• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Source] Mod Megathread

Minerva Metastasis is gold. Research and Development is good, except for the part where you have to drive Mr. Whirly. Fuck that part. Fuck it. Worst vehicle ever. I applaud the effort though.

When is that graphical update coming for Dear Esther? I'm waiting for that to come out before I play it.

bee

played all but one, that's a very nice list though as always, some really great mods in there

Dachande

Hey, cool, I've not heard of Dangerous World, but it looks pretty good. Shall give that a try when I get back to my main PC.

I reckon it's worth noting that Minerva is so good that Valve actually hired the guy to work for them not too long ago.

Sibylus

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Minerva Metastasis is gold. Research and Development is good, except for the part where you have to drive Mr. Whirly. Fuck that part. Fuck it. Worst vehicle ever. I applaud the effort though.

When is that graphical update coming for Dear Esther? I'm waiting for that to come out before I play it.
Hell yeah, Minerva's still my favourite SP mod, loved it from start to finish (and was not surprised at all when Valve scooped up the creator). I agree on the latter parts of R&D, cutting the vehicle or replacing it with a proper coded vehicle (like the airboat, buggy, or Charger) would have made a substantial improvement.

Dear Esther: I don't think a date has been set, but judging from the progress screenshots a lot has been done.

002.jpg

007.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
CryptiK said:
need more source single player mods that aren't based around Half Life
That seems to be the prevailing theme among single player Source mods, but I'm open to suggestions.

CryptiK

Botolf said:
That seems to be the prevailing theme among single player Source mods, but I'm open to suggestions.
yeah unfortunately that's the problem if its not based around Half Life the chance of it being finished is low :( I'll have a look and see if i can find a good mod that isn't Half Life based

This seems fairly interesting

Post Script

also

Flesh

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
CryptiK said:
yeah unfortunately that's the problem if its not based around Half Life the chance of it being finished is low :( I'll have a look and see if i can find a good mod that isn't Half Life based

This seems fairly interesting Post Script

It's also been out the longest and has several GotYs in single player design to back it up.

Sibylus

Banned
CryptiK said:

This seems fairly interesting Post Script
Played PostScript a few days ago. While I found the story to be somewhat intriguing, the world design was very poor and sparse, it really brought the whole package down quite a bit. I wonder how much improvement the next portions of the mod will see.

Edit: Haven't played Flesh yet, will give that a go soon.

CryptiK

Botolf said:
Played PostScript a few days ago. While I found the story to be somewhat intriguing, the world design was very poor and sparse, it really brought the whole package down quite a bit. I wonder how much improvement the next portions of the mod will see.
Well since I like to see things done with the source engine besides just FPS you think you might put Half Life Wars on the list? Its still in the beta's but it so maybe a sub section in the coming soon area Betas?

Dachande

Oh no way, Post Script is terrible. Really bland, unimaginative and barebones-basic level design, backed up by dreadful writing. The only neat part in it is where you have to smash a window with a brick, but that's literally it.

Sibylus

Banned
CryptiK said:
Well since I like to see things done with the source engine besides just FPS you think you might put Half Life Wars on the list? Its still in the beta's but it so maybe a sub section in the coming soon area Betas?
Yeah, Half Life Wars was really neat (especially seeing all the game assets and NPCs from that height). I'll slot it into Coming Soon.

Roquentin

Thanks for the info. It looks like I've missed some mods!

I think it would be better to have one mod use less space. For example, like this:

Minerva Metastasis - Download
Rating: 9.6/10
Fighting & Puzzles
Half-Life Universe

The true method of knowledge is experiment. So, strapped to the underside of a stolen Combine helicopter, you're part of my latest scientific investigation. Objective: To infiltrate and observe this peculiar little island a few miles off shore, its heart burrowed out by our ever-loving benefactors...

I know that means more work for you Botolf, but it would make the OP easier to read.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Thank you for this. I played Minerva when it first came out but it looks like a lot of other people have been busy at work. Some look pretty interesting.

Sibylus

Banned
BiasedGamer said:
Thanks for the info. It looks like I've missed some mods!

I think it would be better to have one mod use less space. For example, like this:

Minerva Metastasis - Download
Rating: 9.6/10
Fighting & Puzzles
Half-Life Universe

The true method of knowledge is experiment. So, strapped to the underside of a stolen Combine helicopter, you're part of my latest scientific investigation. Objective: To infiltrate and observe this peculiar little island a few miles off shore, its heart burrowed out by our ever-loving benefactors...

I know that means more work for you Botolf, but it would make the OP easier to read.
Good idea, shouldn't take too long to change when I have the images in the OP.

Inkwell

Banned
I was just thinking that there should be an updated thread about good mods. Specifically with HL2.

I have 2 mods to add. The first is Dreamball. It's a marble madness type game.

The second is Kreedz Climbing. It's a multiplayer platformer.

Sibylus

Banned
I'll add some more mods and some upcoming ones after a bit of sleep, updated the SP and MP posts with the tidier style.

Rahk

Inkwell said:
I was just thinking that there should be an updated thread about good mods. Specifically with HL2.

I have 2 mods to add. The first is Dreamball. It's a marble madness type game.

The second is Kreedz Climbing. It's a multiplayer platformer.
Thank you!

I saw the Kreedz Climbing trailer when it was advertised on Steam but figured I'd wait for the new release and forgot about it. Time to download.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MrMister said:
Seriously, add this right now, I even voted for it in the ModDB Mod of The Year awards.

Graphics are cool, but try as I might the fun play still feels so stuck in the late 90s to me. It's weird I know, but I wish I liked it more. :(

Neotokyo is the shiznit though. Probably my most played game of the 2nd half of this year, and the only game I played more was WoW because I got the expansion for X-mas and played a ton from Jan-April getting to the cap and messing around. I still play Tokyo like 4 or 5 times a week it seems!

Inkwell

Banned
CryptiK said:

This seems fairly interesting

Post Script

also

Flesh
I tried Post Script, but I found the the level design/mapping to be a bit weak. The general idea is really interesting though.

I literally just finished playing through Flesh and thought it was quite awesome. It's nowhere near perfect, but I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere, level design, and voice acting were well done. The controls bothered me a little. You can't strafe. A & D are used to turn left and right. It's in 3rd person and you don't need to aim at anything (no combat). I would have liked to be able to look around/aim the flashlight with the mouse. The mod reminded of Penumbra with touches of Silent Hill and Resident Evil.

I really disliked the radiator mods. The star one was adorable but the box one was just annoying. I didn't get anything from the experience until I read the notes. And even then I was like wtf were you thinking.
Tet said:
Suicide Survival
No Suicide Survival? She's a bit underdeveloped, but a great multiplayer mod.
I don't get that game. The aiming and limited ammo just frustrated me. It's nothing much more than a novel distraction for me.

Sibylus

Banned
Radiator's gameplay was iffy at times, but I liked the little stories the creator was able to tell, the abstraction of the environments, etc. I got a lot out of it, and it was very thought provoking. Will look forward to the next instalments.

Tet said:
Suicide Survival
No Suicide Survival? She's a bit underdeveloped, but a great multiplayer mod.
Dunno, maybe if it had more modes, maps, etc. Seems kinda bare-bones (especially when compared to the other multi mods up there).

Awesome thread Botolf. I've played a few of these based on your previous posts. I still have to check out Dear Esther.

I replayed Portal last week and it had me wondering what were considered some of the best mods that utilised the portal gun. Any recommendations?

Sibylus

Banned
Spotless Mind said:
Awesome thread Botolf. I've played a few of these based on your previous posts. I still have to check out Dear Esther.

I replayed Portal last week and it had me wondering what were considered some of the best mods that utilised the portal gun. Any recommendations?
I haven't played many Portal mods, unfortunately. Probably should start digging around!

Playing the HL2 maps in Portal was kinda cool:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-2-reality-decay

Sibylus

Banned
Source games, so those count too! We can probably limit the selection to the absolute best, though (Saving space, 'n all).

Also, there's a few Upcoming Mods in post #3 now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I recommend Suicide Blitz, Night Terror and Death Aboard for L4D campaigns. Dam It is also good.

The M.O.B

I wish more people would play some of these multiplayer mods. I have played each one in the OP, and usually after about 2-3 months the servers are barren.

Top Bottom