• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios have expanded a lot since last gen

StuBurns

Banned
UC3? Not in US, Japan or Europe. Gears did 2+million just in the US debut (vs. 700k for UC3 in US)

Reach was at like 5 million back in 2010, GT5 was at 7 million in September 2011...so both should be around 8 million.

Wiki says UC3 did 3.8 at launch, Gears 3 more than 3?

EDIT: It says 'shipped', my mistake. Meaningless fud on wiki of all places.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
A JRPG that could sell 500k with each entry in Japan would be a much bigger asset to Sony than KZ or Resistance.

Would have to be for the PSP or Vita then, since the PS3 isn't doing as hot in Japan as it is in the West. I guess they could make a JRPG and release it for Vita in Japan, and do a PS3 port for the West. But they'd rather spend the money on another game about shooting space nazis or aliens in the face.

fernoca

Wiki says UC3 did 3.8 at launch, Gears 3 more than 3?
Sony announced that Uncharted 3 shipped 3.8 million at launch (November 1).
The game did over 700k in the US in the full month, 200K in Japan in 2 weeks. Adding Europe it was probably around 1.5 million (of the 3.8 million shipped back then). Should be close to that now. Gears did over 2 million in the US, then was still in the Top 10 the following month.
Though looking around now, seems UC3 did outsold it on Japan (200k vs 80k or so).

EDIT:
Yeah, shipped.
Should be noted that I remember even Fable III outselling Uncharted 2 back then (at least at first); so Fable is another one for Microsoft (don't know if they ever achieved their 5 million copies goal...probably since the game was bundled).

It's no doubt out of the big three that Sony has invested the most in creating new IP's and acquiring new studios. I guess that's why i'm more harsh towards Nintendo seeing as how they have been so profitable over the years yet i don't see that same type of commitment in creating new games and expanding their portfolio. Maybe i'm wrong. As for Microsoft it is understandable why they haven't taken the same approach as Sony since they lost a ton of money on the original Xbox. They have however been very aggressive with 3rd party developers.

So you have one company who's relied on 1st party studios (Nintendo). Then you have Sony who seems to have a great list of games and IP's they own the rights to, and last you have Microsoft who relies the most on 3rd party support. All three have been very competitive this generation, unlike the last one. Which means Sony managed to screw up the most but they also look to be in the best spot for the next generation if they can learn from previous mistakes.

Would have to be for the PSP or Vita then, since the PS3 isn't doing as hot in Japan as it is in the West. I guess they could make a JRPG and release it for Vita in Japan, and do a PS3 port for the West. But they'd rather spend the money on another game about shooting space nazis or aliens in the face.

It's doing well enough to have a game that could put up those numbers. Tales of Xillia was the third best selling game in the series (only trailing the two Destiny titles). The first WKS actually sold pretty damn well in Japan, but the quality wasn't there so the sales weren't very good for the sequel. But Sony is so obsessed with the Western market right now that they're willing to keep FPS series that really don't do much for them over something that would actually benefit them.

I can't understand why people want more Mario or Halo, but they do. Same as anything else.

They make good games that I want to play, so I'm happy. People get too carried away with the sales age stuff, but meh. I really wish they would bring back Colony Wars though. HD space battles would be the stuff.

Mega-sellers help pay the bills.

It's no doubt out of the big three that Sony has invested the most in creating new IP's and acquiring new studios. I guess that's why i'm more harsh towards Nintendo seeing as how they have been so profitable over the years yet i don't see that same type of commitment in creating new games and expanding their portfolio. Maybe i'm wrong. As for Microsoft it is understandable why they haven't taken the same approach as Sony since they lost a ton of money on the original Xbox. They have however been very aggressive with 3rd party developers.

So you have one company who's relied on 1st party studios (Nintendo). Then you have Sony who seems to have a great list of games and IP's they own the rights to, and last you have Microsoft who relies the most on 3rd party support. All three have been very competitive this generation, unlike the last one. Which means Sony managed to screw up the most but they also look to be in the best spot for the next generation if they can learn from previous mistakes.

It's a risk that you take when you rely too much on 3rd party publishers, Sony did that last generation when the PS2 had an overwhelming edge in consoles sold, you can really only do that when you have an early advantage in userbase and you have some money to throw around to co-market games.

It's kind of a shame that Insomniac games has decided not to maintain the same friendly relationship with Sony anymore.

They have barely released anything for the PS3 this gen, and their FW updates are consistently useless. SCEJ fucking sucks, shut the thing down and let SCEA or SCEE handle Polyphony and whatever is left of Team Ico.

The Firmware updates are more of an indictment of the XMB OS than anything else. It wasn't developed to have major features added on and that's why the big features people want will never happen. If you're going to judge their operating system team, judge them on the Vita's OS, which by all accounts is fantastic.

As for the lack of PS3 games, where the hell do you think they'd come from? Trees? SCEJ doesn't control the budget, SCE do. As I said before (and you subsequently ignored), SCE obviously has a strategy to invest most of their budget in western development rather than eastern. So if you want to blame anyone, blame Kaz Hirai.

I also find it funny that you only mention the PS3 when SCEJ put out a number of PSP games as well. But hey, let's just ignore that because it doesn't prove your point. And let's also not point out how poorly SCEA and SCEE supported the PSP.

StuBurns

Banned
I think it's unfair to say SCEE/A didn't support the PSP well. Socom, Twisted Metal, Wipeout, Daxter, Killzone, Syphon Filter, R&C, GoW, J&D, LBP, Motorstorm etc.

They supported it every bit as well as SECJ.

Duffyside

Banned
I think it's unfair to say SCEE/A didn't support the PSP well. Socom, Twisted Metal, Wipeout, Daxter, Killzone, Syphon Filter, R&C, GoW, J&D, LBP, Motorstorm etc.

They supported it every bit as well as SECJ.

They made lots of games, yeah. But they took franchises that were made for a console experience and then shoveled them onto their portable experience. It was pretty lazy, in my opinion.

Sony's first party games are a big reason I'm getting back on the Sony bandwagon this generation and why I'll follow them to the next. In my opinion, MS had a lot of potential going into this console gen, but have since squandered their game development resources a bit.

StuBurns

Banned
They made lots of games, yeah. But they took franchises that were made for a console experience and then shoveled them onto their portable experience. It was pretty lazy, in my opinion.
I disagree with the sentiment of that really. It's true there are 'new IPs' from SCEJ on PSP, LocoRoco, Patapon, Echochrome, but they could all work very easily on PS3 (the last one does). And they still did 'console' games on PSP, GT, Hot Shots. They just don't have many meaningful IPs to put on PSP like the Western studios do, if they did, I believe they would have.

If I had to guess what some studios are doing

Naughty Dog Team 2 - Uncharted 4 for PS4
Evolutions Studios - Launch racing game for PS4
Santa Monica - GoW4 for PS3
Novarama - Invizimals Vita
Bend - Uncharted Vita 2 or Syphon Filter Vita
Media Molecule - cross platform Vita/PS3 IP
Sucker Punch - new IP for PS4
Guerilla Games - Vita/PS3 cross platform game (new IP)
Guerilla Games Team 2 - Killzone 4 for PS4
Superbot - Sony Smash Bros for PS3

thought naughty dog said they want to do new IP with new system.
like Jak for PS2, Uncharted for PS3...

Duffyside

Banned
I disagree with the sentiment of that really. It's true there are 'new IPs' from SCEJ on PSP, LocoRoco, Patapon, Echochrome, but they could all work very easily on PS3 (the last one does). And they still did 'console' games on PSP, GT, Hot Shots. They just don't have many meaningful IPs to put on PSP like the Western studios do, if they did, I believe they would have.

Well of course they could work on a PS3 - there was no unique interaction of the PSP. But that's not all there is to a mobile experience. Hell, there what iOS games won't work on consoles? All you need for Jetpack Joyride is one button.

Mobile experiences are more about time. Being able to start playing quickly, and to play something in a short amount of time. It's why LittleBigPlanet Vita is perhaps the most exciting game to me for Vita. User-created experiences that I can play in a minute or two is exactly what I'm looking for in a mobile platform. I don't want to feel "shackled" to my system for long periods of time.

SykoTech

They really need to build up their Japanese lineup, particularly on consoles. Well, looking at the Vita, on handhelds too. Especially since the competition seems to have gotten a lot more aggressive with 3rd party support.

Impressive stuff otherwise.

Mega-sellers help pay the bills.

It's a risk that you take when you rely too much on 3rd party publishers, Sony did that last generation when the PS2 had an overwhelming edge in consoles sold, you can really only do that when you have an early advantage in userbase and you have some money to throw around to co-market games.

It's kind of a shame that Insomniac games has decided not to maintain the same friendly relationship with Sony anymore.

The reason why we don't see it as much now is because of the cost factor of making games compared to previous generations, and secondly it doesn't make much sense when there is an even split among potential buyers. The PS3 doesn't lead in sales like the PS2 did so from a business point of view it doesn't make much sense for them to be exclusive.

As for Insomniac I understand their decision, they too see the potential of buyers limits them by staying with one company. Resistance 3 was a great game yet didn't have great sales. They are still making PS3 games so I'm not sure why it matters about their relationship.

Well of course they could work on a PS3 - there was no unique interaction of the PSP. But that's not all there is to a mobile experience. Hell, there what iOS games won't work on consoles? All you need for Jetpack Joyride is one button.

Mobile experiences are more about time. Being able to start playing quickly, and to play something in a short amount of time. It's why LittleBigPlanet Vita is perhaps the most exciting game to me for Vita. User-created experiences that I can play in a minute or two is exactly what I'm looking for in a mobile platform. I don't want to feel "shackled" to my system for long periods of time.

The makers of MAG (Zipper Interactive?) also see the differences between the two platforms. Their new game will be more bite sized catering to what you described. Sony knows the downsides of the PSP and trying to recreate the console experience on the go. Hopefully they learned and don't try and market Vita as a portable PS3.

Duffyside

Banned
thought naughty dog said they want to do new IP with new system.
like Jak for PS2, Uncharted for PS3...

They did. But Uncharted is the biggest IP they've had yet, ND is owned by Sony, and there's a movie trying to be made. They (both Sony and ND) want Uncharted to be a huge franchise. I agree that there is no way Naughty Dog Team 1 is not making Uncharted 4 for Playstation 4.

They could always use The Last of Us team to create something new for Playstation 4, depending on the new game's success.

So LBP PSP is lazy. LBP PSV is exciting. Sorted.

Sick burn, brah. That one game totally means that SOCOM, Jak, Ratchet, Killzone, Resistance, God of War, etc were not lazy. You totally got me.

Racing games also inherently work for portable platforms. That doesn't then justify "well then, if Motorstorm works, therefore God of War must too, right? They're both franchises."

They did. But Uncharted is the biggest IP they've had yet, ND is owned by Sony, and there's a movie trying to be made. They (both Sony and ND) want Uncharted to be a huge franchise. I agree that there is no way Naughty Dog Team 1 is making Uncharted 4 for Playstation 4.

They could always use The Last of Us team to create something new for Playstation 4, depending on the new game's success.

I want a full blown Jak 4. :)

StuBurns

Banned
Sick burn, brah. That one game totally means that SOCOM, Jak, Ratchet, Killzone, Resistance, God of War, etc were not lazy. You totally got me.

Racing games also inherently work for portable platforms. That doesn't then justify "well then, if Motorstorm works, therefore God of War must too, right? They're both franchises."
In what way is stopping at the frequent saves points in GoW different to playing single levels in LBP?

If someone can do a list similar for Microsoft and Nintendo, I will add to the OP.

Attempting Nintendo:

Internal Software R&D
Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development (5 teams)
Nintendo EAD Tokyo (2 teams)
Nintendo Software Planning and Development (4 teams)
Nintendo Software Design and Development
Nintendo Network Service Development
Nintendo Software Technology Corp (2+ teams)

1st Party Studios
Intelligent Systems (3 teams)
HAL Laboratory (2+ teams)
Retro Studios (2 teams)
Monolith Soft (2 teams)
NdCube
Brownie Brown
Project Sora
Genius Sonority (minority stake)

3rd Party Partners (developed at least one 1st party title in the past 2 years or handles long running series)
Alphadream (Mario & Luigi series)
Ambrella (Pokemon spinoffs)
AQ Interactive (Flingsmash, The Last Story)
Arika (3D Classics line, Metal Torrent, Endless Ocean series)
Arzest (Wii Play Motion)
Asobism (FreakyForms)
Camelot Software Planning (Mario Golf/Tennis series, Golden Sun series)
Chunsoft (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series, Wii Play Motion)
Creatures Inc. (Pokemon series and spinoffs)
Curve Studios (Fluidity)
D4 Enterprise (Snapdots)
Eighting (Master of Illusion series)
Game Freak (Pokemon series)
Ganbarion (Pandora's Tower)
Good Feel (Kirby's Epic Yarn, Looksley's Lineup, Wii Play Motion)
Grezzo (Line Attack Heroes, Ocarina of Time 3D, Four Swords AE)
Headstrong Games (Battalion Wars series, Art Academy)
indies-zero (Cooking Guide series, electroplankton series)
Jupiter (Picross series, Personal Trainer series)
Keynet (Thruspace series)
Koei (Pokemon X Nobunaga)
M2 (Fossil Fighters series)
Mindware (Flametail)
Mistwalker (The Last Story)
Mitchell Corp (Polarium series, Wii Play Motion)
Monster Games (Excite series, Pilotwings Resort)
MuuMuu (Saru Band)
Next Level Games (Mario Strikers series, Luigi's Mansion 2)
Paon (Aquaspace, Donkey Kong spinoffs)
ParityBit (Calciobit)
Poisoft (Sakura Samurai)
Prope (Wii Play Motion)
Q-Games (Trajectile, Starship Defense, X-Scape, Star Fox 64 3D)
Red Entertainment (Fossil Fighters series)
Sandlot (Zangeki no Reginliev)
Sega Sports Design R&D (Mario & Sonic Olympics series)
Shift (And Kensaku)
Skip (Art Style series, Chibirobo series, Snowpack Park, Wii Play Motion)
Square Enix Osaka (Mario Sports Mix)
SynSophia (Style Savvy series)
Team Ninja (Metroid Other M)
Tecmo (Spirit Camera)
Treasure (Sin & Punishment Star Successor)
Tose Software (Starfi series)
Vanpool (Tingle series, Wii Play Motion)
Vitei (Steel Diver)

edit: Since the OP included 3rd party owned IPs like PixelJunk and Quantic Dream's games, I decided to add a similar list for Nintendo.

3rd Party Publishing Partners
Activision (Goldeneye 007)
Big Fish Games (Mystery Case Files series)
Capcom (Ghost Trick, Monster Hunter Tri, SSF4 3D Edition, Resident Evil Mercenaries/Revelations)
Disney (Epic Mickey)
Hudson Soft (Tetris Party Deluxe, Rooms, Tetris Axis)
Level 5 (Professor Layton series, Inazuma Eleven series)
Namco Bandai (Solatorobo)
Omiya Soft (Culdcept 3DS)
Paon (Glory of Heracles)
Square Enix (Dragon Quest series, Fortune Street)
Tecmo Koei (Fatal Frame series, Samurai Warriors 3)
Ubisoft (Just Dance Wii)
Warner Bros. (Lego City Stories)

RedSwirl

Sony pretty much had to expand first party after all that third party exclusive support they lost since last gen.

The reason why we don't see it as much now is because of the cost factor of making games compared to previous generations, and secondly it doesn't make much sense when there is an even split among potential buyers. The PS3 doesn't lead in sales like the PS2 did so from a business point of view it doesn't make much sense for them to be exclusive.

As for Insomniac I understand their decision, they too see the potential of buyers limits them by staying with one company. Resistance 3 was a great game yet didn't have great sales. They are still making PS3 games so I'm not sure why it matters about their relationship.

Unless there's a clear winner in terms of userbase early on, third-party support will be much more even next generation.

Resistance 3 didn't have great sales because Resistance 2 turned a ton of people off the franchise and the R3 MP beta was buggy, and Insomniac Games is ultimately responsible. Multiplatform game development is always going to be attractive when you have games like COD making a shit ton of money with massive amount of marketing behind them, the question is whether Insomniac Games will find the same kind of success with EA, and my guess is they won't, dudebro is what sells these days and that's just not Insomniac Games' specialty. There's not another Sony-funded Insomniac Games announced yet.

I want a full blown Jak 4. :)

I need to finish Jak psp. that is canon to the storyline and I want to see where the story go after Jak 3. I started it for a few hours but got distracted by other games. if I'm not mistaken, the premise is about depleted eco power source which led them to the lost frontier hoping to find more eco. I like the premise enough, always want to finish it someday.

tbh, when I beat Jak3, I always hope Jak 4 will start a whole new adventure with Jak going to space with the precursors. it means new planets and environment, they could go back to lush jungles again like Jak 1 if they wanted.

GeoramA

Sony pretty much had to expand first party after all that third party exclusive support they lost since last gen.
What third-party support did they lose? If anything, they gained a lot third-party support since the PS2 days.

Companies like BioWare, Starbreeze, Team Ninja, Bethesda, and Obsidian didn't put jack squat on the PS2.

at least Sony realize early on that they can't rely on third party exclusives this gen and start expanding very early on. otherwise, we'll probably have to wait until 2nd or 3rd year before they even start looking for developers.

What third-party support did they lose? If anything, they gained a lot third-party support since the PS2 days.

Companies like BioWare, Starbreeze, Team Ninja, Bethesda, and Obsidian didn't put jack squat on the PS2.
The only major complete loss is probably Dragon Quest. Monster Hunter too sorta.

What Sony did lose is the near complete exclusivity they had over most stuff on PS1 and PS2.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Looking at all those studios it makes me sad the only exclusive ps3 games I've enjoyed this generation were the uncharted series, wipeout, the first Valkiyria chronicles (Sega I think), and resistance 2.

I LOVED joe danger but that's multiplat now

I have no problem with spinoffs on handheld systems, my problem is when the entire strategy is spinoffs.

Yes, SCEJ released spinoffs to their console series but they also released new games that you couldn't get anywhere else. Sure they could've worked on the PS3 as well but so what? The key point is that they weren't available on the PS3. They were unique to the PSP and made it stand out.

SCEA and SCEE, on the other hand, released nothing but spinoffs (well, to be fair, SCEE did release Invizimals, so at least they tried a little). They seemed to assume people would automatically follow their franchises, regardless of who developed them (often a second string developer), how poorly they controlled or whether there was a genuine sequel available on the PS3. It made the PSP look like a second string system and that's not exactly the impression anyone interested in actually making money should go for.

Polk

Microsoft works similarly to SONY, but more honestly. They aren't obsessed with the Microsoft name and are comfortable in creating first-party publishing contracts or owning / investing into studios with separate identities. RARE. 343i. Bungie (formerly). Etc.

Well Microsoft's strategy is more like: keep 3rd parties happy by not competing with them and step in only when you need specific game/genre.

Top Bottom