• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to announce DriveClub release date 'shortly'

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUNE !? So what, inFamous in March, hopefully Watch_Dogs in between that and DriveClub, and then the latter in June ? What else is coming to PS4 until June ? I want to know when Hohokum, Octodad, War Thunder, etc. will release too. I love Don't Starve and the games I have but this is ridiculous, it's looking like it will be a worse drought than Wii U's first Winter/Spring. Combined with not even knowing when Mario Kart and Super Smash are releasing, I'm doubtful any game will make first half of 2014 at this point. What is with all these huge delays.

Easy there, let's not get carried away.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Have an uncanny feeling Evolution overpromised what they could achieve heavily when it was close to culling time in 2012 to stay in the offing.

June would be a fairly ridiculous slip from launch.

Jachaos

Well, not far from it if we're only counting what we know release dates of, and PS3 has a better line-up at this point, it has South Park, it has Dark Souls II and it has The Last of Us : Left Behind. Until we get confirmations for other games than inFamous, I don't see how it's much better than Lego City Undercover + Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Amir0x

Banned

inFamous: Second Son
Watch Dogs
Metal Gear: Ground Zero
Thief
Secret Ponchos
Road Not Taken
MLB 14: The Show

And a few other games that are coming for those who haven't played on PC, like Planetside 2 and Daylight and Final Fantasy XIV.

PS4 fans will be fine until then :p

Still, can't believe they slipped this much with DriveClub if it ends up being true. That's just a colossal slip. I mean I rather them make the game as best as it could be, but I wonder why they slipped so dramatically.

I really wonder why Sony just doesn't make a statement regarding legacy wheels. Just come out and say we won't support old wheels or that they will. I hated MS decision on this but at least they made one before the system came out. People need to know if they should start saving up for new products or hold on to what they have

I know. Recently I had the chance to buy a really cheap T500 and upgrade from a DFGT. I know there's this post by Rushy stating that only the T80 and T500 are currently supported, but I'd like a more official confirmation about this matter.

EGM1966

IF it is June, the way I look at it that's almost negligible next to Last Guardian.

Mind you though it is an awfully long slip for a supposed launch title. I like that Sony seems to allow titles to mature if needed and will take a delay on the chin, but it sometimes feels like it happens just a bit too much and they should tighten up the QC and time management just a little bit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Have an uncanny feeling Evolution overpromised what they could achieve heavily when it was close to culling time in 2012 to stay in the offing.

June would be a fairly ridiculous slip from launch.
It's got to be more than just one thing. Probably a combination of technical issues, features, and polish. I'm hoping a couple of the things they mentioned as coming post launch like weather will be in at launch now. They could also be waiting for a specific tools update. That happens early in the gen every now and then.

If there's any consolation, it's that this will give me time to grind through the flood of March releases. Disappointed, but a delay won't dampen my hype.

viveks86

1506209_1454069701471865_1645088892_o.jpg

Where'd you get that?!

Edit: Oh, Facebook

Race track confirmed? Wish I knew which one. I wanted to bring this up when I saw this (Lime Rock Park) last month:

Bb8XUeYIAAARDdy.jpg

But the shot on Facebook confirms that there are racing circuits in the game.

MaDKaT

They can take their time. I want proper wheel support (need logitech/Fanatec to work on PS4 drivers) and I need to build a new rig to hold it.

I think I've only watched one video of this game in motion, but I wasn't seeing anything special about it. Am I missing something, or is it just because of the drought of new games that people are so looking forward to it?

There's a free PS+ version. That alone makes it interesting. I don't know that I would pay $60 for it, but it definitely looks good enough to play around for free (and then if I like it, I might upgrade to the full version).

PBY

Banned
There's a free PS+ version. That alone makes it interesting. I don't know that I would pay $60 for it, but it definitely looks good enough to play around for free (and then if I like it, I might upgrade to the full version).

Pretty much why Im hyped. Im not a big racing fan, Ive messed around w/ Forza a little. I'd love to be able to play it without any investment. It also looks graphically amazing.

Tsundere

Banned
Just thought of something...

Since Driveclub is a social racing experience, perhaps _a_ reason for the delay is that they are awaiting a Firmware patch to bring certain features to the platform that the game will interact with.

I've heard "summer" from my mate at SCEE but didn't wanna post anything. Interesting that June had been outed elsewhere.

Now before I get Bish'd, Bish checked me out when I confirmed the original delay and I didn't get banned for it, so read into that what you may.

GhaleonEB

Wow, if it is June, how bad would the game have been if it released at launch!? @_o

How do you miss your goal by that much?

I'm guessing, once hitting launch was out of the question, there was less pressure and they allowed more time for polish. Given how the PS4 is selling without major titles like Drive Club and Second Son, they don't have a reason to rush it. Makes sense to get it in the 1st half, though, the lineup really needs it.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm guessing, once hitting launch was out of the question, there was less pressure and they allowed more time for polish. Given how the PS4 is selling without major titles like Drive Club and Second Son, they don't have a reason to rush it. Makes sense to get it in the 1st half, though, the lineup really needs it.

Yeah, good point. Which I definitely approve of, make it as good as can be... but I hope when they really start the train for unveiling DriveClub again, that they detail the amount of changes they made with the extra time.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I've heard "summer" from my mate at SCEE but didn't wanna post anything. Interesting that June had been outed elsewhere.

Now before I get Bish'd, Bish checked me out when I confirmed the original delay and I didn't get banned for it, so read into that what you may.
I remember that! Good for you your mate backed you =P. If you're already confirmed, why didn't you... Oh. I guess you wouldn't want to. "Summer" is ultra vague. I'll just take your word ad more evidence.

Just thought of something...

Since Driveclub is a social racing experience, perhaps _a_ reason for the delay is that they are awaiting a Firmware patch to bring certain features to the platform that the game will interact with.
That's been my sense of things from chatter here back before launch.

But hey, I'd also be happy if this delay meant the inclusion of (originally promised) weather. So I'm flexible.

Do whats best for the game, but for gaming's sake toss us a bone.

Namikaze1

Sucks if the June date is true. Then again, I would at least have a game to play during the summer. Still would prefer an April release.

Kosma

Banned
Sony had a good launch so they took the foot of the pedal, especially since the game might not have been really ready yet.

I would say a May launch to give Infamous two months space

I would like Rushy to post whether this June rumour is hot or cold. C'mon, give us some indication. And that's only if they don't announce the release date 'soon'.

Famassu

Wow, if it is June, how bad would the game have been if it released at launch!? @_o

How do you miss your goal by that much?
It would have been rushed (i.e. missing online features, lack of polish, maybe 1-2 fewer tracks, worse graphically). A June release date would probably mean that they are not only taking time to make sure it's a feature complete game (as far as their plans go), but maybe ADD something that wasn't originally in the plan as well (or was about to be cut out), like even more robust online features, 1-2 extra tracks, more cars.

I honestly wonder if part of the delay is more a passive reason in that Sony is hoping people might start to forget that this was promised(at least in part) as a free PS+ game as well.
If they keep delaying and getting more stuff given away on PS+, we might not be so disappointed when they finally come out and say this will only be available as a full retail game.
Wouldn't surprise me if they pull it off the table.

PBY

Banned
I honestly wonder if part of the delay is more a passive reason in that Sony is hoping people might start to forget that this was promised(at least in part) as a free PS+ game as well.
If they keep delaying and getting more stuff given away on PS+, we might not be so disappointed when they finally come out and say this will only be available as a full retail game.

I'd be so pissed if this happens- no way they do that

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think it's great that it's delayed. That means it's a game to look forward to. As soon as a game releases it falls out of the upcoming line-up list wars and that sucks. :/

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

I was really hoping that the PS4's supposed ease-of-use for developers would make lengthy delays a thing of past along with other HD growing pains. But I'll hold off judgement for now, since it is a launch game.

SurgicalSlinky

Neo Member

They'll keep the PS+ Edition a thing. There's no way they'd risk losing the potential cash from people upgrading it to the full version, as well as all the negative PR they'd rightfully get slammed with.

Looking at Killzone's multiplayer population, PS+ might be the only thing that can give this social-heavy game a solid initial push.

I've always been in for the full retail version myself, but community matters.

I really need to hear more about the social features and the depth of the game in general, because you're right, if they pull it off and tons of free PS+ users hop on early it could be a ton of fun having that huge community there early.
Rivals, from what I read, kind of wanted to be that but wasn't.

Jachaos

I really wish there'd be split-screen added as a result of a this delay.

Split-screen makes it an instant buy at full price. Especially since the only local games I play anymore are Wii U games and NHL on X360. I'm waiting for a game to come out and use my two DualShock controllers.

I still play PGR4 for my split-screen fix ffs

Chamber

love on your sleeve
inFamous: Second Son
Watch Dogs
Metal Gear: Ground Zero
Thief
Secret Ponchos
Road Not Taken
MLB 14: The Show

And a few other games that are coming for those who haven't played on PC, like Planetside 2 and Daylight and Final Fantasy XIV.

PS4 fans will be fine until then :p

I have to agree. June release sucks because DriveClub looks awesome and I really want to play it, not because my PS4 will starved for content in the meantime.

I want to see if they've added weather to the game if the June date ends up being true.

It's just annoying, I'd really like to just see more of the game. I'd like to know a little bit more. The dirge of information about EVERYTHING coming on the platform I've spent £350 on, is incredibly frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom