• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's project Q to be less than $300? Microsoft thinks so

Imtjnotu

"Microsoft claims that Sony’s upcoming handheld, codenamed Project Q, will cost less than $300. This was revealed in a filing presented to FTC"

Anything over $200 for this thing would be dead in the water. If you can't use it to play games where there is no wifi or it doesn't have an OLED screen, I can see the price being less than that.

KellyNole

"Microsoft claims that Sony’s upcoming handheld, codenamed Project Q, will cost less than $300. This was revealed in a filing presented to FTC"

Anything over $200 for this thing would be dead in the water. If you can't use it to play games where there is no wifi or it doesn't have an OLED screen, I can see the price being less than that.

I'd say anything over $150 it will have issues. You can pretty much use anything to stream the PS5.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I mean, it's a remote play device that does no native game processing.

anything above $150 is overkill as far as I'm concerned.

Not to mention you can already do remote play on android / iOS devices.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Should be $100 max for something that is just a streaming device.

The only thing I can see it being above $100 is that it comes with a (fairly expensive) Dualsense built in.

Have they said if the screen will be LCD or OLED ?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Id say a fair price would be $100;

its just basically a controller with a screen that works over local wifi.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Is Microsoft trying to guess Project Q price in an attempt to justify "anything else" they are currently doing?

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

yurinka

$299 -or more- sounds as a good guess. My bet is $349.

It's basically a DualSense + 8" tablet / smartphone. It's not only the display: it needs CPU, memory, wifi, etc.

People who thinks this can cost less than $200 doesn't know what they are talking about. $300 already sounds optimistic to me.

Consider that Sony will sell it at a profit, because there won't be games made for it. It isn't like a console where you can sell it at a loss and compensate it with the profits from the games.

Have they said if the screen will be LCD or OLED ?
In the press release they mentioned it's LCD. It alredy will be too expensive with a LCD for most people, so with OLED would be far too expensive.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You’re crazy. It’s a dual sense and an Oled screen, which must have a processor inside. 100$? For free while you’re at it.

LCD, not OLED.

We know that the 8-inch display with be an LCD panel, not OLED, but also that it'll have 1080p resolution at 60Hz, which is a great match for the console games it'll be playing.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Crazy some of you saying $100.
DS alone is $70+
We expect the screen and inner components to be $20?
The DS is sold for $70, on which Sony is probably taking a huge markup from BoM + assembly (at some point they're sold for $50 and I bet their profit is still %50 or so)

If Sony wants Q to ever become a mass market device, they'll need to take a proportionately smaller mark-up from it than they do with the DualSense.

Wooxsvan

I quite like remote play. Been doing it on steam deck and ipad pro. Quite nice. What's the problem?
too much lag at times and pixelated image. I recently tried Sekiro via this method and the timings on parrys just dont work for me. i know i can ethernet my remote device (the ps5 is already using ethernet) but i dont see the point in having a remote device that has to be plugged in

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Imagine paying $250 because you don't like taking the case off your phone.
Issue is. Heavy gaming on the phone, even streaming, is a lithium ion overall life state killer.

Not good for a multi-use device that is running so many background functions with WIFI, BT, cellular, etc..

But if you trade your phone in yearly or every two years, that may not be a bother.

Cyberpunkd

Issue is. Heavy gaming on the phone, even streaming, is a lithium ion overall life state killer.

Not good for a multi-use device that is running so many background functions with WIFI, BT, cellular, etc..

But if you trade your phone in yearly or every two years, that may not be a bother.
You already need to charge your phone everyday, the situation you describe doesn’t exist. Your battery will be fine no matter what.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You already need to charge your phone everyday, the situation you describe doesn’t exist. Your battery will be fine no matter what.
Heavy gaming cooks those batteries compared to normal use, more so plugged in. Hell, even installing apps heats it up.

But with how often people upgrade devices, you are probably right.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
if its over $100 its going to be shady as I fear a lot of people think this is a STREAM FROM HOME device instread of a STREAM AT HOME

Such a bold statement from Microsoft. How could Sony afford to sell an 8in HD LCD screen for anything less than $300? They must have engineering wizards.

Rambone

So basically Sony's version of the Logitech Cloud G which retails for $299, although I'm doubting Sony will include much more than remote play functionality for PS5.

Kdad

Apple sells computer wheels and stands for how much?
Google and Apple and Garmin sell watch straps for how much?
This with be 249 or 199 at a push.

Fabieter

That's still too expensive. There is no way for this to happen but it would have to be 99 for me to consider this.

Top Bottom