• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AU Tiger

Looks nice. I want to see the direct capture though.

I guess Sony got their gears of war style 3rd person shooter now. new gears game better bring some serious heat.

Loudninja

It's hard to say Sony's marketing is bad when they recently put out the fastest selling console ever and have managed to sell their recent first party offerings really well.

I don't like, or even understand why they're showing their prettiest game in shoddy ways, but I don't know that it's bad marketing.
A dev posted about this:
I've been on gaf for quite a while, this is not a new thing. I actually enjoy reading the hyperbole, and seeing how others either support or try to tear it apart.

Also, the stream portion is just something new. Sure, streaming quality wasn't fantastic since it's not a perfect technology, but there's plenty of time to release full high quality videos down the road. We can also start focusing on the aspects many gaffers in this thread have asked to know more about, and try to answer those questions and inquiries as best as we can.

So keep with the chatter, I always try to read all of it.

Lemondish

Looks spectacular. Sadly also super lame when it comes to gameplay/combat. How can anyone get exited for this in 2014. Looks like a standard 2007 cover shooter but worse (again, talking about gameplay).

How can anyone judge a game from barely 3 minutes of footage from a shitty stream?

All of this could have been avoided had they released some HQ footage. Why do Sony developers in particular continue to do this of late?

First it was Drive Club and the IGN disaster and now its 1886 with twitch stream footage that makes the both look worse than it is and makes it look like it suffers from technical issues.

Get your shit together Sony. A 30 second HQ clip sent to Gamersyde would have done a much better job building hype than this 3min twitch stream footage.

Sigh. It's not even worth getting upset about any more...they won't learn.
They're trying to promote two things, Twitch on PS4 and The Order

visual looks amazing, my only problem with it is the shitty player missing all the shots, how hard can it be, it's early in the game, the enemy barely moves around so you can easily aim for a simple headshot, showing you video of the player missing a lot of his aim just make me curious if the control in the game is not good.

when will developer learn to release gameplay video of someone that's good at it to make the game looks fun and exciting. Naughty Dog is king in this department, their gameplay demo are so exciting and just make you want to play the game even though as many would say, it's a pretty generic third person cover shooter.

Handy Fake

Sure the teaser could be an interesting idea but the execution was terrible. Why stream over Twitch? Now instead of people talking about the game you've created some discussion about potential performance issues.

Marketing is all about perceptions, do you think they created largely positive impressions from the teaser?

The thread during and after the teaser was rapturous.

You'd get that with a HQ trailer on here, man. Nothing is safe from the in-depth Gaf analysis, hehe.
In all honesty, I think they did it the way they did for a reason. Like the WOW signal in the SETI program. There and gone in the blink of an eye, with only a scrap of paper (or, in this case, a second-hand recorded shoddy stream) to prove it ever existed. Bloody amazing, but you think the bastards would have given us a little bit more concrete to go on. Oh well, keep looking and hoping. :D

Mind, I'm 34. I'm of the generation where the first you heard of a new game was a semi-professional rendering of the game character splashed across the cover of Zzapp64. ;)

orochi91

I've been on gaf for quite a while, this is not a new thing. I actually enjoy reading the hyperbole, and seeing how others either support or try to tear it apart.

Also, the stream portion is just something new. Sure, streaming quality wasn't fantastic since it's not a perfect technology, but there's plenty of time to release full high quality videos down the road. We can also start focusing on the aspects many gaffers in this thread have asked to know more about, and try to answer those questions and inquiries as best as we can.

So keep with the chatter, I always try to read all of it.

I would like to see the monsters next time! Very curious to see the creatures from
that E3 reveal trailer.

Please be werewolves :eek:

On Demand

Banned
Sure, I didn't mean that as like teasing or rubbing their faces in it, I really would like to hear impressions. I have a PC and have played plenty of PC games, but I don't have a really high end PC and don't really know how the best on PC compares.

For example, I thought InFamous looked really insane, but lots of PC people were saying it didn't even meet Sleeping Dogs level on a really nice PC.

This is the first game that visually looks like it's doing something different, not just doing what last gen did but with nicer assets and IQ.

That's cool. But the usual PC owners here on Gaf seem to think PS4 is just a low end laptop powered console and are quick to come in PS4 threads to remind everybody. I don't want to know what they think.

Handy Fake

Wow this thread. Going to take a good, hard look at it after I finish this game...

Thats-What-She-Said-Michael-Scott-Last-Episode.gif

It's hard to say Sony's marketing is bad when they recently put out the fastest selling console ever and have managed to sell their recent first party offerings really well.

I don't like, or even understand why they're showing their prettiest game in shoddy ways, but I don't know that it's bad marketing.

Second game they've done it to now. It's really hard to see it as an isolated incident...

They must know how much people want direct feed HQ footage and yet they still continue to showcase their games with LQ garbage feeds. It's annoying.

I said backfired because the video should be bringing in the hype. Driveclub and Sunset Overdrive did just that. The video for The Order just brought in questions of fps issues, screen tearing, and downgrades. It should not be doing that. Without showing the video at this time it would of saved the image of the game a lot better. I'm just saying they should of waited til E3, because in my opinion this just made the game look bad.
Driveclub is bad example to give, its marketing has been criticised heavily. It only takes 1 impressive looking demo to get rid of all the negativity, if sony show what makes this game so different to other tps like investigation scenes and warewolves everyone will forget this.

EL CUCO

Lol you know...it might be genius after all. Release crappy compressed first look footage and get everybody buzzing...then BAMMMM, Hit Em with the HQ. Double the marketing while probably making some extra cash from places like Twitch and IGN that pay for the exclusivity.

RAD should of just made this game a second person shooter because third person is sooo generic

Please dont take that first part seriously, just joking

But in all seriousness I dont know what people expected. It looks like a tps, did people expect Rad to reinvent the wheel? My hype for this game still remains very high. I thought the gameplay looks solid (even with an extremely small sample size) and the graphics are out of this world.

I would agree with people about the whole marketing of this game. This stream seemed.... unnecessary. E3 is like 2 weeks away, should of just done a real gameplay trailer there. Having 2 very very short trailers months apart just seems weird.

SDCowboy

I said backfired because the video should be bringing in the hype. Driveclub and Sunset Overdrive did just that. The video for The Order just brought in questions of fps issues, screen tearing, and downgrades. It should not be doing that. Without showing the video at this time it would of saved the image of the game a lot better. I'm just saying they should of waited til E3, because in my opinion this just made the game look bad.

Well it is bringing in the hype. I think it should have been a regular video, and not a stream, but the game looks amazing.

Loudninja

Second game they've done it to now. It's really hard to see it as an isolated incident...

They must know how much people want direct feed HQ footage and yet they still continue to showcase their games with LQ garbage feeds. It's annoying.
What?

Devs always really videos on youtube it was nothing new, what is rare is getting better quality videos.

viveks86

I would like to see the monsters next time! Very curious to see the creatures from
that E3 reveal trailer.

Please be werewolves :eek:

My guess is Tuesday. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The GI article follows a sequence and the video footage reveals are following the same sequence. Next up, werewolves
and air support
!

What did the twitch stream do better then a video hosted on playstation blog or youtube couldn't?

The performance would be better.

Looking at the reactions when the video first started, I think they wanted it to feel "live" like when we're watching E3 with realtime reactions from people before everyone dissects a youtube and everyone knows now you can just stream directly to Twitch from the game so this also plays up how real this is for any who question the game will look this good. Also, on the cynical side, as others mentioned probably to push the share to Twitch thing...

Though for the types that dig into the footage they should definitely have some HQ footage out too now or ASAP so everyone's not dissecting the stream version. Kind of like E3 streams followed by the downloadable copy a day or so after the conference. We all know that we're not getting the best video quality when we're gushing over E3 reveals. I think they should have had both ready to go at the same time though so I do agree a bit.

Cidd

Wow this thread. Going to take a good, hard look at it after I finish this game...

Ruh Oh ban hammer gonna come down hard on a few posters here.

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about, did they mention if this was a early build?

Hoje0308

Banned

Just because they're still selling well doesn't mean there aren't aspects that could use improvement. The people that are most likely to be sitting around waiting for new footage of a game that might release this fall are the same people that place a great deal of importance on getting the best quality video and images possible. Sony needs to quit putting out these poor quality videos completely lacking in context.

They're trying to promote two things, Twitch on PS4 and The Order

Does twitch really need promoting on PS4? Seems to have been a roaring success in how quickly streaming took off.

And it's hard to call this promoting 1886 successfully when the footage isn't very good and has noticeable capture issues that can easily be mistaken for technical issues in game.

The issues with the footage are really apparent when you watch it on a 40" TV. Just release the HQ footage, RaD/Sony.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Whenever I watch these early gameplay videos I'm trying to get a sense of what I'll be doing - as the player - and the kind of choices I'll make, either from moment to moment or as part of a longer term strategy.

In this video, with me as the player, I watch a cut-scene which then puts me into a firefight on street level. Cover to the left with allied AI using it, cover to the right with allied AI, and cover forward in the street with another allied AI using it. I guess I'd use the big ole empty cover in the middle for this firefight then.

Now, I'm behind cover, what are my choices? There doesn't seem to be any real need to advance as the enemies are all at height, and no reason to look for alternative cover spots for angles or defensive moves since nothing the enemy is doing looks to affect me here. So my choices are really in which order to take the enemy positions down in.

Once that's done the game literally asks you to fire your special weapon attack into the building's second floor so you can see a canned explosion and advance the checkpoint forward.

Then policeman guy gets downed and you're asked to attend to him. You get to move up and hit triangle, at which point you're now stuck on rails while a line of enemies will walk on to a rooftop in the open and fire on you at point blank range with their pistols. The choice here is the same, to prioritize who to shoot, only now you've got no cover to work with.

Once you take down those enemies in whatever order since they're all the same, you get another cut-scene and the story moves forward.

So, as a showcase of visuals, this video is fine. As a showcase for gameplay, nothing that's come out for this game looks engaging in the slightest. No interesting choices to be made whatsoever.

If there's a fun game in there, I'd love to see it at some point.
This pretty much is exactly my impressions as well. I prefer organic gameplay over this extremely scripted style.

DevilFox

I'm not insisting at all,I don't want to prove anything.
In the interviews they have been pretty much clear about what this game is about, an interactive linear cinematic experience with shooting mechanics. It's their definition about the game. Read the interviews with Ru Weerasuriya.
About the rest, the answer is in the video. You get an animation of the the two main characters dragging the wounded guy inside, it's an animation and while that happens you're given the freedom to shoot the enemies on the balcony and that's it. It's not really free action and that's why many here are complaining.
The point is that they expect something the game isn't, when they showed the first gameplay a couple of months ago people complained because they couldn't see enough freedom,it seemed on rail, now they're complaining again for the same reasons. Two times in a row a bad choice for a trailer? Or maybe the game is what you see, an interactive cinematic experience like the developers have claimed themselves it to be?
But I guess that the E3 demo will probably clear the doubts.

I've read everything about this game and I believe you're misinterpreting.
It's a cinematic experience, filmic, linear and third-person action-adventure, basically something like TLOU or Uncharted. This is all they've said and with "filmic" Ru has always referred to visuals: lens distortion, aspect ratio, grain, lighting, chromatic aberration and so on.
The game as you describe it would be terrible and a huge disappointement from such a good team like RaD.. so yeah, let's hope E3 demo will show what we expect.

What?

Devs always really videos on youtube it was nothing new, what is rare is getting better quality videos.

It was fine before, but it's fast become an issue. Especially with how low quality YT footage generally is. So much of the finer detail tends to get lost.

Devs need to move with times and release direct feed footage the same day they upload footage to YT or stream over twitch. No acceptable reason not to...

Jigolo

Resident Evil clone.

Game reminds me of the RE games (4-6), except instead with different creatures and time/setting.

Give it to me. now.

StuBurns

Banned
That's cool. But the usual PC owners here on Gaf seem to think PS4 is just a low end laptop powered console and are quick to come in PS4 threads to remind everybody. I don't want to know what they think.
There would be some 'it'd look better at 4k/120Hz, lol' or whatever, but it's interesting to see what a ground up top tier next gen title includes visually.

For example, while PCs at the time of the 360 were much better, FEAR on PC looked so much better than on 360 if you had a nice PC, but in my mind, nothing on PC touched Gears till Crysis a year later.

I would think the PC crowd would be excited to see a similar thing again. It's not like they won't get third party stuff that looks like this, just like Gears wasn't King forever.

There's almost three levels of next gen, cross-gen, just next-gen, next-gen ground up technology. This feels like the first example of the last type.

Say what you want about the stream, it got a lot of people talking on a spur of the moment Friday afternoon.

I agree they have a lot of work ahead of them to "sell" this game as something other than another TPS and release better media, but for all intents and purposes today's event worked.

Really hope we see some investigation stuff and encounters with monsters and some of the physics they talked about earlier. And to me that's the beauty of this, they are stoking the discussion while keeping things to show. Nearly everyone still has no clue how this game will playout or what it is entirely about.

Hoje0308

Banned

It only did that for people that are unable to understand the effects of streaming technology that also can't be bothered to read the thread. If you don't know, just ask. People here are generally nice as long as you don't go around making ignorant comments that were refuted numerous times already.

penny-dreadful-foggy-london-street1.jpg

Where are all the colours Penny Dreadful?

That one screen just piqued my interest in something I hadn't even heard of before. Is it good?

Samyy

I should add that any criticism I have about this is not at the game, more so towards how Sony handles its marketing.

Vire

Still hoping for something as open and alive as this to be in the actual game.

The_Order_1886_Concept_Art_01.jpg

If the E3 demo opens with a scene like this and then proceeds to have the werewolf monsters crash in, climbing on the sides of buildings etc. I think much would be forgiven...

Gameplay looked very meh. The marketing in general for this game is lacking.

Graphics looked good, but also tearing and a low framerate.

Don`t know what to think of that game to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom