• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo.. that "rape joke" during the Killer Instinct demo [Microsoft apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JawzPause

I knew people would take this too far. The small talk was awkward, the joke was shitty, and that's it. Don't make this a whole sexism bs thing.

turnbuckle

It was a very awkward scene, but I didn't get any rape joke implications. I don't think many would unless they were primed to hear that.

I thought it was just a crappy joke.

Mare Sheppard and Jon Blow pounced on it on twitter though. In this post-1reasonwhy world, that probably isn't the smartest way to approach that conversation.

Cornbread78

Funny comment on the side of the page:

evgon7UPatricia HernandezXX1L

ULShare to KinjaeE:

Just awful fake trash talk with just a hint of sexism behind it. As for the new Killer Instinct, I'll hold of judgement until more info is release and review but this didn't help it. This was the only breath of fresh air compared to shooter love fest of the rest of the show. It looks like the Xbone is going to be another prepubescent shooter console so far; such a shame. Also not liking $499.99 MSRP price point either

But yeah, at least he didn't say rape.... but might as well have...

Vanille

The implication didn't even cross my mind. People desperate to create controversy where there isn't any, as usual.

It wasn't a rape joke at all but it certainly carried some undertones of rape language, which is where the awkwardness came from. Regardless it was an uncomfortable segment since she was clearly not a match.

Hernandez's comment about the only girl [playing] in the conference being made fun of is more pertinent than OP's thread title.

Can't wait for Frag Dolls' inter racial gang bang while they're on stage during Ubisoft's presser.

Permanently A

I thought it was fucking hilarious. The awkwardness and how bad it was just added to it.

I didn't get "rape joke" from it though.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I didn't even think that at all, as you can obviously see he was referring his character's long ass combo. People need to stop this fishing bs.

marrec

Banned
Awkward yes. Malicious intent? I don't think so.

Malicious intent is not necessary for offense, but in this case I don't think offense is needed. Guy had to trash talk in an awkward way live onstage and that's what popped out. Obviously needs better writers.

Superflat

As the banter went on and on I couldn't help but get that feeling as well. Don't think it was intended though. Just horribly forced trash talk.

Nairume

Banned
Yeah, that was awkward as hell and it was pretty obvious that even the audience plants didn't really want to laugh at it.

I'm sure there's a good FGC joke in there somewhere.

antitrop

At least Patricia Hernandez had a legitimate issue to make an article about this time.

So, so disappointing that actually happened, though. And during a scripted event? I don't even.

casabolg

Banned
The fact that "just let it happen" was considered a rape joke is proof enough that feminism has indeed caused a rape hysteria in trying to solve their issues.

Azure J

Awkward choice of words given the context (and honestly, didn't even need to be that staged) but the intent wasn't to be an abuse line. All the same, I just know against all reason that this is going to get spun into something controversial by the end of the day. The escalation is imminent. =/

leroidys

The fact that "just let it happen" was considered a rape joke is proof enough that feminism has indeed caused a rape hysteria in trying to solve their issues.

Thanks for bringing the FACTS AND PROOF about rape hysteria and feminism failings at solving "their issues".

Pyccko

It was pretty nuts, can't really believe it got approved. As far as rape jokes go, it was tame, but it still got every girl on my twitter feed pretty riled. Journos and otherwise.

I don't think it was meant to be a rape joke, but it was a terrible choice of words as evidenced as the fact that it can be and is being interpreted that way by a nonzero number of people.

I don't think it's a rape joke, but the whole situation was awkward as hell. I mean, the whole "lol women can't play games" angle is still sexist so obviously that doesn't help matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom