• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special Counsel Mueller Impanels Washington Grand Jury in Russia probe

I wouldn't cross this man.

AApnchG.img

If I was on muellers team i would put a nerd into analysing the upvote activity on the_donald to check whether there is coordination by bots controlled by individuals associated or renumerated by political operatives/Russians. Because it is 100% in the interest of the FSB to provoke civil unrest.

I'm pretty sure the IC keeps tabs of what goes on in that sub. I've suspected for some time that they are intentionally keeping it up, so that they can continue to monitor Russian activity and other individuals who frequent there. Would certainly explain why Reddit bends over backwards to limit their influence on the site without actually banning them.

adj_noun

You have to ignore the nazi/racist/bigot shit. The real gems are the threads in which they discuss Trump the man, and how inspiring and brilliant he is. He made them work harder. That got them that promotion. He made them realize that it's time to settle down with a traditional woman. He made them believe that things might be alright afterall. Add to that stories upon stories about naming their first-born Donald, or about their 6-year-old nephew asking for a birthday cake in the shape of a MAGA hat and how proud they were that he got red pilled despite his libtard parents. Just pure gold. So absurdly over-the-top that I still have trouble believing that it's not performance art.

I swear it didn't use to be that cult-y over there. It was bad before, sure, but what it's become post-Trump victory is awe inspiring in its awfulness.

You'd think controlling virtually the entire government would have eased off the paranoia a bit.

Nekofrog

Banned
I swear it didn't use to be that cult-y over there. It was bad before, sure, but what it's become post-Trump victory is awe inspiring in its awfulness.

You'd think controlling virtually the entire government would have eased off the paranoia a bit.

There was a very brief Purge period after Trump did his first intervening military strikes. A decent amount of magakids were permabanned there for stating the were even slightly upset that Trump went back on his promise if no intervention. That was one of those days where it shiftrd heavily towards thetotal character cult that it is now.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Trump: "What the prosecutor should be looking at is Clinton's 33K emails. Her paid Russian speeches."

Trump just now.

Mattenth

I swear, everyone that is on team Trump on my Facebook is sharing links right and left defending him.

Same :-\ I've found these are pretty effective:

"Obama was worse..."
- Would you agree that we should hold the current President to the highest standards of any American? Not people that are 8-months in the rear-view mirror?

"But Hillary!"
- Don't you think the FBI and DoJ should have enough resources to investigate both Hillary and Trump Jr simultaneously? (I know the Hillary thing is a sham... but you won't convince a Trumpkin of that)

"No evidence! You can't prove a crime happened!"
- That's true, but we do have reasonable suspicion. Just like how a copy will search your car if he smells drugs, we're going to have federal officials search the White House when we see suspicious activity.

"Waste of taxpayer money!"
- No, we pay the FBI and police to investigate things all the time that turn out to be completely innocent. That doesn't make it a waste of money.

"It's a liberal conspiracy!"
- Mueller is a Republican, who was appointed as FBI director by a Republican president and confirmed by a Republican congress. Republicans are the ones that are pushing anti-Russia legislation, and Republicans have promised that they will re-appoint Mueller should Trump fire him.
- There are millions of law enforcement officials that are part of the Democratic party, but we trust law enforcement to set aside their political views and act professionally. Besides, Mueller doesn't determine who's guilty - a jury does, or if it's impeachment, our elected officials do, and both require more than just a 50/50 majority.

Same :-\ I've found these are pretty effective:

"Obama was worse..."
- Would you agree that we should hold the current President to the highest standards of any American? Not people that are 8-months in the rear-view mirror?

"But Hillary!"
- Don't you think the FBI and DoJ should have enough resources to investigate both Hillary and Trump Jr simultaneously? (I know the Hillary thing is a sham... but you won't convince a Trumpkin of that)

If you feel like replying to that garbage just post this link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

"Whataboutism is a propaganda technique formerly used by the Soviet Union in its dealings with the Western world, and subsequently used as a form of propaganda in post-Soviet Russia. When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union, the Soviet response would be "What about..." followed by an event in the Western world."

The only possible out for Trump at this point is the Chris Christie defense- "Everyone on my team did this together, but I magically had no knowledge of it." My assumption is that he isn't smart enough for that.

Trump: "What the prosecutor should be looking at is Clinton's 33K emails. Her paid Russian speeches."

Trump just now.

'Her paid Russian speeches'? Wait, there is a 2010 speech Bill Clinton made in Russia (I saw him a year later in the Netherlands when he was doing that tour) but Hilary made multiple paid speeches in Russia too? When?

Or is he just pulling things out of his ass again?

kevin1025

Banned
'Her paid Russian speeches'? Wait, there is a 2010 speech Bill Clinton made in Russia (I saw him a year later in the Netherlands when he was doing that tour) but Hilary made multiple paid speeches in Russia too? When?

Or is he just pulling things out of his ass again?

The big, beautiful wall told him personally.

Mattenth

If you feel like replying to that garbage just post this link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

"Whataboutism is a propaganda technique formerly used by the Soviet Union in its dealings with the Western world, and subsequently used as a form of propaganda in post-Soviet Russia. When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union, the Soviet response would be "What about..." followed by an event in the Western world."

That wouldn't be effective...

The country is extremely divided. You won't make progress by just hurling derogatory comments back at people, or by trying to come off all high-and-mighty by linking to obscure philosophies on wikipedia.

If you want to engage with a Trump supporter successfully, then you need to make comments that acknowledge what they say, but re-frame the issue.

When a Trump supporter goes "But Hillary and Russia and Uranium," a bad engagement is to say "psh... that was just a stupid conspiracy."

A more positive engagement is to say "the DoJ and FBI should be able to investigate both things at the same time." It acknowledges what they want (an investigation into Hillary) while also re-framing the issue (we should investigate BOTH things, not just one) and it legitimizes the process (we go investigation --> indictment --> guilty, in that order).

If you want to take it a step further, point out that Jeff Sessions ultimately decides who's indicted, and ask "So, why do you think Jeff Sessions is waiting to file charges against Hillary?"

It's a total sham, but the important part is that it legitimizes the process and acknowledges what they're saying.

I'm of the opinion that the loss of civility is an intentional Republican play, because Republicans thrive on incivility moreso than Democrats. Compare 5 minutes of Fox News to MSNBC and you'll see it even in how they talk to each other. So if you want to take on the GOP, start being civil.

theWB27

That wouldn't be effective...

The country is extremely divided. You won't make progress by just hurling derogatory comments back at people, or by trying to come off all high-and-mighty by linking to obscure philosophies on wikipedia.

If you want to engage with a Trump supporter successfully, then you need to make comments that acknowledge what they say, but re-frame the issue.

When a Trump supporter goes "But Hillary and Russia and Uranium," a bad engagement is to say "psh... that was just a stupid conspiracy."

A more positive engagement is to say "the DoJ and FBI should be able to investigate both things at the same time." It acknowledges what they want (an investigation into Hillary) while also re-framing the issue (we should investigate BOTH things, not just one) and it legitimizes the process (we go investigation --> indictment --> guilty, in that order).

If you want to take it a step further, point out that Jeff Sessions ultimately decides who's indicted, and ask "So, why do you think Jeff Sessions is waiting to file charges against Hillary?"

It's a total sham, but the important part is that it legitimizes the process and acknowledges what they're saying.

I'm of the opinion that the loss of civility is an intentional Republican play, because Republicans thrive on incivility moreso than Democrats. Compare 5 minutes of Fox News to MSNBC and you'll see it even in how they talk to each other. So if you want to take on the GOP, start being civil.

Im not understanding how pointing out someone's disingenuous argument tactics is high and mighty or un civil.

Id rather do that then ask questions we both know the answer to, but listen to them sidestep or lie.

X-Frame

I always like to visit The_Dumbass when news like this drops, and wow looking at their top posts on this is just astounding. 2020 Opposition research? Wtf.

Kasumin

Also that Susan Rice got flipped and that's how she was let off the hook for unmasking. There's a secret dream team going after the Deep State and the stupid public thinks they are going after Trump.

I'm not even kidding.

Wasn't there some famous ethnographic study of an alien-worshipping cult where the researcher was able to observe them the night they insisted the world would end and their alien masters would come for them? And then once the aliens didn't show up, the people rationalized that their faith had saved humanity or some shit.

Considering how t_d seems to be a cult full of bots and who knows what else, the ridiculous lengths they're going to in order to defend 45 doesn't surprise me as much as it might.

Agreed. An uncivil environment also discourages reasoned debate, which is like kryptonite to Republicans nowadays since they rely on pushing bullshit that ignores reality to their supporters. If there's less debate, there's more room for Republican talking points and propaganda to be spewed out into public discourse.

flkraven

I just read that the Senate officially blocked all recess appointments. Looks like the old Mullet is sticking around!

Im not understanding how pointing out someone's disingenuous argument tactics is high and mighty or un civil.

Id rather do that then ask questions we both know the answer to, but listen to them sidestep or lie.

Pointing out text book fallacies that go over their head is ineffective. They're positions are likely based on fallacies repeated to them until they caved in and or it confirmed their biases. So the way you come back to them is to attack their positions. Being civil, specifically, entails not attacking their character but, rather, attacking what they think they know.

theWB27

Pointing out text book fallacies that go over their head is ineffective. They're positions are likely based on fallacies repeated to them until they caved in and or it confirmed their biases. So the way you come back to them is to attack their positions. Being civil, specifically, entails not attacking their character but, rather, attacking what they think they know.

Pretty true. I see it on here too. I get it.

KDR_11k

Most important part of this is apparently that it puts a lot of pressure on the subject of the investigation. High chance of stupid actions that lead to obstruction or perjury charges. And that's with prudent people who listen to their lawyers...

RedShift

I want to see the following people indicted.

Trump
Trump Jr
Eric Trump
Ivanka Trump
Jared Kushner
Mike Pence
Jeff Sessions
Rex Tillerson
Betsy DeVos
Scott Pruitt
Paul Ryan
Reince Priebus
Paul Manafort
Mike Flynn
Steve Bannon
Mitch McConnel
Stephen Miller
Carter Page

Anyone I'm missing?

Nigel Farage please. He's already a 'person of interest' in the investigation.

cntr

Banned
Nigel Farage please. He's already a 'person of interest' in the investigation.
Imagine what would happen if Brexit shit actually got tied up in the Trump investigation? That would be insane. The ultimate soap opera crossover.

And it's not even implausible!

cameron

Sources confirm to @NBCNews Mueller is using multiple grand juries, incl. in DC and Virginia, for his Russia probe.

— Kyle Griffin‏ (@kylegriffin1) Aug 4, 2017

NBC News: Mueller Using Grand Juries in Va. and D.C. in Trump-Russia Probe
Special Counsel Robert Mueller has tapped multiple grand juries, including juries in Washington and Virginia, in an effort to gather evidence in the ongoing federal investigation into Russia's meddling in the U.S. presidential election, three sources familiar with the matter told NBC News.

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that Mueller had impanelled a separate grand jury in Washington, but sources familiar with the matter say that Mueller is using existing grand juries in both Washington and Virginia.

And your daily point-and-laugh-at-Fox-News moment:

Fox News anchor calls grand juries "an undemocratic farce" one day after demanding one for Clinton http://hill.cm/4DmZ5V0
— The Hill‏ (@thehill) Aug 4, 2017

The Hill: Fox's Jarrett calls grand juries 'undemocratic farce' one day after calling for one for Clinton
Former defense attorney and Fox News anchor Gregg Jarrett called grand juries an "undemocratic farce" on Thursday, just one day after writing an op-ed asking why a grand jury had not been impaneled for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's mishandling of classified information.

Jarrett weighed in on special counsel Robert Mueller's decision to impanel a grand jury in the investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election.

"There's only one other nation in the world other than the U.S. that employs a grand jury — it's Liberia," Jarrett, a former Court TV host, said Thursday on ”Hannity."

"And there's a reason why, because everybody now realizes that grand juries are an undemocratic farce."

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Are there any implications to him using multiple juries or is that normal?

Peccavi

I...don't understand how grand juries are an undemocratic farce. Like, I have trouble seeing any argument for that

Top Bottom