• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

soakrates

Soakrates, you live in SF, right? Wanna play some local battles in a couple weeks when we're more comfortable with the game? I'm trying to find people to play.
I live in San Jose, but I'll probably be all over the Bay Area when the game hits. You should come to Gamecenter in San Mateo on Feb. 11 for the first big NorCal gathering. There should be about 5 setups, and a lot of our top players (KrayzieCD, Hates, etc.) will be there.

soakrates

I think so, but Caltrain is your best bet. Gamecenter is barely more than a minute's walk from the San Mateo Caltrain station.

I hope not, that killed it for me. It was a lot of tweaks that didn't make sense.

This. The game became so foreign to me at the end. Relearning match-ups, your character and all. Is like I couldn't take a break from the game....Love the game, and props to NR. But MK was super rush, same with the guide.

Kimosabae

Banned
Not sure I like the implications of JG. Why is GI even in the game, still? How does being punished by a raw Super for having a safe poke blocked justifiable? This sounds like it needs to tweaking. I just don't like the sound of being able to Just Guard any and everything at anytime.

Yea, watching that Aris vid, what's the point of GI now. Why does that one take meter? They should had reversed it maybe?

Fuck learning frames yo, just parry that shit, hehe. To much 3rd strike in my SC for tastes. We shall see.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yea, watching that Aris vid, what's the point of GI now. Why does that one take meter? They should had reversed it maybe?

Fuck learning frames yo, just parry that shit, hehe. To much 3rd strike in my SC for tastes. We shall see.

This, too. One of the defining characteristics of 3D fighters, at least for me, is potentially subverted and subjugated.

This, too. One of the defining characteristics of 3D fighters, at least for me, is potentially subverted and subjugated.

I don't know if this relates, but I was listing to Aris' TTT2 review, and he was talking about tekken and why the scene doesn't get new people and stagnates in the US in particular.

I think one of his points is that you have to gain so much knowledge about all the characters and their frames and that puts some people off. He was saying Namco maybe needs to do something to change the direction tekken is going to grow the scene and get new people.

On face value, it seems stuff like this would put less emphasis on learning the frames, because you can just visually react to moves and go from there and not worry how to punish so much (of course they can re-JG you).

What if Tekken 7 has Just Parry or something like this? Weird. Maybe TKxSF too, haha.

IDK, it's all interesting stuffs. can't wait until Tuesday.

soakrates

Videos like that make JG look easy, but in an actual match it's very tough to get consistently. A buddy of mine was able to get it nearly 100% of the time in training mode, but during our matches it hardly ever happened, even when he was trying for it. It's too hard to tell how it'll pan out, but if I had to guess, I'd say that in the long run it'll mostly be useful against opponents spamming strings or in life-or-death situations. It's way too risky to attempt constantly.

Question for those who've been playing through Story Mode:

What's the ratio of CGI to comic book illustration in the cutscenes?

I think GI is now high+mid+low? (is that right?) And probably active much longer.

Wait, GI covers all 3 now? Or there are 3 different ones?

It seems like for GI, if you mess up, you lose meter. Plus the recovery animation is greater. If you mess up the JG, the downside is not as bad.

Wait, GI covers all 3 now? Or there are 3 different ones?

It seems like for GI, if you mess up, you lose meter. Plus the recovery animation is greater. If you mess up the JG, the downside is not as bad.

Yeah, it covers all 3 IIRC. So pretty much GI is to punish without taking the risk of going high or low but with the risk of getting punished if you time it wrong (+ waste of meter), and JG is to avoid the risk of being punished if time it wrong (+ doesn't use meter) but you take the risk of getting hit by a high/low. At least that's how I see it.

Monocle

Discouraging! This will be messed up by bad connections online.
On the flip side, you won't have to put up with scrubs just guarding half your attacks by pawing at the guard button at random. Better to keep the timing strict IMO, even if it limits the technique's viability online.

SUPARSTARX

On the flip side, you won't have to put up with scrubs just guarding half your attacks by pawing at the guard button at random. Better to keep the timing strict IMO, even if it limits the technique's viability online.

Online is a huge training ground for me as a casual fighting game player. I duno, we'll see how much impact this Just Guard thing plays out when everyone gets the game this week.

Spruchy

Might be getting this a day early tomorrow! Will probably stream the single player if anyone is interested in that.

CPS2

So with just guarding you pretty much have to release it quickly for it to register right? That's how they've changed Yoshi's a:B+K as well, if you don't release the buttons fast enough (probably one frame) it doesn't work.

sephi22

Best things about SCV's online suite:
1. You can set up your country in the profile card. They've got every country in there AFAIK. I've set my region as UAE, Middle East.
2. You can filter matches by actual regions, not just 'Region:Same/Any'. They've got Regions:Japan/US/EU/Asia. This is a godsend for me since my PSN ID is US and other games would couple me with US players who I'd lag with.
3. The Global Coliseum (rooms where players can challenge each other MK9 style) also has rooms named based on region. There's a Dubai room, a Riyadh room, heck even a Mumbai room. :D
4. Spectator lobbies have kick and text chat options.

Motherfucking A.
You know what they say, Third Strike is what counts
And you can get it too, don't think that I can't know you out

Question for those who've been playing through Story Mode:

What's the ratio of CGI to comic book illustration in the cutscenes?

There's a comic book cutscene at the start and end of each chapter. There are about 20 chapters. There are about 5-7 CG scenes in total.

Why would you wanna do that? :(

Great, Lady Gaga in the background of a Soul Calibur V match. :p

because i have SC music remixes and i don't feel like paying dlc just to use my own music..
Since when LG = music anyway ?

Anyway a epic battle between sieg & nightmare on that wasteland battlefield level with some Bach on the background would have been epic...

kage

1. You can set up your country in the profile card. They've got every country in there AFAIK. I've set my region as UAE, Middle East.

So can you search based on that? I'm in the uae as well and it's TOUGH finding players online.

alstein

Ugh. That is way stronger then I imagined JG to be. I can easily see this mechanic causing "problems" (with a huge debate over whether it's a problem) I'm definitely looking for a grappler now. Who's the best non-Astaroth grappler?

Edit: folks are saying this is still very hard. With a guard button and valid mid/low mixup, I can believe it. I was hoping the reward would be less though.

This game will be as controversial as 3S- people are going to either love or hate SC5. I'm unsure on my own opinion- I hated 3S because of the parry, but felt that the system could work if they did what SC5 did, so this game is kinda testing out my theory.

That said, I do disagree with Aris on GI being made useless, I think it will be used in situations where there's mid-low mixup.

sephi22

So can you search based on that? I'm in the uae as well and it's TOUGH finding players online.
No. Youve got to search based on broad regions... Eu or asia. Theres no middle east option iirc. You can join the ME global coliseum though.

AAK

I don't know if this relates, but I was listing to Aris' TTT2 review, and he was talking about tekken and why the scene doesn't get new people and stagnates in the US in particular.

I think one of his points is that you have to gain so much knowledge about all the characters and their frames and that puts some people off. He was saying Namco maybe needs to do something to change the direction tekken is going to grow the scene and get new people.

On face value, it seems stuff like this would put less emphasis on learning the frames, because you can just visually react to moves and go from there and not worry how to punish so much (of course they can re-JG you).

What if Tekken 7 has Just Parry or something like this? Weird. Maybe TKxSF too, haha.

IDK, it's all interesting stuffs. can't wait until Tuesday.

The thing is, is that Tekken is first and foremost an Arcade game designed specifically to cater to the Arcade goers. (Just looking at console Tekken's graphics it's obvious they are afterthoughts) And hence, it's main market and cash cow is Korea, Japan, Phillipines, Indonesia, Australia, etc. where Arcades flourish. That hardcore community is willing to put in thousands of hours and nearly thousands of dollars in tokens over the course of it's lifecycle to play at that level of depth and competition. I doubt Namco would change the system so much at risk of losing that community.

However for TxSF.... that game being a console first game catered to the Western audience, the changes are going to be crazy drastic for that game I'm sure.

sephi22

Is there a way to set the training dummy to repeat playback? Ive recorded a command for Jg practice but i have to pree select + x for playback and that screws my Jg timing

alstein

The thing is, is that Tekken is first and foremost an Arcade game designed specifically to cater to the Arcade goers. (Just looking at console Tekken's graphics it's obvious they are afterthoughts) And hence, it's main market and cash cow is Korea, Japan, Phillipines, Indonesia, Australia, etc. where Arcades flourish. That hardcore community is willing to put in thousands of hours and nearly thousands of dollars in tokens over the course of it's lifecycle to play at that level of depth and competition. I doubt Namco would change the system so much at risk of losing that community.

However for TxSF.... that game being a console first game catered to the Western audience, the changes are going to be crazy drastic for that game I'm sure.

If that's the case, why not cut the roster? I think part of Tekken's problem is just that the roster is too big. I think VF's roster is about the right size for a game that requires a ton of knowledge.

I sometimes really wish Tekken 4 hadn't had Jin, I think the game would have been received a lot better if it didn't have the glaring balance issues, and I liked the new concepts in that.

Kimosabae

Banned
If that's the case, why not cut the roster? I think part of Tekken's problem is just that the roster is too big. I think VF's roster is about the right size for a game that requires a ton of knowledge.

I sometimes really wish Tekken 4 hadn't had Jin, I think the game would have been received a lot better if it didn't have the glaring balance issues, and I liked the new concepts in that.

Glad to see someone else that has sense enough to realize exceedingly large rosters can be a bad thing.

Jaxel article is so unsurprisingly horrible.

Top Bottom