• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Source] Mod Megathread

Long ago I played Riot Act and Rock24 and both of them seriously underwhelmed me.

Minerva is amazing, though. As is Curse. If you play anything in this topic, make it those two.

Inkwell

Banned
I was at moddb earlier when I remembered this thread. I have two more mods to post.

The first is a bit old, as it was released in 2007. It's called Flipside. It's a short, but interesting side-scrolling platformer with an interesting art style.

My second suggestion is a bit newer and a bit more conventional. It's called Calamity. It may not be very original, but it is a solid HL2 mod. It was somewhat difficult at some points though.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
Do the some of these require half life 2 or will any source game do. I only have L4D1 and TF2 but some of the half life mods look fun.

Inkwell

Banned
kamspy said:
I'm stuck in the third room on R&D....

any tips?
I don't remember the progression of the mod very well. Do you mean the outside area or the conveyor room?

ApopkaATM said:
Do the some of these require half life 2 or will any source game do. I only have L4D1 and TF2 but some of the half life mods look fun.
I don't think you can play any mods that use Half-Life 2 assets. Something like Dreamball can played as long as you have any Source game installed.

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
Inkwell said:
I don't remember the progression of the mod very well. Do you mean the outside area or the conveyor room?

I don't think you can play any mods that use Half-Life 2 assets. Something like Dreamball can played as long as you have any Source game installed.
I knew I should have double dipped on the orange box during that steam sale

vehn

GoldandBlue said:
How many of these Multi-player ones have an active community? I tried NeoTokyo and every server is empty.

that sucks. Game came out pretty recently too. Must suck to work on a mod for a few years only to have nobody play it after a few months

Sibylus

Banned
Inkwell said:
I was at moddb earlier when I remembered this thread. I have two more mods to post.

The first is a bit old, as it was released in 2007. It's called Flipside. It's a short, but interesting side-scrolling platformer with an interesting art style.

My second suggestion is a bit newer and a bit more conventional. It's called Calamity. It may not be very original, but it is a solid HL2 mod. It was somewhat difficult at some points though.
Played both (didn't get far in Flipside, though), will add them today.

I added Chivalry and Empires a few days ago to Multiplayer.

Sibylus

Banned
Some brand new PR for Curse Episode II came out today:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/curse/news/the-absolutely-definitely-wrong-end-of-the-dimension-gate

ep2_shot_001.jpg

Inkwell

Banned

kamspy

Sorry for not being specific.

I'm stuck in the outside 'alley'(?) area when you first walk out of the first couple warehouse rooms.

There seems to be a puzzle to get an elevator working, but there are a good 7-8 combine soldiers shooting my unarmed ass. I have one ant lion when I get there but he goes down pretty quick, then I'm relegated to throwing spore balls at them in discontent.

Inkwell

Banned
If I remember correctly, look at the elevator mechanism. It should be missing something.

And, being more specific and spoilery:

There's a gear missing from the elevator mechanism. You can find a spare one somewhere in the general area. I believe it is on another similar mechanism.

Ventrue

Botolf said:
Some brand new PR for Curse Episode II came out today:
That looks awesome, but... was I missing something when I played the first one? It looked great but the gameplay seemed really boring to me. The combat had no challenge, the levels were all the same and I could never figure out if I was supposed to go through a portal or stick around and ferret out more puzzles. The puzzles never seemed to lead to much, so why bother?

Sibylus

Banned
There wasn't much direction, but I liked the fighting, the enemies, the locations, etc. It didn't take me very long to finish episode one so nothing really overstayed its welcome.

I'm trying to remember if I fought the worm-demon or not. I know I fought both fast and slow mummies, and the archer dudes, but can't recall if I ever encountered the demon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like the idea being City17 but I'm suspicious it will turn into a bloated action mod thats far too focused on graphical effects than actual gameplay. The fact they're not really using an original setting will make any gameplay quirks stand out more against the phenominal HL2 saga, as will any art direction problems regardless of any technical edge.

Anyway, Minerva Metastasis and Research & Development are my two picks for the best singleplayer HL2 mods out there. So good they might as well be used as encouragement for buying the game in the first place (not that it needs anymore).

Excellent thread. After having finally bought the Orange box during the steam sale I'll give some of the single player mods a look see. Unfortunately due to a relatively small online community in Australia only the very biggest multiplayer garner a decent following which is a great shame, as some of the multiplayer mods look fantastic.

Dragmire

Botolf said:
Hidden Source - Download
Rating: 9.3/10
Fighting

In "The Hidden", players choose the role of either a near invisible killer, Subject 617, or one member of an Intercept squad who have to capture him, I.R.I.S. In the simple but challenging gameplay of an 'one against all'? mode, Subject 617 creeps/sneaks through the maps armed only with a knife and three pipe bombs. The IRIS team carry a selection of weaponry, fully customisable at round start, from F2000 assault rifles through to shotguns or sub machine guns as well as a pistol as a secondary weapon. However, they can hardly see Subject 617 as, just like the 'Predator', only the outline of his silhouette is visible. On top of that the Hidden also moves a little faster and has many abilites such as pouncing, wall grabbing, corpse pinning and the fatal pigsticker attack. Therefore co-operation is necessary for I.R.I.S. if they wish to prevail (if they dont want to become the prey/victim themselves).

14y1hyx.jpg
34yb1w1.jpg
29ks1z6.jpg
I really like this one. It's a great idea and pretty well done but few people play it. The ones that do are so hardcore that the game is hard to play.

Dragmire said:
I really like this one. It's a great idea and pretty well done but few people play it. The ones that do are so hardcore that the game is hard to play.
Yeah, it sucks that some of these multi-player games are either just empty or are only full with the hardcore players. Maybe something should try to be set up here. Like choosing one of the games and setting up a day for people on GAF to play together on a server to try it out.

Dachande

°°ToMmY°° said:
what's needed to play these mods?

steam, half life 2, etc?

Steam always, Half Life 2 for anything using HL2 assets (which is 99% of them), and occasionally Episode 2 as well. A total conversion will require you to own at least one Source-based game.

Macmanus

This is a great thread, but why are all the single player mods rated between 7.8 and 9.9? Are you going by the IGN grading system or did you simply list the best of the best? (I'm just gonna assume the latter for now.)

Sibylus

Banned
EatChildren said:
I like the idea being City17 but I'm suspicious it will turn into a bloated action mod thats far too focused on graphical effects than actual gameplay. The fact they're not really using an original setting will make any gameplay quirks stand out more against the phenominal HL2 saga, as will any art direction problems regardless of any technical edge.

Anyway, Minerva Metastasis and Research & Development are my two picks for the best singleplayer HL2 mods out there. So good they might as well be used as encouragement for buying the game in the first place (not that it needs anymore).
I agree, it certainly looks good and looks to have some nifty graphical improvements, but I also worry about how it will play. Will it have puzzles and some vistas, or will it just be endless fighting with dozens of enemies. Being set in City 17, it'll certainly draw comparisons to the Half-Life 2 games.

GoldandBlue said:
Yeah, it sucks that some of these multi-player games are either just empty or are only full with the hardcore players. Maybe something should try to be set up here. Like choosing one of the games and setting up a day for people on GAF to play together on a server to try it out.
I'm up for this, sounds like fun. What say you, Gaf?

Macmanus said:
This is a great thread, but why are all the single player mods rated between 7.8 and 9.9? Are you going by the IGN grading system or did you simply list the best of the best? (I'm just gonna assume the latter for now.)
Listed the best and also included the Moddb user ratings (can be found on the main modpage).

Roquentin

Just played Radiator - very interesting. Too bad getting alternative ending in the second episode is so hard. I'll definitely check out 1-3 when it comes out.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
GoldandBlue said:
lol I'm down for it. Maybe make a list for people who are interested in playing and get a date?

Yep i would also like to participate if possible however i am worried about my pings being too high considering i am from chile.

Sibylus

Banned
Anybody want to play Empires or something today? How does 5 PM Pacific sound? (about 2.5 hours from now)

Re: Radiator: Yes,
so many boxes to lug around, so much explosive potential, but it was worth it. The "unrepressable" memory at the end was a nice touch.

Sibylus

Banned
Ack, looking at the download for Empires and it's nearly a GB. That could take a while on a lot of people's connections.

Let's play some Synergy today instead. If you have the Half-Life 2 games installed, it should be a fairly small download for Synergy.

5:00 PM Pacific

Majmun

Oh god, this thread is awesome. Half Life 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I really want to play these mods.

I've downloaded the the Orange Box from steam. Can I still play the mods somehow? I'm kind of new with mods...

And Half Life 2 won't boot somehow. Episode 1, 2 and Portal work perfectly fine, though. Can I still play the mods?

Sibylus

Banned
Yeah, we'll have to set a date further ahead of time for the bigger-sized mods.

Synergy @ 5:00 PM Pacific Time
* Make sure Half-Life 2 is installed

• Chinner
  • Inkwell

Majmun

Ok, just downloaded the Minerva mod and I can play it! Steam just booted it up and it loads fine.

Bookmarking this thread hard.

Sibylus

Banned
Second said:
Oh god, this thread is awesome. Half Life 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I really want to play these mods.

I've downloaded the the Orange Box from steam. Can I still play the mods somehow? I'm kind of new with mods...

And Half Life 2 won't boot somehow. Episode 1, 2 and Portal work perfectly fine, though. Can I still play the mods?
Each mod has its own folder in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods, so if the mod is distributed in a .zip or some other type of archive, you extract the folder into the folder above and restart Steam. Some mods are hosted on Steam's servers, like Synergy. Just look in the Steam store.

Some mods may have problems if you don't launch the game they're based off of first, but Synergy might not have such a problem (especially if you mount content from the episodes AND Half-Life 2).

Sibylus

Banned
* Set your character model, gfx settings, etc, in Options
* Make sure Half-Life 2 is mounted in the Game List
http://i47.tinypic.com/10z2vx0.png

* "cl_drawhud 0" into your console if you want to play without a hud (to increase difficulty, also without quotation marks)

* Playlist: Half-Life 2 campaign, some user maps if we tire of that.
* If you don't have me on your friendlist, visit this page and add me.

• Chinner
  • Inkwell

35 minutes to go.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Awesome thread, I missed it when it first went up. I'll be going through these mods for sure! Thanks OP!

Sibylus

Banned
* Set your character model, gfx settings, etc, in Options
* Make sure Half-Life 2 is mounted in the Game List
http://i47.tinypic.com/10z2vx0.png

* "cl_drawhud 0" into your console if you want to play without a hud (to increase difficulty, also without quotation marks)

* Playlist: Half-Life 2 campaign, some user maps if we tire of that.
* If you don't have me on your friendlist, visit this page and add me.

• Chinner
  • Inkwell
  • OatmealMu
  • Blizzard (possible)
  • Botolf

10 minutes to go.

Top Bottom