• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Project Q battery life will last 3-4 hours

ToadMan

Me? Between me and the kids it would get loads of use, whether that's because the TV is in use, or playing PS5 in bed, or in the garden etc. A streaming device like this could be cheap also (compared to Steam deck or even Switch)

Yeah this seems like an obvious use case - people with families. Especially if you don’t want to hand over a device which has unlimited access to the internet like a tablet or phone - or bother configuring such devices for the protection of content from youngsters.

If it’s cheap enough this use case might shift a few units but it still seems too little to justify it.

coffinbirth

From my experience, it's not the 3-4 hours that's necessarily the problem. It's the playing for an hour, turning it off and coming back several days later and it's either dead or the battery is so low you have to charge it just to be able to play. If you have a device that can do 10 hours you're not going to have as big of an issue.
If the battery is anything like the Vita's, this will not be a concern. I've had one bedside for MONTHS without a charge, in standby mode, and the battery is still at 50%. If it's a cheapo DualSense battery, you will have a valid annoyance on/in your hands.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Careful. I got attacked for saying that the battery life of the dualsense edge was just fine at 4 hours.

That's a little different I would say, your more likely to sit in front of a TV for many hours vs grabbing a portable for an hour or 2 when the TV is being used. Or just before bed.

Topher

Gold Member

Ryan Gosling Reaction GIF

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Well, there's the dualsense, the 8" screen, and the constant wifi streaming.

It's understandable.

How long does a phone/tablet last when gaming nonstop for hours? Also streaming?

TLZ

Banned
my tablet can stream video for like 12h a charge
Gaming should be different no? Plus the controllers sucking a lot of juice out of it. And the device constantly talking to/decoding PS5 games to stream. And we don't know how lagfree it'd be. Maybe that plays a part. And how bright/dim the screen is. A lot of things at play here.

And of course the battery. We don't know how big this one is.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

They should bundle this with Persona 6 when it comes out.

I used remote play a lot with my Vita too grind Personas. Very handy indeed, for anyone that has multiple consoles and kids. It's not the handheld I wanted, it's not even a handheld, it's an extension of the PS5. I'm curious to try it. But an OLED would make all the difference.

The question is, will this device sell more than PSV2? - I think the answer might surprise you.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
We have super efficient EV vehicles and we still have shit battery lives on gaming devices? Lol what a time to be alive!

Last edited:
Looking at how thin it is, it can't have that big a battery. Plus it has to power the DS and all it's functionality. 3-4 is enough for me. I never game that long anyway. Just price it right and allow direct connectivity.

Boy bawang

If this thing natively ran PS1 and PS2 games, it would have a small chance at pulling decent numbers.
But as it is, it's dead on arrival.

LakeOf9

That sounds pretty bad doesnt it? Steam Deck and Switch both last longer, and they are actual self contained systems

Robb

Gold Member
How can it be so poor? It’s not running anything natively, right - just streaming?

Feel like it should be double the Switch/Steam deck at least, not worse.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This device just continues to make less and less sense.

If it integrates with PS+ Premium and allows for Cloud gaming, however, then it's awesome as it can be a foundation for the future in case Cloud gaming takes off. It'd also give them an opening in the Japanese handheld market with a dedicated cloud gaming device.

In it current remote-play-only form, this is just stupid.

Gotta agree with you pal. I was trying to give Sony the benefit of the doubt and figure out what I'm missing. But it's a useless product without Sony's version of Xcloud.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't see a problem with it if its like $129.99.

If it's close to or over $200, then it better have streaming support on Cloud.

Hoppa

I know they’re not the same but how long do these Steamdecks/ROG etc devices last? I’ve got zero interest in this but I can’t imagine playing these without it constantly needing to be plugged in ?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I know they’re not the same but how long do these Steamdecks/ROG etc devices last? I’ve got zero interest in this but I can’t imagine playing these without it constantly needing to be plugged in ?
Remote play from PS5 to Deck using Chiaki(1080p/60fps, h.265, 75% brightness) gets about 4-5hrs. of battery life.

Local play it just depends on the game and the settings you use. I had to get new tires and an alignment on my car last week and I brought my deck and played Spider-Man at 30fps, low settings, FSR2 Quality, 10W TDP, at ~90% brightness(near big windows) for 1h50m and still had an estimated 15min battery life left.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Yeah this seems like an obvious use case - people with families. Especially if you don’t want to hand over a device which has unlimited access to the internet like a tablet or phone - or bother configuring such devices for the protection of content from youngsters.

If it’s cheap enough this use case might shift a few units but it still seems too little to justify it.
It would be better if it allows you to play splitscreen/local co-op games with your friend/kid.

Zuzu

I don't think it's that bad of a device if it's priced well. You get a larger screen than a phone with full dualsense functionality and it's more convenient than using an accessory with your phone (and perhaps more ergonomic?). It's more pick up and play than having to get your phone and attach it to a backbone like device. I could imagine keeping it in my bedroom most of the time and because it's a fully integrated device it'd be ready all the time without me having to get my phone and attach it to a backbone.

It needs to be $200USD or under but I wouldn't be surprised if it's $250 or even $300. At higher than $200 I don't think it's gonna do well. Might not even do well at $200.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I don't think it's that bad of a device if it's priced well. You get a larger screen than a phone with full dualsense functionality and it's more convenient than using an accessory with your phone. It's more pick up and play than having to get your phone and attach it to a backbone like device. I could imagine keeping it in my bedroom most of the time and because it's a fully integrated device it'd be ready all the time without me having to get my phone and attach it to a backbone.

It needs to be $200USD or under but I wouldn't be surprised if it's $250 or even $300. At higher than $200 I don't think it's gonna do well. Might not even do well at $200.
Yeah, that’s a good use. I think people forget vast majority of Switch owners use it exclusively at home in portable mode. Sony probably saw that and thought: “Huh, so people can play PS5 this way as well”.

Sweet spot would be 200-249€, but it will probably be 299€.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So 1/2 to 1/3 the battery life of Nintendo Switch and only remote play huh.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Not too bad, because you are at home anyways with this thing and can plug it in whenever you want.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
4 hours in one sitting of playing games on a 8" screen isn't enough?

Exactly how long do gamers nowadays need of battery life to play games on a single sitting without having to eat or drink or pee or shit?

Do people know this is a device that has to be used at a home with a PS5, and that homes usually have power outlets in all divisions?

Banjo64

cumsessed
4 hours in one sitting of playing games on a 8" screen isn't enough?

Exactly how long do gamers nowadays need of battery life to play games on a single sitting without having to eat or drink or pee or shit?
Well some people play for longer than 4 hours and even if they don’t, it’s nice not to have to put it on charge at the end of each session.

Do people know this is a device that has to be used at a home with a PS5
No it doesn’t. You can use remote play anywhere that has wi-fi access, including tethering it to your phone.

and that homes usually have power outlets in all divisions?
Removes the main selling point of portability.

Tams

This device just continues to make less and less sense.

If it integrates with PS+ Premium and allows for Cloud gaming, however, then it's awesome as it can be a foundation for the future in case Cloud gaming takes off. It'd also give them an opening in the Japanese handheld market with a dedicated cloud gaming device.

In it current remote-play-only form, this is just stupid.

Last time I tried streaming a game in Japan on a mobile network (using 4G), it was shit. Rayman Legends ran, but they was nasty artefacting.

And that was on au as an au customer, not shunted onto the end of the queue as MVNOb users are.

Mr.Phoenix

1. Why does anyone believe this?
2. Why do people keep thinking that this device will only work at home over your local network, when remote play right now can work from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection?
3. I am noticing this weird thing where it seems people just want this to fail. I don't get it... how does a completely optional accessory affect them? How is this any different than buying a dual sense edge because you want back buttons?

Top Bottom