• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't offer option to disable PS4 DualShock 4 light bar

Z3M0G

This has never bothered me in the slightest. (My LED TV doesn't have a glass surface.)

You don't have a PS4 do you? When turning the controller off in Netflix the video pauses.

Interesting, but I've never tried this. I use the 10 minute timer which doesn't pause during netflix.

God dammit that sucks. I bought a 2nd controller because the battery life on my first controller sucks, and that one also sucks. I dont understand why they wont let people just turn the light off. I have to cover it up with tape because my entertainment center is covered in glass and it reflects the controller light big time.

whyman

This is just bad by Sony. It should not be hard for them to add this option so i can many more can play games on PS4 without controller glare on the tv!

RaikuHebi

Banned
To everyone in this thread:

Set your controller to auto turn off after 10 minutes. Does not pause Netflix when it does.

Problem solved.

Also, like i've said previously, I think the people having a problem with the light on the TV is because of how you hold the controller. Set the Dualshock on a flat surface...the light actually points DOWN.

At least for me, when I play, I don't keep my elbows and the controller tilted up. So the light has always pointed downwards for me, and never been an issue.

My problem is battery life.

Steel

Banned
Just get in there and disconnect the led?

Someone tried. The led and the charging cable connector are connected to one another, you can't get rid of one without the other without permanently disconnecting the LED(AKA breaking the connection).

The light is bright enough to act as a lamp in my room. Have to unplug it from my PC or it'll keep me up at night since I'm one of those types that need darkness to sleep.

And this is why I put electrical tape on my controller.

You don't have a PS4 do you? When turning the controller off in Netflix the video pauses.
Yea, it's really annoying. I used to always turn off my Dualshock 3 right after starting a movie to save battery. The only semi-solution I found was reducing the time it takes the controller to turn off to 10 minutes. It won't pause the video that way.

PhatSaqs

Banned
This is one of the things they clearly got very wrong when reading the features that the X1 controller would have lol.

Majanew

Banned
I don't understand why Sony won't allow it to be turned off.

Well Sony, you could at least get rid of the notification that loves telling me my controller has turned off. I set it to turn off after 10 mins so that bright ass blue light doesn't kill the battery, AND I have all notifications turned off... but you feel the need to show that annoying fucking notification every fucking time it turns off.

btkadams

has anyone else noticed that the controller sometimes turns off automatically during netflix (if you have the 10 minute setting turned on in system settings) and sometimes doesn't? there is definitely some issues with the dualshock 4 and netflix.

We need some media outlets to report on the fact that disabling the LEDs does in fact greatly improve battery life as opposed to just parroting that "LEDs don't consume much battery."

It's really dumb that they won't put an option to allow it to be turned off even if it is not much of an issue. Some people get monitor glare, some don't. Some don't like the light at night, some do. Options Sony.

The way some games are going to use it, it could be silly to disable it completely. But it really doesn't have to be on at the home screen or during Netflix.
The better question would've been to allow default off but if an app/game is requesting it it can turn on and do whatever they want it to do.

RT17

Banned
Damn. Such a pointless "feature" as well. You can't see it when you're playing (unless it's annoyingly reflecting in your TV).

Radec

I bought an LED TV instead of a plasma because of this lightbar issue. No reflection for me.

Me too.
ducttape.jpeg

seriously though, who uses the controller with the Light bar directly to the TV? for me its either it is pointing abit downward or upward. Never straight nor seen a reflection on my TV.

cakefoo

Glad this was put to rest by Yoshida. Hopefully people can move on from this and focus on stuff that matters.
Like world hunger? Oh wait, you mean on the adjusted scale of what matters to a gamer? Uh...

"We're not gonna do anything about it."

Yeah, that'll really silence the complaints.

As someone who sits a few feet away from a 50" screen, this is a total non-issue for me. Even less concerning than my vita's mura effect.

While it doesn't ruin my life or anything, why are they so adamant on keeping it on? The whole changing colors aspect in games is rather pointless as it's not facing you, so you only notice it when it's reflecting off the tv...

On Demand

Banned

Really? That's the stupidest thing ever. Do they not think these things through?????

The whole lightbar thing is pointless. It serves no purpose to games other than draining the controllers battery. Get rid of it.

Teletraan1

Banned
I have only ever noticed it when the screen goes completely black during a loading screen as far as a reflection goes. The battery life might be the worst part of it since this controller has portable system esque battery life. I already bought a long charging cable to just plug it in when it starts to warn me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
To everyone in this thread:

Also, like i've said previously, I think the people having a problem with the light on the TV is because of how you hold the controller. Set the Dualshock on a flat surface...the light actually points DOWN.

At least for me, when I play, I don't keep my elbows and the controller tilted up. So the light has always pointed downwards for me, and never been an issue.

This is like Steve Jobs telling me how I should hold my iPhone 4. :p

I can't speak for others but I'm almost never holding my ds4 completely horizontal. Its usually angled upwards at anywhere between like 30-60 degrees. Light bar actually doesn't bother me though. I was thinking more about battery life but I guess shu says it wouldn't really make a difference.

So you hold your controller against the screen while you watch netflix? Does netflix pause when you face the controller the other way, or tuck it under something, or....

And some of you must sit way too close to your TVs. I sit 9 or 10 feet away from a projected 107" screen and never catch a glow on the screen from the controller (and I hold my controller angled upwards giving the led more of a direct path IF it was going to reflect anything).

Come on people.

That is really and truly dumb. I cannot fathom why they can't turn it off with a software solution. This is really frustrating.

Gestault

It's not that big of a deal, and cover the controller/lightbar if the light is bothersome.

Convenience is something expected from entertainment. There are reasonable explanations for why this change wouldn't be a major use of resources to include in a future firmware update. Their answer to even the premise of this happening was "No." That feels like bad form to me. If the company cares enough to answer, but doesn't care enough to improve something about their system, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

JetJetJaguar

Neo Member
Yoshida added, "The LEDs do not use much battery".

Ouch, times "not much" by every PS4 controller in every hand on earth times the life of the PS4 console.

Folks having problem with tape note that you can get metallic tape. I use that to block sunlight from light sensors in my workplace so the lights will actually turn off when folks leave the area.

swcpig

Banned

The xbox one does use an infra-red signal for tracking by the Kinect.

The LED was designed for the PS Camera/eye cause it was original designed to be included in the PS4 as default (I theorize but pulled to cut costs). However, it is fundamental to their vision matching up with other peripheral. So yeah, no turning it off or removing it...

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
How are people even defending this? There is literally no point in not allowing customers to turn off the light.

haikira

I don't mind if It can't be disabled for games. But why in the fuck does it need to be on, when I'm watching a movie?

Probably someone who fell for the misconceptions that Sony simply copies other companies and doesn't do anything original, like inventing the walkman, CDs, pushing DVD players, blu-ray, motion/camera technology before the Wii, remote play before the Wii U, etc.

Top Bottom