• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's project Q to be less than $300? Microsoft thinks so

Hero_Select

No shit it'll be under 300. It's just a controller with a screen on it that requires wifi to run.

Man.. what a lazy product

I'd be surprised if it was even that expensive. It's just a screen and two halves of a dual sense. I would think it needs to be priced much more competitively to survive. I don't have any interest in it because it's not a platform. If it were.. I probably would be.

Hudo

It's a fucking dual sense with a screen and wifi capabilities. That shits shouldn't be more than $99. But Sony will push it to $150.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Bargain for a cheapo LCD screen slapped on a cheapo Chinese manufactured controller using standard wifi.

Why spend the extra £20-30 for a Switch OLED or Steam Deck.

/s

Banjo64

cumsessed
If Sony was still supporting the VITA .... like it god damned should be...what technical barrier would there be to using it like the Q is supposedly going to be used
The shit wifi card that made PS4 remote play an artefact ridden mess.

Gudji

I still don't get why sony made this device. Wouldn't it be easier to release a controller accessory to hold a phone? More people would probably buy it too.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
We expect the screen and inner components to be $20?
In actual costs - yes (actually less than 20$ given it's just an LCD).

To the consumer - most likely no - the controller buying crowds are far too price flexible to NOT exploit them (and everyone does, let's not pretend there are good-guy companies here that don't). I mean even the premium controllers are selling in large numbers and that's literally just a bunch of nicer buttons for 3-4x the price of normal controllers.

Personally I think this would sound reasonable at 129-149 - which coincidentally is more or less the same price that the other accessory of this exact design used to cost 10 years ago.
Now granted - precedent didn't stop companies from overcharging before - but utility, marketing and tech wise, there's nothing here that dictates a higher price unless there's secret hidden reveals yet to come.

Last edited:

AGRacing

This is a 199.99 device max. But I believe Sony could try 299.99 because their heads are about that far up their own asses in 2023.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I still don't get why sony made this device. Wouldn't it be easier to release a controller accessory to hold a phone? More people would probably buy it too.
Streaming to phones (or really - any other external computers) is still universally a pretty shit experience. If that's all that this is - it'll be a shit product even if it's sold for 50$.
If it's actually optimized for streaming though - then it'll destroy any of such accessories, even for a relatively high price.

LRKD

I couldn't even imagine paying $100 for that, such a stupid gimmick peripheral. You can already buy a controller for your phone to do the exact same thing for far cheaper. Hot take but, the only way I could ever imagine wanting a device like this is if it was even more gimmicky and was a second screen like the wii u gamepad, the second screen was touch screen and displayed different info from the tv screen.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It'll probably be 250.

300 if they actually throw any sort of mobile gaming processor in there if they plan on having it play Android games.

If Sony was still supporting the VITA .... like it god damned should be...what technical barrier would there be to using it like the Q is supposedly going to be used
The old Vita wifi chip doesn't have the necessary bandwidth to stream anything at a playable rate. They would've had to do a model refresh at some point to upgrade that chip.

MarkMe2525

I really feel like this needs to get to the $249 range if Sony really wants to make this a thing. Cheap android tablet SoC with decent screen and controller parts; it's BoM cannot be over $99 (maybe a smidge more).

Last edited:
too much lag at times and pixelated image. I recently tried Sekiro via this method and the timings on parrys just dont work for me. i know i can ethernet my remote device (the ps5 is already using ethernet) but i dont see the point in having a remote device that has to be plugged in
I used to have lag and pixelated image, but weirdly when I’m using it now it looks pretty amazing and has imperceptible lag. Not sure what I’ve changed.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It's criminal that the Vita wasn't successful. It was a wonderful product.
I agree. It didn't need to dominate but just enough to be moderate successful and force Nintendo to improve their handheld earlier than the Switch. The 3ds life extentions were embarrassing but with absolutely no threat, Nintendo could do it.

Banned
if project Q is more than 150€ it's a ripoff 😂
that thing is a fucking joke to begin with... especially if they aren't DRASTICALLY improving their remote play tech to be even remotely comparable with something like the Wii U gamepad.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It's already dogshit in your home network... so why would anyone use it over the Internet? :messenger_loudly_crying:

I use Remoteplay already for years that way. My home network is great and sure sometimes some image quality issues but other then that, it works good.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

"Microsoft claims that Sony’s upcoming handheld, codenamed Project Q, will cost less than $300. This was revealed in a filing presented to FTC"

Anything over $200 for this thing would be dead in the water. If you can't use it to play games where there is no wifi or it doesn't have an OLED screen, I can see the price being less than that.

I think Sony made this thing for fun. They had plenty of DualSenses sitting around and unused screens from other Sony branch like the old tablets they had and they said:"You know what? There is a brilliant idea!". And Project Q happened.

I sincerely think this is an open survey to see how many would complain and curse Sony and demand a true handheld to assess their next move and R&D for such a thing.

Last edited:

midnightAI

No shit it'll be under 300. It's just a controller with a screen on it that requires wifi to run.

Man.. what a lazy product

Man.. what a perfect product for people who want to be able to fully play the PS5 anywhere in their house on a large-ish screen with a proper PS5 controller

Ogbert

It will be 299.

They will use the adaptive triggers to try and justify the price.

Still buying one, but it’s going to be pretty niche.

Top Bottom