• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

DasRaven

I just want my D1 rank and 50 win trohphy. Whats the easiest way to do it?

Since both these have to happen in ranked, the only easy way would be to try to find a boosting partner and choose a sparsely populated region.

Or you could, you know, just play ranked normally and eventually get it over time.

Chromax

But I keep getting matched against people higher rank and way higher skill than me, then I lose points when I lose said matches. :(

I just want to grab these 2 trophies before I leave in like 2 days where I'll be without internet capable of online play for 3 month. I just know when I come back everyone will be EVO level in ranked matches!

Ah well I'll keep trying.

scosher

But I keep getting matched against people higher rank and way higher skill than me, then I lose points when I lose said matches. :(

I just want to grab these 2 trophies before I leave in like 2 days where I'll be without internet capable of online play for 3 month. I just know when I come back everyone will be EVO level in ranked matches!

Ah well I'll keep trying.

You realize there's a setting to be matched against people at similar rank? Although that doesn't mean too much this early in the game since veterans can be at E or D rank.

kiryogi

Banned
Alright! Started the bloodyfrost grind when I left for work @ 2:05pm. . . Ill be home by midnight. Wonder how many battles ill have fought :D

fionel

I live in Japan and for the sake of trying the netcode I played someone in Canada on a 2 bar connection - I thought it was actually playable despite some obvious lag and was like cool, I can probably play some good players from NA this time. However when I played against a few other fellows on a 4 bar in Hong Kong or Singapore, the lag is actually worse. What gives?

sleepykyo

I live in Japan and for the sake of trying the netcode I played someone in Canada on a 2 bar connection - I thought it was actually playable despite some obvious lag and was like cool, I can probably play some good players from NA this time. However when I played against a few other fellows on a 4 bar in Hong Kong or Singapore, the lag is actually worse. What gives?

I have better connections against Japan than the east coast. Crazy theory, I'm starting to think the more data goes through the ocean lines and less through US mainland infrastructure the better.

Ferrio

Banned
So my first ranked battle I get up against another Tira player and they're C rank (oops forgot to set to same rank). I get whooped hard first two rounds. Then I come back. Last round it's really close, but I get him caught in a combo ending with CE... he rage quits. Then sends me a butt hurt message about spamming moves.

So lame.

So what does the "upload" on the ranked menu mean. What does uploading a replay do?

I just started playing yesterday, been playing Cervantes(been using him since the first game). I've only been playing casually the past games. :D His CE is pretty good, since you can combo off a throw. I'm practicing his Geo Da Ray Conclusion, but only can get it like every 5th try. I can't find any good video for him.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This.

God.

Damnit.

SSFIV did this too. I'm not usually a pessimist but FFS, gaming slowly neglecting local play and features or keeping them as an afterthought is the worst part of this gen by far. If Even fighting games are neglecting local multiplayer, you know shit is bad. At least SFxTK has the right idea when it comes to catering to the local multiplayer side of things, going as far as negotiating with first parties to figure out a way to bring gem loadouts with you (Tournament patch). But I bet they still don't have local replay functionality. NO EXCUSE.

It seems to be because Japanese developers still don't believe in local profile support. We've been over this before, sadly. Login for offline play is a standard feature in the console OS even. Notice for games like Halo, there's a built in system screen for 1-4 players to hit a button and log in as their gamertag (on Xbox) or a guest.

SF3 Online had local replay support - and even let you upload local replays to the same servers as replays created in an online match! But, it had proper profile login support for P1 and P2, using the built-in system level menu. It had an American producer and director...

I often think the problem with the Japanese teams is that playing on consoles is still unpopular for local play there. People would rather go to the arcade. So it's a huge blind spot in their mentality. Local versus setups, even in console exclusive games like SCV, are bare bones without features. It's silly, especially now that they're even getting the online part right, like SCV's army of online capabilities.

Guesong

The loss of Yun-Seong really hurts me bad.

I'm playing Aeon for now (hai Ferrio!), but dammit, he severely lacks options.

Tried Maxi...he'd be nice if half his moves didn't end with him going into some stupid "stance" where you cannot block before you exit out of it. >_>

vg260

So does this game used that annoying new Xbox 360 disc format?

The disc spins forever after start up and intermittently in the game despite being installed. I hate that. Full game installs was the reason I moved almost totally to the 360. Batman AC did this too at startup, but this seems to start spinning again.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Do you fine fellows have any idea how many unlockable weapons there are per character?

So...this was on my facebook newsfeed. I dunno what it is about Sonic fans but they certainly entertain me.

aQV5S.jpg

sleepykyo

So my first ranked battle I get up against another Tira player and they're C rank (oops forgot to set to same rank). I get whooped hard first two rounds. Then I come back. Last round it's really close, but I get him caught in a combo ending with CE... he rage quits. Then sends me a butt hurt message about spamming moves.

So lame.

So what does the "upload" on the ranked menu mean. What does uploading a replay do?

As far I can tell those matches show up under your SC profile if someone checks it. Someone mentioned how it is possible to export the files to the PS3 video section for offline viewing.

Subbed so I can steal Natsu tech later.

Ferrio

Banned
Me and kyo had some really good matches. Looks like the Coliseum you get a much better connection than player lobbies. Very odd. Going to upload 2 matches from our games.

Ok so game question. What is the MO as far as Ukemi amd ground game? It's like some characters have moves that keep you on the ground and you can't defend against. I understand that certain moves have stun properties but not every big hit should leave you on the ground long enough for someone to pull of a ridiculous combo. I'm just frustrated. As an Ivy user, I'm going to keep you in that middle range as hard as I can and it makes me rage when someone gets in and even trying to roll or guard gives me no avail. Also, has anyone gotten down Just Guard? I understand you have to do it as the attack hit you but everytime I try it, I either get hit or just block. I'm trying to use this because GI is a joke in this game.

Ferrio

Banned
Ok so game question. What is the MO as far as Ukemi amd ground game? It's like some characters have moves that keep you on the ground and you can't defend against. I understand that certain moves have stun properties but not every big hit should leave you on the ground long enough for someone to pull of a ridiculous combo. I'm just frustrated. As an Ivy user, I'm going to keep you in that middle range as hard as I can and it makes me rage when someone gets in and even trying to roll or guard gives me no avail. Also, has anyone gotten down Just Guard? I understand you have to do it as the attack hit you but everytime I try it, I either get hit or just block. I'm trying to use this because GI is a joke in this game.

Unless it's a true combo there's always ways to get outta it. Either Ukemi to the correct side, or just sitting tight with G. Just can't get caught up in tech traps.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm trying to use this because GI is a joke in this game.

Sorry, GI isn't a joke. If you can GI a move/string on reaction while your opponent has no meter, you get a FREE combo pretty much. When have you ever had a GI into FREE damage in the SOULCALIBUR series (normal GI's not special property ones)?

Yes it's situational, but this situation occurs way more often than not.

The mind game risk/reward for re-GI is greater too. If they DO have meter, you can bait them to Re-GI have them waste their meter AND hit them after? Shit, sounds like some solid/non braindead gameplay to me. <3

Another rare but fun tactical situation for GI is on air moves. If you GI an air move the opponent takes most of the damage instead once they hit the ground. Not as practical as a regular GI for a combo, but I have won matches on GI a few times.

Sorry, GI isn't a joke. If you can GI a move/string on reaction while your opponent has no meter, you get a FREE combo pretty much. When have you ever had a GI into FREE damage in the SOULCALIBUR series (normal GI's not special property ones)?

Yes it's situational, but this situation occurs way more often than not.

The mind game risk/reward for re-GI is greater too. If they DO have meter, you can bait them to Re-GI have them waste their meter AND hit them after? Shit, sounds like some solid/non braindead gameplay to me. <3

The reason why I say GI is a joke is because it takes meter to do so now. That same meter to GI can be better used to BE a move in a combo and do some extra damage. I'm using Ivy as my example when I say that as well.

hteng

Banned
i would not reserve my meter for BE if i'm in a bind and being forced to a corner, GI is not a joke, it has it's uses, if you know your opponent is overextending their attacks then it's a good way to punish them for it.

meter is not that big of a concern when you get plenty after the 2nd round and onwards.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The reason why I say GI is a joke is because it takes meter to do so now. That same meter to GI can be better used to BE a move in a combo and do some extra damage. I'm using Ivy as my example when I say that as well.

Ah, it differs per person/character of course. I use Yoshimitsu. My BE moves suck. lol.

sleepykyo

So here's the PSN matches between me and SleepyKyo. I tried to pick matches that were close.

Tira (ferrio) vs Pyhrra (SleepyKyo/DojiKyo). The endings to round 1 and 3 are awesome in this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObS1M7yo8TY

Tira (ferrio) vs Pyhrra (SleepyKyo/DojiKyo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrFiMGTgP_k

Any criticism would be nice. I know a lot of places I fucked up, but any pointers would be cool.

Either of Pyhrra's 4A follow ups can be interrupted by a quick attack. Looking at that, I was really relying on that a lot for step.

Top Bottom