• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Super Secret Game to be Revealed at TGS

Trevelyan

Banned
Oneself said:
Or... a new Jet Moto, Jak, Twisted Metal, Ape Escape, Sly...
Pretty much the sole reason I bought my PS3. I still play TM:B daily. I'll cry come the day we see footage on TMPS3.

Back on topic, I expect the mystery game to be Team Ico. It's true we know about its existence, but.. that's all.

near

Gold Member
Aside from Team ICO's project, wtf are SCEJ up to? The only two games I can think of that they've done for PS3 is Siren Blood Curse and The Last Guy.

Issun23

Airkiru said:
Aside from Team ICO's project, wtf are SCEJ up to? The only two games I can think of that they've done for PS3 is Siren Blood Curse and The Last Guy.

Afrika? Eye of Judgement? Aquanaut's Holiday? Shikitei? Minna no Golf 5? Mainichi Issyo? Derby Time Online? Echochrome? LocoRoco Cocoreccho? Gran Turismo 5?

RiverBed

Banned
Issun23 said:
Afrika? Eye of Judgement? Aquanaut's Holiday? Shikitei? Minna no Golf 5? Mainichi Issyo? Derby Time Online? Echochrome? LocoRoco Cocoreccho? Gran Turismo 5?
only the bold are big projects, the rest are simple games that aren't a big deal. also, all the bold except for one have already been released. and that one to be released will have joke sales.
their Japanese arm isn't producing games. I don't know if that's how it's always been or not, but compared to their US and UK arms, it's a joke. sure they have a hit ....every few years or so.

Hunahan

Banned
SCEJ was never strong.

The element that is causing so much struggle for the PS3 is that the bulk of their famous and successful Japanese software was contributed by third parties - and right now, those same third parties are mingling with the broader spectrum of options.

When you really look at the bulk of SCEJ's previous offerings for PS1 and PS2, there isn't much to be excited about there either.

So far, SCEJ's PS3 showing is actually more prevalent than their previous support levels - it just feels like there are less games from Japan because of the aforementioned third party discrepancy.

I'm not trying to say that the current SCEJ contribution is good, just saying that when you really take a look at how things have gone from the beginning, it's certainly not a matter of SCEJ getting worse. It's more a matter of the third parties being stripped away to reveal this weakness more accurately.

androvsky

RiverBed said:
only the bold are big projects, the rest are simple games that aren't a big deal. also, all the bold except for one have already been released. and that one to be released will have joke sales.
their Japanese arm isn't producing games. I don't know if that's how it's always been or not, but compared to their US and UK arms, it's a joke. sure they have a hit ....every few years or so.

Gran Turismo 5 will have joke sales? Compared to what, Tetris?

WYWY

Whatever this 'super-secret' game is.., here's a run-down of the SCEJ and affiliated teams that have not announced anything yet (that I can think of)...

Team 'Ape Escape' - there was one ape escape RPG on PSP when? Early this year? Wasn't well received, but it should be time for a new project.

Team 'Ico' - called the 'olympic team'. But 4 years isn't up yet since SoTC's release. They can announce their new project, of course...

Team 'locoroco' - well they already announced the sequel. But at the end of the released trailer there's a few seconds of high-res "cocoreccho!" at the end. Maybe a hint to a sequel?

Media Vision - They are independent, but do develop Wild Arms published by Sony. X-Fire was released on the PSP last year ~July I think. Should be time for something new - but not necessary Sony, of course.

Game Republic - their games range between "meh" to "OK/good". Again they are independent, but do have a history of developing Sony-published games. Of course no one expects the "super-secret-awesome game" to come from them...

Oh yeah, 50% chance this will be another disappointmenton.

Issun23 said:
Most of those are second party.

Sony Japan is like Nintendo EAD in many ways (outside of the few specific teams like Team ICO and Team Siren, and not including Clap Hanz and Polyphony Digital). They generally have non-specific (or at least unknown to the general public) dev studios pumping out various games at any given time. Last gen they worked on things like Ape Escape (a LOT of Ape Escape, lol) and LocoRoco.

This gen we've seen almost nothing except for Team Siren's Siren: Blood Curse and some much smaller stuff like Echochrome. They have to be working on SOMETHING besides firmware.

Top Bottom