• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

deim0s

What is the difficulty curve of the Legendary Souls mode's AI?

Learned that 99'59'99 is the max clear time on this mode and I only reached stage 3 LOL!

Everytime I block/recover from stun and sneak an attack in... I just keep getting countered and their hits gets in. All I see on the opponent side is:

2 hit
COUNTER
COUNTER
3 hit
COUNTER
CRITICAL EDGE
COUNTER
COUNTER
4 hit
COUNTER
3 hit
COUNTER
3 hit

Shit just goes on and on. For a long, long, time this is the only game that made me feel oh so worthless. :/

*sigh*

Let's see tomorrow.

Skilletor

I'm seriously confused by this and frequency's sentiments.

Who really buys a fighting game for it's "single player" content? It's roots have always been to play multiplayer locally with your friends.

Reading GAF has shown me that lots of people care about single player content in a fighter.

scosher

Reading GAF has shown me that lots of people care about single player content in a fighter.

Well, don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with caring about having good single player content, especially after MK9 set the bar. I was bummed that the story mode sucked, and there was little else afterwards but doing endless quick battles or beating your head against the wall in Legendary Souls. But ultimately, I don't buy a fighting game based on its single player content. I don't think anyone, including frequency, actually does.

And the fact that the netcode is probably the best in any fighter out right now means that this game actually provides more "solo experience" than whatever extra single player content they may have hashed together. Game was rushed, but their dev time was well spent imo.

frequency

Well, don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with caring about having good single player content, especially after MK9 set the bar. I was bummed that the story mode sucked, and there was little else afterwards but doing endless quick battles or beating your head against the wall in Legendary Souls. But ultimately, I don't buy a fighting game based on its single player content. I don't think anyone, including frequency, actually does.

And the fact that the netcode is probably the best in any fighter out right now means that this game actually provides more "solo experience" than whatever extra single player content they may have hashed together. Game was rushed, but their dev time was well spent imo.

I buy fighting games for the single player. I rarely ever play online in any game.
Single player means I can play however I want. I can take it slow and make my fights look pretty and do well. I like special rules and learning multiple characters and all that at my own pace.
I like the slow trickle of rewards - new costumes, art galleries, etc.

Online becomes too competitive. I have to scale down my move list to just the best moves. I don't have time to think about what I want to do. I can't take my time. If I want to do well, I have to focus on learning a few characters at most.

It's a completely different experience and I don't like it.

This is why I don't get into KOF and SF and VF or any of those games. SC was here for people like me. Now it's not.
I hope it is just a time constraint thing. That SC6 will bring back the SP content.

I'm not a fighting game fan. I am a SC fan.

Skilletor

Damn man, very nice. Doing fair (I suppose?) with Hilde so far, 100 wins and 38 losses. Most of those losses belonging to Mitsurugi, Pyrrha, and Leixia players.

That's really good, I'd say. My experience with this is the same I had with DoA. A lot of people who had never played against people jumping online and doing stuff that works against their pals. I'll be getting my losses in the next few weeks, I'm sure, and I look forward to it. :)

I really don't like the way Sieg feels in this (he's been my alt since SC2), so I'm thinking of learning Hilde. The musketeers outfit is way too powerful.

zlatko

Banned
I'm complete dildos at this game, but I refuse to give up on it just yet simply because A) The online is amazing for me, and B) Devil Jin style is a shit ton of fun to play.

If I can't bring myself to 50% win/loss by the end of this month with some consistent time put in, then I'll retire it. Fun game when you are in an even skilled match, but when you lose hard it makes you feel like complete shit.

scosher

I buy fighting games for the single player. I rarely ever play online in any game.

Well, I take back what I said then lol. Did not realize there were consumers like you. I consider myself a casual player as well, and while not terrible (only about 60-70% win percentage online), I'm no where near the calibre of tournament players. But even ignoring online play, I play SC mainly to play locally with friends. Did not realize there were people who bought fighting games for other reasons besides that multiplayer factor.

sleepykyo

I'm seriously confused by this and frequency's sentiments.

Who really buys a fighting game for it's "single player" content? It's roots have always been to play multiplayer locally with your friends.

The fact that the online mode is so superb and almost lag-free (I can actually duck throws or sidestep verticals on reaction! In SC4, I couldn't even block a slow low attack like Siegfried's) means that I actually end up playing this game more when I'm alone. Whereas before, as soon as my friends got bored of SC4 and dropped it, I pretty much had to too, even though I still enjoyed the game. No one to play with and online being ass = game returned to shelf.

Project Soul focused on what they needed to do the most -- fix the core gameplay after the abominations that were SC3 and 4 and make online viable. If it lacked either of those, the game would've been dead after a month, regardless if it had a 20 hour single player campaign mode. Now, I can see this game lasting the rest of PS3/XBox's lifespan honestly.

About 2-3 million MK fans and whatever the difference is between SC4 and SC5.

GrayFoxPL

After long ass waiting I finally got the game.

It's cool. Very fast. Played a bit with Zwei, he's fun but slow and doesn't have good fuck off move from kissing range.

Made quick Jin in Creation.

Played some ranked, 7-4 at the end, not too bad.

Colosseum is a really cool addition.

I have a problem with online.

Anyone else have to wait really really long to find a match and gets often network error or "unable to find"? Anyone?

I have dmz on ps3 and T6 online works without a hitch.

Shame story mode was spoiled looks quite nice at first glance.

Roto13

Single player means I can play however I want. I can take it slow and make my fights look pretty and do well. I like special rules and learning multiple characters and all that at my own pace.
I like the slow trickle of rewards - new costumes, art galleries, etc.

Online becomes too competitive. I have to scale down my move list to just the best moves. I don't have time to think about what I want to do. I can't take my time. If I want to do well, I have to focus on learning a few characters at most.

It's a completely different experience and I don't like it.

This is why I don't get into KOF and SF and VF or any of those games. SC was here for people like me. Now it's not.
I hope it is just a time constraint thing. That SC6 will bring back the SP content.

I can appreciate this. Honestly, I don't really like playing online with strangers in anything, including SoulCalibur. My main fighting game friends who I play online with are either busy or don't have this yet, so I'm kind of out of things to do already. Just Quick Battles.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
That's really good, I'd say. My experience with this is the same I had with DoA. A lot of people who had never played against people jumping online and doing stuff that works against their pals. I'll be getting my losses in the next few weeks, I'm sure, and I look forward to it. :)

I really don't like the way Sieg feels in this (he's been my alt since SC2), so I'm thinking of learning Hilde. The musketeers outfit is way too powerful.

Oh I'm rocking the musketeer outfit every now and then in my online matches for sure. Hilde is great man, it's just against some players like Leixia they can put some awesome pressure on you making it hard to put some distance between the two of you, not to mention their quick attacks can interrupt your charge moves.

Ferrio

Banned
Think Tira will be my main, with Seigfried being backup.

Tossing Jin aside except for funsies. Way too much bitching, even though I can't even do his best and most abusable move (which might be OP). That and him being banned doesn't help the image.

Tira is great so far, when she's in Gloomy stance she's brutal as hell. I'm still getting used to her mixups, and spacing. Also I need to become more flexible on her stances, there's those rare times when she'll stance change when I'm not expecting it, and I need to be able to switch what I'm doing when that happens.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tira is great so far, when she's in Gloomy stance she's brutal as hell. I'm still getting used to her mixups, and spacing. Also I need to become more flexible on her stances, there's those rare times when she'll stance change when I'm not expecting it, and I need to be able to switch what I'm doing when that happens.
I went ahead and split her movelist in two, noting which moves are common and which ones lead to a possible switch. Also noticed something neat: until Tira actually makes the swing in 6A+B you can hit G to cancel.

Skilletor

Tira having a move that always switches stances is a really good change for her.

She's also got a cannon drill, which makes her pretty cool by default.

/cammy fan

sleepykyo

After long ass waiting I finally got the game.

It's cool. Very fast. Played a bit with Zwei, he's fun but slow and doesn't have good fuck off move from kissing range.

Made quick Jin in Creation.

Played some ranked, 7-4 at the end, not too bad.

Colosseum is a really cool addition.

I have a problem with online.

Anyone else have to wait really really long to find a match and gets often network error or "unable to find"? Anyone?

I have dmz on ps3 and T6 online works without a hitch.

Shame story mode was spoiled looks quite nice at first glance.

My problem is I can't stay in or host any player rooms. It's basically ranked or colosseum only.

Ferrio

Banned
As far as I can tell it's never guaranteed unless she's burning meter.

Ways I usually switch stances:

-4A/22A, 4K. If she switches to gloomy you can follow up with 3B for a big combo.
-66B, 66B A+B+K (switches), B+K, 66B
-Random 236K, A+B+K
-2A, B, A+B
-Using A+B (hold) after K.O.

I should list out all the moves that have mood changes and their chances. Guide has them all noted.

I need to get used to her B+K timing in Gloomy stance too. That GI->throw is brutal and it heals her.

Some of her other BE moves aren't guaranteed switches, though.

99% certain all her JS ones are.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ways I usually switch stances:

-4A/22A, 4K. If she switches to gloomy you and follow up with 3B for a big combo.
The odds on 4K seem to be so bad though. :/
-Random 236K, A+B+K
You can combo into this from 22A or JS 4A too.
-Using A+B (hold) after K.O.
Or taunt, you know, just because you can.
I should list out all the moves that have mood changes and their chances. Guide has them all noted.
Still waiting on mine.
99% certain all her JS ones are.
All two of them.

Ferrio

Banned
The odds on 4K seem to be so bad though. :/

It is. but after the A, you don't have much option. You can do another AA, 4K, maybe something else but that's pretty much it. 4K does a good amount of damage, and has that chance of changing stance. If you do change stance with it you do a shit load of damage continuing the combo with 3B (3B, 4A, 4K, 66B/666B or 3B, 4A, Critical Edge).

Well, there was a Dampierre code giveaway on Facebook. They released 10 codes per console two minutes ago and they were literally gone in seconds. Guess I should have used a keyboard for the PS3...

FinKL

There needs to be a tutorial for training mode.

...seriously, lol. It's SO good, but it's kind of convoluted, so I think some might miss all that you can do.

Was there a way to cycle through an opponent's FULL move list? I noticed I could practice punishing characters Primary moves it looks like.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Just got done with Story Mode.

I liked it despite all the negative feedback it was receiving, though I guess it helped I was going in with low expectations in the first place. The art cards were well drawn, and I generally ended up liking both Patty and Pyrrha.

I think it is obvious some parts were axed out due to time constraints though, such as Z.W.E.I's backstory and his beef with Dumas. Still, I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, I've been using and training with Mitsurugi a lot, but still struggling against Nightmare in Arcade Mode on hard, so I'm a bit wary going into Legendary Souls. Is it really as frustrating as people are making out?

GrayFoxPL

Hmmm... Is there a trick to doing EWGF brave edge with dj? I can do ewgf no problem but ABK does nothing. If I do inputs almost together nothing comes out, just bare crouch dash.
What am I doing wrong?

Ferrio

Banned
Hmmm... Is there a trick to doing EWGF brave edge with dj? I can do ewgf no problem but ABK does nothing. If I do inputs almost together nothing comes out, just bare crouch dash.
What am I doing wrong?

EWGF? What's the input? YOu talking about 623A?

Roto13

Anyway, I've been using and training with Mitsurugi a lot, but still struggling against Nightmare in Arcade Mode on hard, so I'm a bit wary going into Legendary Souls. Is it really as frustrating as people are making out?

Yes. The AI cheats. Give it a try if you want to see for yourself just how hateful it is, but there's really no need to put yourself through it. You win with either "cheap" tactics (cheap in that the AI doesn't know what to do about it for some reason, they wouldn't work against a human opponent :p), or luck after way too many losses.

sephi22

I beat legendary souls in 66 minutes mashing with Xiba, but missed the achievement because its for completing with brave edge, which I didnt do

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It is. but after the A, you don't have much option. You can do another AA, 4K, maybe something else but that's pretty much it. 4K does a good amount of damage, and has that chance of changing stance. If you do change stance with it you do a shit load of damage continuing the combo with 3B (3B, 4A, 4K, 66B/666B or 3B, 4A, Critical Edge).
Oh damn, just double checked, and apparently I was just taking advantage of the training dummy's suspect ability to block lows after a first hit.

mr_boo

Quick question from a SC noob....what are the exact properties of a Break Attack? I know for certain they don't take any meter to execute. But can an opponent fully block a Break Attack (where the Break Attack at least burns a lot of guard meter (for Guard Crush))? Or is the minimal some form of window opening for a quick attack (e.g, A,A)?

If it's the latter, that seems too good, especially as a set-up on wake-up opponents. If the draw back is a slow start-up time, not all of them seem that slow.

Skilletor

Quick question from a SC noob....what are the exact properties of a Break Attack? I know for certain they don't take any meter to execute. But can an opponent fully block a Break Attack (where the Break Attack at least burns a lot of guard meter (for Guard Crush))? Or is the minimal some form of window opening for a quick attack (e.g, A,A)?

If it's the latter, that seems too good, especially as a set-up on wake-up opponents. If the draw back is a slow start-up time, not all of them seem that slow.

Break attacks give you large frame advantage and usually do a lot of damage for guard crush.

Ferrio

Banned
Really? I try to dig up 8wayrun. Shit is driving me crazy.

I've poured over the guide tons of times never seen it. I don't have it here with me, but I don't know what that move is... but it's not his EWGF.

Combo vid right before this post has that move.. I don't know which it is.. Oh wait.. I know what it is

You can BE his 3A,B I believe. Undocumented.

I think....

Noaloha

Thanks - I assume based off your statement, a full block meter would allow you to fully block a Break Attack.

Try this out:

Take ZWEI into training mode and set the dummy to All Block.

Then do B+K(BraveEdged) followed immediately by a quarter-circle-back+B. Watch what happens. :]

mr_boo

Try this out:

Take ZWEI into training mode and set the dummy to All Block.

Then do B+K(BraveEdged) followed immediately by a quarter-circle-back+B. Watch what happens. :]
Thx - I was going test out later tonight once done with work ... should've qualified that I'm unable to test out right now. Ignore my previous questions. Thanks.

scosher

Thanks - I assume based off your statement, a full block meter would allow you to fully block a Break Attack.

You can fully block a Break Attack even if your guard meter is in the yellow or early red. It takes a deceiving amount to guard crush someone even when they're flashing red I find. It gets them to play more offensive regardless and hold block less.

I think the quicker BA's like Leixia's and Patroklos' are just frame traps. Follow-up AA's aren't guaranteed unless the opponent tries to counter immediately after your BA.

The longer animation BA's though can usually be followed by a guaranteed punisher. Pyrrha's 11AA break attack can be immediately followed by her 236B stab for example. But her break attack is ridiculously slow with shit range. It's essentially nerfed too since the same move used to be an unblockable with better range.

Top Bottom