• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios have expanded a lot since last gen

Takao

Banned
Hopefully with the UK tax-breaks planned for UK software development we should see the UK games development seem get bigger.

I would use that opportunity to open a few more studios/teams within studios to create Vita games.

Sony has merged Cambridge into Guerrilla, closed BigBig, and supposedly merged Evolution and Liverpool. Sony's UK development scene is doing so hot.

Sony has merged Cambridge into Guerrilla, closed BigBig, and supposedly merged Evolution and Liverpool. Sony's UK development scene is doing so hot.

They should take advantage of as many tax breaks as possible. I'm surprised they don't have more Canadian/French studios. Their UK teams have been badly mismanaged for years and often were used to bail out other studios.

rumored to be sucker punch new ip (or a very drastically different infamous)
shootyhoo8u8dy.gif

Takao

Banned
shootyhoo8u8dy.gif

It's confirmed to give me headaches.

They should take advantage of as many tax breaks as possible. I'm surprised they don't have more Canadian/French studios. Their UK teams have been badly mismanaged for years and often were used to bail out other studios.

SCE actually doesn't have any Canadian studios oddly enough. They did do some work with Slant Six, but they're you know, Slant Six.

Rand6

I just wish they'd have a portable team in each studio to create for Vita.

I would really love to see a portable team in each studio, even if it's small. Santa Monica portable, Naughty Dog portable, Guerilla Portable, Sucker Punch portable,... ,will be so awesome XD.

Matt

I would really love to see a portable team in each studio, even if it's small. Santa Monica portable, Naughty Dog portable, Guerilla Portable, Sucker Punch portable,... ,will be so awesome XD.

Would probably be a waste of resources.

Speaking of Guerrilla, was the leaked script from the new KZ game ever posted? The dialogue was for a woman so I'm guessing Visari's daughter is going to be the antagonist.

Mush

shootyhoo8u8dy.gif
I remember seeing this in the Beyond leak thread and I assumed it was from the trailer, but I only just clicked that this wasn't in the trailer.

WHAT COULD IT MEAN?

Globox_82

Banned
Sucker Punch are strongly rumoured to be a two team studio now as well.

Santa Monica now handle two AAA IP teams in the same building as well as their producers that handle external studios.

I just wish they'd have a portable team in each studio to create for Vita.
Well yoshida said that some studios have ambition to be three team studios, so u never know

I remember seeing this in the Beyond leak thread and I assumed it was from the trailer, but I only just clicked that this wasn't in the trailer.

WHAT COULD IT MEAN?

I thought it might be Replika, the cyberpunk game announced in 2011 but I think that is vapourware. Tweeted the guy behind it but never got a reply.

I'll be shocked if Sucker Punch's next title is not for the PS4. Same goes for Stig's new game. Also, Uncharted 4 and GT6 will definitely be PS4 titles.

I'll be shocked if Sucker Punch's next title is not for the PS4. Same goes for Stig's new game. Also, Uncharted 4 and GT6 will definitely be PS4 titles.
Last of us wont be ps3 last big title. I imagine there will be at least 1 more big ps3 title even when ps4 is already announced

element

Sucker Punch are strongly rumoured to be a two team studio now as well.
SuckerPunch is a single team studio, and will always be that way.

They are growing their design team. They hired Jamie Griesemer a while back, and recently hired Jeff McGann who was Design Lead on BioShock Infinite and formerly Creative Director at Red Storm.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
people seriously like "Crack in Time" over "Up Your Arsenal" and "Going Commando"?

I played a couple of the PS2 R&Cs, dunno which ones. Thought they were boring as all sin, but I actually ended up loving the PS3 R&Cs. I liked ToD more than ACiT too, for that matter, even if all three (ToD, QfB and ACiT) were really good.

Medievil got a remake that everyone ignored, not their fault on that one.

It was on PSP, so I can't say I'm surprised it fell flat on its face.

It was released in 2005. PSP was far from dead when that game came out. Blaming it on being on PSP is a joke.

The PSP wasn't dead, but how have software sales been for the PSP in the West the last 7 years? And how popular have non-Nintendo handhelds been with mainstream consumers? Besides, Medievil was an old-ass IP that got its remake dumped on the PSP with little to no fanfare, so people didn't know it was out, and those who did might not even have known it was a remake of an old game. When even Sony doesn't give a fuck about it, why would consumers?

I think they did the right thing by funding experimental IPs like LBP, Heavy Rain, Journey etc...games 3rd parties will never make.

What they need to stop funding are non-AAA shooters like Resistance, Socom and StarHawk. Regardless of their quality, there's just no sense in competing in the overcrowded shooter market especially without a huge marketing and development budget.

Do we know why Killzone 3 was only given two years to bake? Killzone 2 was given quite a bit longer, as were titles like Halo 3/R/4 and Gears 3. Call of Duty has shorter dev times, but they have like 3 teams working on the franchise.

I've said this in like every Killzone related thread, but I'm convinced most of Killzone 3's shortcomings relative to 2 were because of its dev time:

• Offline but no online co-op. It's obvious what their intent here was.
  • Better but less polished graphics, with more texture pop-in and stuff than 2.
  • Short campaign with bad pacing and weird transitions from gameplay to cutscenes.
  • Gimped clan features, missing proximity chat, etc. in multiplayer.
They clearly had ambitious plans for Killzone 3, between the voice actors, the new multiplayer modes, and the addition of co-op, but it all felt rushed and incomplete. Had they given it six more months in the oven and released it towards the end of the year, I think it would've cemented Killzone as a strong competitor to the other big shooter franchises in terms of critical reception, consumer satisfaction, and sales.

Hopefully they give Killzone 4 its due, and start treating it like other publishers treat their flagship shooter franchises. If it's being targeted for PS4, then I think they'll at least give it the same amount of attention that they gave Killzone 2, given they'll want it to really show off the console.

Drago

shootyhoo8u8dy.gif

dat QTE

It does look interesting though, and something that would seem to be really cool to play. Is it even real though? :/

After the new Spyro and Crash games, I don't think I could ever be a fan of them again.

That has nothing to do with Sony, they never owned the IPs. They were sold off around 2000 or something, I believe.

Something about GG strikes me as if they're a B-team and/or have a B-franchise but are working with an AAA-budget...

They're great with tech, but seem torn between designing decent games with relatively niche appeal, and forced mainstream sensibilities that they're really not all that comfortable with. Their time may yet come. Or not.

Takao

Banned
That has nothing to do with Sony, they never owned the IPs. They were sold off around 2000 or something, I believe.

You cannot sell what you don't own. Universal always owned the Crash, and Spyro IPs and rather than purchase them from them Sony decided to carry on with new properties. It seemed Insomniac were burnt out with Spyro by then anyways, so the change to Ratchet worked well. Through a large variety of mergers, and acquisitions Activsion-Blizzard now owns both characters.

After the new Spyro and Crash games, I don't think I could ever be a fan of them again.

I don't believe there's been a new Crash Bandicoot game since like 2008.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I believe that about Resistance and SOCOM (not all entries...Confrontation), but not at all about Starhawk. Really?
Lightbox said it was comparable to other titles in the genre and I believe their peak headcount was around 40-45 (mostly contractors though), so I don't think it is much of a stretch to extrapolate a $15-18 figure. Much cheaper than a Killzone or God of War.

Drago

You cannot sell what you don't own. Universal always owned the Crash, and Spyro IPs and rather than purchase them from them Sony decided to carry on with new properties. It seemed Insomniac were burnt out with Spyro by then anyways, so the change to Ratchet worked well. Through a large variety of mergers, and acquisitions Activsion-Blizzard now owns both characters.

I thought so. I never really understood how that all went down so thanks for clearing that up for me.

I don't believe there's been a new Crash Bandicoot game since like 2008.

Last game was Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 in 2010, Wikipedia is telling me.

Don't think that franchise will ever be used meaningfully again, unfortunately. Unless he makes an appearance in PSASBR or a cameo in Skylanders or something. :/

Takao

Banned
Lightbox said it was comparable to other titles in the genre and I believe their peak headcount was around 40-45 (mostly contractors though), so I don't think it is much of a stretch to extrapolate a $15-18 figure. Much cheaper than a Killzone or God of War.

Sold considerably worse than a Killzone and God of War so that would make sense.

Last game was Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 in 2010, Wikipedia is telling me.

Don't think that franchise will ever be used meaningfully again, unfortunately. Unless he makes an appearance in PSASBR or a cameo in Skylanders or something. :/

Ah that was some phone game. Activision canceled 2 Crash games. One was a reboot at Radical, and the other was a Crash Team Racing reboot at High Impact Games.

Probably because...And failed to be their Halo.

Something about GG strikes me as if they're a B-team and/or have a B-franchise but are working with an AAA-budget...

Yeah, but franchises like Halo and Gears hit the ground running, releasing with huge marketing campaigns at a time when the console audience was ripe for such titles.

Given a number of factors surrounding Killzone 1's reception (game's quality, releasing on ps2 well after Xbox had become the shooter box with proper online, etc.), they were going to have a challenge establishing Killzone as a strong brand with subsequent releases. Killzone 2 was a strong step in the right direction, but they didn't pursue that with 3 like EA did Battlefield with the transition from Bad Company 1 to Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 3.

SCE actually doesn't have any Canadian studios oddly enough. They did do some work with Slant Six, but they're you know, Slant Six.

SCE has a relationship with United Front Games. They developed Modnation Racers and are working on LittleBigPlanet Karting. SCE should open some new studios in Canada for sure. Lots of talent and tax breaks.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Do we know why Killzone 3 was only given two years to bake? Killzone 2 was given quite a bit longer, as were titles like Halo 3/R/4 and Gears 3. Call of Duty has shorter dev times, but they have like 3 teams working on the franchise.

I've said this in like every Killzone related thread, but I'm convinced most of Killzone 3's shortcomings relative to 2 were because of its dev time:

• Offline but no online co-op. It's obvious what their intent here was.
  • Better but less polished graphics, with more texture pop-in and stuff than 2.
  • Short campaign with bad pacing and weird transitions from gameplay to cutscenes.
  • Gimped clan features, missing proximity chat, etc. in multiplayer.
They clearly had ambitious plans for Killzone 3, between the voice actors, the new multiplayer modes, and the addition of co-op, but it all felt rushed and incomplete. Had they given it six more months in the oven and released it towards the end of the year, I think it would've cemented Killzone as a strong competitor to the other big shooter franchises in terms of critical reception, consumer satisfaction, and sales.

Hopefully they give Killzone 4 its due, and start treating it like other publishers treat their flagship shooter franchises. If it's being targeted for PS4, then I think they'll at least give it the same amount of attention that they gave Killzone 2, given they'll want it to really show off the console.
It kind of feels like with 3D and Move support, they spent a lot of time tinkering with the engine rather than actually creating the game that they wanted. It's clear that with no online co-op, they simply didn't have the time to features that fans were demanding. Even then, the final product's quality was pretty good, at least tech wise.

A next-gen console with a fresh start could be just the boost they need to truly create a popular game. They still have to hire proper writers and properly utilize the in-depth lore that the series has. If you were a Killzone 2 fan (online), Killzone 3 simply was a downgrade on many levels. I had some fun with it but it just didn't have the longevity. Guerrilla is a great developer and they have it in them to create a kickass game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SuckerPunch is a single team studio, and will always be that way.

They are growing their design team. They hired Jamie Griesemer a while back, and recently hired Jeff McGann who was Design Lead on BioShock Infinite and formerly Creative Director at Red Storm.

Interesting.

So they've hired one who worked on Halo and the other on Bioshock, hmmmm..SuckerPunch FPS game incoming I guess.

Drago

Ah that was some phone game. Activision canceled 2 Crash games. One was a reboot at Radical, and the other was a Crash Team Racing reboot at High Impact Games.

The Radical reboot could have been interesting... I don't exactly remember completely but I think I ended up liking the Titan games. Something new by them could have been a decent game.

High Impact Games doesn't have the best track record so I don't know how that would have been, but I think I would rather not know. :p

Takao

Banned
SCE has a relationship with United Front Games. They developed Modnation Racers and are working on LittleBigPlanet Karting. SCE should open some new studios in Canada for sure. Lots of talent and tax breaks.

Completely forgot about UFG. How big are they? I think if Sleeping Dogs is a success SQenix might sweep in for a purchase.

Takao

Banned
The Radical reboot could have been interesting... I don't exactly remember completely but I think I ended up liking the Titan games. Something new by them could have been a decent game.

High Impact Games doesn't have the best track record so I don't know how that would have been, but I think I would rather not know. :p

Crash looked pretty mischievous based on the renders from the Radical reboot:
5akKj.jpg

As for the HIG CTR reboot, well I think you can probably play some of it. They shipped this game with Activision a year after CTR was canned:

GByP3.png

Drago

Crash looked pretty mischievous based on the renders from the Radical reboot:
5akKj.jpg

As for the HIG CTR reboot, well I think you can probably play some of it. They shipped this game with Activision a year after CTR was canned:

GByP3.png

That Crash model looks a little wacky, but it's out of context so I don't know. Could have been good, but I guess we'll never know.

And watching the CGR review of that Dreamworks Kart game, it seems like a decent yet middling game. Probably wouldn't have lived up to the CTR name.

Top Bottom