• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

d0c_zaius

After messing around with it for 5 hours, I can say I like it more than 4. It feels more focused, and the time skip really helped.

Pyrrha is probably my favorite character. I played Sophitia in Soul Edge, and Pyrrha is as if the designers said "We need to remake her properly". There are little touches to her animations that really make her character come alive.

Story mode wasn't bad. It's a little short unfortunately, but the narrative is focused and cinematic.

They took a couple of risks, but I think the pace/system mechanic changes will really step up the way the fights feel and look. I hope the balance maintains so people have a reason to choose from the entire cast.

4 made me mad. This game is making up for it, so far.

kuroshiki

After messing around with it for 5 hours, I can say I like it more than 4. It feels more focused, and the time skip really helped.

Pyrrha is probably my favorite character. I played Sophitia in Soul Edge, and Pyrrha is as if the designers said "We need to remake her properly". There are little touches to her animations that really make her character come alive.

Story mode wasn't bad. It's a little short unfortunately, but the narrative is focused and cinematic.

They took a couple of risks, but I think the pace/system mechanic changes will really step up the way the fights feel and look. I hope the balance maintains so people have a reason to choose from the entire cast.

Is pyrrha
become the next 'nightmare' as a canon?

Because if she is, then yeah, I will get the game eventually.

Monocle

Is pyrrha
become the next 'nightmare' as a canon?

Because if she is, then yeah, I will get the game eventually.
You're going to want to use brackets in those spoiler tags.

Regarding your question,
one of the leaked unlockable characters is Pyrrha Omega, who wields Soul Edge in a Sophitia/Cassandra hybrid style. Her body isn't mutated like Nightmare's but she has crazy eyes.

Skilletor

Good stuff. I plan on using her as my 2nd short range character. :)

Is she as similar to Sophie as she seems in vids?

kuroshiki

Amazing. :D

Change < to [.

Thanks. It is now fixed.

I already saw the spoiler, but
Omega Phyrra could be just a Namco's lazy way of making extra character -recycling moveset from previous characters-, not a real canon. I'm wondering if she is really really the next generation nightmare or just a cheap way of making extra character with no effort for soul calibur 5.

Thanks. It is now fixed.

Omega Phyrra could be just a Namco's lazy way of making extra character -recycling moveset from previous characters-, not a real canon. I'm wondering if she is really really the next generation nightmare or just a cheap way of making extra character with no effort for soul calibur 5.

It's canon, but since I don't have the game yet I can't tell you if she stays that way. I kinda doubt she will.

d0c_zaius

Good stuff. I plan on using her as my 2nd short range character. :)

Is she as similar to Sophie as she seems in vids?

Yup. There are a couple of little differences but Sophie fans will be happy!

Thanks. It is now fixed.

I don't think there are any "lazy" characters, except for the mimics. Each character has their own touches to make them unique enough. Within the context of the story, all the bonus characters are solid. Once people play through the story, or just mess with each character, they'll see the reason why they decided to do what they did.

kuroshiki

It's canon, but since I don't have the game yet I can't tell you if she stays that way. I kinda doubt she will.

I think I guess love of her brother and mother saves her from the evil of Soul Edge is a darn predictable story... I hope Namco at least make some ultra tragic heroine.

d0c_zaius

I think I guess love of her brother and mother saves her from the evil of Soul Edge is a darn predictable story... I hope Namco at least make some ultra tragic heroine.

I just beat the story and I think they did a good job of keeping things fresh and unpredictable given it's the 5th game in the series, especially if people haven't see any leak info.

the "alternate" characters aren't wasted slots or pallet swaps, especially for people that don't like their normal movesets.

Whoa whoa! Zircon and pixietricks from OCRemix are doing some music for this game!? For REAL!? MIND BLOWN!!! I'm sure it won't sound anything like this though:

http://www.youtube.com/jillianaversa#p/u/2/Pf6U9UZPKso

lol

Anyway, I decided to watch the unboxing CE video on 8wayrun and I see 17 tracks are on the CD. I couldn't read the names of the tracks though. I'm guessing the tracks are from the old games and the new one. Hopefully it's like a 'best of' compilation and we get some good songs. I'll get it. I'm looking forward to the game. :)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
He's still linear. However if people don't know how to play against him, then they MAY have problems. His BE comboability is awesome.

shiroryu

Anybody: any Natsu impressions? How does she compare to Taki?

Watching the stream and Natsu got too little time. Ezio looks awesome.

Google translated DLC Tracklist:

AFTERGLOW-A SILENT PRAYER SCBD
BRAVELY FOLK SONG SE The theme of Cervantes
THE WIND AND CLOUDS SE The theme of Mitsurugi
HORANGI ARIRANG SE The theme of the fan
SOUL AND SWORD SE The theme of Siegfried
WORLD ATLAS COLLAPSED SE Soul Edge Theme
DUELISTS SC1 The theme of Mitsurugi
THE CURSED IMAGE SC1 Waterfall Theme
CHASING DOWNSTREAM SC1 Theme of Yoshimitsu
WING OF FAITH SC1 Theme Sofitia
UNBLESSED SOUL SC1 The theme of Ivy
BRAVE SWORD, BRAVER SOUL SC2 Mitsurugi, Taki theme
HUBRIS SC2 Shanfa theme of Kiriku
RAISE THY SWORD SC2 The theme of Nightmare
GUIDED BY WIND SC2 The theme of the Tarim
CONFRONTATION SC2 Charade Theme
EPHEMERAL DREAM SC3 Snow Flower Theme
COURAGE ABLAZE SC3 The theme of Cassandra
ENDLESS WARFARE SC3 The theme of Raphael
TIME MARCHES ON SC3 Theme Zasarameru
FORESAKEN SANCTUARY SC3 Mitsurugi, Siegfried theme
HALCYON HARBOR SC4 Sailor's paradise
THANATOS SC4 Special big boss battle
PHANTASMAGORIA SC4 Tent illusion
DESTINY WILL TELL SC4 Encounter Tower of Memories
INFERNAL OFFERING SC4 Kunpetoku dream temple ruins

DrDogg

Keep in mind the fact that several of the top French players wrote the strategy guide, so they've been playing the game for some time now.

Coxy

ok good Sieggy still looks great, was worried when some prerelease rumours were saying he changed a lot

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I kinda want to get this for Ezio. Is that bad? :/ I didn't mind SC2 X-box, but I've never been fond of 3D fighters.

Top Bottom