• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z5, Z5 Compact & Z5 Premium (First 4k Display on Phone) Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Sony announced the Z5, Z5 Compact and Z5 Premium at IFA today

Z5:

Xperia_Z5.png

- 3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G Network: LTE 700 / 800 / 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600
- Nano SIM
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Dual Band, DLNA, Wi - Fi Direct/HotSpot, Bluetooth v4.1 With A2DP/APT-X, MicroUSB v2.0 (MHL 3.0 TV-Out) , USB Host And NFC
- GPS With A-GPS Support And GLONASS
- Dimensions: 146 x 72 x 7.3 mm
- Weight: 154 Grams.
- Display 5.2" IPS LCD FullHD (~424 Ppi Pixel Density) With Triluminos Display, X-Reality Engine And Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
- 32 GigaBytes Memory Internal
- Expansive Memory Up To 200 Gigabytes
- 3 GigaBytes Ram LPDDR4
- CPU Qualcomm MSM8994 Snapdragon 810 Quad - Core 2.0 GHz Cortex A57 And Quad - Core 1.5 GHz Cortex A53 (SemiConductor Technology 20 nm HPM HK-MG)
- GPU Adreno 430 (Quad - Core Graphics @650 MHz)
- Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) With Sony UI
- Office Document Viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint And Reader PDF)
- Camera 23 MP With Pulse Led Flash
- CamCorder UltraHD 2160p @30 FPS
- 5 MP Front Facing Camera For Video Chat And CamCorder FullHD 1080p @30 FPS
- Dolby Mobile Sound Enhancement
- Stereo FM Radio With RDS
- Standard Battery Li-Ion 2900 mAh (Non-Removable) With Fast Battery Charging: 60% In 30 Min (Quick Charge 2.0)
- Waterproof And Dust Tight (IP65 And IP68)
- Available Black, White, Gold And Green Colors

Z5 Compact:

02_Xperia_Z5_Compact_Colour_Range.jpg

- Nano SIM
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Dual Band, DLNA, Wi - Fi Direct/HotSpot, Bluetooth v4.1 With A2DP/APT-X, MicroUSB v2.0 (MHL 3.0 TV-Out) , USB Host And NFC
- Dimensions: 127 x 65 x 8.9 mm
- Weight: 138 Grams.
- Display 4,6" IPS LCD HD (~319 Ppi Pixel Density) With Triluminos Display, X-Reality Engine And Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
- 2 GigaBytes Ram LPDDR4
- CPU Qualcomm MSM8994 Snapdragon 810 Quad - Core 2.0 GHz Cortex A57 And Quad - Core 1.5 GHz Cortex A53 (SemiConductor Technology 20 nm HPM HK-MG)
- 5 MP Front Facing Camera Wide Angle Lens (25mm), SteadyShot And CamCorder (FullHD 1080p)
- Standard Battery Li-Ion 2700 mAh (Non-Removable) With Fast Battery Charging: 60% In 30 Min (Quick Charge 2.0)
- Fingerprint Sensor (Fast And Secure Unlock)
- Available Graphite Black, White, Yellow And Coral Colors

Z5 Premium:

03_Xperia_Z5_Colour_Range.jpg

- Nano SIM
- Dimensions: 154.4 x 76.0 x 7.8 mm
- Weight: 180 Grams.
- Display 5.5" IPS LCD UltraHD (~806 Ppi Pixel Density) With Triluminos Display And X-Reality Engine
- 3 GigaBytes Ram LPDDR4
- 5 MP Front Facing Camera Wide Angle Lens (25mm), SteadyShot And CamCorder (FullHD 1080p)
- Standard Battery Li-Ion 3430 mAh (Non-Removable) With Fast Battery Charging: 60% In 30 Min (Quick Charge 2.0)
- Fingerprint Sensor (Fast And Secure Unlock)
- Available Chrome, Black And Gold Colors

DieH@rd

Banned
Great phones, although I hope they will market them better.

As for 4K @ 5.5", I really don't see any need for that. But VR manufacturers will be happy the those screens exist.

darkwing

ok just wow

Sony just drop every phone that is not on the Z line, you are wasting money competing on those markets

and bring it to NA for goodness sakes

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
My contract ends June 2016 :( though it is possible to extend it in February iirc. Premium it is.

vivftp

Videos:

Z5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGqfFQdSbIw

Z5 Compact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8NO87Dl04Q

Z5 Premium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AsihR-MCig

Hands-on Videos:

Z5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpwrI4WAQ-k

Z5 Compact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23zbQfR5ME

Z5 Premium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIJu_77GNUw

Z5 Heat Test when doing 4k recording. It gets up to 10 minutes before the person stops it, but he phone keeps going. It is pretty warm, but not excessively hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BfBakhs8To

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the new camera software will determine whether i upgrade from my z1c

same. Although I'm on a Z3 so don't need to update, it'll be a Z5/Z5 premium or an iphone 6S/6+S depending on which has better imaging

edit: No USB-C will disappoint some in the android thread.

Brohan

The only thing that holds me back from instantly ordering a Z5 is the fact that they are still driven by that hothead the 810.

Need a new Phone but not sure what to do at this point.

Maybe there will be a Z5+ in februari/march featuring the 820?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Man... I went from an iPhone 5 to a Z3 in December. Then within two months I went to an iPhone 6+ (I guess I missed certain features and how reliable iOS is, but this phone is a bit too big). Now looking at these photos makes me want to go back to an Xperia phone, only this time I think I'd only consider a compact.

I don't know what to do. D:

Putzweg

Sony-Xperia-Z5-family_1-640x360.jpg

original.jpg

They really went all out on the finishes.

Dont even know which is the hottest. The Metal Gear-ish matt or the chrome mirror.

Philippo

I want that Z5C, i've been stuck with a crappy phone for a while, that seems to be the right dimension for me and it has all i can ask for.

Any prices yet?

vivftp

I'm honestly saddened that Sony didn't go with a new Ultra variant. I love my Z Ultra, but have been eager to upgrade it. Downsizing by an entire inch to the Z5 Premium might be a bit more than I can take.

Ah well, guess I'll have to hold on a bit longer and hope for an Ultra next year :(

Shiina

Z3C specs are pretty similar to the Z5C. Considering the outrageous price point Sony likes to price their phones at there's not much reason to get one, or switch to it.

Rosur

Still rocking my Z1 Compact.

Maybe I'll get the Z7C next year.

Yea my Z3 contract will be able to upgrade around the Z7 release time so thinking that's the phone I'll pick next. Though may get the Compact version this time.

Hopefully I can get a Z3 compact for under 300 now YAY
Don't. Very flimsily made phone, with a garbage camera, garbage audio quality (the volume in particular is terrible), breaks easily and has several manufacturing defects (hello audio jack that breaks from over-usage) that Sony didn't bother their arses addressing.

Source: I have one and have had it replaced 2 times now, heading for a 3rd because the audio jack is going again.

Zaru

Maybe this line of Xperia phones doesn't shatter by itself while lying on a surface.

Would have loved to buy a Z3 compact if it hadn't been for that widespread issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom