• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios have expanded a lot since last gen

Globox_82

Banned
Oh my bad. For a moment there I thought you meant that Sony should get rid of them completely.

Hell no. That's what I like about Sony, supporting their studios no matter what. However I think some of their studios deserve more support instead. Like Bend and Sony Cambridge as I wrote earlier.
Who knows maybe GG redeem them selves with new IP they are working on.

sn00zer

Sony has the best and most varied 1st/2nd party titles of any console. With the current way it's progressing the PS4 will have a stellar line-up.

Exact reason I want a PS3...PC for multiplat, PS3 for exclusives.... outside of Kinect, some XBLA games, Gears, Forza, Banjo and Halo 360 has very few exclusives

Takao

Banned
We haven't had a LTD on LBP2, but I'm sure it's doing OK, and will probably attract longer term sales once it is discounted more generally like the first did. I thought I heard something about the franchise attracting hundreds of thousands of new users over the Black Friday weekend (although that was probably due to a promo on the original or something). MM is profitable and expanding, I don't think there's a dearth of confidence there.

They are not, however, hinging their future on LBP, if you're worried about that franchise's popularity waning. They've moved into a supervisory role wrt LBP and are moving on to new things.

LBP2 was in that $199 PS3 bundle with Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One.

tzare

i agree, sony is now the best first party regarding variety and quality. Now they need a killer game, they Halo/mario/COD to boost hardware sales though

Personally I couldn't believe high score that KZ2 got once I played it. This is speaking mostly from SP and gameplay. It's so dull and boring. I had to force my self through SP. Most of the game makes you go "huh". It's so silly and stupid. And that ending.....major "roll my eyes moment". Controls are something special....there should be a rule that bans games with floaty imprecise controls, especially FPS where controls are everything.

The special thing about KZ2 was the MP. SP was just there because it had to be. It's a shame more people didn't get in on it as it was completely different from the hyper ADS campfest in COD.

Wasn't MistWalker under MS just basically an outsourcing house for smaller, shittier companies with The Gooch calling the shots but not having any real money to work with?

No. First of all, Mistwalker was never "under MS". Microsoft helped kickstart the studio, but they were always independent, with Microsoft serving only as a publisher. After Microsoft they had the same relationship with Nintendo, Bandai Namco and others.

Secondly, Mistwalker was never forced to work with "smaller, shittier companies". They choose to collaborate with other studios because they prefer to only take care of certain creative aspects of development while leaving the grunt work to their partners.

Huff

Banned
We haven't had a LTD on LBP2, but I'm sure it's doing OK, and will probably attract longer term sales once it is discounted more generally like the first did. I thought I heard something about the franchise attracting hundreds of thousands of new users over the Black Friday weekend (although that was probably due to a promo on the original or something). MM is profitable and expanding, I don't think there's a dearth of confidence there.

They are not, however, hinging their future on LBP, if you're worried about that franchise's popularity waning. They've moved into a supervisory role wrt LBP and are moving on to new things.

That black friday deal came with LBP2, so there is a copy going into another million peoples' hands

LBP has certainly seemed consistently populated and active. Sure 90% of the community levels are garbage, but that's just Sturgeon's Law.

The other 10% are people who played the game for more than a few hours and realized there's more going on and more possible than floaty jumps.

I'm intrigued by the Unfinished Swan, but have this terrible feeling that it could be either a really neat way to pass time, or another indie hipster chore.

SappYoda

I think it would benefit Sony if all their studios worked on all platforms.

I can't stop drooling at the though of a Naughty Dog Vita game. Or a Sony Bend PS3 game.

I might be in the minority, I believe Sony pulled the trigger too soon on LBP2.
The first was pretty groundbreaking and did very well (in relation to the userbase at the time). I feel it was a game they could have continuously added content to and just let the user-generated material flourish for years.

LBP2 did some great things, but one of the primary reasons I passed on it was because I hadn't even experienced 1/4 of LBP1's content and wasn't crazy about dropping another $60 on a sequel while still getting a lot out of the original.

Combine that with the portable versions, I feel burnt out on the whole brand at this point.

All that said, I'd love to see Media Molecule pull off something amazing with a PS4 Little Big Planet- but hopefully they leave it in the oven to cook for a bit.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Ghost Hunter was so good :(

I love you both for that. I thought I was the only person that thought Primal and Ghost Hunter were awesome.

I bought Primal after playing the demo and loved it. I bought Ghost Hunter on a whim and also loved it. Had such a great "The Real Ghostbusters" vibe to it.

I secretly hoped that Sony would do a "Lost Gems" HD Collection and include "The Mark of Kri, Primal, and Ghost Hunter." Those games deserved more love.

Sony's been building up their 1st and 2nd party relations since the PS2 era, it's only that now, with the PS3, a lot of their devs are getting the recognition they deserved.

Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerrilla, and Santa Monica didn't get as much love as they do now, since last gen seemed to have a huge focus on Japanese developers.

Western and non-Japanese (European) developers have really taken to this generation like fish to water. I love my Japanese developed games, but I think it's fair to say that many Japanese developers have been struggling this gen.

Sony's first and second party stable of developers is impressive.

The OP mentioned Microsoft and Nintendo's devs:

Nintendo:

1st party owned:
Retro Studios inc.
Nd Cube inc.
Project Sora inc.
Brownie Brown
Monolith Soft

Software development studio located in Tokyo, Japan. This studio was previously owned by Namco Bandai, until 2007 when Namco-Bandai transferred 80% of its 96% stake to Nintendo. At a later date the remaining 16% was sold so the company is currently 96% Nintendo owned and 4% 3rd Parties.
Intelligent Systems
HAL Laboratory

Partners:
AlphaDream
Camelot Software Planning
Jupiter Corp.
Monster Games
Next Level Games
Paon
Skip Ltd.
Noise
Game Freak
Ambrella
Kuju Entertainment
Creatures Inc.
The Pokémon Company
Genius Sonority

I couldn't find Microsoft's listing, but I remember from a few years back that they don't have nearly as many development houses as Sony and Nintendo.

Hey You

I couldn't find Microsoft's listing, but I remember from a few years back that they don't have nearly as many development houses as Sony and Nintendo.

I'll throw together a list:

Microsoft 1st Party Studios:

343i
Turn 10
Twisted Pixel
Good Science
Xbox Live Productions (?)
MGS Mobile Gaming
MGS Family
Kids and Lifestyle Entertainment
Lionhead
Rare
MGS Soho
Big Park
MGS Vancouver
MGS Victoria

sn00zer

343i
Turn 10
Twisted Pixel
Good Science
MGS Mobile Gaming
MGS Family
Lionhead
Rare
MGS Soho
Big Park
MGS Vancouver
MGS Victoria
The difference between these and Sony studios is that a lot of the games produced by these companies come out for PC as well while PS developers develop exclusively for Sony products. Not a critique, just a comment.

Hey You

The difference between these and Sony studios is that a lot of the games produced by these companies come out for PC as well while PS developers develop exclusively for Sony products. Not a critique, just a comment.

Yeah, but I thought I would throw those developers into the mix as (I think) all of the PC games use Games for Windows Live and always the possibility of them working on a Xbox game too.

There are differences between Microsoft's and Sony's studios (like the fact that most of Microsoft's new studios remain unproven so far), but that one is really not worth mentioning. The only studios on that list that have ever released a game for Windows (which is, you know, also a Microsoft product) are Twisted Pixel (a single game before they were bought by Microsoft, The Maw), Lionhead (a single game since they were bought by Microsoft, Fable III) and Rare (a single game since they were bought by Microsoft, Viva Pinata).

Basch

343i
Turn 10
Twisted Pixel
Good Science
MGS Mobile Gaming
MGS Family
Lionhead
Rare
MGS Soho
Big Park
MGS Vancouver
MGS Victoria

Also, some of these just opened and have absolutely no reputation. I'm excited to see what they have cooking up as well, but we still haven't seen anything.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Didn't Sony bail out Square after Guch fucked things up by nearly bankrupting Square with his shitty CG movie?

I don't think Sony did much for them, but the merger with Enix was, IIRC, done as an effort to save Square from going belly up after Gooch nearly crashed the entire company with his fuck awful flop of a movie.

Globox_82

Banned
Link for Santa Monica doing a PS4 IP?

PS4, no one can say.
However they are working on NEW IP. Job listings on Gamasutra have pointed to it, and SSM that was on BR hinted that senior member have moved on to something new.
Coincidentally GOWA has new game director. What is stig doing? New IP.

Didn't Sony bail out Square after Guch fucked things up by nearly bankrupting Square with his shitty CG movie?

This post was a few months ago but Sony bought like 20% of Square's shares if I remember correctly. Though that was pre-merger so if they've still got them, they'd only own like 7-8%.

SpokkX

While it's a big list, and Sony have published some great games this generation, their batting average is still really low I think.

...and of course Metroid Prime is pretty much better than any game Sony has shipped this generation, so the Armature deal could certainly result in great things. .

agree completely. Sony gets an A for effort but their games usually turn out average/ok with some exceptions that turn out great (naughty dog, ico team).

They may have many teams but Nintendo they are not... Not even close IMO. The armature deal could produce something cool though.... But armature have been delegated to porting stuff so.. Hmm

agree completely. Sony gets an A for effort but their games usually turn out average/ok with some exceptions that turn out great (naughty dog, ico team).

They may have many teams but Nintendo they are not... Not even close IMO. The armature deal could produce something cool though.... But armature have been delegated to porting stuff so.. Hmm

Completely subjective. SCE WWS is my favourite pulblisher by far this gen and the strongest reasn I own a Playstation.

Globox_82

Banned

Completely subjective. I dislike all Nintendo IPs. that doesn't make them average.

Cygnus X-1

Completely subjective. I dislike all Nintendo IPs. that doesn't make them average.

Isn't it more an arbitrary decision instead of a disliking factor? It is impossible to dislike all IP of such a large developer unless you want to.

I'm not a huge fan of PS3 for example, but I like many of Sony's IPs. Same for Microsoft. And I don't like all Nintendo's IPs of course.

Globox_82

Banned
Isn't it more an arbitrary decision instead of a disliking factor? It is impossible to dislike all IP of such a large developer unless you want to.

I'm not a huge fan of PS3 for example, but I like many of Sony's IPs. Same for Microsoft. And I don't like all Nintendo's IPs of course.

Well I should have added, that out of all Nintendo IPs that I have tried, are not to my liking.

But like I said that is irrelevant, it's just my preference.

That's why it's impossible to say Nintendo is better then Sony or vice versa, it comes down to gaming taste.

I have also included games that Sony have published, The Pixeljunk game are Sony published games.
Then you should relabel as such. It's not Sony exclusive developers, it's simply Sony contracted developers.

Pixeljunk is only published by SCEA/SCEE on PS3/PSP btw. Q-Games selfpublishes in Japan on PS3 and worldwide on Steam. Q-Games also owns the IP.

It's sort of like considering Dragon Quest IX a Nintendo game.

theBishop

Banned
I'm not saying they are, I'm saying sales are an example of an objective measurement.

So is binary size.

As for the thread, yeah it's a big list. I read somewhere that SCE is the 3rd largest game publisher in the world by workforce. And I doubt any other publisher launched as many original franchises this generation.

bede-x

I am aware of that, I will request a mod to change the topic title, if there is a Nintendo and MS list added to the OP.

Would it have to contain studios that have worked on some exclusive or other? Across both retail(including Kinect titles) and download?

If so the Microsoft list would be quite long as you would have to add studios such as Epic, Artoon, Mistwalker, Realtime Worlds, Ruffian, Treasure and a ton of others. The XBLA list alone would take a while..

So is binary size.

As for the thread, yeah it's a big list. I read somewhere that SCE is the 3rd largest game publisher in the world by workforce. And I doubt any other publisher launched as many original franchises this generation.
Nintendo launched more original IPs this gen.

Globox_82

Banned
A little update on first/second party:
In podcast Beyond episode 243 Yoshida answers question on closing studios and opening second and third team in studios that they have. At around 21 min in he says "if studio has the ambition to become larger or do more things, become two teams or three teams we kinda work out the plan with each studio " .
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1225017p1.html

I guess he was talking about the most successful studios that they have, I could only see Naughty Dog or SSM having 3 teams.

It's great talk on SWWS.

SONY going into the PS3 generation made a wise decisions.

Stop wasting money on third party exclusives and make their own first party stronger.

The foundation was this generation with great IPs however I think the PS4 generations is going to kick ass.

Top Bottom