• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios have expanded a lot since last gen

It's not just about sales, it's about system sellers. I'm willing to bet there is a lot of overlap between the people buying these games. So just hitting millions doesn't really do the job. Sony's main system sellers outside of Gran Turismo are now either multiplatform or in decline. People associate the golden era of Sony with games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto. Uncharted is not a system seller of that kind. God of War is a little bit better but still not a monster. Even if they were to get exclusive Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid games from now on I doubt if those games push consoles like they used to.

The idea is that you'll buy the system for 5 games instead of just one. This has always been their philosophy.

And again, the three games you named are equaled by Uncharted, GT and God of War.
The biggest system sellers are multiplatform--CoD, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, Madden.

God of War's sales have gone up with each game, so have Uncharted's.

They are fine.

Boss Man

Interesting.

So they've hired one who worked on Halo and the other on Bioshock, hmmmm..SuckerPunch FPS game incoming I guess.
You guys can say what you want about the FPS genre, but I think an arcadey-style FPS from Sucker Punch would be hype as hell.

KAL2006

Banned
It's not just about sales, it's about system sellers. I'm willing to bet there is a lot of overlap between the people buying these games. So just hitting millions doesn't really do the job. Sony's main system sellers outside of Gran Turismo are now either multiplatform or in decline. People associate the golden era of Sony with games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto. Uncharted is not a system seller of that kind. God of War is a little bit better but still not a monster. Even if they were to get exclusive Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid games from now on I doubt if those games push consoles like they used to.

I am not really bothered, in fact this is better, a game like MGS and FF being multiplatform doesn't mean that we lose those games, those games will still be available on Playsation. Except this time we get those games as multiplatform games plus we get a ton of Sony 1st party games, so it's like we are getting more games cause of this. Also we are lucky Sony decided to develop a good range of 1st party exclusives, as their previous exclusive IPs have disappointed (DMC4, MGS4, GTA4, FFXII and etc).

I love Sony's first party effort this gen. The only reason I bought a PS3 was because of PS3 exclusives and it lived up to my expectations. I loved LOVED Infamous 1 and 2, those two are my in games of the generations list. Killzone rocks, so does Uncharted. I have a feeling their first party is going to be even better next time around.

There are some bad apples though! Lair, Heavenly Sword and Resistance stand out. Sony needs to focus and be careful.

rumored to be sucker punch new ip (or a very drastically different infamous)
shootyhoo8u8dy.gif

DO WANT!! I will take whatever Sucker Punch is working on. To me they are one of the most improved studios this gen. They went from working on garbage titles like SLY 2 to Infamous 1 and the jump in quality was amazing! Great to see they hired game designers from Halo and BioShock Infinite. <3

i-Lo

I am just curious and kindly don't take this the wrong way. I wanted to ask seasoned gamers who see games as interactive art: Aren't you guys/gals tired of being driven down a long thread of linearity in shooters where all you do is shoot? Discounting the multiplayer whose main attraction is PvP, doesn't it get monotonous after a while? Doesn't the medium need to evolve more next gen in terms of what can be included in the gameplay instead of being rigid to accommodate the mandate of the genre?

For example (discounting racing and sports games) some of the well loved franchises are a mixture of two or more elements. Few of them are:

1. Uncharted franchise- TPS, platforming and solving puzzles
2. Mass Effect- TPS, RPG (esp. choose your path), gender neutral
3. Tomb Raider- Third person action adventure with platforming, puzzle solving and shooting
4. inFAMOUS- Third person action adventure, RPG elements
5. ES and Fallout- Expansive world, RPG, ranged/melee combat, choose your own story, gender neutral
6. Portal- FPS with puzzle solving

and many many more.

On the flip side there are games that have seen resurgence because they went back to the roots i.e. Demon's and Dark Souls

Overall, wouldn't you guys like to see more projects like The Last of US or Beyond etc from Sony where games cover more than one genre effectively for a greater immersive experience?

Mario007

I love Sony's first party effort this gen. The only reason I bought a PS3 was because of PS3 exclusive and it lived up to my expectations. I loved LOVED LOVEDDDDD Infamous 1 and 2, those two are my in games of the generations list. Killzone rocks, so does Uncharted. I have a feeling their first party is going to be even better next time around.

There are some bad apples though! Lair, Heavenly Sword, Resistance stand out. Sony needs to focus and be careful.

Good thing those weren't first party game but rather only published/second-party efforts.

Tuck

Sony has a pretty impressive collection of titles. Their first party stuff isn't to the level of Nintendo, except maybe Uncharted, but it is some pretty high quality stuff. Naughty Dog is a fantastic dev, and the rest of Sony's developers are no slouches either.

Globox_82

Banned
Sony has a pretty impressive collection of titles. Their first party stuff isn't to the level of Nintendo, IMOOOOOO except maybe Uncharted, but it is some pretty high quality stuff. Naughty Dog is a fantastic dev, and the rest of Sony's developers are no slouches either.

fixed

nintendo lol

Sony has a pretty impressive collection of titles. Their first party stuff isn't to the level of Nintendo, except maybe Uncharted, but it is some pretty high quality stuff. Naughty Dog is a fantastic dev, and the rest of Sony's developers are no slouches either.

Nintendo plays it safe though, they stick to established IP's and there's nothing wrong with that. Sony takes risks, sometimes they succeed (Uncharted, inFamous, God of War, Killzone, Journey) and other times they fail (Lair, Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Starhawk). But I think they will come back strong next gen, especially now that Phil Harrison is gone.

i-Lo

I don't see the necessity behind the comparison but there is one key difference between them which tips the balance in Sony's favour. However, this isn't the place to have a drawn out debate about it.

Carl

Never seen that GIF before but holy fuck, if that's Sucker Punch's next game i am on it like a car bonnet.

Drago

fixed

nintendo lol
What do you mean 'nintendo lol'? They may not be your cup of tea but to dismiss them with an 'lol' is really understating them. They make some really stand out stuff too.

I don't mean to derail the thread but c'mon

I like how Sony takes risk with more big budget new IP even though in the end I tend to dislike a lot of them and outright hate some of them (hello Heavy Rain). The one place where Sony needs to step their game up is their Japanese studios. Team Ico has become a joke that was given to them from Polyphony. More stuff like Gravity Rush. Less 6 year waiting periods between new games.

I have to say Sucker Punch is my favorite Sony studio and I think Infamous 2 is Sony's best game this generation.

Drago

I like how Sony takes risk with more big budget new IP even though in the end I tend to dislike a lot of them and outright hate some of them (hello Heavy Rain). The one place where Sony needs to step their game up is their Japanese studios. Team Ico has become a joke that was given to them from Polyphony. More stuff like Gravity Rush. Less 6 year waiting periods between new games.

I agree. My favorite thing about Sony is that they always look forward and don't focus on old franchises - makes their consoles feel fresh with constant big, new games.

I do miss some mostly abandoned franchises though. I wish they would keep a few more franchises around instead of abandoning most of them.
Jak :(

And yes, their Japanese output needs to increase. It's been too lacking this generation

cyborg009

Banned

I have to say Sucker Punch is my favorite Sony studio and I think Infamous 2 is Sony's best game this generation.

I would rather see Sony buy a gaming company from japan and merge it with SCEJ

Carl

Yup. I love Sony's willingness to try new things, and that they don't stick with franchises past their welcome (mostly, anyway). I also love that they mostly let their developers chose what game they work on, and don't force too much onto them. Great stuff.

There are definitely areas they can step their game up in though.

Meh I'm glad Naughty Dog moved on from Jak. Probably going to get a lot of hate but Jak 1 was the only real good one anyway. Anyways, I just want Sony to focus on more games like Infamous and less games like Killzone. I also want a real Ratchet and Clank sequel and not some downloadable thing he seems to be sent to. Although with Resistance dead, I wonder how much Insomiac will continue to work with them,

Carl

Meh I'm glad Naughty Dog moved on from Jak. Probably going to get a lot of hate but Jak 1 was the only real good one anyway. Anyways, I just want Sony to focus on more games like Infamous and less games like Killzone. I also want a real Ratchet and Clank sequel and not some downloadable thing he seems to be sent to. Although with Resistance dead, I wonder how much Insomiac will continue to work with them,

I think Ratchet is still pretty successful (except the terrible All 4 One) so i think Insomniac will stick with it, for now at least.

Also, Full Frontal Assault (Q-Force) is getting a disc release in Europe, so it isn't especially a "download thing".

I would rather see Sony buy a gaming company from japan and merge it with SCEJ

I'm not sure how that would really help things if SCEJ was as badly run as it seems. They had send westerners over to try and help get that situation under control. I do think the Nintendo method of co partnering with dev studios instead of buying out is probably a better strategy as long as they retain control of the IP. Speaking of which, I wonder why Sony wouldn't buy out Thatgamecompany.

And yes, their Japanese output needs to increase. It's been too lacking this generation

I don't see anything good coming from Japan. They are only good at making handheld games now (Sony Japan). And the consoles don't even sell there, it's all about the handhelds now.

Drago

I have a free month of PS+ I can use and I think Infamous 2 is still free (not sure though)

Do I NEED to have Plus to play it even after the month of plus ends? I never played infamous and I'd like to try it. I trust Sucker Punch

I don't see anything good coming from Japan. They are only good at making handheld games now (Sony Japan). And the consoles don't even sell there, it's all about the handhelds now.
I just want the quirkier games that come from Japan I guess. :/

I have a free month of PS+ I can use and I think Infamous 2 is still free (not sure though)

Do I NEED to have Plus to play it even after the month of plus ends? I never played infamous and I'd like to try it. I trust Sucker Punch

you should play infamous 1 first. The game is much better in terms of story and platforming. Infamous 1 is my top PS3 game. Then move to the second. Both are worth the $$$

the story in infamous actually reminded me a lot of Knights of the Old Republic (dat twist!)

cyborg009

Banned

I just want the quirkier games that come from Japan I guess. :/

Infamous 2 is still free and yes you need PS+ to play the game. the differences between 1 and 2 is insane

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo plays it safe though, they stick to established IP's and there's nothing wrong with that. Sony takes risks, sometimes they succeed (Uncharted, inFamous, God of War, Killzone, Journey) and other times they fail (Lair, Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Starhawk). But I think they will come back strong next gen, especially now that Phil Harrison is gone.

Well it isn't such a drastic comparison. Obviously SONY has to rely more on newer intellectual properties because quite frankly they don't have franchises that have been around for 30 years like Nintendo. But although Nintendo does saturate the market with Mario and Pokemon themed ips, they also do release original intellectual properties people just forget about. XenoBlade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Rhyhm Heaven, Sin & Punishment, Brain-Age, English Training.

Nintendo has a great pool of talent all in one-roof, unlike most publishers who rely on disconnected development houses. Unfortunately, those developers have a lot of stringent and stubborn managers who stiffle the amount of creativity possible.

Well it isn't such a drastic comparison. Obviously SONY has to rely more on newer intellectual properties because quite frankly they don't have franchises that have been around for 30 years like Nintendo. But although Nintendo does saturate the market with Mario and Pokemon themed ips, they also do release original intellectual properties people just forget about. XenoBlade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Rhyhm Heaven, Sin & Punishment, Brain-Age, English Training.

Nintendo has a great pool of talent all in one-roof, unlike most publishers who rely on disconnected development houses. Unfortunately, those developers have a lot of stringent and stubborn managers who stiffle the amount of creativity possible.

To be honest, I really wanted to see some killer new Nintendo IP's for Wii U. But all we got was Pikmin 3....E3 would have been a perfect time to show us something (nothing substantial) but just a teaser trailer for a new IP. Also, the games you listed are all Japanese centric games, I don't see them doing well in NA or Europe with the exception of Brain Age (also major props to Nintendo for making Xenoblade but again they were hesitant to release it in NA).

Kind of reminds me of what they did to Retro and their fantasy RPG (project was killed). Meanwhile Sony usually lets their major studios experiment here and there (releasing Twisted Metal in this day and age etc).

Just saying that when it comes to taking risk, Sony is more ballsy than Nintendo. Sony is also more stupid than Nintendo but that's another thread :p

Drago

Too be honest, I really wanted to see some killer new Nintendo IP's for Wii U. But all we got was Pikmin 3....E3 would have been a perfect time to show us something (nothing substantial) but just a teaser trailer for a new IP.
What about P-100? That's a killer, risky new IP that Nintendo is publishing and they are likely keeping the IP. It may not be Nintendo made, but it likely will be considered a new Nintendo IP.

It's a killer app to me, at least. :p

What about P-100? That's a killer, risky new IP that Nintendo is publishing and they are likely keeping the IP. It may not be Nintendo made, but it likely will be considered a new Nintendo IP.

Why is it a killer new IP to you?

It looks like a strategy game to me, not sure how I felt about the game. I think it's one of those games that you need to play first. But yea that should be good but Nintendo treated it like a $20 downloadable game, they didn't even show it at their press conference....

Preachsuh

Banned
Nintendo isn't anywhere near what it used to be, but imo Sony hasn't come close to that either, aside from team ico's two efforts.

I've always felt that most sony games are great for padding out a library, but only the team ico games could crown it.

Whereas on Nintendo platforms, their titles were almost always going to crown the library, and third party was the padding, with that going back to the nes imo.

Nintendo isn't anywhere near what it used to be, but imo Sony hasn't come close to that either, aside from team ico's two efforts.

I've always felt that most sony games are great for padding out a library, but only the team ico games could crown it.

Whereas on Nintendo platforms, their titles were almost always going to crown the library, and third party was the padding, with that going back to the nes imo.

Nintendo hasn't really hard 3rd party support in a significant lasting way since the SNES. They weren't getting much padding.

I don't even know what this means. Yea sure you can dismiss the entire Sony lineup but seriously dude, you cannot deny that they have tried hard in all genres possible. Racing, third person shooters/adventures, first person shooters, RPGs, downloadable games, adventure games, platformers etc. Multiple new IP's in all genres...

Team Ico was extremely overhyped. I am glad they will be shut down after The Last Guardian, what a colossal waste of resources this game turned out to be.

Preachsuh

Banned
Team ICO is right up there with Media Molecule as my favorite SCE developer, but to me the final piece in the puzzle has always been if Sony opened another Japanese studio dedicated to making larger adventure-ish/RPG games. Anywhere from Zelda to Final Fantasy would be fine with me. The lack of something like Zelda/Okami/Final Fantasy/Monster Hunter is the one big hole in their line up, imo, and it's especially bothersome for me since those are my favorite types of games.

Granted, Demon's Souls was close, and it's my favorite SCE published game this gen after LBP, but in my mind I always envisioned something more light-hearted, less oppressive, and I guess more mainstream fitting the bill.

I was actually hoping they'd buy From Software for awhile, but they fucked it up by abandoning the IP after it's Japanese release.

This exact method of development seems to be how Sony has rolled, and its why i've never taken to their first party, aside from Ico stuff.

Stop finding answers and start making problems for other first parties. Thats what Nintendo does.

Just send out into the deep, and you might hook a big one.
Keep fishing where others have raked it in, and you lose the chance to hook a big one yourself.

Preachsuh

Banned
Nintendo hasn't really hard 3rd party support in a significant lasting way since the SNES. They weren't getting much padding.

My exact reason for specifying the NES was to show that they've always been the head honchos of game design on their systems.
People have short memories.

Carl

Keep fishing where others have raked it in, and you lose the chance to hook a big one yourself.

What? They try more "different" stuff than Ninty or Microsoft, so i don't see how this fits.

My exact reason for specifying the NES was to show that they've always been the head honchos of game design on their systems.
People have short memories.

Nintendo systems have sold in large part to Nintendo games since the N64. The Wii was a different animal, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo games cluttered the top of the sales charts for it still.

Last gen was strange as I believe Sony put out a lot of good games but were completely overshadowed by the 3rd parties that flocked to the system. They had all the big 3rd party games.

This gen it changed for me. Sony has such a varied and wide lineup. If I were looking at Nintendo's next gen and Sony's next gen going just by the software they produced this gen I would easily go with the PS4 over Wii-U, easily.

This exact method of development seems to be how Sony has rolled, and its why i've never taken to their first party, aside from Ico stuff.

Stop finding answers and start making problems for other first parties. Thats what Nintendo does.

What has Nintendo really changed from the N64 to now? I love Mario Galaxy (1+2), I loved New Super Mario Bros., they're great games. Zelda was great. But what is new about them?

Whereas on Nintendo platforms, their titles were almost always going to crown the library
, and third party was the padding, with that going back to the nes imo.

That's extremely subjective and borderline fanboyish. You may have varying opinions about Sony's first party lineup through the years but saying that they are great for padding out a library but all of Nintendo's efforts crown the library? I have no idea what to say.

That's extremely subjective and borderline fanboyish. You may have varying opinions about Sony's first party lineup through the years but saying that they are great for padding out a library but all of Nintendo's efforts crown the library? I have no idea what to say.

Agreed, he is seemingly dismissing the entire diverse PS3 first party library. Sony has tried very hard and come up with new ips for all the major genres.

Anyway this thread is turning into a Nintendo vs Sony first party thread. Let's not derail it any further. :D

Preachsuh

Banned

Is it not all subjective? Not trying to rile anyone up, but seriously?

And i'm not saying that all of Nintendos games make up the titles most people remember fondly, but that most games remembered by people later on, one or two tend to be marquee Nintendo titles.

Nes - Zelda 1(golden cartridge!), Mario 3, Metroid, duckhunt, ninjaturtles, and some wrestling game for my friends.
Snes - Link to the Past, Metroid, FF4, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger.
N64- Mario64, Zelda OOT, WCW Revenge, Tony hawk 2, Wrestlemania 2000.
Gamecube - Windwaker, Metroid Prime, Tales of Symphonia, Res0-4.

PS1-MGS, FF7-9, Chrono Cross, Tony Hawk, Tomb Raider, Wipeout, Res Evil, Battle Arena Toshinden, Tekken 1-2.
PS2 - DMC, GTA3-SAndreas, Kingdom Hearts, FF10-12, MGS3, Gran Turismo.

Its only on ps3 where they really became THE titles to swarm it seems.
Two generations prior, third party titles were the draw.

And i'm not saying that all of Nintendos games make up the titles most people remember fondly, but that most games remembered by people later on, one or two tend to be marquee Nintendo titles.

Nes - Zelda 1(golden cartridge!), Mario 3, Metroid, duckhunt, ninjaturtles, and some wrestling game for my friends.

PS1-MGS, FF7-9, Chrono Cross, Tony Hawk, Tomb Raider, Wipeout, Res Evil, Battle Arena Toshinden, Tekken 1-2.

PS1 - Syphon Filter, Gran Turismo, Ape Escape 1, Wipeout, Twisted Metal
PS2 - Jak and Daxter, Ico, SoTC, God of War, Socom...and more

Sony first party stuff was great during the PS1 and PS2 days...maybe you missed all the cool games

And i'm not saying that all of Nintendos games make up the titles most people remember fondly, but that most games remembered by people later on, tend to be one or two marquee Nintendo titles.

Your opinion is subjective because there's no gauge on what you or I believe to be good games for both systems. Try to paint a broad stroke over Sony's games as padding for a library is ridiculous. Also a decent part of the games you listed on the Nintendo side aren't even first party games! I'm struggling to see what your overall point was.

i-Lo

Could we please get off this comparison topic and on to what matters most, i.e. the direction that they can take next gen with all these acquisition and what we'd like to see from them?

It's been a long time since Nintendo consoles had strong third party support, so they don't have much competition. If Grand Theft Auto 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2 had been Gamecube exclusives, those Nintendo games would have been overshadowed too. Everybody would flock to the Cube for GTA3, not Mario Sunshine. So there's no shame in Sony's incredible PS2 platforming roster getting overshadowed by it.

Could we please get off this comparison topic and on to what matters most, i.e. the direction that they can take next gen with all these acquisition and what we'd like to see from them?

*One engine, no more time wasting on tech.
*Grow the studios, more than one team for each studios. Especially for PD since they are probably sick of working on GT.
*Get rid of the dead weight studios like Insomniac, Team Ico, and Sony Japan (except the Gravity Rush and Siren studio)

Agreed. This thread is very close to becoming a minefield lol. I do expect a greater emphasis on first and second party games coming into the PS4. I'm excited to see what happens.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
*One engine, no more time wasting on tech.
*Grow the studios, more than one team for each studios. Especially for PD since they are probably sick of working on GT.
*Get rid of the dead weight studios like Insomniac, Team Ico, and Sony Japan (except the Gravity Rush and Siren studio)

Insomniac is an independent studio, and are currently working on Overstrike, a multiplat game for PS360.

Insomniac is an independent studio, and are currently working on Overstrike, a multiplat game for PS360.

They are also working on a downloadable Ratchet game for PS3. These games don't even sell well and Resistance was a terrible franchise. Sony should focused exclusively on Killzone. Let em go Sony (about time!)

Top Bottom