• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

"I'm on the 360 and I originally used the analog stick w/o issue for SC4. Since then I've picked up a madcatz fightpad plus with the addition of supers which I believe are double qcf, I suspect I'll go with the dpad."

Critical Edges are simply A+B+K, IIRC.

Skilletor

"I'm on the 360 and I originally used the analog stick w/o issue for SC4. Since then I've picked up a madcatz fightpad plus with the addition of supers which I believe are double qcf, I suspect I'll go with the dpad."

Critical Edges are simply A+B+K, IIRC.

Nawp, they're 236236+abk.

Oh man, with one QCF reversals would be even more ridiculous than they are now. Moves are already so slow compared to 2d games that any time you see anything pop up on screen you can just let it rip. It doesn't seem like you can combo after the invincible ones, though. So that's good, I'm sure meter management will play a massive role in this game. Saving a bar for when your opponent has less than 25% health is going to make them shit their pants if you have a good CE.

For non-invincible CEs I saw a lot of people guard impact to confirm it, so that option's there too. Costs more meter, but it seems like the non-invincible ones have other advantages. The equivalent of SRK FADC Ultra, I suppose.

Airgetlam

Where are all these people getting it early?? I need to stop looking at these kinds of threads. It's making the wait that much harder. T_T

alstein

I'm not that worried about getting it early. Would have been nice, but with KOF, I'm happy with what I got right now.

TDLink

New article on 8wayrun about the history of banning in their community for this franchise, including more talk about Devil Jin's status:

http://8wayrun.com/threads/critical-edge-a-history-of-banning.10035/

He pretty much admits that the prevent cheating argument is just a really dumb excuse and the real reasoning is fears of it being too OP...which is a dumb reason to ban anything.

The Key portion:

It takes about 5 hours to unlock all characters in SC5; so Namco decided to make it easier for TOs and leave the save files unlocked. A TO could copy a save file with all unlocks and CAS from one console to another. So what if we made a default set of Devil-Jin CAS, distributed this save file freely and TOs could use this as their standard unlocked save file?

Sure, it can be said that people can edit the costume during the tournament in attempts to cheat; but any changes to the costume is clearly evident and will be caught on sight. Not to mention any changes to the characters height (which changes the hurt-boxes) wipes out the character design and it would take a significant amount of time for a cheater to recreate it; which they wont have at a tournament. Problem solved, right?

Well... no. While the lead director of SC5, Daishi Odashima insists that Devil-Jin is balanced for tournament play, the actual play testers for the upcoming Future Press strategy guide say otherwise. In fact, both the French and German communities state that Devil-Jin is completely overpowered and shouldn't be legal in tournaments. So what do we do?

mugwhump

Can someone with the game clear something up about the controls?

In SC2, instead of double-tapping a direction, they let you input a quarter circle ending on that direction. So instead of tapping 99, you could roll 789. SC4, from what I remember, didn't let you do that.

Does that work in SC5?

soakrates

He pretty much admits that the prevent cheating argument is just a really dumb excuse and the real reasoning is fears of it being too OP...which is a dumb reason to ban anything.
This isn't the first time Jaxel has gone off the reservation and caused headaches for other prominent community members. Despite what he says in that piece, not that many people are concerned about Devil Jin being broken (this includes people who've been playing the game for a while now). As many TOs have said several times, DJ will be allowed when he is released as a selectable, pre-made character.

Jaxel's idea is also pretty half-baked. I don't see the point of learning a character that's banned at majors. Unless I've resolved to play at local tourneys exclusively and never go to majors, time spent training with Devil Jin is essentially time wasted.

Personally, I'm so sick of this debate that I'll just defer to whatever the majority of organizers go with, whether that means banning or allowing him. Failing that, just follow the EVO rule set for every tournament. This whole thing is just silly.

New article on 8wayrun about the history of banning in their community for this franchise, including more talk about Devil Jin's status:

http://8wayrun.com/threads/critical-edge-a-history-of-banning.10035/

The Key portion:

I really don't like the two ruleset system. Either go balls out and let DJ in, or blanket ban him along with the rest of CaS. I dunno, what do the more competitive players think of this?

alstein

I like his allowing the character at local tournies, banning at majors for now idea, but I think it won't work in practice.

I think the major ban will keep him from being played seriously outside of online warriors, who will flock to DJ because he is banned.

In cases where a ban isn't clear, personally I'd learn towards the ban. It's the safer move. This isn't the Arcades, and "playing to win" has nothing to do with making every character legal. I'd prefer a blanket ban.

Skilletor

I really don't like the two ruleset system. Either go balls out and let DJ in, or blanket ban him along with the rest of CaS. I dunno, what do the more competitive players think of this?

I think we should wait until the game is available and people can play it before banning anything.

alstein

I think we should wait until the game is available and people can play it before banning anything.

And then if he's overpowered or warps the game, folks will protest hard if you try to ban him then, and you create even more drama. It's best to just nip in the bud to begin with. It's easier to un-ban a character then it is to ban a character.

Skilletor

And then if he's overpowered or warps the game, folks will protest hard if you try to ban him then, and you create even more drama. It's best to just nip in the bud to begin with. It's easier to un-ban a character then it is to ban a character.

People will bitch either way. If you ban a character before anybody can play him, how do you know he's too good if nobody tries to be competitive with him?

This is all stupid. I don't see why you should ban anything before the majority of people have touched the game.

AAK

That was pretty well edited!

I'm kinda confused about this logic. If people do find out he's overpowered, wouldn't they be more open to the idea of banning him since he's been proven to break the game compared to blindly banning him out of fear?

The French and German playtesters voiced their opinions, but the true tier lists of games don't come out until extremely far into the game's life cycle. Especially for a new game like SCV which introduces so many new mechanics to the series.

I'm in the camp for play before judging.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The problem with CAS is changing the character's size can also alter the combos and move properties. Quite a few of Talim's CAS in SC IV couldn't co certain combos because they were too tall etc. Amy's CAS potentially gave you a character with much longer reach and so on.

Once you allow a CAS you're also introducing a lot of uncertainty in how a character will actually work in matchups. The guest characters like Shura and Asholette were also banned because they weren't created with any consideration of how their slight changes altered how the character played.

If it was just a matter of worrying about the character being broken, this wouldn't be an issue. However since any CAS characters with the same moveset can potentially play differently depending on their physical dimensions, they either need to nail the moveset to a specific size standard or ban it entirely.

I'm kinda confused about this logic. If people do find out he's overpowered, wouldn't they be more open to the idea of banning him since he's been proven to break the game compared to blindly banning him out of fear?
The fans of playing a broken character tend to be quite vocal.

d0c_zaius

Does anybody with the game mind saying a bit about Soul Link? It sounds like it might be a form of auto-log

It seems its a form of local rival stat tracking.

On the menu it shows my character and stats like total play time, offline time, online time. and then it shows 3 other slots for other local IDs.

I'm having trouble getting used to this new parry system. Otherwise I'm liking the pace of the fights.

Lol at the License card title "Nervous as Hell"

Wow, just for not being in the arcade version? That's ridiculous. Was there any other rebalancing for consoles? Were tournaments played on cabinets?

Skilletor

The problem with CAS is changing the character's size can also alter the combos and move properties. Quite a few of Talim's CAS in SC IV couldn't co certain combos because they were too tall etc. Amy's CAS potentially gave you a character with much longer reach and so on.

Once you allow a CAS you're also introducing a lot of uncertainty in how a character will actually work in matchups. The guest characters like Shura and Asholette were also banned because they weren't created with any consideration of how their slight changes altered how the character played.

If it was just a matter of worrying about the character being broken, this wouldn't be an issue. However since any CAS characters with the same moveset can potentially play differently depending on their physical dimensions, they either need to nail the moveset to a specific size standard or ban it entirely.

The fans of playing a broken character tend to be quite vocal.

Devil Jin has a default size, just like every other character.

Wow, just for not being in the arcade version? That's ridiculous. Was there any other rebalancing for consoles? Were tournaments played on cabinets?

If I remember correctly, tournaments at the time of SC2 were mostly cabinets. Later in its life, moved to consoles.

sephi22

Can't wait though. I fucking love making my own guys in these games. Hope I can still make a kickass looking Piccolo (DBZ).
I tend to agree with this top youtube comment on the Character Creation trailer.
I refuse to copy and create a character that already exists.
"Oh boy! I cant wait to make Goku and whole bunch of other DBZ
guys. I'm gonna make Cloud, and Sephiroth, and Naruto,solid Snake
and so much more! I just love CREATING characters."
Thats NOT creating a character.
Be imaginative people.
EQUIP THE WEIRD STUFF,
and stop making what you see everywhere else.
Its going to suck fighting tons of Sephiroth Mitsurugis online.

soakrates

DJ being banned is mostly a logistics issue. It's been said several times that once there's a pre-made, instantly selectable Devil Jin available, he will (probably) be allowed in tournaments. I don't know why people keep missing this. If you don't agree with that, take it up with tournament organizers, because they can argue their position better than I ever could.

Besides, if he were to be allowed now and banned later for whatever reason, there would probably be a lot of bitter DJ players to deal with, because they'll have spent weeks or perhaps even months learning how to use him.

Bottom line: If Project Soul is convinced that DJ is meant for competitive play, they should do the right thing and put the damn character in the game. Until they do that, he's banned.

Hi guys!

I need an answer to a vital question I have for the Collectors Edition of Soul Calibur V.

Question: How long is the soundtrack?

I want it to be 50 minutes at least, but 60 or over is preferable. I'm planning on getting the CE on Tuesday for the soundtrack (plus Final Fantasy XIII-2 CE), but if it's only going to be a 20 minute sample, I'd rather cancel my CE preorder and get the regular edition for cheaper.

Squire

Banned
It seems its a form of local rival stat tracking.

On the menu it shows my character and stats like total play time, offline time, online time. and then it shows 3 other slots for other local IDs.

I'm having trouble getting used to this new parry system. Otherwise I'm liking the pace of the fights.

Lol at the License card title "Nervous as Hell"

Ah, I see. Thanks for the impressions.

There's a place in LA too. I don't know if I should get it early or wait until tuesday for deals. Choices.

See why did you have to go and say that...I know where to go I think lol...hmmm

Now I need to decide if I should drive up to LA tomorrow from San Diego, or wait it out...

Skilletor

DJ being banned is mostly a logistics issue. It's been said several times that once there's a pre-made, instantly selectable Devil Jin available, he will (probably) be allowed in tournaments. I don't know why people keep missing this. If you don't agree with that, take it up with tournament organizers, because they can argue their position better than I ever could.

Besides, if he were to be allowed now and banned later for whatever reason, there would probably be a lot of bitter DJ players to deal with, because they'll have spent weeks or perhaps even months learning how to use him.

Bottom line: If Project Soul is convinced that DJ is meant for competitive play, they should do the right thing and put the damn character in the game. Until they do that, he's banned.

But tournament organizers can just dl a save from 8wayrun. There is a default size, and apparently going in to change the size of the character completely wipes the created character. I think this should alleviate the fear of cheaters. Jaxel outlines this in his blog post.

Edit: Can you dl saves on 360?

Top Bottom