• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Rangers: A War Apart OT | Saving Galaxy and Gaming, Both In HD

How's the english translation for the people who have some time in? Bought the game because it sounds rather incredible but it just went up on the english steam today, has the screenshots feature russian text, and the forum link still sends to the russian speaking section rather than English side. Makes me worry that aspect might be a bit of a mess :/ Didn't play the original version.

Edit: Anyone else's performance in the main menu quite poor? It alternates between the high 20s and 60. I have a mid to high end desktop so it shouldn't be doing that.

Edit 2: Same in the actual campaign. Anywhere from 25 to to the 50s. Changes every other second. Incredibly distracting and this is with vsync on but it's similar without. Is this a common issue or might there be a graphics card issue? Just kind of bewildered.

Corto

How's the english translation for the people who have some time in? Bought the game because it sounds rather incredible but it just went up on the english steam today, has the screenshots feature russian text, and the forum link still sends to the russian speaking section rather than English side. Makes me worry that aspect might be a bit of a mess :/ Didn't play the original version.

Edit: Anyone else's performance in the main menu quite poor? It alternates between the high 20s and 60. I have a mid to high end desktop so it shouldn't be doing that.

Edit 2: Same in the actual campaign. Anywhere from 25 to to the 50s. Changes every other second. Incredibly distracting and this is with vsync on but it's similar without. Is this a common issue or might there be a graphics card issue? Just kind of bewildered.

The english translation seems great until now (I'm just 1 hour in) but I also have frame rate issues specially on the RTS portions. The game seems to be indeed great. I don't want to jinx it for me, but these first moments with it feel like it's a great take on a "total game" with direct control portions, and a fun strategy/tactics layer. In the RTS portions I loved to take control of any individual unit and turn it into a TPS of sorts hehehe much like Men Of War games. I'm very pleased with this buy until now, performance issues notwithstanding.

I'm another one who put hundreds of hours into SR 2. I haven't played the reboot so it's been a while and regardless of my backlog i'm really tempted to jump in again.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've decided to start as a race other than Human or Faeyan for the very first time. Not having that early booster is going to suck!

I think I'll go Gaalian Mercenary. At least I'll have the tech advantage.

epmode

So I bought Space Rangers. Again.

As much as I liked what I played of the earlier game, I never put more than 2-3 hours in. I'll fix that this time.

Hmm, I've heard of Space Rangers before but never really looked into it or knew what it was. From what everyone is saying here it sounds very interesting though, the inclusion of text adventure segments especially! (One of my original favorite genres) Just got a few questions though if anyone can answer:

1. RTS isn't really my thing but it seems you can just skip those missions, is that right? Are there any in the main storyline I'd be forced to play?
2. Last page Tuco said it has EVE Online-style ship fitting, is it really as in depth with as many variety of module options as EVE? I love customizing and upgrading my ships in space games so if this has that depth to ship upgrades, that's great.
3. The OT says the galaxy's randomly generated every game, but what about the missions? It seems it'd be hard to randomize the text adventure missions, specifically.

Think I may try looking up some videos after work; I have a feeling I'll end up buying it though.

Shengar

Strange, I just went into the game and did suffer any framerate issues. Maybe that's because I'm not too far off in the game. I'll update if I suffer similar issue.
I've decided to start as a race other than Human or Faeyan for the very first time. Not having that early booster is going to suck!

I think I'll go Gaalian Mercenary. At least I'll have the tech advantage.
You should try Maloq.
Hmm, I've heard of Space Rangers before but never really looked into it or knew what it was. From what everyone is saying here it sounds very interesting though, the inclusion of text adventure segments especially! (One of my original favorite genres) Just got a few questions though if anyone can answer:

1. RTS isn't really my thing but it seems you can just skip those missions, is that right? Are there any in the main storyline I'd be forced to play?
2. Last page Tuco said it has EVE Online-style ship fitting, is it really as in depth with as many variety of module options as EVE? I love customizing and upgrading my ships in space games so if this has that depth to ship upgrades, that's great.
3. The OT says the galaxy's randomly generated every game, but what about the missions? It seems it'd be hard to randomize the text adventure missions, specifically.

Think I may try looking up some videos after work; I have a feeling I'll end up buying it though.

1. Yes, you can skip them entirely. There is main storyline related planetary battle, but that is not mandatory since it is just one option of finishing that storyline while there are another ways to finished it/
2/ No, not as depth as that (well, never seen EVE). you couldn't change your ship color for a start, and most of the customization works more like a equipment.
3. The content of the Text Based Quests are not randomized of course. But there are still some element that randomized not just for every playthrough, but for every tries.

Sentenza

2. Last page Tuco said it has EVE Online-style ship fitting, is it really as in depth with as many variety of module options as EVE?
Well, no, it's more a simplified version of that, but it works pretty much on the same principles and there still is a lot of variety.
What's great about this game, in general, is that even when you start to think you finally understood most of its systems, at some point you will start to realize they looked deceptively simple at first and there's much more than you realized.

The average learning curve is something like this:
"What the fuck is that? I have no idea of what I'm doing"
*sometime later*
"Oh, I think I get it now. That module is very important, while that other not so much"
*few hours later*
"Fuck, NOW I get it, that other module is far more important than I used to think, because of reason X".
*another bunch of hours later*
"Oh, now I understand why that secondary stat on that kind of item I never cared much about is important, too".

CTLance

Gonna play me some SR2 whenever Terraria releases its iron grip on my squishy bits.

(Non-HD: Still can't fight planetary conquest maps worth shit. I usually grab the tutorial mission and then tell them to GTFO with any future robot-related activities.)

Oh wow, completely forgot this was coming out - been keeping an eye on it ever since it was announced so long ago *_*

I came across this series through buying SR2 - it's pretty much the only space sim/RPG/text adventure that I put any significant time into :). Gonna get this as soon as I have the time/money for it (too busy with other games).

K.Jack

Am I seeing this correctly? Carrying loads no longer reduces your engine speed?

Not sure how I feel about that.

Sh1ner

For someone who missed out on all the 2D space games and space rangers 2 being my first this is going to be fucking amazing! I sorely missed this game its like xmas for me.

Time to get my friends hooked.

Tenrius

I played quite a bit of original SR2 back when it was released, still have my retail. Definitely going to get this reissue at some point.

Spent a few hours last night and today puttering about the galaxy. It really is something special.

Did decide to turn off the RTS sections in the tutorial, despite the wealth of XP forfeited.

Shengar

Am I seeing this correctly? Carrying loads no longer reduces your engine speed?

Not sure how I feel about that.

Wait what? WAIT WHAT?!
This is a megaton if it true. It seems SNK Games try to make playing as pacifist/merchant more plausible.

K.Jack

Wait what? WAIT WHAT?!
This is a megaton if it true. It seems SNK Games try to make playing as pacifist/merchant more plausible.

Nope I was wrong. i bought a heavier hull and speed finally started being sacrificed. I may have to install SR2 to see, but I swear they nerfed the penalty.

Just going to ask again as the post above was filled with other stuff. Anyone else with performance issues besides the one guy who also had them?

During space traversal it's around 50-60 but in the cities it shoots around from 25-60 at random. I have a computer which is quite good so it's kind of annoying.

Is there a way to deal with people on planets? In most space combat I do damage, the person I'm fighting runs off to a planet, heals, and the process repeats seemingly endlessly. Obviously I need to get better, stronger weapons but is there no other way to prevent them from doing such things?

Shengar

Is there a way to deal with people on planets? In most space combat I do damage, the person I'm fighting runs off to a planet, heals, and the process repeats seemingly endlessly. Obviously I need to get better, stronger weapons but is there no other way to prevent them from doing such things?

No, you need to destroy them before they escaped to a planet. The best thing is to have Rethone (slowing weapon), and/or lure them to crowded place, pause, then negotiate with all ships near you to crush the target. I assume this person you talking about is pirate since civilian ship usually easy to destroy.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Got it sitting in the cart currently, still shopping around for other deals atm.

Thanks for the rundown Shengar!

No, you need to destroy them before they escaped to a planet. The best thing is to have Rethone (slowing weapon), and/or lure them to crowded place, pause, then negotiate with all ships near you to crush the target. I assume this person you talking about is pirate since civilian ship usually easy to destroy.

Yeah, it was a pirate ship. Thanks for the advice, eventually gave up as it was an endless cycle of fire off on target until he's low on health, he speeds away using hydro or whatever it's called, I do the same, go to planet to repair, etc.

Where are all the text adventures I've heard so much about? I played for five hours earlier today and didn't encounter a single one, just did a whole bunch of trading and defense quests. Did do a few of the RTS sections though. Seemed alright and it was fun to try different robot combinations, although the capture commands a bit iffy. I didn't realize until I was about to quit that the visual settings for them were in a separate section. Which is nice because they were ungodly ugly when I played through them :D

Edit:
Warped to a galaxy without paying attention to the current status:
D34E9931846D3CD3D1981DC3934BD3D6A24CAD32
I managed to get to a planet with 50 health left, waited 3 days, and used the hydro on my engine to get away from the Dominator fleet. Was incredible.

Parakeetman

GksBP.jpg

sums up my experience so far lol.

While not exactly kinda feels like a top down X series game. The whole planetside RTS stuff though is a little weird, since the AI is about as brilliant as a bag of dicks, so really requires you to overly baby them with watching what they are doing. Not to mention that there is also friendly fire which doesnt help.

Cool stuff overall though once I figure out what in the bloody blue blazes Im doing.

Shengar

Yeah, it was a pirate ship. Thanks for the advice, eventually gave up as it was an endless cycle of fire off on target until he's low on health, he speeds away using hydro or whatever it's called, I do the same, go to planet to repair, etc.

Where are all the text adventures I've heard so much about? I played for five hours earlier today and didn't encounter a single one, just did a whole bunch of trading and defense quests. Did do a few of the RTS sections though. Seemed alright and it was fun to try different robot combinations, although the capture commands a bit iffy. I didn't realize until I was about to quit that the visual settings for them were in a separate section. Which is nice because they were ungodly ugly when I played through them :D

Edit:
Warped to a galaxy without paying attention to the current status:

I managed to get to a planet with 50 health left, waited 3 days, and used the hydro on my engine to get away from the Dominator fleet. Was incredible.
AI can use boost now? That'll be problematic lol. I guess I must reserve weapon slot for Rethone and Electronic when pirate hunting come.

Text Based come quite late in the game, as they somehow locked to a certain planets for each quest. As the game progresses, more systems would be freed (either by you or Coalition), so the said text based quest now could be taken as the planet where the quest will take place now can be accessed. They usually started popping up when half of the galaxy map purchased/revealed and majority of them being freed from Dominators.
GksBP.jpg

While not exactly kinda feels like a top down X series game. The whole planetside RTS stuff though is a little weird, since the AI is about as brilliant as a bag of dicks, so really requires you to overly baby them with watching what they are doing. Not to mention that there is also friendly fire which doesnt help.

Cool stuff overall though once I figure out what in the bloody blue blazes Im doing.
Just wait till you hit Text Based Quest and you'll started wondering what game you just played :p

GksBP.jpg

Good to hear you're finding your way in the deep end!

It does have that X-esque "uh, so here I am. What next?!" level regarding the scope and freedom.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Feels funny that I bought Space Rangers 2 for $10 during a STEAM sale around two-years ago with plans on playing it eventually but never got around to it.. now I'm probably going buy this when it goes on sale and play the shit out of it (hopefully).

Damn you STEAM.

Dezeer

GksBP.jpg

They have added friendly fire to the HD version RTS battles?

That image summarizes quite well how I felt the first time playing the game SR2 Reboot, it had so broad range of things that affected the gameplay that middle through my first proper playthrough I restarted and I still found little details that made the game easier/different.

So what is Gaffers verdict on this version, outside the resolution change is there enough new content to make it feel fresh? Have they increased the equipment level cap from the eight levels or made changes to them? How is the balance, do you get the same amount of money/xp and the equipment feel the same?
Is the pirate "faction" like "all vs. all" as in the rangers vs. pirates vs. dominators or more of rangers + pirates vs dominators and pirates have their own career paths against civilians and rangers?
And the RTS, outside graphical updates I have not read anything else they would have made to it, have they done anything to it like different formations or slow down the robot production rate? Oh have they changed the cursor colour from the blue to anything different, I found that I lost it sometimes in icy planetary battles?

Sorry for so many questions.

Shengar

From the tutorial alone, I don't think there are any significant change to the RTS core mechanic, still the same half-baked tedious chore (till with a lot credit and exp of course!). I can't give a verdict as I've yet to continue my playthrough. My midterm exam coming so maybe next I can continue my play for some straight hours to give a verdict.

Well, it's more like "Pirates!" in space.
Plus EVE Online spaceship fitting.
Plus text based adventures as side quests.
Plus occasional RTS sections.

But with more story and RPG in it.
And the universe is alive and goes on by itself regardless of the player input.

In short, it's freaking massive and awesome.

ib1lt7NIx8tpaH.gif

Parakeetman

Basically all I can really answer is the friendly fire bit.

Yeah its most def in there and real bad too considering how dumb the robots pathing is causing them to wander around sometimes getting hit by other friendly robots that are staying put pounding on a target. Tried it out on purpose too a few times to confirm it. First time Ive seen friendly fire from general attack type of commands. I know that other games have FF but thats usually from the skill based type of commands.

Shengar

The best weapon for the bot to not cause friendly fire is laser, but since the range and the damage output isn't really that good, so the tradeoff might not worthed it. For the RTS section I usually take my time by soloing the map with FAD-139.

Parakeetman

The best weapon for the bot to not cause friendly fire is laser, but since the range and the damage output isn't really that good, so the tradeoff might not worthed it. For the RTS section I usually take my time by soloing the map with FAD-139.

Indeed using a weapon with poor range gets your poor bots chewed up bad by the enemy AI as they are usually outfitted to blast at a range. D: Same goes for the turrets.

Yeah that manual control mode is highly appreciated!

K.Jack

Man they've added so many little tweaks. A button to reload all missiles, the ability to plot multiple jumps then watch them happen, onload, offload or sell all cargo... just small things which make the game run so much more smooth.

That image summarizes quite well how I felt the first time playing the game SR2 Reboot, it had so broad range of things that affected the gameplay that middle through my first proper playthrough I restarted and I still found little details that made the game easier/different.

So what is Gaffers verdict on this version, outside the resolution change is there enough new content to make it feel fresh? Have they increased the equipment level cap from the eight levels or made changes to them? How is the balance, do you get the same amount of money/xp and the equipment feel the same?
Is the pirate "faction" like "all vs. all" as in the rangers vs. pirates vs. dominators or more of rangers + pirates vs dominators and pirates have their own career paths against civilians and rangers?
And the RTS, outside graphical updates I have not read anything else they would have made to it, have they done anything to it like different formations or slow down the robot production rate? Oh have they changed the cursor colour from the blue to anything different, I found that I lost it sometimes in icy planetary battles?

Sorry for so many questions.

It feels fresh to me, though it may not to the next guy.

Equipment: Still caps at level 8, but there are now a couple different factors, which add to variety and strategy. First is that the "special" equipment, which we had in SR2:Reboot (say Mioplasmic, Pygamore, Ultra Alloy), now offer a give and take, instead of having only positive properties.

Examples in this Fuel Tank, Droid, and Gripper:

Tank.jpg~original
Droid.jpg~original
Grpr.jpg~original

Then there's the randomly "modification" you'll find on some weapons. These weapons look different than the standard variants, and have special properties. I'm not sure how many mods there are, and the same weapon type can be found with different kinds of mods.

Example from one of my Launchers:

Lanchr.jpg~original

The balance is the different, in that the Pirates are badass right from the start, and there's a ton of them. They use engine boosters now, for one. Also, they have some weapons and backstory I haven't seen yet. The Pirates very much do their own thing; they conquer systems, they take systems from the Dominators, and the Dominators battle back at them. It's the Coalition vs. Pirates vs. Dominators, winner take all.

So there was more than enough in this release for me to justify the purchase. When you consider the new ships, weapons, micromodules, quests, text quests, the Pirate storyline, etc., there's a lot to digest, even for someone like me who put 200 hours into Reboot.

Niahak

Was playing this some over the weekend and just finished the first text adventure. It was pretty boring, but at least it was fast and the random elements that mattered were mostly early on (fishing competition -- my strategy was to
gamble until I won about 300 credits, restart if I lost, and buy the 2nd best rod/tackle and as many green worms as I could. Find a deep area, if nothing bites for a few minutes move on
. The scenario implied I could somehow
bully the reigning champion or discover his secret to win
but I didn't see a way to do that).

I played the original some time back, and spent maybe a couple hours on Reboot when it came out. This seems like a big improvement in a lot of respects, although I'm still not positive all paths are equal (seems like doing a bunch of missions until you get a decent ship put together to fight dominators is the way to go).

Skipping all RTS segments on my first playthrough. I found them really tedious and frustrating.

I'm once again wowed by just how much there is to do. I had forgotten entirely about leaving probes on uninhabited planets, the black hole action segments, and commanding other rangers. Really hope there's a Space Rangers 3.

I've played on a couple different computers and haven't had any of the FPS issues people have been reporting. I get ~300 fps in space on one and ~900 on the other. Everything runs pretty smooth.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
A little tip for you guys that's not mentioned anywhere on the manual: If there is a fight in a system shown on the galaxy map with the spinning crossed swords symbol and you want to know who's fighting who, the color of each sword tells you this info:

Red is coalition military
white is pirates
Teal is dominators

Xander51

I grabbed SR 2 on Gog quite a while back, and I never played more than a few hours of it but what I did play was awesome. I think it's a little weird that the old game has vanished from all download stores in order to accommodate this new release, a la Doom 3 BFG when that first shipped, but I guess they only want people to buy the new one. I might have to check this out. I wish more games were this ambitious.

K.Jack

I've played on a couple different computers and haven't had any of the FPS issues people have been reporting. I get ~300 fps in space on one and ~900 on the other. Everything runs pretty smooth.

What's your setup? I have the same exact framerates being reported by other people. Which means 50-55fps in space, with sudden dips to 30fps while on planets. I have a GTX 780M (desktop GTX 680), so I shouldn't be lacking in power.

p.s. - If you have Nvidia, what driver?

A little tip for you guys that's not mentioned anywhere on the manual: If there is a fight in a system shown on the galaxy map with the spinning crossed swords symbol and you want to know who's fighting who, the color of each sword tells you this info:

Red is coalition military
white is pirates
Teal is dominators
Oh nice, I hadn't put that together.

Eventually we should compile a large list of tips and tricks.

Coiote

wow, what a nice suprise. I want to buy it right now, but my gaming budget is kinda stretched with the incoming next gen and other non-related expenses. Maybe in next month for me or in the inevitable holiday steam sales.

Parakeetman

Pro-tip dont use the auto-pilot + attack near a sun.

Just crashed into one and died apparently lol

Niahak

What's your setup? I have the same exact framerates being reported by other people. Which means 50-55fps in space, with sudden dips to 30fps while on planets. I have a GTX 780M (desktop GTX 680), so I shouldn't be lacking in power.

p.s. - If you have Nvidia, what driver?

Desktop with:
i5 quad-core Win7 64-bit
GTS 250
8GB DDR3 RAM
Driver version is 9.18.13.2018 (from 5/12/2013)

Laptop has:
AMD quad-core A10-4600m Win8 64-bit
AMD Radeon HD 7660G
8GB DDR3 RAM

Neither's a powerhouse, but both can play most games comfortably with moderate settings. It's really odd that you're not blowing them out of the water with your video card. Definitely has to be some deficiency in the game.

In your Documents / SpaceRangersHD folder there's a CFG.TXT file that you might poke around in if you want to resolve the issue. You could set HardwareRender to false and see if that helps any. Here's what I have for a few settings that I pulled that could be related:

SkipIntro=True
Window=False
VSync=True

HardwareRender=True
DisableTextureManager=False
RenderModeScale=True

SimpleCalc=False
MultiThread=False

Wind=1
ShipTail=2
AnimCaptain=True
AnimItem=True
BGImage=True
AnimShipFull=True
AnimGov=2
AnimHangar=True
AnimStar=True
SputnikShow=True
CircleAction=False
SpaceImage=1
Comet=1

VideoMemSizeLimit=256
FontSmooth=False

There's a lot more in there, but I doubt they'd affect performance any...

Jhriad

Q: What is this game about?
A: Well, in short this is a space simulation where you take a role as "space rangers", special, freelancing pilot that recruited by the interplanetary government in order to dealt with Dominators threat. The game itself have diverse gameplay element. Even Steam list it up as Adventure, Action, RPG, Strategy, and Simulation. Watching some let's play video (if there is any) might give you a better picture of the game.

This explanation gives me no idea as to what the hell this game is. It could be similar to Dawn of War, Mass Effect, or any number of other games based on that description.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
This explanation gives me no idea as to what the hell this game is. It could be similar to Dawn of War, Mass Effect, or any number of other games based on that description.

The majority of the the game consists of you controlling a single ship from a top down 2d perspective. You travel from system to system using a galaxy map that you slowly uncover by buying star maps. Each system has several planets inhabited by different races. You land on these planets to take government missions which include doing deliveries, assassinations, escorts, protecting a system for a certain duration. Another mission type changes the game into a text based adventure adventure where you must accomplish something. Doing these missions earns you cash which you spend on upgrading, repairing and outfitting your ship or buying a new ship. At the same time there are three types of robotic enemies called dominators that are trying to take over the world, they slowly take over each system dynamically and are resisted by military ships and pirates. Pirates are another faction you can join where they have their quests and storyline.

Your main goal is to defeat the dominators by eliminating them completely from the galaxy. You'll first need to figure out how to do that and where they came from. Defeating the pirates is another goal.

The whole world is randomly generated, persistant and dynamically changing all the time. Military, pirates and dominators are always fighting over systems. You can interact and help liberate systems or just who your own thing and receive news about the war effort when systems are free or lost.

There are also many more aspects to the the game including an rts game where you control robots on the planet surface to defeat dominator remnants, and a real time space shooter where you steer your ship and shoot enemies inside black holes.

You can play the game how you want by becoming the best space ranger, a criminal where you kill anyone, a merchant, or anything else really. The game does have an ending when you defeat the dominators.

Hope that helps. There IS A LOT more to the game but discovering things on your own is part of the fun.

Shengar

Was playing this some over the weekend and just finished the first text adventure. It was pretty boring, but at least it was fast and the random elements that mattered were mostly early on (fishing competition -- my strategy was to
gamble until I won about 300 credits, restart if I lost, and buy the 2nd best rod/tackle and as many green worms as I could. Find a deep area, if nothing bites for a few minutes move on
. The scenario implied I could somehow
bully the reigning champion or discover his secret to win
but I didn't see a way to do that).
The fishing competition is one of the most boring text based quest I've ever played in SR2. Its too reliant on luck, and feel tedious. The other newer one from Reboot also didn't that good compared to the original. I hope A War Apart add more Swarokok and less Fishing Competition.
TucoBenedictoPacifico put it better than mine. Its like Pirates! in space, with more RPG element and text based quest as an extra. Not too mention there is also (half-baked) RTS and arcade-like segment.

K.Jack

OMG there's now an anti-missle system artifact, which I just found.

Desktop with:
i5 quad-core Win7 64-bit
GTS 250
8GB DDR3 RAM
Driver version is 9.18.13.2018 (from 5/12/2013)

Laptop has:
AMD quad-core A10-4600m Win8 64-bit
AMD Radeon HD 7660G
8GB DDR3 RAM

Neither's a powerhouse, but both can play most games comfortably with moderate settings. It's really odd that you're not blowing them out of the water with your video card. Definitely has to be some deficiency in the game.

In your Documents / SpaceRangersHD folder there's a CFG.TXT file that you might poke around in if you want to resolve the issue. You could set HardwareRender to false and see if that helps any. Here's what I have for a few settings that I pulled that could be related:

----snip----

There's a lot more in there, but I doubt they'd affect performance any...

Okay, now I see what's going on here. I've been using Fraps this entire time, and you're using the in game fps monitor, correct? I was messing with some setting, and turned it on just to see.

Right now I'm in space, and Fraps says 55-57fps, while the game's fps monitor has me from 480-500fps, and the latter makes a lot more sense given the strength of my GPU.

I stopped caring hours ago anyway.

Shengar

1 month after purchase, and I just got my time to play this. Thanks for October's handheld crazy releases.

But still, feels good man. Play it for nearly 8 hours straight.

The game is improved in one or another. Pirate faction can really change the way you play. If you play with Hardboiled Enemy difficulty, half of the Galaxy practically on Dominators control. While the rest of the half split between Coalition and Pirate. What make Pirate faction interesting is how they react. Unlike Coalition that react accordingly to your action depending on their race, Pirate act as one whole. If you pissed them, shoot one of their brother in their system, them pirates could starting swarm on you. Taking the wrong action means that half of the accessible Galaxy is your enemy, which isn't good since Pirate system can still give you normal quest.

I think the game is a bit more streamlined or easier on the early phase. The initial equipment is definitely better now. You choose engine, and the will you give a Singular Engine at low size. I've yet to checked other standard equipment, but I guess its the same. Better initial equipment give me a really good start since I can take many quest on hard, though not always. By 3306, I'm already amassed 250k cr with highly modernized ships. That kind of fortune usually achieved by 3308, and not counting that I raised the questing difficulty which makes them lower paid.

I have yet to received new text based quest, so that I have to say for now. Also, the transtlation really changed. I guess I could said it is better, but the old one have its charm too. "Anything harder than that?" replaced by simple "harder" doesn't really charming right? :p

Shengar

What the fuck GAF? Why is it only me doing posting here? Am I doing a monologue?

Just forget about that, and let me continue my impression. The game definitely get harder. Now is 3311, but I can't free a system alone by myself like before (in SR2: Reboot, I can free a system singlehandedly at hard enemy difficulty just fine). The enemy was much better equipped, especially treton-ass pirates. It made worse by the fact that leveling up skills to max level require as much as twice exp than before. This is very hard to achieve since if there are only 10% of free system, most available quest already been exhausted. With the equipment repair for each battle cost around 15k-30k cr at that, turn the situation even more dire.

But well luckily the rangers here are buffed up. At least the higher ranking one. With probability analyzer, I have 50% winning chance against one of my subordinate, which is very good. They are quite useful not like before, as long as the system not filled by Equentor lol.

I'll continue my monologue impression until I finished it. The playthrough been put quite pressure on me. Maybe I should make peace with those dem pirates, take quest from them then shoot them in the back later.

Pheace

Can't believe i have 266 hours logged on Steam and I've unlocked 6/82 achievements. I play this game so wrong xD

Granted I always restart when i get back to it and I probably idled a lot but still. Loved Space Rangers 2 Reboot and love HD. This game is amazing.

Top Bottom