• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

SmokyDave

While this is cool, I would definitely use this sparingly. Turning your brand new 800 dollar phones internal temperature up to something roughly equaling the suns carona on a daily basis probably isn't good for the longevity of the phone.

I can't imagine it would be that much more intensive than watching a video. I've certainly never noticed RP disproportionately affecting my Vita battery life or temperature.

Freeman

Banned
How much does the mount cost?

This should be Sony solution for mobile going forward Dual Shock as a standard controller for smartphones and tablets, PS+ and remote play. They should also make PS1 games available if they aren't already.

Making this Xperia exclusive is shooting themselves in the foot, once again Sony is gimping one division to try to help another, this never works out.

DBT85

Remote Play and PS Now on a tablet with a DS4 paired over BT was something I've been calling on them to do since they announced PS Now.

Now just for TVs with PS Now as an app.

I'm cool with this happening, it was always going to. But if the vita doesn't get DS4 support too then they are big stupid douche heads :(

Qassim

While this is cool, I would definitely use this sparingly. Turning your brand new 800 dollar phones internal temperature up to something roughly equaling the suns carona on a daily basis probably isn't good for the longevity of the phone.

Why would stress the phone that much? It's just streaming video.

the mount is just plastic isn't it, no electronic or wiring inside it, the controller connect to the phone wireless. should be cheap or there will be 3rd party mount available too.

Oh my that's awesome! :D (Even if it robs the Vita a purpose :( ) Too bad that it's Xperia only but it's understandable. Hopefully someone reverse engineers it and ports it to iOS :p

Kysen

I get that they want to sell phones and tablets as well. but tying this to Sony branded hardware is a mistake especially in the US. iOS and full android support would sell more ps4s instead of trying to leverage their minuscule phone and tablet share.

DBT85

I'm interested in another tablet and wouldn't mind this new sony tablet with remote play.

Do I guys think:
1. Remote play will be any better than vita?
2. Better screen on tablet means better image quality? 1080p?
3. Can we get 60fps now or is this tied to the ps4 software?
4. Better connection since wifi chip in this tablet will probably be better than the one on vita?

I need to know these things. Lol

Might have slightly better performance only because the Z3 are more powerful. But it's only streaming video.

Image quality is dependant on the encode, which is currently only 720p30 on the PS4. No indication that'll change.

Also the Vita has dedicated controls and is about 3x more portable than the DS4 itself. ...plus not everyone is going to buy a specific phone considerably more expensive than the Vita.

Nothing better than a DS4 for PS4 games. The Vita's dedicated controls aren't a good substitute. People will buy the phone because it works as a phone. This is just a benefit.

I get that they want to sell phones and tablets as well. but tying this to Sony branded hardware is a mistake especially in the US. iOS and full android support would sell more ps4s instead of trying to leverage their minuscule phone and tablet share.

they're already selling PS4 well enough, it's the Xperia that need lifting up.

crinale

Vita TV support DS4, normal Vita can't and had to use the Vita controller.

I thought someone has found a backdoor type technique to actually connect DS4 to Vita for remote play, so if Sony do officially support it by firmware I'm sure it is possible. Not saying Sony will support it, though.

coldone

This is the best solution for PSNow. Sony please make PSNow work with the tablets and DS4

DS4 is the best controller available. Playing PS3 games on a 5" screen with DS4 would be the best.

daoster

Does it really only support the Xperia brand right now?

I think that's short sighted on Sony's part, and won't make Remote Play and PSNow as popular as it could be if it was on every single Android device with the specs that could handle it. I understand that they also want to push their Cell Phone division, but...let's be serious here...if this was running on Samsung Galaxies as well or HTC Ones, Sony would ensure that their ambition of Playstation on every device will actually be fully realized.

SmokyDave

Vita TV support DS4, normal Vita can't and had to use the Vita controller.

I thought the Vita did if you chose 'second screen' rather than 'remote play'?

I'm not certain because I've never felt the need, but I thought that was the main difference between the two modes.

Also the Vita has dedicated controls and is about 3x more portable than the DS4 itself. ...plus not everyone is going to buy a specific phone considerably more expensive than the Vita.

I'm sorry but it's not really that much more portable imo vita has those knobs sticking out so I usually only carry my vote on me when I have a back pack. Ds4 and phone seem equally as portable. And I'd rather buy the phone as it does more stuff than a vita and does it better besides play store apps are indy quality usually lol. But that is just me. I think this is gonna strike vita sales in Japan pretty hard.

joecanada

Cool, but you are more than likely going to have to pair a controller with your phone. Where's PS Now mobile support?

you can already pair a controller with the z2 but I'm not sure how well it works because I hate mobile games...

Also the xperia phones have great cameras, screens and sound... vita is obsolete in one second after this releases. no hate for it but I just don't see the point now.

vpance

Does the screen have to be attached to the controller like that? It'd be nice if you could set it down.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I imagine you have to pair it (wireless) to the controller so you should be able to set it down.

Having to be at the same WiFi as the PS4, renders the feature completely irrelevant to me. Bummer...

That seems strange? Why would they allow it on Vita but not this?

I wonder if it is better quality than the Vita due to new wifi, or is it all on the PS4?

That's a long time ago. Sony imo makes some of the best Android phones right now. It would definitely be worth a shot to give them another try. Another plus side is that their skins are not very intrusive and somewhat minimal when you compare them to Samsung phones (the most popular choice for the average consumer).

I have a bad experience with the z2 my gf bought recently. Loved the phone but when we took an under water pic (covers were all closed and we barely dunked the phone in the water) and the phone shut off and now just acts funky. It actually won't even start now. Sony says that they won't cover water damaged and we're trying to sort out a very frustrating and expensive situation. I question the quality of Sony products and their service she barely had the phone a week and all that happened.

I thought the Vita did if you chose 'second screen' rather than 'remote play'?

I'm not certain because I've never felt the need, but I thought that was the main difference between the two modes.

I have seen my friend sit his VITA on his lap and use a DS4 to play watchdogs so I know its possible.

I know what my first tablet purchase will be...really cool idea, like everyone is saying this needs to come other devices. The only reason I can think of delaying it to other devices is to sell this during the holidays as the "exclusive devices" for remote play. (Even though the Vita has done it since day one.)

can you ask your friend how he did it? playing D3 is cramping my fingers lol

must be something like this?

edit: hold on well it looks like the best article about how to do it is on a banned site.

google use ds4 for remote play and check it out.

I don't have a Vita right now so I can't test it.

The dualshock 4 still controls the PS4 even when Vita is remote playing. So you can use DS4 to control ps4 and the video streams through Vita.

this is what I thought but like I said I don't have a Vita to test anything.

Lol, people in Japan aren't buying Vitas for remote play. It will largely remain unaffected.

Your absolutely right sorry I was thinking as a portable device but ur right the streaming isn't a killer app there :( gotta have ps4's for that lol. Sorry made a fool of myself will hide in shadows now.

HouseOfBalloons

Neo Member
I have a bad experience with the z2 my gf bought recently. Loved the phone but when we took an under water pic (covers were all closed and we barely dunked the phone in the water) and the phone shut off and now just acts funky. It actually won't even start now. Sony says that they won't cover water damaged and we're trying to sort out a very frustrating and expensive situation. I question the quality of Sony products and their service she barely had the phone a week and all that happened.

Ah, sucks man. I hope all the flaps were properly sealed in and not slightly loose. I'd be too much of a wuss to take my phone underwater, even if it is waterproof haha. I hope you get this sorted out with them.

I wonder if it's possible to emulate Vita in today's high end smartphone. like if Sony announce PS1, PSP, and Vita games playable on xperia Z3 or Z4. Vita games compatibility takes a hit a little for games that use rear pad, but the rest will be playable.

that will truly kill Vita...probably...

Top Bottom