• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Noaloha

Permanently mashing the shit out of either the A or B button whenever you're in standing guard.

Assuming you're hammering the correct button, is this a legit tactic for auto-teching throws?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Permanently mashing the shit out of either the A or B button whenever you're in standing guard.

Assuming you're hammering the correct button, is this a legit tactic for auto-teching throws?
Dunno why buffering a throw break wouldn't be legit. You still have to guess right. Also kinda limits your ability to move or do anything else but stand and guard so you have a major tradeoff there.

Alx

Sorry to ask questions about the basics of the game, but since the manual won't help me...
I was wondering how a certain special move worked, that is when an opponent launches a Critical Edge just after what looks like a Guard Impact (green bubble). Is it the critical edge move itself that involves an auto-GI, or does the player need to input the CE command just after the GI ? (it sounds impossible to do at my level...).

Sorry to ask questions about the basics of the game, but since the manual won't help me...
I was wondering how a certain special move worked, that is when an opponent launches a Critical Edge just after what looks like a Guard Impact (green bubble). Is it the critical edge move itself that involves an auto-GI, or does the player need to input the CE command just after the GI ? (it sounds impossible to do at my level...).

Certain characters, like Xiba and Nightmare, have Critical Edge attacks that GI automatically before the move comes out. That's probably what you're seeing.

Still trying to get better with Alpha Pat, getting some of the JF attacks down now but not all of them. If anyone wants to do some matches let me know, my tag's AlphaDragoon02 on PSN.

Ferrio

Banned
Either of Pyhrra's 4A follow ups can be interrupted by a quick attack. Looking at that, I was really relying on that a lot for step.

Hrmm looked up the attack. 4A is at -8, which means there's nothing I can do to interrupt the next attacks I believe. Not sure how the impact / disadvantage works with chains....

Guess I'll have to test.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The reason why I say GI is a joke is because it takes meter to do so now. That same meter to GI can be better used to BE a move in a combo and do some extra damage. I'm using Ivy as my example when I say that as well.

My friend GI's with Xiba and Siegfried if he has 2 bars pretty consistently. Its far from a joke or useless. Half bar to a 60 percent combo and a free mixup is pretty sweet to me. I do prefer using my meter for BE's but generally I'll almost always be fully loaded by the 3rd so i rarely have to choose.

alstein

Hrmm looked up the attack. 4A is at -8, which means there's nothing I can do to interrupt the next attacks I believe. Not sure how the impact / disadvantage works with chains....

Guess I'll have to test.

Depends how much startup those followups have.

The -8 is if she doesn't followup.

My friend GI's with Xiba and Siegfried if he has 2 bars pretty consistently. Its far from a joke or useless. Half bar to a 60 percent combo and a free mixup is pretty sweet to me. I do prefer using my meter for BE's but generally I'll almost always be fully loaded by the 3rd so i rarely have to choose.

There you go. Ivy isn't the type of character you can convert a full damaging combo off of a GI because that's not how she plays. Like I said before, I'd rather save the meter for a CE or BE.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
There you go. Ivy isn't the type of character you can convert a full damaging combo off of a GI because that's not how she plays. Like I said before, I'd rather save the meter for a CE or BE.

I play Pat and i hardly use it too but Id hardly be ready to declare it a feature useless across the board. The few times I do though (end of the round) Its worked out. Even if you cant convert it to huge damage If you're on oki with half a bar and no decent options you can GI and ring someone out or finish them off. Its a pretty damn useful defensive options compared to things you lose entire bars for in other games.

frequency

So for casual fans of this series, is this game a buy?

It depends what you come to SC for.
Single player is lacking. Combat feels significantly different to me.

There's still fun to be had though.

If single player isn't what you want, find some videos to see how the combat looks.
People tell me it's the same as 1-3, but I feel it's a lot faster and way more hectic. Too much emphasis on offense.

For me, this game is missing the core elements of what I want from a SC. But I still put like 40 hours in. So that must mean something.
But had I known what I know now, I would've waited for a price drop.

Noaloha

Online ranked match performance indicators run through the sequence E5, E4, E3 [...] A2, A1 I believe.

Your profile's overall game progress climbs from Lv1 up to Lv99.

vg260

So does this game used that annoying new Xbox 360 disc format?

The disc spins forever after start up and intermittently in the game despite being installed. I hate that. Full game installs was the reason I moved almost totally to the 360. Batman AC did this too at startup, but this seems to start spinning again.

Anyone?

I'm wanting to know if it's the game itself or my machine is wonky.

the offline modes are pretty shallow with a capital S,

if you have friends to play VS or online = buy

if you want to have fun in offline modes = eh maybe wait for price drop

==============

I am loving how Astaroth can verify his EX meter with his EX extandable throws eh eh best way to use EX meter

Noaloha

I do have a 360 and I also hear many things about the install not working properly.

By which I mean, I hear the damn disc sputtering about in the tray every so often even though all the disc data is installed.

vg260

I do have a 360 and I also hear many things about the install not working properly.

By which I mean, I hear the damn disc sputtering about in the tray every so often even though all the disc data is installed.

Grrr. ...Thanks

Hope this gets patched somehow.

Maybe it's already been asked, but how does this compare to other entries in the series?

Considering that for me Soul Calibur = Dreamcast version (despite having played all of them, always with the feeling that something was missing), will I enjoy it or will nostalgia (and the far better art direction of SC1) kill it for me?

I thought Soul Blade/Edge was available for download as a PSone Classic.... but I was wrong.
bummer :(

There's SC 1 on XBLA.

Skilletor

Maybe it's already been asked, but how does this compare to other entries in the series?

Considering that for me Soul Calibur = Dreamcast version (despite having played all of them, always with the feeling that something was missing), will I enjoy it or will nostalgia (and the far better art direction of SC1) kill it for me?

There's SC 1 on XBLA.

Depends on what you want from the series. I've been a huge fan and think this is going to end up being the best one yet.

That being said, nothing beats nostalgia.

jmdajr

There's SC 1 on XBLA.

Yeah I know..but I just wanted to play something on PSP. And they are usually just 6 bucks.

Depends on what you want from the series. I've been a huge fan and think this is going to end up being the best one yet.

That being said, nothing beats nostalgia.

What I loved from SC 1, apart from the great art direction, stages, etc., was its fast-paced yet tactical gameplay. And everytime a new episode came around, I always felt like it was too slow, compared to the Dreamcast version.

Maybe it's just me, who knows. And I'm not a fan of meters/ultras/etc.

njean777

What I loved from SC 1, apart from the great art direction, stages, etc., was its fast-paced yet tactical gameplay. And everytime a new episode came around, I always felt like it was too slow, compared to the Dreamcast version.

Really? I always felt 2 was the fastest in the series, I could be wrong...

Skilletor

SC1 still feels the fastest. This is closer in speed/feel to SC2 or SC3.

sleepykyo

Depends how much startup those followups have.

The -8 is if she doesn't followup.

I should be defined it as does Tira anything in Natsu's AA league?

When I was in training Natsu's A interrupts the B follow up at close range. At the edge of 4A, the B followup wins. The A follow up. Well most people can see it anyway. Come to think of it, Natsu's A might not have been the best choice given it's high speed.

maomaoIYP

How casual are you? As a casual fan myself I honestly cannot recommend buying it. Single player is lacking, with the increased speed and super AI, it's impossible for me to play. Online depends on how many people near you have the game. I can only get 3 bar connections to players in japan, who are way too damn good. I have the most fun when I play dress up with the creation mode.

Sullichin

Not sure you need to spend $60 on it. It's an incremental upgrade from SC4. It looks nicer, is faster, and has better netcode. If you want it mostly for single player, I think this has one of the worst single player offerings in the series. The story is atrocious (this mode should not exist) and doesn't let you choose your characters. The AI gets unnaturally good/cheap. Arcade mode is very slim with 6 stages, no boss or endings. Quick Battle provides an endless stream of AI to fight but the AI gets too fucking good for it to really be fun for me to play this mode. Training mode on the other hand is the best it's ever been. CAS is improved.

I prefer to play online, I'm doing pretty decently since yoshimitsu is basically the same from 4, and there's lots of new players. Fighting against other players is great, and of course that's what this game is all about. I love that, but fighting against the AI is little more than a chore for me.

Skilletor

Basically:

If you care about the core of a fighting game and fighting against other people. Buy it now. It's amazing.

If you care about single player content. Wait for a price drop.

frequency

As a person who plays SC casually (though I am a big fan), fighting feels like a downgrade for me.

So the above is not necessarily true.
Seems to be true for the competitive core fighter people though.

Note: I am one of those freaks who really really enjoyed SC4 though.

Sullichin

As a person who plays SC casually (though I am a big fan), fighting feels like a downgrade for me.

I really enjoyed SC4 as well. I'm still a bit sour about the lack of GI, the new system is too difficult/cumbersome for me. The fighting is definitely more fluid, but I haven't played enough to tell if it's definitely better. I also lived with my friends when I played SCIV, and could play that shit with friends all day. Not the case here unfortunately. So as improved as it may be I won't have the same experience fighting silly CAS with my friends in the same room all the time. I still bought this day 1 because i love SC4 so much. But I'm not playing it much outside of a few random matches online.

Skilletor

You don't care about fighting against other people. For me, a fighting game is fighting other people. If that's what you care about, jump in.

Edit: Also, a lot of people really enjoyed SC4. This isn't a competition. I don't like the thinking that if you hate X, then you'll like Y. SC4 was great. So is SC5.

frequency

You don't care about fighting against other people. For me, a fighting game is fighting other people. If that's what you care about, jump in.

I was more addressing the "core of a fighting game" part. I didn't connect the two as a single thought.
I misunderstood. Sorry.

EDIT: I mentioned SC4 because a lot of people seem to say it was the worst in the series. I don't agree.

In any case, SC5 is still a good game. Even with all my whining, I've spent many hours with this game and intend to spend many more. I'm even doing a bit of online, which I never do.
Casuals who are into online play might want to wait a bit for the ranks to settle though. Right now, I'm constantly running into people who are way too good to be E rank.

Skilletor

I was more addressing the "core of a fighting game" part. I didn't connect the two as a single thought.
I misunderstood. Sorry.

:)

For me, that's why fighting games are made. The online is amazing, the gameplay is awesome, and there's no better time to get online and fight people than at launch.

I mentioned SC4 because a lot of people seem to say it was the worst in the series. I don't agree.

Most fans think SC3 the worst in the series, if you're talking gameplay, at least.

It's an incremental upgrade from SC4.
If casual options are the focus here, then that's fine. But this part is patently false. I've said it before but the system changes in SCV are the biggest jump in a sequel since SoulEdge -> Soulcalibur.

In terms of move speed, not much has changed from SC4. Movement speed is below SC2 but higher than SC4. The main thing is that frames on block and hit are the best they've been since SC1. So good players can build an offensive momentum and it makes it seem as if the moves are faster because sitting on the block button won't help you get out and if you don't have meter you can't GI.

Most fans think SC3 the worst in the series, if you're talking gameplay, at least.
It's a shame we never got SC3AE or SC4BD on home consoles or the rankings would look much different, IMO.

To me it goes:
SC1 > SC2 > SC4 > SC3

But if you swap out the last two with their final versions it's more like:
SC3AE > SC4BD > SC1 > SC2.

I think SC5 is going to be the best in the end either way.

hamchan

Thanks for the answers everyone.

I quite liked past entries single player so it's disappointing to hear how bad it is. It's what I used to play hours on end in SC2 and 3.

I like to dabble in the online in fighting games but often get frustrated by lag or other issues, and I've never played a Soul game very competitively before. Also I'm in Australia so I don't really know how many local, non that serious, players there are. Unless I can somehow vs overseas players online with no lag I don't think I'll play a lot of it.

Anyways, I'm still considering it because my local GAME has a trade in deal where you can trade in a PS3 version of Skyrim and get this game for $28. Seems like a good deal even with all the issues in the game?

Noaloha

I think there's possibly a wider level on which the two games, SCIV and SCV, could be compared though. Simple personal ability (and even limitations) can have a profound effect on things. A moderate increase in playspeed will naturally demand more from a person's brain-speed and could tip the experience from challenging-but-fun to challenging-and-frustrating. A new inclusion of 2QCF-supers might exclude an important mild comeback/punish option from a player who's crap at double-quarters on an xbox dpad. Poor spatial awareness might make it challenging to get used to a new meter mechanic where one eye should be on two different gauges during the fight. And other for example and etcs, etc.

I could see people who *do* care about fighting others (albeit on a low-skill level, perhaps friends that pop around locally) finding the transition from SCIV to SCV to be a tricky one.

Top Bottom