• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park RPG: First Screenshot And Combat Dev Diary

Khezu

Me too. If they had to be themed I would have preferred they used the super hero personas (The Coon, Mysterion, etc). I'll stick probably pick it up on day 1 though.

That would have been neat.

The coon and mysterion will probably have cameos though, maybe even companions.

Wallach

Oh snap!

Shitting on your original fans is such a Bioware thing too. Guess Obsidian is full of pale basement virgins then? Who else could have coded NW2?

What's funny is that he goes from that, to later throwing an "us gamers" type comment in the whole "mash a button and something funny happens" joke. Between that and his inability to control what his eyeballs were pointed at it was just kind of an uncomfortable video all around.

Derrick01

Banned
Haha, did a lead designer from Obsidian really call anyone who understands how to play Neverwinter Nights 2 a "pale basement virgin"? Yikes.

You could see the shame in his eyes and hear him struggle to say it at first though. Maybe it's closer to the truth for him than he wanted it to be :p

Emitan

I find it funny that people are getting their panties in a twist over the basement virgins thing but take up the PC Gaming Master Race thing in stride.

DarkKyo

Oh my god I love it already. If the animation looks as crisp and inspired as it does in the show then it's going to be amazing.

duckroll

What's funny is that he goes from that, to later throwing an "us gamers" type comment in the whole "mash a button and something funny happens" joke. Between that and his inability to control what his eyeballs were pointed at it was just kind of an uncomfortable video all around.

You can't really blame him. I'm playing through Dungeon Siege 3 now, since I got it for 5 bucks on the Amazon digital sale thing. I have to say, after being the lead systems designer for Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege 3, he probably has permanent brain damage or something. I don't even think he's a bad designer or anything, but working on two poorly received games in a row probably isn't the best thing to experience.

duckroll

Honestly, I was more offended by the state that NWN2 was in when I installed the retail version at release. The South Park RPG sounds interesting though. I definitely approve of a lot of the design ideas they're expressing for the game, even though I don't care about the show at all. I just hope it turns out to be a cool project for Obsidian and not another backfire.

You can't really blame him. I'm playing through Dungeon Siege 3 now, since I got it for 5 bucks on the Amazon digital sale thing. I have to say, after being the lead systems designer for Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege 3, he probably have permanent brain damage or something. I don't even think he's a bad designer or anything, but working on two poorly received games in a row probably isn't the best thing to experience.

Especially not when the systems in AP were actually so freaking good. I only appreciated how well designed the perks and character-system are after my fourth or fifth time through the game with a lot of different play-style choices.

Derrick01

Banned
I find it funny that people are getting their panties in a twist over the basement virgins thing but take up the PC Gaming Master Race thing in stride.

I wasn't upset by it, I recognized it as a poor attempt at a joke. If anything it made me glad that matt and trey are doing the writing for this game. Obsidian has great writers for serious stuff, but I don't think raw satire and humor is their best kind of writing.

Honestly, I was more offended by the state that NWN2 was in when I installed the retail version at release. The South Park RPG sounds interesting though. I definitely approve of a lot of the design ideas they're expressing for the game, even though I don't care about the show at all. I just hope it turns out to be a cool project for Obsidian and not another backfire.

Truth. It took over a year of patches just to get the game to run on Low on my laptop at the time.

Chavelo

Make South Park game.
obsidian-logo.jpg

Make jokes. People get butthurt.

Yep, they're actually working on a South Park game.

Rather than fixating on his bad joke, I say we turn this thread into a feverish masturbation session where we speculate on how revolutionary this game will be and how many GOTY awards it will win from basically zero information. Or is that only done with PS3 exclusives?

Emitan

How can it be GOTY when the masters of the RPG genre, Bioware, are releasing the conclusion to the best shooter RPG series this generation?!

Because South Park is a big popular brand franchise, the creators are big RPG fans, and Obsidian is a RPG developer? Unless your question was supposed to mean something different!

I believe a more accurate translation would be 'I don't like South Park, why does this thing that I have no interest in exist?'.

Kinyou

I already wonder what kind of bugs you can shove into a 2D game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm pretty surprised at how excited I am for this. I've been wanting to play an RPG again for a while but haven't been able to get into any. This will have the fun combat of Paper Mario and all the South Park trappings to make it stand out and be really entertaining. Also coming from as quality a developer as Obsidian helps too :)

Adam J.

I havent played an RPG or watched South Park in years, but I'm really looking forward to playing this. Really makes me wish that someone would step up and make a great Simpsons game as well..

derFeef

I'm sure it was tongue in cheek. Do you really think that someone who works at Obsidian of all places actually believes that?

It's a bad joke. I am interested in this game since I like Obsidian, that's why I am a bit "surprised" why he said that.

I like to watch South Park, but I can't say that it's something I'd like to play. I love these kind o' games too, turn-based 2D is what I grew up with and all but man ... Just not boarding the hype train on a South Park game.

Top Bottom