• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact will be the first smartphones with PS4 Remote Play

Haxxona

Banned
Not really. You can have a recovery and be unrooted, lots of times the recovery is used to install su in the first place.
But to get your Cwm or Twrp recovery you need Root otherwise it wont install it because you dont have the credentials of a superuser
Edit: Seems as if Twrp on the Z2 can noe be installed via Play store that wasn't possible before. Good call!
Edit2: Nope the play store app requires Root for installation

stitch512

Banned
Problem or Sony is that the Z3 will still be AU$600 for the base model at minimum. There are far more Android tablets (Samsung) that can so almost as much for almost half the price. If it was not for the price tag, I would pick one up just for remote play but it looks like its the vita for now and then Vita TV in November.

Z3 Compact in White is currently £291 at Amazon right now with £10 voucher as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N8N48FY/

Ordered one and not sure why, currently have the OnePlus One, will see if I prefer the smaller screen size.

Ordered one, but might cancel it. Could be a good shout, but I'm unsure. I'd be more certain if the black was the same price...
Looking at reviews it has a good camera and great battery which are two of the most important parts to me, but then fast updates are too, and I don't know if I'd get that either officially or not. Anyone got history with the Z1 compact on this?

Harmen

Not a remote play guy, but it might come in handy in the future if the TV is occupied, so this will probably make me buy a Sony phone.

terrier

the other day i read anarticle that said that streaming for z3 devices was up to 720p. That means quite a bump from Vita remote play. I wonder if that is true and if that extra resolution is due to hw on z3 devices or just because screen allows more pixels. Maybe that could mean 60fps on vita at some point in the future

Ordered one, but might cancel it. Could be a good shout, but I'm unsure. I'd be more certain if the black was the same price...
Looking at reviews it has a good camera and great battery which are two of the most important parts to me, but then fast updates are too, and I don't know if I'd get that either officially or not. Anyone got history with the Z1 compact on this?

Sony are fairly quick on updates, the girlfriend has a pink Z1C and she's on 4.4.4 so they are up to day in terms of software.

Novocaine

What didn't you like about it?

Basically everything aside from the design (Z1). Tons of unwanted Sony bloat, couldn't just plug the thing in to my PC without using a program. There were times where the screen would literally stop responding to touch, which was just great when I was trying to answer a call.

Mostly just personal preference really, I like stock Android.

deadfolk

Basically everything aside from the design (Z1). Tons of unwanted Sony bloat, couldn't just plug the thing in to my PC without using a program. There were times where the screen would literally stop responding to touch, which was just great when I was trying to answer a call.

Thanks! I'd like stock myself, but I have to buy it carrier-subsidised, so I have no chance on that front anyway!

Edit: Are you saying you cant just plug it into a PC and see the storage as a drive?

Sony are fairly quick on updates, the girlfriend has a pink Z1C and she's on 4.4.4 so they are up to day in terms of software.

That sounds alright, thanks. With a bit of hope someone ports MultiROM over so I can switch between official builds and custom (more recent?) ones more easily (like I do on my current Nexus 4, between 4.4.4 official and L preview port).

Melchiah

I have Xperia P myself, and I can transfer data to-and-fro the phone and PC without any additional programs. It works just like a USB stick.

Novocaine

Thanks! I'd like stock myself, but I have to buy it carrier-subsidised, so I have no chance on that front anyway!

Edit: Are you saying you cant just plug it into a PC and see the storage as a drive?

I have Xperia P myself, and I can transfer data to-and-fro the phone and PC without any additional programs. It works just like a USB stick.

I don't know if it was my computer/phone or what but yeah it wouldn't work. The first time I plugged it in it asked me to install a companion app, I cancelled it and I could never get it to read after that. My current phone and tablet both work just fine.

Blanquito

the other day i read anarticle that said that streaming for z3 devices was up to 720p. That means quite a bump from Vita remote play. I wonder if that is true and if that extra resolution is due to hw on z3 devices or just because screen allows more pixels. Maybe that could mean 60fps on vita at some point in the future

Since sending the game to the Vita is most likely using the same method as sending the game to Twitch/UStream -- both of which can go up to 720p -- then there's a chance that it is sending 720p video to the Vita and then downscaling to the Vita's screen. That, or the PS4 knows the Vita has a 960x544 (I think) screen and only sends that resolution instead of 720p.

In either case, it's probably not that the Vita isn't powerful enough for decoding the video; it's just that the screen isn't 720p.

Anyone know when this phone releases? I can't find it up for sale on any UK websites yet. Carphone Warehouse just has an 'email me when it's available' option.

EDIT - sorry, talking specifically about the Z3C.

EDIT 2 - sorry; wrong place altogether. I meant to bump a thread in off-topic.

Iceberg

I don't know if it was my computer/phone or what but yeah it wouldn't work. The first time I plugged it in it asked me to install a companion app, I cancelled it and I could never get it to read after that. My current phone and tablet both work just fine.

Xperia Z1 works as an MTP or MSC device without any additional software. Your phone may be faulty.

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Sma...ow_to_change_the_usb_connection_options_on_my

The companion app is Sony PC Companion, the software used to backup and update your cell phone, but it's not really necessary.

Neil_J_UK

Posted this in the Driveclub OT but it may be better suited here -

I got a hands on with the Remote Play feature of the Z3 phone/compact tablet last night at the Sony Z3 launch party, and took a couple of short videos. I thought I'd test it out using DriveClub, as on all the promotional videos I've seen for RP on the Z3 range DriveClub is the game being played and I wasn't sure how the delay would affect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYNP9wnWwxs

Not me driving in this video, but I did have a play. Sorry for taking it portrait, I tried to get the controller/tablet/screen in the video and then only later realised it would look crap on YouTube.

Overall, was really impressed with it - as you can see the delay isn't too noticeable if you're just playing to have a bit of fun against friends or the AI, but you're obviously not going to be setting any lap records either. I would say there is a tiny, tiny bit less delay than using RP via the Vita, from my experience at home anyway. I was shocked at how good it looked on screen - most of the games I play via remote play on PS4 are above 30 FPS, and you can really notice the drop to 30 when using RP. But with DriveClub being made for 30 FPS I didn't feel like I was playing a poor mans version of the game.

And really, the best thing about this - using the DS4 instead of the Vita. It really felt like I just had a PS4 hooked up to a small TV and it was awesome. I didn't get the opportunity to test out the Game Control Mount with the tablet, but I was able to use it playing Knack with the Z3 phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qyWb_N7I4

The phone and mount are very light, so it only felt I was holding a slightly heavier DS4. I could adjust the angle of the mount from 90 degrees from the DS4 to 180 degrees, so viewing angle won't be a problem. The delay using RP though this method did seem slightly worse than using the tablet, but I'm not sure if that's due to the amount of PS4/phones/tablets they had hooked up to each other or not.

The only issue I encountered was that after 50% of the races on DriveClub, the DS4 would lose connection to the tablet, and after about 2 minutes messing about on Knack the DS4 lost connection to the phone. Again, not sure if it was an interference issue or not, but it's what happened.

I love Remote Play on my Vita, but my biggest problem with it is using the Vita as a controller as the rear touch pad is a total pain to use and ruins the experience for me. Being able to use the DS4 is a game changer if you use RP a lot, and I would definitely recommend it. It sold me on getting either the Z3 phone/tablet/possibly both - I just wish they'd release a 'full size' tablet for an even bigger RP screen.

TheBoss1

Can't seem to find a solid release window in the US for these phones. Anyone have an idea?

I mean unlocked phones, since they most likely won't make it under AT&T.

Oni Jazar

So they aren't planning to release the Z3 in America? I want the beast...
but I'll take this if it's the only option.

Well Verizon will sell the Z3V which is a modified Z3 Oct 23. And I think T-mobile will be selling the Z3 & Z3C by the end of this month.

pooptest

Going to skip Z3 and see what the Z4 is all about, coming out in 4-5 months. Leaked specs are crazy, and hopefully it actually comes to AT&T...

quetz67

Banned
I have a bunch of questions about either switching to a Z3 tablet for Remote Play or using it in adding to the Vita

- Has there been any hint Sony will offer a DS4 connection with Vita for remote play and PS Now?
- Has there been any announcement about PS Now for the Z3? They plan it for TVs even, wouldn't it be an obvious step?
- Does the Z3 tablet offer better WiFi than Vita? I have a feeling the Vita WiFi is pretty bad, but will it make a real difference?
- Is it correct that Z3 Remote Play works only in the same WLAN as the PS4 while there is no limitation on Vita?
- I like the Z3 but it is a little pricey. Do you think Sony will use counter measures to forbid Remote Play on other Android devices? At least to make it a hassle keeping up with a constantly updated app?
- Any experiences how comfortable the DS4 is mounted with the tablet? It seems not be a problem at all with a phone.
- Any experiences with playing native versions of a game vs. playing the PS4 version through Remote Play? Like Dead Nation or Guacamelee.

I have a bunch of questions about either switching to a Z3 tablet for Remote Play or using it in adding to the Vita

- Has there been any hint Sony will offer a DS4 connection with Vita for remote play and PS Now?
- Has there been any announcement about PS Now for the Z3? They plan it for TVs even, wouldn't it be an obvious step?
- Does the Z3 tablet offer better WiFi than Vita? I have a feeling the Vita WiFi is pretty bad, but will it make a real difference?
- Is it correct that Z3 Remote Play works only in the same WLAN as the PS4 while there is no limitation on Vita?
- Any experiences how comfortable the DS4 is mounted with the tablet? It seems not be a problem at all with a phone

I think I can answer these:
- no. There's a work around but nothing official.
- I think PS Now will be coming to the tablet. I vaguely remember it being mentioned
- tablet definitely has much better wifi than vita.
Vita only supports up to wireless G. Everyone uses this. Not that many channels on your router to choose from. Much chance for interference which is the main cause for crappy remote play.
Tablet will have AC wifi. The latest in wifi tech. Lightning fast. A whole lot more channels. Not many people or devices use it. Chance for interference is significantly less. Chance for improved RP and at better resolution.
- Z3 RP is the same as vitas. They just RECOMMEND same network for optimal performance.
- don't have first hand experience with comfort but the tablet is super light. It shouldn't be an issue with the mount.

quetz67

Banned
Thanks a lot, ricen-beans, very helpful and sounds much like the Z3 tablet is the best choice for RP (and hopefully PS Now).

jaydogg691

I think I can answer these:
- no. There's a work around but nothing official.
- I think PS Now will be coming to the tablet. I vaguely remember it being mentioned
- tablet definitely has much better wifi than vita.
Vita only supports up to wireless G. Everyone uses this. Not that many channels on your router to choose from. Much chance for interference which is the main cause for crappy remote play.
Tablet will have AC wifi. The latest in wifi tech. Lightning fast. A whole lot more channels. Not many people or devices use it. Chance for interference is significantly less. Chance for improved RP and at better resolution.
- Z3 RP is the same as vitas. They just RECOMMEND same network for optimal performance.
- don't have first hand experience with comfort but the tablet is super light. It shouldn't be an issue with the mount.

I'm pretty sure that the Vita has Wireless N at 2.4ghz and so does the PS4. If the PS4 supported N at 5ghz, there could be an improvement to the connection with Xperia devices. Even with direct connection to LAN with PS TV to PS4 there seems to be some issues with Remote Play. This is all speculation and won't till functionality is available in November. I just ordered my Z3 last week and will chime in on how functionality will work between these devices.

I'm pretty sure that the Vita has Wireless N at 2.4ghz and so does the PS4. If the PS4 supported N at 5ghz, there could be an improvement to the connection with Xperia devices. Even with direct connection to LAN with PS TV to PS4 there seems to be some issues with Remote Play. This is all speculation and won't till functionality is available in November. I just ordered my Z3 last week and will chime in on how functionality will work between these devices.
My bad. It does support N. Just not 5ghz.
My hope is that if my ps4 is wired to my AC router the tablet will have a better connection than the vita.

Top Bottom