• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios have expanded a lot since last gen

Stole this list from
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33988626&postcount=1621

It seems Sony have many studios at work. I think the reason for this is so they can support Vita and PS3 at the same time, it also helps to have extra studios when moving on to PS4, for example, Naughty Dogg has one studio making a PS3 game late in it's life, and most likely another studio developing a PS4 game.

3rd party studios that are developing exclusive for Sony
Sanzaru Games - Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Eat Sleep Play - Twisted Metal
ThatGameCompany - Journey (PSN)
Giant Sparrow - The Unfinished Swan (PSN)
Developer TBA - Until Dawn (unannounced)
Ready At Dawn - Unannounced Title
Quantic Dream - Two unannounced Titles
Tarsier Studios - Exclusive 1st party agreement. Currently working on LittleBigPlanet Vita and other projects
Novarama Studios - Exclusive 1st party agreement. Reality Fighters and other titles.
Minority - Papo and Yo (PSN)
Armature Studios - Unannounced Project
Superbot Entertainment - PlayStation Title Fight (unannounced)
Double Eleven - LittleBigPlanet Vita
Lightbox Interactive - Starhawk
The Workshop - Sorcery
Nihilistic - Resistance: Burning Skies
Q Games - PixelJunk 4 A.M, other Pixeljunk titles
Idol Minds - Ruin
Fun Bits - Escape Plan
Mass Media Inc - Jak & Daxter HD Collection
HouseMarque - SuperStardust Delta
HoneySlug - Frobisher Says
Queasy Games - Sound Shapes
Plastic - Datura (Move game)
Clap Hanz - Hot Shots Golf Vita
Zindagi - MediEvil Moves/Spots Champions
Supermassive Games Tumble/Start The Party

These are the 1st party IP's being worked on by 1st party studios:
Studio Cambridge - Killzone Vita
Naughty Dog - The Last of Us
SCEJ Studio Japan - Gravity Daze/Rush
Team ICO - The Last Guardian
San Diego Studios - MLB: The Show, Modnation Racers: Road Trip
Zipper Interactive - Unit 13
Studio Liverpool - WipEout 2098
Evolution Studios - MotorStorm R.C

Then we have to consider their 1st party teams with unannounced projects:
Guerilla Games Team 1
Guerilla Games Team 2
Naughty Dog (Uncharted Team)
Polyphony Digital
Evolution Studios (Main team)
Media Molecule
Santa Monica (GOW Team)
Zipper Interactive (PS3 team)
Sucker Punch Productions
Studio London
BigBig Studios

If someone can do a list similar for Microsoft and Nintendo, I will add to the OP.

Sony is working with 47 studios and teams, 16 VITA games. Well did learn a little. i hope they ramp up the support for the VITA because it still around third of their support is going to the platform. A third of support going to the VITA, Sony´s new handheld is not good imo.

Sony is working with 47 studios and teams, 16 VITA games. Well did learn a little. i hope they ramp up the support for the VITA because it still around third of their support is going to the platform. A third of support going to the VITA, Sony´s new handheld is not good imo.

A great deal of Sony's plans for Vita haven't been announced yet. By the sounds of things they have the first few years of its life planned out. We still don't know the full list of developers developing an exclusive for Vita and we still don't know who is making PlayStation Suite titles.

I'm more than happy with Sony's commitment to Vita thus far.

yurinka

thought naughty dog said they want to do new IP with new system.
like Jak for PS2, Uncharted for PS3...

Yep, but unlike before they now have 2 teams. One did Uncharted sequel and another the new IP.

UC3? Not in US, Japan or Europe. Gears did 2+million just in the US debut (vs. 700k for UC3 in US)

Reach was at like 5 million back in 2010, GT5 was at 7 million in September 2011...so both should be around 8 million.

I did a quick search in wikipedia:
Worldwide most recent numbers (US is too Xbox centric and PAL land too PS3 centric)

Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 5.3 million (sept. 2011)
Gran Turismo 5 7.3 million (sept. 2011)
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Uncharted 3.5 million (E3 2009)
Uncharted 2 4.9 million (October 2011)
Uncharted 3 3.7 million (day 1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted:_Drake's_Fortune
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_2:_Among_Thieves
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_3:_Drake's_Deception

MGS4 5 million (December 2009)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4:_Guns_of_the_Patriots

Gears 5.88 million (Nov. 2008)
Gears 2 5+ million (May 2009)
Gears 3 3+ million (1st week)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_War_2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_War_3

Halo 3 8.1 million (Jan 2008)
Halo Wars 1 million (March 2009)
Halo3 ODST 3 million (Nov 2009)
Halo Reach 4.7 million (WARNING! US NPD only, no bundled copies here or worldwide numbers included / available, Sept 2011)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3:_ODST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Reach

Too lazy to search Forza, Fable, Alan Wake, Kameo, Perfect Dark, Dance Central, Motorstorm, Killzone, LBP, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Resistance etc numbers.
If someone can continue would be welcomed.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The Firmware updates are more of an indictment of the XMB OS than anything else. It wasn't developed to have major features added on and that's why the big features people want will never happen. If you're going to judge their operating system team, judge them on the Vita's OS, which by all accounts is fantastic.

As for the lack of PS3 games, where the hell do you think they'd come from? Trees? SCEJ doesn't control the budget, SCE do. As I said before (and you subsequently ignored), SCE obviously has a strategy to invest most of their budget in western development rather than eastern. So if you want to blame anyone, blame Kaz Hirai.

I also find it funny that you only mention the PS3 when SCEJ put out a number of PSP games as well. But hey, let's just ignore that because it doesn't prove your point. And let's also not point out how poorly SCEA and SCEE supported the PSP.

They've been adding features, but they've been either useless garbage like printer support, or PS+ exclusive features. But I was reallt referring more to constant FW updates that seemingly don't do anything besides vague 'stability fixes' or whatever Sony likes to call it.

I'll give you that one, SCEWW are really the ones to blame. Their budgets have been allocated for Western developers, and SCEJ have been left working on the PSP and PSN. I can sort of understand their reasoning though, haven't the Japanese home console market been declining, while it's been growing in the West?

As for the PSP, I ignored it just like markets outside Japan have been doing for the last few years. It's completely irrelevant in Western markets
(just like the Vita will be)
, and whatever SCEJ releases for it is if no importance to NA or EU since it's dead here anyway.

Hiltz

Sony does have an impressive amount of studios and a varied list of franchises. It needs em too especially since this generation marks the loss of former key exclusive home console PlayStation franchises such as Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Monster Hunter, and Dragon Quest.

fernoca

Worldwide most recent numbers (US is too Xbox centric and PAL land too PS3 centric)

*numbers*

Too lazy to search Forza, Fable, Alan Wake, Kameo, Perfect Dark, Dance Central, Motorstorm, Killzone, LBP, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Resistance etc numbers.
If someone can continue would be welcomed.
Keep in mind that as noted earlier, the numbers are combinations of shipped alone, shipped with bundles, NPD, one region ,worldwide, etc.

For example, Halo Reach's 4.7 million is US only and seeing how it in the US it was:
-Month #1: 3.3 million
-Month #2: 315k
-Month #3: 355k
Which is technically 4 million in 3 months (in 2010) just in the US, there's no way that it was 4.7 million worldwide..by September 2011. And just games; since the game not only had a limited edition console bundle at launch, but has also been bundle like twice since then.

Uncharted 3, Sony announced 3.8 million units shipped day one, but worldwide. And from the looks of the 700k in US-first month, 200k or so in Japan first month and Europe; the game did a little over half that in the first month...which guess that means that the 3.8 million shipped also included the PS3-320GB bundles.

As usual, you are spinning the truth in lieu of having actual facts. Those are mostly shipped numbers which would include bundling and the Halo Reach number you listed is US sales, not worldwide.

yurinka

Keep in mind that as noted earlier, the numbers are combinations of shipped alone, shipped with bundles, NPD, one region ,worldwide, etc.

For example, Halo Reach's 4.7 million is US only and seeing how it in the US it was:
-Month #1: 3.3 million
-Month #2: 315k
-Month #3: 355k
Which is technically 4 million in 3 months (in 2010) just in the US, there's no way that it was 4.7 million worldwide..by September 2011. And just games; since the game not only had a limited edition console bundle at launch, but has also been bundle like twice since then.

Uncharted 3, Sony announced 3.8 million units shipped day one, but worldwide. And from the looks of the 700k in US-first month, 200k or so in Japan first month and Europe; the game did a little over half that in the first month...which guess that means that the 3.8 million shipped also included the PS3-320GB bundles.
As usual, you are spinning the truth in lieu of having actual facts. Those are mostly shipped numbers which would include bundling and the Halo Reach number you listed is US sales, not worldwide.

Sorry! As I stated in my previous post I just did a quick search in Wikipedia trying to find the most recent worldwide numbers. Double checked it, Wikipedia says the Reach numbers are from NA (but they are NPD, US only in their source), so not worldwide. Do you have worldwide or more accurate Reach numbers? I would like to put WW numbers there like in the other games. Wikipedia doesn't have it.

Their original source was Gamasutra quoting "A full list of the top-selling new retail titles in the U.S. from January 2010 through September 2011" made with NPD (so US only, and not including bundled / special editions units) http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38447/Black_Ops_Leads_20102011_US_Sales_With_15M_Units.php

My idea was to post the most recent worldwide numbers, typically announced by the publishers. When a publisher say they sold XX millions worldwide of a game, for sure it means they shipped / sold to retailers that quantity including all their versions, both as normal games, limited editions, bundled copies and even the ones at a reduced price if released. I would like to have this total, worldwide numbers. Unlike in NPD numbers which are US only and doesn't count bundled copies, special editions etc.

If you have more recent / accurated number for this or other exclusives feel free to post them, would be cool to have a cleaner picture.

StuBurns

Banned
Double checked it, Wikipedia says the Reach numbers are NA sales. Not US or worldwide.
My idea was to post the most recent worldwide numbers announced by them.
Do we have worldwide or more recent Reach numbers?

Isn't North America the same as the US? I use them interchangeably, maybe I shouldn't.

Double checked it, Wikipedia says the Reach numbers are NA sales. Not US or worldwide.
My idea was to post the most recent worldwide numbers announced by them.
Do we have worldwide or more recent Reach numbers?
I don't think so, which is weird because I'm sure it's past 5 million, but I haven't seen them do a pr about it.

yurinka

Isn't North America the same as the US? I use them interchangeably, maybe I shouldn't.
The numbers were 'NA' in Wikipedia (so that would include Canada and maybe others), but in their Gamasutra source they are mentioned as US numbers. I edited my post. Because with 'Europe' numbers is even worse : sometimes they only take 6 best selling countries, sometimes they take more european countries, sometimes are for EMEA markets, sometimes are from all the PAL markets. I think it's confusing, so that is why prefer worldwide numbers.

Because they are total and include everything.

I'll give you that one, SCEWW are really the ones to blame. Their budgets have been allocated for Western developers, and SCEJ have been left working on the PSP and PSN. I can sort of understand their reasoning though, haven't the Japanese home console market been declining, while it's been growing in the West?

As for the PSP, I ignored it just like markets outside Japan have been doing for the last few years. It's completely irrelevant in Western markets
(just like the Vita will be)
, and whatever SCEJ releases for it is if no importance to NA or EU since it's dead here anyway.
Well, consider the combined budget of what Sony Japan released this gen:

-Gran Turismo HD, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Gran Turismo 5, its DLC
-The Last Guardian
-Retail published stuff developed by 3rd parties (White Knight Chronicle 1 & 2, Dark Souls...)
-their PSN stuff (Siren: Blood Curse, Echocrome, Piyotama, Last Guy...)
-Move stuff (Echocrome 2, Ape Scape, Kung Fu Rider...)
-PSP stuff (GT, 2 Ape Scape, 3 Loco Roco, 3 Patapon, WKC, Echocrome, ...)

I would say combining only Last Guardian and GT numbers costs would be like all the SCEE games of this gen combined xDD

Edit: Just found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Japan_Studio
Polyphony games aren't included. I thought it was a part of SCEJ. :/

Combichristoffersen

Well, consider the combined budget of what Sony Japan released this gen:
-Gran Turismo HD, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Gran Turismo 5, its DLC
-The Last Guardian
-their PSN stuff (Siren: Blood Curse, Echocrome, Piyotama, Last Guy...)
-Move stuff (Echocrome 2, Ape Scape, Kung Fu Rider...)
-Retail published stuff developed by 3rd parties (White Knight Chronicle 1 & 2, Dark Souls...)
-PSP stuff (GT, 2 Ape Scape, 3 Loco Roco, 3 Patapon, WKC, Echocrome, ...)

Not really sure what you're trying to say here. Besides GT5 and possibly TLG, I don't think any of those others had massive budgets behind them?

Those are used games, not bargain bin games, but you've still got a point. For some reason Sony fans don't tend to buy into first party exclusives as much as Nintendo and Microsoft fans do. Might be because the PS1 and PS2 relied so heavily on third party games, while the OG Xbox didn't really have the same third party backing as the PS2, and Nintendo have always been good at selling their own games to their fanbase,

Is UK the same as Europe?

Sorry! As I stated in my previous post I just did a quick search in Wikipedia trying to find the most recent worldwide numbers. Double checked it, Wikipedia says the Reach numbers are from NA (but they are NPD, US only in their source), so not worldwide. Do you have worldwide or more accurate Reach numbers? I would like to put WW numbers there like in the other games. Wikipedia doesn't have it.

Their original source was Gamasutra quoting "A full list of the top-selling new retail titles in the U.S. from January 2010 through September 2011" made with NPD (so US only, and not including bundled / special editions units) http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38447/Black_Ops_Leads_20102011_US_Sales_With_15M_Units.php

My idea was to post the most recent worldwide numbers, typically announced by the publishers. When a publisher say they sold XX millions worldwide of a game, for sure it means they shipped / sold to retailers that quantity including all their versions, both as normal games, limited editions, bundled copies and even the ones at a reduced price if released. I would like to have this total, worldwide numbers. Unlike in NPD numbers which are US only and doesn't count bundled copies, special editions etc.

If you have more recent / accurated number for this or other exclusives feel free to post them, would be cool to have a cleaner picture.

We don't have accurate numbers and Microsoft rarely releases post launch worldwide numbers so any attempt to claim these are Worldwide accurate numbers isn't true.

That doesn't change the fact more people would confuse NA with the US than they would England with Europe.

Why would people confuse that? Makes absolutely no sense, I thought Europeans were supposed to be more enlightened and knowledgeable about the world than us ignorant Americans.

Shoot, Canada has a lot more in common with Europe than they do with the US.

StuBurns

Banned
Why would people confuse that? Makes absolutely no sense, I thought Europeans were supposed to be more enlightened and knowledgeable about the world than us ignorant Americans.

Shoot, Canada has a lot more in common with Europe than they do with the US.
I know nothing about Canada beyond that which US sitcoms have taught me.

Just so I know for future dumb American threads/posts, do Europeans also think that South America is the same thing as the US?

mollipen

I see mostly various nuances of grey here, but I dunno about the rest of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-WwJlaH6tA

Actually play the game, don't just pick random videos that show clips here and there. The world design in the game is gorgeous, and many of the video I've seen (like that) really don't do a good job of capturing the visual style that's going on (nor the wide array of colors some of the stages have).

yurinka

Not really sure what you're trying to say here. Besides GT5 and possibly TLG, I don't think any of those others had massive budgets behind them?
The idea is that they may spend a ton of money in TLG and specially GT stuff (including DLC, Prologe, HD, GT PSP game, GT TV, GT5 itself, etc) that would need the same budget than around 10 games like Motorstorm, Wipeout or LBP combined.

And in addition to that, they also had to fund outsourced some PS3 retail projects, and a lot of minor -so usually ignored- PSN/Move/PSP games which also would need their budget, even obviously it would be way smaller.

Those are used games, not bargain bin games, but you've still got a point. For some reason Sony fans don't tend to buy into first party exclusives as much as Nintendo and Microsoft fans do. Might be because the PS1 and PS2 relied so heavily on third party games, while the OG Xbox didn't really have the same third party backing as the PS2, and Nintendo have always been good at selling their own games to their fanbase,
I agree. I would add that having less exclusives helps to focus the fanboy sales in these 'few' games.

In case of PS3, having quite large number and diversification, these sales are spreaded between them. Some may prefer Uncharted, some GT, some LBP, some Wipeout, some Singstar, some Killzone etc. And maybe they want to get more and can't afford them, so they sell some previous ones to get a new one.
North America isn't a country, it's a continent.
True.
And America includes the landmasses of both North and South America. I don't know why, but it's common (and valid) to use 'America' to refer the USA only.
I don't know what the non-US American people think about it.

Combichristoffersen

Actually play the game, don't just pick random videos that show clips here and there. The world design in the game is gorgeous.

Is there a demo for it?

Just so I know for future dumb American threads/posts, do Europeans also think that South America is the same thing as the US?

I guess some eejits do think America = US, yeah.

The idea is that they may spend a ton of money in TLG and specially GT stuff (including DLC, Prologe, HD, GT PSP game, GT TV, GT5 itself, etc) that would need the same budget than around 10 games like Motorstorm, Wipeout or LBP combined.

And in addition to that, they also had to fund outsourced some PS3 retail projects, and a lot of minor -so usually ignored- PSN/Move/PSP games which also would need their budget, even obviously it would be way smaller.

I see. It makes sense to spend a ton of cash on GT though, since it's basically Sony's Halo or Mario by now (they should just adapt the Skyline as the SCEWW mascot). TLG makes less sense since Team Ico games have never been massive sellers. As for the PSN/PSP stuff; PSP stuff makes sense in Japan, but not elsewhere (like the continued FPS funding of SCEA/SCEE makes sense in the West, but not in Japan). Their PSN stuff doesn't really make sense to fund if people aren't buying it neither in Japan nor in the West.

klee123

I think we'd all love them to have a dedicated 1st party JRPG team but would it really make sense for them? Given the amount of time Sony puts into their properties it would need to do very well financially for them to keep going at it. Unless you are Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest then you wouldn't make the returns Sony would like.

Of all of the realistic purchases for Sony, very few of them would make sense.

Japanese developers struggled with the move to the HD consoles and their market is handheld dominated. If Sony were to get a couple of Japanese developers, it would probably be to support Vita.

It's not like a lot of their games from SCEA and SCEE sell amazing amounts either. Really, a game like Heavenly sword, Lair and even a Resistance would most likely fund 1-2 mid budget Japanese rpgs. Think their only success story from this gen was the Uncharted series when it came to their western output.

In the end, I personally reckon it's due to management of SCE wanting to chase after the western market, which is stupid because their efforts this gen besides God of War and Uncharted have been less than stellar, especially when the PS3 is doing pretty well in Japan at the moment. The first 2 years of the PS3 in Japan was horrendous and it was due to SCE's western focus. The problem is that we're seeing the same shit with the Vita where their first party output is once again, too western focused.

I'm not saying that SCE should stop their western output, but simply just add a bit of variety to their portfolio.

It's not like a lot of their games from SCEA and SCEE sell amazing amounts either. Really, a game like Heavenly sword, Lair and even a Resistance would most likely fund 1-2 mid budget Japanese rpgs. Think their only success story from this gen was the Uncharted series when it came to their western output.

In the end, I personally reckon it's due to management of SCE wanting to chase after the western market, which is stupid because their efforts this gen besides God of War and Uncharted have been less than stellar, especially when the PS3 is doing pretty well in Japan at the moment. The first 2 years of the PS3 in Japan was horrendous and it was due to SCE's western focus. The problem is that we're seeing the same shit with the Vita where their first party output is too western focused.

I'm not saying that SCE should stop their western output, but simply just add a bit of variety to their portfolio.

When it comes to Western output, their biggest sellers are Uncharted and God of War, but even past that, their strategy has always been 1-10 series that do a few million, and Gran Turismo, does gangbusters. It's been like that for their entire history.

Sales-wise, most of their titles from this generation have sold fine, even Infamous pushed 1.2M. Not everything has to sell 5M+ to justify their investment.

It's hard to argue that they've been too Western-focused, when that's been the overall sales trend for the HD twins.

Trevelyan

Banned
Have a feeling we'll probably either hear of SSM's game or Title fight at CES. Sid made a post on the PS Blog yesterday saying there's a game he can't wait to tell us about this week from CES. I asked if it's an unannounced game, and he simply replied with a smiley face. Come on CES!

StuBurns

Banned
Downloaded the Resistance 3 demo. Can't say I liked it all that much, really. Not quite what I'm looking for in an FPS.
Isn't it on a boat? Hardly a fitting showing of if you can circle strafe etc. Not to say you should just buy it, I think the first two Resistance games were crap and don't recommend them at all, but I don't think that demo can tell you what you wanted to know.

Combichristoffersen

Isn't it on a boat? Hardly a fitting showing of if you can circle strafe etc. Not to say you should just buy it, I think the first two Resistance games were crap and don't recommend them at all, but I don't think that demo can tell you what you wanted to know.

No, it's set in some ruined city streets. No circle strafing from what I could tell, I kept running out of ammo for the rapid-fire weapon so I had to resort to some shitty pistol (boo!), enemies kept killing me, my character moved so zetta slow even when running, and it was brown and yellow all over (not much grey though). It wasn't godawful or anything like that, but I'm really looking for FPS games that play like Duke 3D, Blood and that kind of thing, but games like that seem to be more or less dead nowadays. Duke Nukem Forever, flawed as it may be, is probably the closest I've come since Serious Sam 2 and the original Painkiller. Might have to look into Hard Reset and Serious Sam 3.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
If I were Sony I would push to acquire both Epic and Insomniac. The possibilities and money pool from licensing the Unreal engine would pretty lucrative. I'd pick up Insomniac solely because they are an excellent developer and their games, ie Ratchet and Clank appeals to a small niche this gen but its an excellent platformer. If they strike out with Overstrike, no pun intended, then I see them changing their tune about their independence. Also they seem to have a healthy and mutually beneficial relationship with Sony so I don't see why not. Sony is normally very flexible and grants their developers a high level of freedom and autonomy so they'll be able to continue to create the games they want. However Sony has dicked over some guys like Cambridge and Bend who deserve to make full fledged PS3 games of series they create. I'm dying for Resistance 4 as a PS4 launch game.

If I were Sony I would push to acquire both Epic and Insomniac. The possibilities and money pool from licensing the Unreal engine would pretty lucrative. I'd pick up Insomniac solely because they are an excellent developer and their games, ie Ratchet and Clank appeals to a small niche this gen but its an excellent platformer. If they strike out with Overstrike, no pun intended, then I see them changing their tune about their independence. Also they seem to have a healthy and mutually beneficial relationship with Sony so I don't see why not. Sony is normally very flexible and grants their developers a high level of freedom and autonomy so they'll be able to continue to create the games they want. However Sony has dicked over some guys like Cambridge and Bend who deserve to make full fledged PS3 games of series they create. I'm dying for Resistance 4 as a PS4 launch game.

I got impression that Epic is probably too big to be bought by now, and Insomniac insist they don't want to be bought. maybe if their multiplatform title crash and burned, they might going back to Sony for support although I hope Overstrike is successful since it looks great. I just hope it's a great single player game also with good ai teammate or a good squad command mechanic because I really don't play co-op games.

about Bend, I'm not sure if Bend themselves want to make ps3 titles. their team is too small for a full featured PS3 game. nothing wrong with being a portable exclusive developer. my only complaint is that they deserve to make game for their own series (syphon filter), or make a new ip and not resistance or uncharted. also, after resistance psp, apparently the pitched resistance retribution 2 to Sony and Sony said no. I'm not sure if that's a sign that Bend themselves don't have a plan to make their own ip. it seems with Sony, developer have freedom to pitched what game they want to make and it's up to Sony to greenlight projects or make suggestions etc. it gives me the impression that Bend themselves don't have the iniative to pitch a new ip to Sony.

Globox_82

Banned

Sony has never in their history acquired a developer that cost 100 of millions of dollars, let alone billions, what they would have to pay for EPIC. When MS was interested in EPIC, and rumor was going around that they are going to pay 1 BILLION for it, Mark Rain said "We are not that cheap". And it wouldn't make sense for Sony to acquire them when their install base is on 360.

Insomniac is not interested in selling, Ted Price said it millions of times.

Sony like to invest in smaller devs, have them grow and prove them selves, and then acquire them.

I assure you, next developer that Sony buys is already on that list. Probably Quantic Dream, Ready at Dawn. Something like that seems more Sony like.

Combichristoffersen

Insomniac didn't want to be bought, and Epic would be far too big for Sony to buy.

Isn't circle strafing just left/right + keeping aim on a certain location?

Circle strafing is to literally keep moving in a circle around your enemy while firing at it. Due to the movement speed of the enemies in the demo + the way the level was laid out, circle strafing would be very hard, I guess.

Insomniac didn't want to be bought.

I'm sure they would sing a different tune when some publisher puts the right price on a piece of paper in front of Ted Price, eventually they would want to cash in, it's only a matter of time, presumably you would want to sell when things are going really well and the publisher really wants to make the working relationship a permanent one, or you would want to sell when you're running into cashflow problems and you need a publisher to bail you out.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
if I where sony or any of big 3 I would have bought nvidia instead of game developers. how big is nvidia? I was thinking if any of big 3 buy nvidia they are in a win win situation, nvidia is profitable and GPU for their console will be free

Combichristoffersen

I'm sure they would sing a different tune when some publisher puts the right price on a piece of paper in front of Ted Price, eventually they would want to cash in, it's only a matter of time, presumably you would want to sell when things are going really well and the publisher really wants to make the working relationship a permanent one, or you would want to sell when you're running into cashflow problems and you need a publisher to bail you out.

They didn't want to sell when they were doing fine while being in cahoots with Sony, so we'll have to see how their multiplat IP fares. That said, if they were to be sold, I'd imagine they'd be bought up by a multiplat publisher rather than as a Sony first party developer.

how big is nvidia? I was thinking if any of big 3 buy nvidia they are in a win win situation, nvidia is profitable and GPU for their console will be free

Nvidia would probably cost more than Epic, so no chance of Sony buying them, and I doubt Nintendo or MS would buy theim either,

If I were Sony I would push to acquire both Epic and Insomniac.

Well, since Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by rushing to be the first out of the gate with 360, and its high failure rate will ensure it sees less customers next gen, after Sony once again retakes America(s) Insomniac and even someone as huge as Epic won't be out of their reach. The Vita should reveal Sony's new strategy or what is actually a return to its former self, the ingredients and signs are there.

Top Bottom