• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park RPG: First Screenshot And Combat Dev Diary

Is he lying or just nervous? What's the body language translation for looking at the floor all the time?

I'm guessing he's kind of shy. Why would he be lying? It's Obsidian, not Bethesda.

Haha, did a lead designer from Obsidian really call anyone who understands how to play Neverwinter Nights 2 a "pale basement virgin"? Yikes.

You can definitely see he's been hanging around with Matt and Trey.

^ Retail.

V_Arnold

It's a bad joke. I am interested in this game since I like Obsidian, that's why I am a bit "surprised" why he said that.

..and it is a bad joke, you recognize it, we move on.
We do not get butthurt over it, hopefully. I at least wont. And I used to be a basement-dweller pale skinned virgin once.

Finalow

this game will be great.
kNXE5.gif

I gotta say I'm on bored for this.

looks like they are making something in good spirits, with some stuff for the "hardcore"

wondering more details on the timing based mechanic. perfect guarding or whatever at 1 hp 5th class mode could be really great

considering the content, even obsidian would be hard pressed to make it feel excessively janky or about to lock up / crash at any moment like everything else they've ever made.

i've never played an obsidian game before, but the game informer article got me extremely hyped for this game. i love turn based games, especially now more than ever considering how few there are being developed. but with how demanding trey/matt are being with the authentic look and feel of south park, it would take a lot of unforeseen bad luck to make this game turn sour.

Doctor_20

Banned
Only turned based game I have ever played is Pokemon. Looks like this will be my second!

Unless someone convinces me to play one first..

braves01

Banned
I wasn't that excited when this was announced, but the Paper Mario-esque battles with some added depth for RPG nuts has put this on my radar.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Do we know what platforms this is gonna be on?
I'd love for portables to get it, even if by a different team, but I guess that won't happen (too much voicework?).

Hopefully it'll at least be on PC as well, altough console versions should be @1080p anyway.

I don't understand everyone sayin' 2D all the way, it could very much be in 3D in certain situations/pow, it probably shares a lot of assets with the show (done in Maya, iirc).

Wait, people is seriously being pissy about him throwing a pale basement virgin joke? Did it hit too close to home or are they unable to function well enough to see that it's tongue in cheek from a guy that makes games that are usually for people that are often stereotyped as being pale basement virgins? In an interview about fucking South Park none the less.

The Hermit

I would say it's likely. Like Duckroll said it's THQ, plus Obsidian's last 2 games were both Steamworks.

Ok, now I am interested.

<3 South Park. Trey and Matt rocks...who else would allow the entire show to be available on internet for free (and not US only) ?

The interview video was great and I'm loving what I'm hearing. This game is like a dream come true except that I never had the dream since I never could have imagined we'd have a South Park RPG made by Obsidian. Easily my most anticipated game for 2012 now. So hyped!

C4Lukins

Looks good but I really wish you had more then one ally at a time. This is the perfect sort of game to return to the 4 or 5 party member formula.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
At first I was a bit on the "meh" side, but now I'm pretty hyped. This may turn out to be the funniest RPG of whenever it's released.

I wouldn't normally be interested in this, but as a fan of the show, and someone who's had sudden urge to play RPGs, I'm looking forward to it.

Xater

Dungeon Siege 3 is pretty much bug free, very stable, and feels very optimized. Too bad the game is such a bore though.

Being boring is one of the key elements of the Dungeon Siege experience, so I guess they nailed it?

What I am hearing and seeing of this SP game has me very intrigued. I also love the show so yeah...

Mindlog

"We don't want this game to be a slot machine of loot."
That's what I've been saying. And you know this.

If they manage to release the game with the Jew class intact I will be impressed. The game sounds fantastic so far.

Emitan

Only turned based game I have ever played is Pokemon. Looks like this will be my second!

Unless someone convinces me to play one first..

Play Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. And Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. The best turn based RPGs for people who don't play turn based RPGs.

wrowa

Oh man, I'm already in love with this game.

I just hope THQ don't go down before they are able to release this game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What's up with Butters's hairstyle incidentally?

For me this is definitely a candidate for GOTY, since I am a huge South park fan I reckon this is going to be great.

I don't think that's Butters.

In the video they show Butters as a possible companion.

Edit: Snagged another screenshot for you:

bdouble

Oh my god I love it already. If the animation looks as crisp and inspired as it does in the show then it's going to be amazing.
Me too. When they said turn based and then Super Mario RPG combat I was down. Everything sounds great. Especially the fact that Matt and Trey are on board and are giving them practically everything used to do the show. Thats a big library of stuff. Plus any original content.

I don't think that's Butters.

In the video they show Butters as a possible companion.

Edit: Snagged another screenshot for you:

Yeah, that is definitely Butters!
Thank you for posting this.

By the way just seeing South park characters into a in-game screenshot is more than enough to make me dribble in anticipation.
There's definitely much potential in it, it could be glorious.

chiQ

If they provide decent character creation tools and the ability to share custom creations this could rock. Those, not too much depth to scare of the RPG lightweights (like me), plenty for the SP freak, and plenty of humour makes for a pretty solid title, I think.

If they provide decent character creation tools and the ability to share custom creations this could rock. Those, not too much depth to scare of the RPG lightweights (like me), plenty for the SP freak, and plenty of humour makes for a pretty solid title, I think.

in the game informer article, they mention how the customizable options are far greater than anything online. so there are high hopes for that. as far as sharing goes, who knows.

Top Bottom