• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't offer option to disable PS4 DualShock 4 light bar

PlayStation's president of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida has ruled out the possibility of offering PS4 owners the option to disable the DualShock 4's light bar. Yoshida addressed fans via Twitter after the exec was quizzed on the likelihood of a "future update" that may offer the ability to turn off the illuminated panel on the upper surface of the controller for games that make no use of it.

"No," replied Yoshida, in response to the question.

Common complaints from players and critics include the light bar reflecting in the TV screen and the controller's relatively short battery life (around 7 hours) compared with the DualShock 3.

When it was later implied such a feature would help extend the controller's battery life, Yoshida added, "The LEDs do not use much battery".
Via CVG

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Goddammit. Can we at least get an option to dim it? Fucker clearly shines through the tape I put over it and reflects in my TV.

Sigma722

It's true that it doesn't affect the battery. I'm playing ps4 on a projector though whose picture quality is dependent on less light. Such a dumb decision.

Kumubou

I wonder if when plugged into the pc if it could be shut off.
The XInput drivers that someone put together give you the ability to set the color and brightness of the lightstrip -- including turning it off completely. In terms of system features, it would be a relatively easy one to add. I really don't get why they're so adamant about keeping it enabled.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i could have sworn that they said something about the developers potentially having the ability to toggle it on a per game basis?

also...didn't someone do some kind of test regarding led affect on battery?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Yosp did imply there would be a dimming option. But I guess now we can stop bickering about it? Nah... Probably not. It actually kind of is a problem though.

I kind of like it the way it is. I just wish it was used more in games. Like in Flow, it should cycle colors to match what's on screen but it doesn't.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Eh doesn't bother me any. In fact, I would say if anything the Xbox 360 gamepad lights were annoying as shit, especially when battery was starting to get low. Constantly distracting.

hohoXD123

Why not? I can already do so on the PC thanks to some random internet dude, don't see why Sony can't at least provide the option.

It's not that big of a deal, and cover the controller/lightbar if the light is bothersome.

But it seems odd for them to just stomp on the idea. I get that they want devs to be able to use it as a gimmick such as health, motion tracker, player number in the 4 games that will ever have couch play, but is it really that important?

Kyoufu

The light is bright enough to act as a lamp in my room. Have to unplug it from my PC or it'll keep me up at night since I'm one of those types that need darkness to sleep.

The XInput drivers that someone put together give you the ability to set the color and brightness of the lightstrip -- including turning it off completely. In terms of system features, it would be a relatively easy one to add. I really don't get why they're so adamant about keeping it enabled.
That's what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like Sony just being jerks.

j-wood

To everyone in this thread:

Set your controller to auto turn off after 10 minutes. Does not pause Netflix when it does.

Problem solved.

Also, like i've said previously, I think the people having a problem with the light on the TV is because of how you hold the controller. Set the Dualshock on a flat surface...the light actually points DOWN.

At least for me, when I play, I don't keep my elbows and the controller tilted up. So the light has always pointed downwards for me, and never been an issue.

Top Bottom