• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sues George 'geohot' Hotz and fail0verflow over PS3 jailbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelfly

Duke Togo said:
Lets dig up those passionately defensive posts about why donating to this shithead's cause was a good idea. I could use a good laugh before work.
Not allowing Sony to win and set a precedent for companies taking action and suing users for modifying their hardware is a good enough reason. The fact that he lied is another story.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow. Not feeling so hot on being Team Hotz now. At least I didnt donate.

In his position, why would you even do this? There aren't even any short term advantages, what the fuck.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fabulous! In almost every single regard.

Dude proves to be a douche, Sony wastes money on pointless stuff that will change nothing, Sony now goes to court uncontested, and Douche living off foolish donations while fanboys rejoice.

This train wreck has a month of threads, and several thousand posts building up to it.

Jenga

Banned
shintoki said:
Fabulous! In almost every single regard.

Dude proves to be a douche, Sony wastes money on pointless stuff that will change nothing, Sony now goes to court uncontested, and Douche living off foolish donations while fanboys rejoice corporate win.

This train wreck has a month of threads, and several thousand posts building up to it.
was it only this thread or does someone have a list of threads chronicling all the events up till this

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
enzo_gt said:
In his position, why would you even do this? There aren't even any short term advantages, what the fuck.

he's just stupid. There are a lot of smart people who are stupid.

hirokazu

So... what's this about him being a liar?

Anyway, posted a few pages back that the guy is a kid or at least still acts like one and somebody replied "LOL. Are you serious? He isnt 15 years old. Dude is an adult and extremely intelligent."

Hahaha.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
enzo_gt said:
as I said earlier, I can only assume that what he adjusted was far worse for him (criminal?) than what he's facing.

shintoki said:
Dude proves to be a douche, Sony wastes money on pointless stuff that will change nothing, Sony now goes to court uncontested, and Douche living off foolish donations while fanboys rejoice.
sony defending their position and the copyright laws their position relies upon hardly seems like a waste (to them). The entire point here is that sony WANTED nothing to change. Had George won, then things would have changed which is precisely what sony didn't want.

I mean I'm not even defending sony on this.. it's just funny that you claim they wasted tons of money on nothing changing, when the entire reason they spent all of that money is so that things wouldn't change, as those things in particular (copyright, DMCA, etc) are currently in favor of them. If I were sony, money well spent IMHO.

It also sets up a scary precedent making me think back to when DirecTV one the lawsuits saying they could sue anyone who bought an H card programmer. Hell, that was way less incriminating than this (at least there were valid legal uses for those readers, unlike here). And they typically got $3000 per each user they sued out of that. If sony went ahead with a similar tactic here... ouch....

Mithos

borghe said:
Sony learned that those modifications took place AFTER the drives were requested.

How, looking on date timestamp on files on the harddrive?
Cause that means I've just went back in time, todays date 2011-03-23, stamp on a file in my documentfolder 2013-07-12.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Jenga said:
was it only this thread or does someone have a list of threads chronicling all the events up till this
We had multiple threads. It was like when one went down, we'd get an update and a new thread. And continue the carnival once more with the same posters just in a new thread. Heh.

eastmen

Banned
Curufinwe said:
You really think that's the only way to determine time of modification?

http://www.guidancesoftware.com/forensic.htm

this is why i melt all my drives in an old microwave and will continue to do so. i have about 16 years worth of hardrives melted in my shed to establish the fact that i allways do this.

it also doesn't hurt that i've been going through drives every year now. do something bad upload it and then melt the drives and get brand new faster ones.

as soon as geohot put the files on the web he should have cleared everything from his hardrive

JWong

Banned
Oh boy hahaha! I knew this was going to happen when he was asking for donations.

He had no reason to honour his reasons for the donations. It was all just a scam.

Zoe

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Actually posting 37(b)(2) would be enough.

(b) Failure to Comply with a Court Order.
(1) Sanctions in the District Where the Deposition Is Taken.

If the court where the discovery is taken orders a deponent to be sworn or to answer a question and the deponent fails to obey, the failure may be treated as contempt of court.

(2) Sanctions in the District Where the Action Is Pending.

(A) For Not Obeying a Discovery Order. If a party or a party's officer, director, or managing agent — or a witness designated under Rule 30(b)(6) or 31(a)(4) — fails to obey an order to provide or permit discovery, including an order under Rule 26(f), 35, or 37(a), the court where the action is pending may issue further just orders. They may include the following:

(i) directing that the matters embraced in the order or other designated facts be taken as established for purposes of the action, as the prevailing party claims;

(ii) prohibiting the disobedient party from supporting or opposing designated claims or defenses, or from introducing designated matters in evidence;

(iii) striking pleadings in whole or in part;

(iv) staying further proceedings until the order is obeyed;

(v) dismissing the action or proceeding in whole or in part;

(vi) rendering a default judgment against the disobedient party; or

(vii) treating as contempt of court the failure to obey any order except an order to submit to a physical or mental examination.

(B) For Not Producing a Person for Examination. If a party fails to comply with an order under Rule 35(a) requiring it to produce another person for examination, the court may issue any of the orders listed in Rule 37(b)(2)(A)(i)-(vi), unless the disobedient party shows that it cannot produce the other person.

(C) Payment of Expenses. Instead of or in addition to the orders above, the court must order the disobedient party, the attorney advising that party, or both to pay the reasonable expenses, including attorney's fees, caused by the failure, unless the failure was substantially justified or other circumstances make an award of expenses unjust.

eastmen said:
this is why i melt all my drives in an old microwave and will continue to do so. i have about 16 years worth of hardrives melted in my shed to establish the fact that i allways do this.

it also doesn't hurt that i've been going through drives every year now. do something bad upload it and then melt the drives and get brand new faster ones.

as soon as geohot put the files on the web he should have cleared everything from his hardrive

Really? Dear Me! Time to remove that tinfoil hat!

Walshicus

borghe said:
so you guys seriously just funded his vacation to south america?????

WHERE IS YOUR HERO NOW!!!?!?!?!

this guy is as piece of shit as they come. despite what you may or may not believe about piracy, copyright law, fair use, etc... clearly this guy just went to south america on everyone who donated's dime. in the middle of his trial. and, and did a bunch of lying under oath and probably tampered with evidence after it was asked for.
Dunno, still think he's more tolerable than Sony here.

eastmen said:

HaHa! Really?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I wish some of you guys could tone down the aggressiveness. Especially the ones who are asking for help in the PSP custom firmware thread.

Mithos

Zoe said:
PSN account for one
There are PLENTY of times I'd have to say: "to my knowledge" I do not have an account on that place, it doesn't make me a liar if I do have one though. This is not a fabrication even though it might sound like it, but I found out just the other day I had an account on a site I would have had to use "to my knowledge" I do not have an account on that place, looks like last time I logged in on it was like 4 years ago (moving from ff3 to ff4 made me discover it).

Curufinwe said:
Read the link I provided in the post of mine that you quoted.
Didn't really require further response since my last response was an 'OK I see message', sorry if it wasn't totally clear, thanks again though.

DonMigs85

kamorra said:
I wish some of you guys could tone down the aggressiveness. Especially the ones who are asking for help in the PSP custom firmware thread.
Shhh. Guys like Dark Alex were ok, but not this smug, lying douche.

Zoe said:
PSN account for one

Meh, if you read Sony's filings and the evidence they have on that matter, it is far from iron tight. I have 3 PSN accounts on my PS3 that friends/relatives made. Basically they say that because that PS3 was used to register for PSN, it has to be geohot. They then say an Internet search for that PSN username brings up some forum post talking about iPhone jailbreaking or something. Could simply be a friend of his though.

Someone like geohot loves the spotlight and loves attention. If he is going to sign up for PSN, I don't think he is going to do it under some mysterious, unknown name. He is going to make it something where everyone knows he is geohot. So I don't buy that line from Sony. It's as far fetched as when they were trying to prove he has a PSN account because someone made a PSN account named "Geo.hot" or whatever. Just grasping at straws imho.

Apparently he removed the HDD controllers or something? Whatever it was, it made accessing the drives impossible. And I can't find any confirmation anywhere regarding talk of South America. He updated his blog a few days ago with a pic of himself in some soccer jersey and one of the comments says "welcome to argentina" or something. If he was fleeing, I don't think he would be so open about it. But again, this is geohot and he loves the attention.

Reading the court filings by Sony, I think the only big deal being made about the trip to South America is that Sony is using it as proof that it is not a huge strain on geohot to have the trial in California. I guess something along the lines of "if he can fly to SA, he can come to California".

subversus said:
he's just stupid. There are a lot of smart people who are stupid.

You've basically just summed up Asperger's Syndrome right there, haha. I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly convinced GeoHot has it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mithos said:
There are PLENTY of times I'd have to say: "to my knowledge" I do not have an account on that place, it doesn't make me a liar if I do have one though. This is not a fabrication even though it might sound like it, but I found out just the other day I had an account on a site I would have had to use "to my knowledge" I do not have an account on that place, looks like last time I logged in on it was like 4 years ago (moving from ff3 to ff4 made me discover it).
I havnt followed this case that closely, but did Geohot say "to my knowledge" about not having a PSN account?

borghe

Mithos said:
he created the account less than a year after the deposition, and accessed the account almost a month after he created it.

yes, "I don't recall" can get you leeway on accounts you created years ago.. probably a little less so on an account you created months ago, on a company's service that you were actively and publicly hacking.

Vard

Wow, a South America trip presumably funded by Internet donation money? What an interesting/pathetic/somewhat hilarious turn of events!

Chrange

Banned
kamorra said:

PSP and PS3 hacking are two totally different things, man. The PSP is like...it's...uhh......portable?

itxaka

Defeatist
Is there any source apart from Sony saying that he has fleed to south america?

Also, other people could access his ps3 and create an account. Like a friend or even his mother. They can't prove he did it at all or that he lied.

Now, tampering with evidence, that is illegal as fuck. Not that I agree that he had to give up everything he got but it's fair enough and he fucked up there.

EDIT: Also, how much weight has some proof that comes directly from the suer? I mean, they can make it up in the spot with 3 seconds. I can make a fake sms appear on my work servers from your phone with death threats if I wanted and forward it to the operator to force it to appear there.

Mithos

test_account said:
I havnt followed this case that closely, but did Geohot say "to my knowledge" about not having a PSN account?

On January 12, 2011, Hotz submitted a declaration to the Court (Docket No. 19-1) in which he made unequivocal statements on a number of topics. However, when it came to discussing the PSN account, Hotz equivocated, stating: “To the best of my knowledge and belief, I do not have a PlayStation Network account.”

Was in AudioBoxers post #3961

borghe said:
he created the account less than a year after the deposition, and accessed the account almost a month after he created it.

yes, "I don't recall" can get you leeway on accounts you created years ago.. probably a little less so on an account you created months ago, on a company's service that you were actively and publicly hacking.

I wouldn't be able to tell you what accounts I made last week.

Curufinwe

itxaka said:
Also, other people could access his ps3 and create an account. Like a friend or even his mother. They can't prove he did it at all or that he lied.

They obviously think they can offer enough evidence to satisfy the judge. My mom must have done it is unlikely to be accepted as a defense.

bart.jpg

borghe

itxaka said:
the account was created at his house with his credentials, accessed at his house, and created with a username he's used on other boards. yes it's all circumstantial, but this isn't a criminal case either. we're not talking "without a reasonable doubt here" and the amount of stuff keeps on piling up.

Mithos said:
I wouldn't be able to tell you what accounts I made last week.
my guess is you'd be able to when it was an account on an international corporation's systems, an international corporation who you were focusing tremendous time and effort on publicly hacking one of their biggest money makers, and you were asked to state so under oath. as I said "I don't recall" will only get you so far. especially when the suing party doesn't even have to PROVE that you recall, just that it's HIGHLY likely that you probably do actually recall. I mean we're not talking about a forum account on "hamsterbreedersforbeginngers.com". A playstation network account in the midst of you publicly attempting to hack a playstation3.... pretty hard time to convince anyone to believe "you don't recall". remember, a civil case isn't "innocent until proven guilty". it's whichever side ends up holding the most belief.

itxaka

Defeatist
Curufinwe said:
They obviously think they can offer enough evidence to satisfy the judge. My mom must have done it is unlikely to accepted as a defense.

[IM]http://aggregateappeal.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/bart.jpg[/IMG]

the account was created at his house with his credentials, accessed at his house, and created with a username he's used on other boards. yes it's all circumstantial, but this isn't a criminal case either. we're not talking "without a reasonable doubt here" and the amount of stuff keeps on piling up.

Sorry guys, I did missed my last comment which I edited later. The proof can be fabricated. Have much weight does it have coming from one of the involved parties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom