• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios have expanded a lot since last gen

Is it crazy to think that Sony First Party is better than Nintendo First Party or is it still taboo ?

It's not crazy at all. I love Mario and Zelda and probably always will but you get so much more from Sony right now. I definitely rate them higher.

Come at me GAF.

Sorcery didn't seem to be that bad. It really should've gotten JK Rowling's seal of approval alongside Wonderbook.

It's not bad, but it's also not at the quality that it should be. I'm not saying everything has to be the quality of an Uncharted, but they need to try to improve the quality so that people look at their brand the same way that people look at Nintendo. Where you know that nearly everything they put out is high quality. Sony has such a high output that it leads to them putting out mediocre-bad games far too often. They need to just pull back on that. I wouldn't say stop working with devs that have a bad track record, because you really couldn't get much worse than what Naughty Dog was before Sony started working with them, but if they do work with a dev like that then they need to keep a very close eye on them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So? I like Hot Shots and couldn't give a shit about the portable versions. I want to see another console iteration and can't believe it's been over 5 years and I'm still waiting.

HSG is a Japanese IP. In Japan handhelds are king. You'll still be waiting for that home console HSG when the PS4 rolls in.

as much as we love Sony for making all these new IP, they still have a hard time finding the really big hit like Halo or Gears. GT is their biggest hit and that take a long time to make.

I think from Sony's point off view, it's better to gamble on new IP hoping they got that really big hit, than keep making older IP that while successful, probably won'tbe a big seller.

Duffyside

Banned
Motorstorm is tragic because pacific rift and apocalypse are awesome but resistance sank itself when insomniac made r2. They ruined that franchise's future.

The highest-rated and best-selling Resistance, too. Just ironic. Well, and also sad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It sold well because of the good will from the first. The rating is hilarious though. Games media is so worthless.

Ravage

as much as we love Sony for making all these new IP, they still have a hard time finding the really big hit like Halo or Gears. GT is their biggest hit and that take a long time to make.

I think from Sony's point off view, it's better to gamble on new IP hoping they got that really big hit, than keep making older IP that while successful, probably won'tbe a big seller.

Hm..I might be wrong on this but isn't Uncharted (and God of War) pretty close to Gears sales-wise? They need to crank out GT sequels faster though.

Matt

SONY going into the PS3 generation made a wise decisions.

Stop wasting money on third party exclusives and make their own first party stronger.

The foundation was this generation with great IPs however I think the PS4 generations is going to kick ass.

If only people bought these first party games....

BHK3

Banned
Motorstorm is tragic because pacific rift and apocalypse are awesome but resistance sank itself when insomniac made r2. They ruined that franchise's future.

It truly is, so much shit happened around the release. I didn't like Apocalypse but Pacific Rift was out of this world.

Hm..I might be wrong on this but isn't Uncharted (and God of War) pretty close to Gears sales-wise? They need to crank out GT sequels faster though.

Uncharted, God of War, and GT are all at 5m and counting.

People acting like all these games don't sell need to check. They don't push Halo numbers, but they sell fine. Even Infamous pushed over 1m, Heavy Rain pushed 2m, etc.

Don't let the sales of a few IP skew perspective, their games sell fine, and always have.

Ravage

If only people bought these first party games....

I think they did the right thing by funding experimental IPs like LBP, Heavy Rain, Journey etc...games 3rd parties will never make.

What they need to stop funding are non-AAA shooters like Resistance, Socom and StarHawk. Regardless of their quality, there's just no sense in competing in the overcrowded shooter market especially without a huge marketing and development budget.

cyborg009

Banned
I think they did the right thing by funding experimental IPs like LBP, Heavy Rain, Journey etc...games 3rd parties will never make.

What they need to stop funding are non-AAA shooters like Resistance, Socom and StarHawk. Regardless of their quality, there's just no sense in competing in the overcrowded shooter market especially without a huge marketing and development budget.

I agree with you on that but Socom fall came from multiple factors especially the PSN outage...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
CiT is the best ratchet. I am all for insomniac bashing but let's limit it to where they actually did the thing that will lead to their eventual purchase by Chinese f2p iOS developers and closure (r2).

Ravage

nah
FOM was the last thing they made that was exiting. Great title

ps3 Ratchets aren't even that good. I was very underwhelmed with Both titles and Quest for Booty.

Definitely disagree. Crack in Time is excellent and is one of my favorite games this gen.

apana

Uncharted, God of War, and GT are all at 5m and counting.

People acting like all these games don't sell need to check. They don't push Halo numbers, but they sell fine. Even Infamous pushed over 1m, Heavy Rain pushed 2m, etc.

Don't let the sales of a few IP skew perspective, their games sell fine, and always have.

It's not just about sales, it's about system sellers. I'm willing to bet there is a lot of overlap between the people buying these games. So just hitting millions doesn't really do the job. Sony's main system sellers outside of Gran Turismo are now either multiplatform or in decline. People associate the golden era of Sony with games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto. Uncharted is not a system seller of that kind. God of War is a little bit better but still not a monster. Even if they were to get exclusive Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid games from now on I doubt if those games push consoles like they used to.

Ravage

It's not just about sales, it's about system sellers. I'm willing to bet there is a lot of overlap between the people buying these games.

I find it hard to believe that there's a lot of overlap between the target audience of God of War, Gran Turismo and Uncharted. Just curious, why do think it's more significant than the Halo-Gears overlap?

A Crack in Time is my favorite Ratchet, and all around much better than Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty (though nothing tops the theme of Q4B). If I had to break things into tiers:

Tier 0 (god tier):

LittleBigPlanet 1/2
Demon's Souls
Uncharted 1-3 (yes, 1!)

Tier 1:

A Crack in Time
Killzone 2 (and I guess 3)
God of War III
Gran Turismo 5
Infamous 2

Tier 2:

Tools of Destruction/Quest for Booty
Infamous 1
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk (haven't played much Starhawk yet)

And I agree that Resistance on the whole is underwhelming. I had fond memories of R1, but I replayed it several months ago and the level design felt so archaic and unimmersive compared to other shooters from this gen. Still need to play the third one, though.

Also, Lair needs to be included in that list of new Sony IPs! ;D

Mxrz

It's not crazy at all. I love Mario and Zelda and probably always will but you get so much more from Sony right now. I definitely rate them higher.

Come at me GAF.

You're not alone by any means.

It's not just about sales, it's about system sellers. I'm willing to bet there is a lot of overlap between the people buying these games. So just hitting millions doesn't really do the job. Sony's main system sellers outside of Gran Turismo are now either multiplatform or in decline. People associate the golden era of Sony with games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto. Uncharted is not a system seller of that kind. God of War is a little bit better but still not a monster. Even if they were to get exclusive Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid games from now on I doubt if those games push consoles like they used to.

I don't think you can't gauge future system sellers off current franchises. There are a lot of different factors involved; sequel fatigue, developer performance, gaming trends and the like. I'd argue with so many studios doing different kinds of things, Sony is in a pretty good position to find that next big hit.

Peace Tea

I'm sure Insomniac will be there at PS4 launch with something exciting, right Sony?

A new ip is all we can hope for, at this point.

Part of the reason insomniac generated any kind of excitement was because they were THE developer to release two fun games for a young console that then also had a seemingly scarce library.

That and they succeeded in including a lot of popular features, within r1, that were absent from ps3's os.

apana

I find it hard to believe that there's a lot of overlap between the target audience of God of War, Gran Turismo and Uncharted. Just curious, why do think it's more significant than the Halo-Gears overlap?

Between God of War and Uncharted yes, Gran Turismo has its own audience. I don't know if it's more significant than the Halo-Gears overlap.

You're not alone by any means.

I don't think you can't gauge future system sellers off current franchises. There are a lot of different factors involved; sequel fatigue, developer performance, gaming trends and the like. I'd argue with so many studios doing different kinds of things, Sony is in a pretty good position to find that next big hit.

Yes it is hard to predict what will be the next big hit but certain companies have a good track record of making these games, Nintendo probably being the best example. Could Sony stumble onto something, yes, but I have no huge reasons to be optimistic on that front. Sony's approach still seems to be that they want their various studios to make good games and the collection of those games will add value to the system.

Huff

Banned
Where Sony struggles and needs to learn from Nintendo is how to balance multiple systems with quality games. Looks they've improved, but still not their yet

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Those are all AAA shooters from their price tags. More than $15 million each.

BadAss2961

Come at me GAF.
I agree. Sony has an answer for almost (RPG?) every major genre. Multiple answers in some. Plus they've taken risks, like funding a AAA adventure game in Heavy Rain.

Right now, as much as I love them, it's still only Zelda and Mario from Nintendo for me. And I feel that both of those franchises have a lot of expanding to do.

Ravage

Those are all AAA shooters from their price tags. More than $15 million each.

That's still very little compared to the monstrous budgets of COD, Battlefield, Halo, etc

I wasn't aware that there's a clear definition of 'AAA' but anyway i was simply using it as a relative term.

I hope sony doesn't go completely new IP for the first few years of the ps4 like they did for the ps3. Every major sony studio moved onto new ip's for the first few years of the ps3 it was weird.

It wasn't until MGS4 and GT5p in 08 that sequels to loved franchises stared to come out and I bet the lack of known brands hurt them a bit.

They need to continue with Uncharted, God of War and Gran turismo in the first year or 2 of ps4 but every other franchise could probably be dropped and not a single fuck would be given.

Maybe GG should take a crack at making a new FPS IP since resistance is finally dead and killzone will probably be rapped up with a ps3 game and so then sony can finally have one true PlayStation exclusive FPS to rule them all.

Evolution and Liverpool really should just make something to entertain the Gran Turismo crowd in the 5 years+ between GT games. PD isnt going to step there game up and start releasing stuff faster so there is clearly a opening there and with big budget UK game development is shrinking every month they are probably one more bomba away from closing. I think a Evolution guy already talked about how they though MS apocalypse could have been the end if sony wasn't so damn nice about how the poor timing of that game and the japanese earthquake messed it up.

I hope sony doesn't go completely new IP for the first few years of the ps4 like they did for the ps3. Every major sony studio moved onto new ip's for the first few years of the ps3 it was weird.

It wasn't until MGS4 and GT5p in 08 that sequels to loved franchises stared to come out and I bet the lack of known brands didnt help.

They need to continue with Uncharted, God of War and Gran turismo in the first year or 2 of ps4 but every other franchise could probably be dropped and not a single fuck would be given.

Maybe GG should take a crack at making a new FPS IP since resistance is finally dead and killzone will probably be rapped up with a ps3 game and so then sony can finally have one true PlayStation exclusive FPS to rule them all.

Evolution and Liverpool really should just make something to entertain the Gran Turismo crowd in the 5 years+ between GT games. PD isnt going to step there game up and start releasing stuff faster so there is clearly a opening there and with big budget UK game development is shrinking every month they are probably one more bomba away from closing. I think a Evolution guy already talked about how they though MS apocalypse could have been the end if sony wasn't so damn nice about how the poor timing of that game and the japanese earthquake messed it up.

That's kind of Sonys MO and I kind of like that for the most part they move on and create new franchises. Sure games I'd love to see return dont always make it, but i am also happy to see the studios aren't slaves to churning out the same franchises for eternity. Sucker punch moved from more sly to infamous, Naughty dog moved from crash to J&D to Uncharted, etc. Nintendo has become weighed down by all their franchises getting sequels and it'd be good for them to make more new ips.

And put me in the camp of liking Sonys output over current Nintendo. I like the willingness to try new things, new ips, support and foster small good games, and develop a good diverse lineup.

Sucker Punch are strongly rumoured to be a two team studio now as well.

Santa Monica now handle two AAA IP teams in the same building as well as their producers that handle external studios.

I just wish they'd have a portable team in each studio to create for Vita.

We would never have seen this studios expand if Sony didnt lose its 3rd party support, glad they did. Next gen they will be even bigger, Naughty God and SSM already have 4 teams working on games simultaneously.

Hopefully with the UK tax-breaks planned for UK software development we should see the UK games development seem get bigger.

I would use that opportunity to open a few more studios/teams within studios to create Vita games.

Top Bottom