• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't offer option to disable PS4 DualShock 4 light bar

PJV3

They will get around to it eventually, must be pretty low priority(for Sony) I would have thought.

Prophezz

Banned
Not true. Let the controller time out and auto-shutoff. Then the video plays just fine. What does suck is that when you re-turn on the controller it asks you to log in before letting you control netflix.

Ummm, that means it is true if you have to actually have it on auto-turn off for it to work correctly.

Prophezz

Banned
I've seen this repeated so many times as a *problem solver*:

Just set the auto function to 10 mins and your problems are gone!

That's not the issue people, the issue is the ability to turn the controller on & off when you want without any issues arising...this auto-function usage doesn't solve the problem.

farisr

I honestly don't expect this option to show up till like the 4th year, sometimes Sony is just like that, which sucks.

I don't understand the reasoning behind having a toggle for rumble, having a volume control for the speaker (including zero volume), and then having no toggle for the light.

stormplyr

The way I sit, my controller is below the level of the tv so I don't get a glare. Therefore the light doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would be bothersome to people. I've purposely held the control up to see if it would glare and it certainly did.

You knew it was going to be an issue when you bought it, why buy it then whine about it?

Because it's so incredibly stupid that they won't allow us to turn it off that it's hard to believe. I still don't understand the people who are against them providing this option. It's great that it doesn't bother you, but obviously it does bother a lot of other people.

Tagyhag

Dimming light is propably just change in default parameter. I do not know how ds4 LIGHT is handled in api level but I think it could be as simple. BTW I am really drunk. Have fun everybody.
It WOULD be really simple, if some unknown modder was able to do it for Xinput then Sony should have no problem doing it.

What, do people here think it'll take hundreds of man hours and millions of dollars?

xn0

This is a good point and a good idea, but has little to do with the current situation. You know we are talking about retroactively installing the ability to turn off the lights on the console, right?

I don't understand your statement at all. How are we talking about retroactively installing the ability to turn off the lights on the console? We are talking about turning off the LED's on the controller, an ability that the PS4 shipped with and currently has. We are talking about issuing a bool to an API, truly a 2 line piece of code, that if compiled and digitally sign by Sony would turn off the LED on any DS4 connected to the PS4. Unless I'm missing something obvious here.

I don't understand, why would this option be so hard to implement? I mean, almost every game uses rumble, but if I turn it off that doesn't cause glitches nor break the game.
I'm not an expert, but adding a on/off toggle plus a force on when a camera app/game is launched shouldn't be so difficult.

Phii

Banned
Sony's brightness over thou is resembled through the DS4's light bar.

Give me the option to turn it off

Garcia

I don't understand the reasoning behind having a toggle for rumble, having a volume control for the speaker (including zero volume), and then having no toggle for the light.

You "don't understand"? It's quite simple, actually: Giving your users a much richer experience.

You "don't understand"? It's quite simple, actually: Giving your users a much richer experience.

What?

Rumble provides a richer experience, but they give you a toggle because they understand not everyone wants it on all the time.

The speaker in the controller provides a richer experience, but they understand that it may be too loud for some people, or they might not want it on at all, so they give you a volume control.

The light bar arguably provides a richer experience too. But as is clear from this thread, just like rumble and the built-in controller speaker, not everyone wants them on all the time.

They provided options for the first two, but not for this. I don't understand why.

I can't lay it out any simpler than that.

Garcia

What?

Rumble provides a richer experience, but they give you a toggle because they understand not everyone wants it on all the time.

The speaker in the controller provides a richer experience, but they understand that it may be too loud for some people, or they might not want it on at all, so they give you a volume control.

The light bar arguably provides a richer experience too. But as is clear from this thread, just like rumble and the built-in controller speaker, not everyone wants them on all the time.

They provided options for the first two, but not for this. I don't understand why.

I can't lay it out any simpler than that.

My bad. I actually thought you were one of those apologists that plague threads of this nature saying "deal with it, crybabies".

I don't own a PS4 yet, so I thought that all the things you were mentioning hadn't been implemented.

It really is stupid to have options for the first 2 and then completely skipping any LED dimming control.

Dunlop

The light bar arguably provides a richer experience too.

That's the thing, outside of having the camera, how does this LED enrich anything?

If it is not reflecting off your TV screen or you are in the dark, you in theory need to look down (breaking game immersion) and possibly need to shift your grip to see what color it is

My bad. I actually thought you were one of those apologists that plague threads of this nature saying "deal with it, crybabies".

I don't own a PS4 yet, so I thought that all the things you were mentioning hadn't been implemented.

It really is stupid to have options for the first 2 and then completely skipping any LED dimming control.

Hey, no problem. After typing out that last post I thought it might have just been a simple misunderstanding.

But yeah, rumble and volume controls are in there right now. So the only rationalisation for this that I can think of - that maybe Sony wanted to ensure some kind of "uniformity of experience"? - has already gone out of the window. Once you let people tinker with some of the options, why is the light bar the only thing off limits? I don't know.

Edit:

That's the thing, outside of having the camera, how does this LED enrich anything?

If it is not reflecting off your TV screen or you are in the dark, you in theory need to look down (breaking game immersion) and possibly need to shift your grip to see what color it is

I agree completely. But I was just giving the benefit of the doubt there, because it wasn't central to my argument.

Maybe some games designer could come up with a creative way to use the light bar in a game? Probably. Until that happens though I'd like to turn it off (it's looking like I'll have to tape it up though until at least the firmware update after next).

I don't understand your statement at all. How are we talking about retroactively installing the ability to turn off the lights on the console? We are talking about turning off the LED's on the controller, an ability that the PS4 shipped with and currently has. We are talking about issuing a bool to an API, truly a 2 line piece of code, that if compiled and digitally sign by Sony would turn off the LED on any DS4 connected to the PS4. Unless I'm missing something obvious here.

Sorry, just to clarify, so you don't misunderstand... not talking about turning the lights on the console off, I'm talking about turning off the controller lights FROM your console. (thus overriding the Dev's coding in the game which utilizes it, when it was never intended that you be able to do so)

I'm done discussing this though. You guys can think it's simple two lines of code if you want. I don't really care. :)

So there's a "no option to turn off the superfluous light on the DS4" Defence Force, huh?

Who would have thought?

Sony is going to pack in the camera in the future I bet.

I have never seen the bar on my television screen to be honest. Probably because, as it should be, the TV is raised above eye-level so when you rest your head back on the couch, you are still looking at the ideal location on the Television.

Thus, when you hold a controller, the light is not pointed at the Television. Now, if I had the controller pointed directly at the controller is the screen was black, yeah you could see it. Nothing to complain about though.

pixlexic

Banned
I have never seen the bar on my television screen to be honest. Probably because, as it should be, the TV is raised above eye-level so when you rest your head back on the couch, you are still looking at the ideal location on the Television.

Thus, when you hold a controller, the light is not pointed at the Television. Now, if I had the controller pointed directly at the controller is the screen was black, yeah you could see it. Nothing to complain about though.

what if you have 55 to 70" tv? just get a larger room ?

its a problem.

Top Bottom