• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) Demo impressions

JoeFenix

It's not - point-sampling had no performance difference over bi-linear for the past 12 (16 on PC) years.

I've seen games be selective with the filtering before too, Kid Icarus Uprising on 3DS being a recent example.

That game came from a dev with alot of technical know-how, it seems like a conscious decision, there has to be some form of gain from using it....

Durante

That game came from a dev with alot of technical know-how, it seems like a conscious decision, there has to be some form of gain from using it....
The "gain" is that some Japanese developers are utterly batshit insane and think it looks good. Someone needs to beat some sense into them.

Carl

Ohhh lots of impressions here. Just updated the OP with a selection of screenshots from you all, and lots of impressions :)

JoeFenix

The "gain" is that some Japanese developers are utterly batshit insane and think it looks good. Someone needs to beat some sense into them.

Are you serious? It looks like ass, there's no way around it!

I remember some bosses in Ys 7 had point-sampled textures while the rest of the game was bi-linear. The monster would have clearly benefited from proper texture filtering, I still refuse to believe it's an actual artistic choice/preference, there has to be some other reason!

Maedhros

Lots of info here (I've played for over 4 hours now). Feel free to put in the OP if you feel it would be helpful.

Links to my playthrough of the prologue: (about 100 minutes total)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1VBXGww5UE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD72jowQUsE

The demo goes beyond the prologue with 4 more missions. Nothing in the prologue is particularly long or hard (despite my troubles in the above videos, lol), but the story is actually really awesome. The music is fucking incredible, too. The 4 missions (well, the last 3) after the prologue are more "real", and are longer and more difficult.

There is a LOT of customization in this game. I will try to explain it as I currently have seen it:

-You have two levels. One is a Defense/Health level, and one is an Attack level. You level these up by saving (Defense/Health) or sacrificing (Attack) enemies. Bosses/bigger enemies give more EXP. Also, some enemies will lower your EXP in the department you don't choose (for example, saving: Defense/Health +4exp, Attack -2exp), but it will never level you down.

-You have the sacrificial magics. These are obtained by clearing stages (and possibly picked up in stages themselves?). Some drop more rarely than others. These involve all sorts of attacks, defensive maneuvers, evasive maneuvers, heals/regens, and more. As an above poster stated, if you get two of the same one, you can "combine" them for a +1 sort of thing. After that, you need 4 - then 8 - etc, to keep going to +2, +3. This usually lets you use it more times. (Using a sacrificial magic TOO many times and it will stop working completely and you need to "rejuvinate" it outside of missions by usings the books tears. As long as you don't use it ALL THE WAY down, it will fully repair after each fight. Also, you can find areas in each map where you can restore your "uses", although these are not unlimited. The proper use of each number of magic at the right time is VERY IMPORTANT to playing well.)

-There is also synthesis to make sacrificial magics. Currently I have a list of about 12 different magics that I can make, using other magics. I'm not sure yet how to find more recipes (there may not be more in the demo).

-After the prologue, you also get the ability to customize your arm. This is sorta like your "armor", although a lot of this customization grants bonuses to attack and stuff as well. You get these "seals" to place in your armor (there are 5 slots: two for "upper arm", two for "lower arm", and one for "hand") by killing a certain number of enemies. For example, kill 5 Jack-o'-Lanterns (a boss), and you unlock a certain seal. I LOVE this system because it feels like even if you don't get the rare sacrificial magic drop you are going for, you are always making progress on your seals (as well as your character levels, of course!).

-You've also got the "super attacks". I'm honestly not 100% sure how to earn these, but I've got Salamander. You can set up to 5 of these on your body at once.

There is other customization in there as well. I'll dive back in in a bit and check it out.

Fucking amazing. Sony needs to market this.

Japanese player reactions would be nice. On the streams I've watched earlier, the guys playing them seemed to be liking/loving it.

BadWolf

I've seen games be selective with the filtering before too, Kid Icarus Uprising on 3DS being a recent example.

For a smoother co-op experience off and online maybe?

Doesn't Tekken Tag 2 do this? Iirc it lowers the the background detail or something for online play. And it has to do this on a console.

I think its understandable from what we've seen so far. Unlike MH and God Eater there are a ton of effects going on constantly so I'm sure some sacrifices have to be made to keep everything running smoothly.

BTW, I've got another video coming up right now with a boss fight against Jack-O'-Lantern. Now that I basically know what the hell I'm doing, I recommend checking the video out as I think it will really give you an idea of how the normal game play goes (on the first boss, of course).

I'll post the link once it is up in 30 minutes or so.

kiyomi

Thanks for the impressions 22/Kyle. The mentions of more customization allays some fears that probably stem from my lack of being able to read Japanese text. :p

Carl

BTW, I've got another video coming up right now with a boss fight against Jack-O'-Lantern. Now that I basically know what the hell I'm doing, I recommend checking the video out as I think it will really give you an idea of how the normal game play goes (on the first boss, of course).

I'll post the link once it is up in 30 minutes or so.

Great stuff, Kyle :) I'll add it to the OP when you're done.

kiyomi

Carl I noticed you elected not to put in any of my pics :p

About to watch those videos and see someone play it who actually knows what they're doing as opposed to this < clown.

Lots of info here (I've played for over 4 hours now). Feel free to put in the OP if you feel it would be helpful.

The demo goes beyond the prologue with 4 more missions. Nothing in the prologue is particularly long or hard (despite my troubles in the above videos, lol), but the story is actually really awesome. The music is fucking incredible, too. The 4 missions (well, the last 3) after the prologue are more "real", and are longer and more difficult.

There is a LOT of customization in this game. I will try to explain it as I currently have seen it:

-You have two levels. One is a Defense/Health level, and one is an Attack level. You level these up by saving (Defense/Health) or sacrificing (Attack) enemies. Bosses/bigger enemies give more EXP. Also, some enemies will lower your EXP in the department you don't choose (for example, saving: Defense/Health +4exp, Attack -2exp), but it will never level you down.

-You have the sacrificial magics. These are obtained by clearing stages (and possibly picked up in stages themselves?). Some drop more rarely than others. These involve all sorts of attacks, defensive maneuvers, evasive maneuvers, heals/regens, and more. As an above poster stated, if you get two of the same one, you can "combine" them for a +1 sort of thing. After that, you need 4 - then 8 - etc, to keep going to +2, +3. This usually lets you use it more times. (Using a sacrificial magic TOO many times and it will stop working completely and you need to "rejuvinate" it outside of missions by usings the books tears. As long as you don't use it ALL THE WAY down, it will fully repair after each fight. Also, you can find areas in each map where you can restore your "uses", although these are not unlimited. The proper use of each number of magic at the right time is VERY IMPORTANT to playing well.)

-There is also synthesis to make sacrificial magics. Currently I have a list of about 12 different magics that I can make, using other magics. I'm not sure yet how to find more recipes (there may not be more in the demo).

-After the prologue, you also get the ability to customize your arm. This is sorta like your "armor", although a lot of this customization grants bonuses to attack and stuff as well. You get these "seals" to place in your armor (there are 5 slots: two for "upper arm", two for "lower arm", and one for "hand") by killing a certain number of enemies. For example, kill 5 Jack-o'-Lanterns (a boss), and you unlock a certain seal. I LOVE this system because it feels like even if you don't get the rare sacrificial magic drop you are going for, you are always making progress on your seals (as well as your character levels, of course!).

-You've also got the "super attacks". I'm honestly not 100% sure how to earn these, but I've got Salamander. You can set up to 5 of these on your body at once.

There is other customization in there as well. I'll dive back in in a bit and check it out.

Great post. This sounds really god damn amazing.

Yjynx

great...... there's just simply no way I'm going through this demo without proper japanese isn't it?

awesome vid btw - thanx.

panda21

wow, it sounds like the demo is super long??

is it worth putting my spare 4gb card in the vita to check it out if i don't japanese?

kiyomi

^ Yeah, do it! The game is a lot of fun even if like me you don't understand it. That's half of the fun, right? :D

New video:

First clean-up mission and then Jack-O-Lantern boss battle.

http://youtu.be/JuK12VAhfTo

I recommend checking this video out as I actually have a decent clue what I'm doing now :D

Fantastic as always. Pity I can't even beat Jack-O-Lantern's supposedly "weak" version :p

Couple of questions - how do you know when one of your sacrificial attacks is running out and how many you have left? Is it a finite number?

Also when you're sacrificing enemies during a mission, is that cumulatively adding to your sacrificial attacks? As in, all your attacks are getting stronger each time you sacrifice an enemy, and does that carry over from mission to mission? Or is there a progression system between battles in the menus? I've tried pressing different buttons but I can't *quite* tell whether I'm adding to an attack's power or just replacing it with another one, confused~

Thanks. :)

Edit ; I know you posted extensively about some of that stuff, just wondering more about it operates. Asking too many questions, I know!

Carl

Carl I noticed you elected not to put in any of my pics :p

About to watch those videos and see someone play it who actually knows what they're doing as opposed to this < clown.

Nothing personal lol. Just grabbed a good selection of them

Ran rp

Shiieeet.

i0hx7Pa12QTwv.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I will say that it's well worth getting your skills up to 2 stars if possible. it's worth grinding a level you know drops that spell a few times to get extra spells to combine.

It really does make all the difference.

Btw, under tattoo requirements, sometimes it asks that you get a monster's &#39746; (soul) while others you need to get their &#27671; (spirit). Is the difference between soul and spirit the difference between light and dark?

Because I noticed one tattoo required both &#12464;&#12540;&#12523;&#12398;&#39746; x 3 and &#12464;&#12540;&#12523;&#12398;&#27671; x 3. (I unlocked the tattoo, but I just wanted to double check if that's really the case)

I will say that it's well worth getting your skills up to 2 stars if possible. it's worth grinding a level you know drops that spell a few times to get extra spells to combine.

It really does make all the difference.

Btw, under tattoo requirements, sometimes it asks that you get a monster's &#39746; (soul) while others you need to get their &#27671; (spirit). Is the difference between soul and spirit the difference between light and dark?

Because I noticed one tattoo required both &#12464;&#12540;&#12523;&#12398;&#39746; x 3 and &#12464;&#12540;&#12523;&#12398;&#27671; x 3. (I unlocked the tattoo, but I just wanted to double check if that's really the case)

yea and the fact that you can combine spells to make new ones is pretty neat. I wish this was in English cause i'd grind the heck out of it.

Pretty fun game, Demo made this a day 1 for me.

I know it might have been already answered, but if I format my Vita and Mem card to use my Japanese account and try the demo, then can I do the same and use my main account?

Carl

Wasn't sure how much i would like it, but the gameplay is definitely good fun (even though i didn't really understand what i was doing a lot of the time, due to not speaking Japanese). Artwork is really nice, especially the monsters. So gruesome but works well and looks really nice. Combat feels great.

Very impressed. Will be sure to give it another go if/when it comes out in EU.

BadWolf

Does the demo have online multiplayer? If it does, how has the online experience been so far (lag, smoothness etc) for you guys?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Does the demo have online multiplayer? If it does, how has the online experience been so far (lag, smoothness etc)?

Yeah, it does have online multiplayer, and for me, it's been very very smooth. The online is very well done, from what I've played so far.

BadWolf

Yeah, it does have online multiplayer, and for me, it's been very very smooth. The online is very well done, from what I've played so far.

Awesome, thanks.

Looks like Sony is trying to do everything right with this game, the delay to polish it further was well worth it.

Reminds me of those Japanese action games that there were dozens of on the PS2 (and some even on the Xbox), and a lot of them were imo really good. Like Sword of Atheria or Bujingai or Crimson Sea or Blood Will Tell or whatever. Miss those times and those games. Not saying this one is bad, and it obviously has somewhat higher production values, but I liked it better when these games, a lot of which had pretty unique ideas (juggling in Aetheria or the Bujingai colour stuff (iirc)) were much more common. But for some reason not many people were interested in these types of games then hehe. But system seller? Ridiculous. Even in this thread, most people wouldn't be interested in it if it wasn't one of the few interesting looking games coming to Vita.

DBT85

New video:

First clean-up mission and then Jack-O-Lantern boss battle.

http://youtu.be/JuK12VAhfTo

I recommend checking this video out as I actually have a decent clue what I'm doing now :D

Game looks great, thanks for the vids Kyle.

Though I took away one key point, you say regen funny/differently to me.

Hopefully the demo proves popular in Japan and it encourages more people to look at the Vita as a viable option for them come March. Going from the user impressions of the demo alone, Sony/Inafune must have been doing fucking backflips when they heard MH was delayed from March.

thetrin

I'm already rather encouraged by the number of people playing the demo. A game like this lives and dies by how active its community is, and it's nice to pop into a match and find people immediately. That's saying a lot for a demo.

So thrilled to hear good impressions for this. I feel like this and Tearaway are the new IPs with the most chance of being system sellers. This is the only one I'm worried might not stay exclusive though.

BadWolf

So thrilled to hear good impressions for this. I feel like this and Tearaway are the new IPs with the most chance of being system sellers. This is the only one I'm worried might not stay exclusive though.

The only way I see this not remaining exclusive is if Vita dies completely, or something of the like.

I saw some intro video, I'm not sure if it was part of the demo though (you talk to the book and then go into and the mechanics of the book are explained).

The atmosphere is done right - the colors, the grotesque creatures, and the music.
Though, I'm not into this type of atmosphere at all (I prefer light-hearted games).

The gameplay seems smooth as well.

I hope this sells well, so it encourages more developers to take advantage of the Vita's power.
I really really hope this sells well, as I plan to buy a Vita next year.

Everyone that's saying this won't be an exclusive, which system will be made for? PS3?

panda21

i'd like to try this but the whole PSN account lock thing seems like a massive pain.

when i go to restore system it warns me about deactivating the Vita and says if i don't deactivate it now I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DEACTIVATE IT. is that actually true? this seems way too complicated just to sign in with a different psn account. I have a spare memory card but as far as i can tell i need to restore the system to default to be able to use it?

Top Bottom