowed innovation even if restricted to the console market.

Harming "innovation," even if that were a quantifiable thing, is not the only possible harm piracy can bring.

Please explain how Compaq would implement their firmware to run code built for IBM PCs with a TPM system.

I don't have to explain that, because it is a tangent in the context of what I said. But wait, I know! I guess if Compaq were blocked by a TPM and couldn't reverse-engineer the IBM PC that way, perhaps they should come up with a different business model rather than copying their competitors all the time. </sarcasm>

Copyright law is not to protect business models. If you think that is irrelevant, you didn't read my post because that was the primary point.

Strawman. My point, in response to yours, is to point out that whether or not Sony's business model is good or not is irrelevant to whether they should try to fight piracy this way or not. Implying that that it's somehow relevant is akin to saying victims of robbery should just move to a different area of town and make money that way.

When banks start lawsuits against people explaining how to break their system you may have a point.

No, I already have a point, because my point was not reliant on making an exact analogy between a bank and a console. The point was to shoot down this whole ridiculous idea of "if piracy hurts your business model, then it's your fault because your business model sucks." Whether or not your business model sucks, you have a right and a need to fight people robbing you. Fixing your business model is a different issue.

Piracy did not prevent the PS3 from market dominance. Piracy doesn't imply market success or failure.

Once again: this is fallacious logic. Like I said, explicitly, piracy is one factor. To say that PS3 is in 3rd despite lack of piracy and use that as proof that piracy isn't that big a deal is utterly illogical, because a million other variables that lead to success or failure in the console space.

If a supermarket chain fails, despite having airtight security and thus 0 shoplifting over its lifetime, that is in NO way proof that shoplifting does not hurt supermarkets. For example, the supermarket's supply chain may have been mismanaged. It's akin to saying, "A + B + C + D = 0, therefore A <= 0."

Piracy is not a large determinant in the direction of the console market.

Uh, yes, it is. I mean, piracy is "not a large determinant" because there's relatively little of it in the console market. To be precise, the (relative) lack of piracy is one of the reasons the console market is relatively robust (for big budget games). It is certainly one of the oft-stated reasons why, for example, publishers tend to focus on console games vs. PC games, when it's possible. The relative closedness of consoles, to date (at least in the mainstream) has certainly contributed to their success. Of course, it's not the only factor (also: price, consistent of hardware, ease of use), but it's certainly a significant factor. Similarly, PSP failed in non-Japanese markets for several reasons; piracy was one of them but certainly not the only one.

If piracy were as easy on consoles as it is on PCs, sales would undoubtedly be affected. Significantly. Before you ask me for a source: (a) you made your claims first, so the burden of proof is on you; and (b) it's just common sense.

Sony's position in the market is because of their decisions. If you have any proof contrary to that

Strawman. I never denied this at all. What I did deny is that this somehow can be used to diminish the effects of piracy and sweep them under the rug. Sony's pricing, marketing, technology, timing: these things contributed to their drop in market share. On the other hand, the lack of piracy on PS3 certainly helped them... just not enough. The fact that it didn't proper them over the top in no way suggests that it's not a significant factor. That is a logical fallacy.

Basically, if Sony were flying high right now, PS2-style, they could still sue Hotz... and they would not be any more or less wrong in doing so. Their performance in the market is irrelevant, because it depends on many variables -- not just piracy.

rather than herp, derp, fanboy.

I was not implying you were being a fanboy at all. I was implying that you (and many other people) tend to sweep the other side of the argument under the rug, because you know what outcome you want. The reason this is a difficult topic is that, on the one hand, we don't want corporations to dictate what people do or don't do with their property, but on the other hand, we don't want piracy to hurt the industry. Pretending that the latter is not a significant factor is an easy way to resolve the difficulty of the topic at hand -- but that's all it is, pretense. Or wishful thinking.

Zoe said:
Because it's a myth that the BD drive is "slow as shit."

And people who have installed to the HDD have said there's no significant gain in loading times.

Doesn't ModNation Racers have a huge jump in loading time when off the HDD compared to the disc? Even without the loading patch they did, if you take the original game and load it to the HDD the game I heard loads way faster.

yurinka

Jobiensis said:
But still PS3 games load slow compared to 360 games, which is what I thought TFM meant.

Marcan's use of chilling effects is correct. Source code is considered protected speech in the U.S. And the arguments on how this harms corporations was the same sort of twisted logic that made it illegal to export encryption algorithms, except those could be argued to be for the general public good, rather than the good of a corporate entity.

Copyright laws in the U.S. are not there to protect corporations, they exist to promote technology moving forward. DMCA has had the reverse effect.

Let's say a mathematician figures out an algorithm to factor prime numbers that doesn't require an exponential increase in work for larger numbers. He could be sued by practically every company in existence if he published the algorithm. Is it that hard to see that the laws are impeding technology moving forward by restricting the free flow of information? Whether or not this is good for Sony is irrelevant. What is good for the industry and technology is more important.

Where would we be if Compaq never reverse engineered the IBM PC? With TPM the same arguments you are using for consoles will start to apply to PCs, in fact for all practical purposes the HD consoles are PCs. The government should not be protecting the game consoles business model (razor blades) so the current companies can make their money back. The gaming console companies should be selecting successful business models. People will pirate, it is an expected loss in the software business. People will modify devices they own, if that has a serious effect on your business model, your business model sucks.

The PS3 with its years of being impenetrable still couldn't get past third place, and IIRC it's attach rate is worse than it's HD competitor. The reason Sony is going after geohot has more to do with Sony's corporate failures than anything else. Nobody's going to stop developing for PS3, Cheating was already happening and will always happen, Piracy rates will go up (they can only go up) but will not have a large impact on sales. Lawsuits will not stop or slow any of it. You don't launch lawsuits to keep your stockholder's happy, you post profits.
BTW Marcan isn't from US. Can be sued in US when he just coded something in the other part of the world?

Zoe

yurinka said:
BTW Marcan isn't from US. Can be sued in US when he just coded something in the other part of the world?

They can sue him, but nothing will happen unless he comes to the US--either voluntarily or involuntarily.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
To keep this entirely on topic, Hotz has filed for dismissal:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20110202220600258

Looks like a fairly convincing case. Firstly it turns up some hideously misleading statements (one might almost say 'lies') in the Sony case. The classic selective quoting for the 'blackmail' charge is quite comical. But secondly it makes a strong case (with precedent) on the reasonableness test for specific jurisdiction. Even if you accept Sony's entire case, which it's hard to do on reading this, it's hard to argue against the facts put forward in that last section, and from PJ's write-up the requirement is on Sony to prove the first two parts of the test but then on Hotz to argue back on the third (reasonableness). Only if the judge accepts Sony's part and rejects Hotz's is it possible for the court to claim jurisdiction.

A couple quotes:

The Complaint also alleges Mr. Hotz made the statement “If you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me” and directed it at SCEA. Complaint ¶45. The double-hearsay quote, derived from a screenshot within a forum post within a website at , omits the full statement, which undermines SCEA's claim that Mr. Hotz directed any statement toward SCEA:
“if you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me. any of you 3.” Declaration of Bricker [Dkt. No. 42] Exh. T (emphasis added).

Ouch. Not only did they carefully snip context from the quote that proves he wasn't just targeting SCEA, they also ignore the fact (which the documents go on to demonstrate) that they don't actually make the PS3 in the first place, so it's only Sony Inc that Hotz could have been talking to in any case. Sony Inc, as they point out, is not based in California, but in Japan.

On reasonableness:

The burden on Mr. Hotz defending in this forum is high. Mr. Hotz is a 21 year old New Jersey resident with limited means to defend a suit on the other side of the country. Therefore, forcing Mr. Hotz to defend a lawsuit literally across the country will deprive Mr. Hotz of due process.

"The burden on the defendant must be examined in light of the corresponding burden on the plaintiff." Sinatra v. National Enquirer, Inc., 854 F.2d 1191, 1199 (9th Cir. 1988). SCEA is unquestionably a large international company. In Core-Vent, the burden on the respective parties was found to be “asymmetrical” because the plaintiff was a “large international corporation with worldwide distribution of products” while the defendants were individuals “with little or no physical contacts with California.” Core-Vent, 11 F.3d at 1489. In Pavlovich, the California Supreme Court discussed plaintiff's ability to re-file the suit in the defendant's state of residence. “[Plaintiff] has the ability and resources to pursue Pavlovich in another forum such as Indiana or Texas. Our decision today does not foreclose it from doing so. Pavlovich may still face the music--just not in California.” Pavlovich at 29 Cal. 4th at 279. As in Pavlovich, SCEA is unquestionably a large international company with worldwide product distribution. Again, Mr. Hotz is an individual with “little or no physical contacts with California.” Id. In light of the corresponding absence of burden on SCEA, personal jurisdiction over Mr. Hotz in California would be highly burdensome.

PJ's comments:

PJ said:
I don't know what the judge will do, but this persuades me that New Jersey is more appropriate. The playing field is already stacked against an individual being attacked by an international corporation. For that reason, given the financial disparity, it is disturbing to see Sony trying so hard to keep the playing field so gravely tilted in its own direction. Fair is fair. That is what the courts are supposed to be about, after all. Who admires a bully? If Hotz has done something illegal, Sony can crush him in New Jersey just as well as in California. But it would be a shame if they win simply by being able to sustain the expense of litigation until this kid gives out.

Cheerilee

To properly exercise specific jurisdiction, (1) The nonresident defendant (geohot) must do some act or consummate some transaction with [California] or perform some act by which he purposefully avails himself of the privilege of conducting activities in [California], thereby invoking the benefits and protections of its laws; (2) The claim must be one which arises out of or results from the defendant's [California]-related activities; and (3) Exercise of jurisdiction must be reasonable.

All three prongs must be met, and the inability to satisfy any of the aforementioned prongs will result in the failure to establish jurisdiction over the defendant.

Moreover, the plaintiff (SCEA) bears the burden of satisfying the first two prongs of the test.

If the plaintiff succeeds in satisfying both of the first two prongs, the burden then shifts to the defendant to "present a compelling case" that the exercise of jurisdiction would not be reasonable.
Yeah, I would toss this out. Geohot probably didn't buy his PS3 from SCEA in California, he most likely bought it from a store in New Jersey. SCEA is apparently just a middleman who sold it to the store, and that doesn't mean shit.

SCEA didn't prove points 1 or 2, but the California judge just gave it to them on a "Well, SCEA's the injured party, right?"

Raistlin

iapetus,
Doesn't calling out SCEA as an international corporation undermine the previous argument that geohot must have been referring to Sony Inc? Seems contradictory.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Raistlin said:
iapetus,
Doesn't calling out SCEA as an international corporation undermine the previous argument that geohot must have been referring to Sony Inc? Seems contradictory.

No. From us.playstation.com's "About SCEA" page:

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) is responsible for keeping PlayStation® growing and thriving in the United States, Canada and Latin America. Based in Foster City, California, SCEA serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America Inc.

Looks pretty international to me.

Tntnnbltn

Raistlin said:
iapetus,
us.playstation.com/corporate/ said:
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) is responsible for keeping PlayStation® growing and thriving in the United States, Canada and Latin America.
Well there's at least three nations...

International doesn't mean Sony Inc.

DAMN YOU IAPETUS. I WAS GOOGLING!

mclem

One interesting implication of this; one facet of the defense in that dismissal seems to be that you are not forced to agree to PSN's TOS before you may upgrade the system. The question that springs to mind is: Can they?

If they require firmware updates to run newer PS3 software, could they also require you to agree to the PSN TOS to use that software, even if said software has no PSN integration?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
mclem said:
One interesting implication of this; one facet of the defense in that dismissal seems to be that you are not forced to agree to PSN's TOS before you may upgrade the system. The question that springs to mind is: Can they?

If they require firmware updates to run newer PS3 software, could they also require you to agree to the PSN TOS to use that software, even if said software has no PSN integration?

Probably, though its legality will still be disputed in some territories and limited by consumer rights law. Simpler would be to add terms to the PS3 firmware license you agree to on update that cover the same issues (jurisdiction etc.), which I'd be amazed if they haven't already done.

Raistlin

:p thanks. Didn't realize SCEA represented all 3 regions. I guess I should have realized someone needs to handle Latin America (Canada is the 50something th states)

Safe Bet

Banned
PJ said:
an individual being attacked by an international corporation.

Sony can crush him

Who admires a bully?

this kid
hyperbole much?

PJ said:
..it would be a shame if they win simply by being able to sustain the expense of litigation..
This is true and the ability to "outspend your opponent" is a fundamental flaw in our justice system.

iapetus said:
Probably, though its legality will still be disputed in some territories and limited by consumer rights law. Simpler would be to add terms to the PS3 firmware license you agree to on update that cover the same issues (jurisdiction etc.), which I'd be amazed if they haven't already done.

Wouldn't changing their T&Cs to strengthen the weakness of an ongoing case be a tacit admission that their case is indeed weak, and potentially usable against them?

I would imagine it would certainly give a defense counsel grounds to question why they would make those changes if their case was as merited as they claim.

If they update T&Cs, it's likely to be after they've lost ground in court I suspect.

Kafel

Banned
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/288055/news/kevin-butler-accidentally-promotes-ps3-jailbreak/

screenshot_246157.jpg

lol

Damn, why is Sony freaking out so much? Nintendo and MS didn't do this much.

And isn't 3.56 basically un-hackable now? Considering a large portion of Sony's user base are online gamers...

atomsk

Party Pooper
If they move this case to NJ, I will be very tempted to protest outside the court room wearing a shirt with the Master Key on it

Google says that 3.56 is far from un-hackable, and that keys have already been located.

In the battle between weapons and armor, weapons will eventually win. There is no such thing as an unbreakable system. Sony should congratulate themselves on lasting 3 years, and maybe use the lessons learned to make this one last longer.

This lawsuit is... interesting, and not in a good way. Attempting to subpoena everyone who watched a certain video is just insane. I hope Hotz manages to get a good lawyer (or several).

I asked this before, but I don't think I got an answer - I thought I read about the EFF being interested in this case. Anything come of that?

Jobiensis

Pureauthor said:
I asked this before, but I don't think I got an answer - I thought I read about the EFF being interested in this case. Anything come of that?

I have not seen anything from EFF. They blog about the case, but it's not clear if they are or aren't interested in taking this case. I would presume geohot would have contacted them. They have not yet publicly taken this case.

Kafel said:
That's the ps "jig" key, not the master key.

HiddenWings said:
Google says that 3.56 is far from un-hackable, and that keys have already been located.

In the battle between weapons and armor, weapons will eventually win. There is no such thing as an unbreakable system. Sony should congratulate themselves on lasting 3 years, and maybe use the lessons learned to make this one last longer.

This lawsuit is... interesting, and not in a good way. Attempting to subpoena everyone who watched a certain video is just insane. I hope Hotz manages to get a good lawyer (or several).

The public keys for 3.56 are known, but not the new private keys, which are what matters for pirating anything new (which is what matters to sony). Of course 3.56 is hackable, but going online with it (even without PSN) is a bad idea as they can remotely execute a hash check from their servers.

Also, as you are clearly misinformed (like the other 95% of Gaf) Sony isn't subpoenaing everyone, they are only looking for specific people to lock down jurisdiction in California.

a.wd

So they actually have access to people who have watched a video online? wow...Sony ninja lawyers, confirmed...

Zoe

a.wd said:
So they actually have access to people who have watched a video online? wow...Sony ninja lawyers, confirmed...

Sony's third party lawyers have access to Youtube logs to determine if people continued to have access to a private video which would mean that geohot violated his TRO.

Zoe

jorma said:
Why is it so important for Sony that the trial is held in California? Different legislation?

One of the laws is specific to California, but New Jersey does have similar laws.

It's really about time and money.

Vagabundo

EFF have posted a letter to the judge against this subpoena - more at groklaw:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20110305201445121

Interesting development that they have gotten involved now.

EDIt:

Groklaw said:
As you see, Sony quoted rather selectively, leaving the real meat and potatoes off the plate. EFF knew the parties had agreed to let the subpoenas issue, but it nevertheless sent the letter. The judge ignored the concerns raised. This isn't necessarily the end, but the problem I see is Sony will already have the IP addresses of the folks they want to sue next, without so much as a direct request. Supposedly this is only about jurisdiction. But it doesn't feel like it to me. It feels to me like Sony is killing two birds with one stone and getting what they want through a back door. That's good lawyering, I guess, some would say, but if you think the First Amendment is truly vital, you do not admire it. I feel for those innocent third parties, who are now wondering how they got roped into something just for reading a web site. Sometimes professional fishermen think a few dead dolphins are worth it to make money on catching tuna. If you care about the dolphins, though, it feels very different. And, yes, I am absolutely appalled.

Walshicus

Tntnnbltn said:
There was a 9 page thread about this...
Didn't see it. Searched for Hotz and this one came up first. The Engadget article made it appear to be breaking news and nothing was on the first couple of pages of GAF, so...

But fair do if it's already been done to death.

jorma

is now taking requests
Zoe said:
One of the laws is specific to California, but New Jersey does have similar laws.

It's really about time and money.

So they agree to reveal third party private information just to check if they can save Sony some time and money? Sounds really dubious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom