• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special Edition Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD Wii U confirmed [Hero Mode trailer]

D-e-f-

Banned
Intend to buy it up till Sept 27th on Club Nintendo. Those usually go till a week prior to launch. So, maybe October 4th or 6th it seems.

Sound guess. 6th it is then (as it's the US date that's missing). October 4 is already confirmed for EU.

LaNaranja

I don't know why people are complaining about no new dungeons. It's not like Sony added anything significant to any of its HD ports of God of War Collection, Sly Collection, Shadow of the Colossus & Ico Collection. Wind Waker is a pretty straight forward port meant to serve as an HD experiment for the team, but they at least took the time to fix some of the issues most people had with the original game.

One of the God of War collections had that game directors live thing that was the directors of all the games talking and answering questions. The Team Ico Collection had themes for the PS3 and tons of behind the scenes videos including footage from The Last Guardian. Sly Collection had a set of four Playstation Move minigames. Those were actually some of the best HD remakes.

Better examples of lazy Sony HD ports would be the Jak Collection or the Ratchet and Clank Collection.

NIGHT-

Sucks about the lack of price drop... But there are some huge games coming.. Is luigi u really a limited retail release?

I don't know why people are complaining about no new dungeons. It's not like Sony added anything significant to any of its HD ports of God of War Collection, Sly Collection, Shadow of the Colossus & Ico Collection. Wind Waker is a pretty straight forward port meant to serve as an HD experiment for the team, but they at least took the time to fix some of the issues most people had with the original game.

None of those games were charged full price. This is

NIGHT-

Another Wii u question. At launch you could keep your Wii vc games even after transferring. Is that possible? I know the process was shady, but c'mon they're over priced anyways :p

Eh, hero mode reminds me of Metroid Zero Mission, where easy is insulting, normal is too easy, and hard mode overcompensates for the cake walk they subject you to first. WW definitely threw way, way too many hearts at you, but they should balance the frequency with which they appear, not ditch them altogether. Enemies doing twice the damage is a fine start, but they could have just cut the three heart drops and halved or quartered how often hearts dropped overall. But no, it's all or nothing.

This seems to be Nintendo's solution to any criticism about their games being too easy. Offer baby mode or fuck you mode. Kinda bummed that this WW is only going halfway to address the problems with the game. Even when they acknowledge the shortcomings of the original product the solutions are clumsy or inadequate. We'll speed up the boat for pacing (a good thing), but won't throw in a handful of mini dungeons where the game is clearly lacking content. And that would be fine if it was priced like a normal HD remake, but they're charging full price for band-aid solutions to a game that the director has openly acknowledged was left unfinished. Kinda weak imo. I will pick it up eventually, but it's sort of at the bottom of my priority list. Maybe next year after a price drop...

Anth0ny

Eh, hero mode reminds me of Metroid Zero Mission, where easy is insulting, normal is too easy, and hard mode overcompensates for the cake walk they subject you to first. WW definitely threw way, way too many hearts at you, but they should balance the frequency with which they appear, not ditch them altogether. Enemies doing twice the damage is a fine start, but they could have just cut the three heart drops and halved or quartered how often hearts dropped overall. But no, it's all or nothing.

This seems to be Nintendo's solution to any criticism about their games being too easy. Offer baby mode or fuck you mode. Kinda bummed that this WW is only going halfway to address the problems with the game. Even when they acknowledge the shortcomings of the original product the solutions are clumsy or inadequate. We'll speed up the boat for pacing (a good thing), but won't throw in a handful of mini dungeons where the game is clearly lacking content. And that would be fine if it was priced like a normal HD remake, but they're charging full price for band-aid solutions to a game that the director has openly acknowledged was left unfinished. Kinda weak imo. I will pick it up eventually, but it's sort of at the bottom of my priority list. Maybe next year after a price drop...

Agreed. Anyone could create their own hero mode in a Zelda game. It's called a 3 heart run.

I wish they could have taken the effort to actually remix the dungeons ala OOT Master Quest, or at the VERY least changed the enemy placement around in Hero Mode to make it harder.

javac

I really hope so, otherwise it's the saddest thing in the world. All early adopters are universally screwed over. That's the price you pay for enjoying the new hotness before us unwashed masses do.

Early adopters aren't fucked over unless they are stupid. Early adopters get to play with the latest and greatest first but also get a ton of incentives like 10 NES and 10 GBA games for the 3DS as well as a crap load of other free games and sales to take advantage of. I've got a load of free retail and eShop games on my 3DS since launch thanks to NoE.

Wii U got the 30p Virtual Console games, and early adopters got to play with the Wii U first. And since I was extra smart I got my deluxe Wii U for £180 day one. Why would I be upset with a bundle a year later? I got my monies worth out of my Wii U already.

Actually, there were already a few mini-dungeons in the original game. Due to the long time sailing and the money grinding, though, they felt far inbetween and were likely underappreciated. We also don't know if they have made other changes besides the ones they announced.

Honestly, having no heart drops is probably a good way to go considering that the game did have an interesting potion system that most people didn't bother to use unless they were doing the bonus dungeon. When we consider things like that, I believe there was a focus on balancing the game so that people will actually use and appricate the features that the original already had.

IrishNinja

might try hero mode...but man i want that controller now, maybe ill get a decent decal later or something.

actually i'd dig a zelda 3DS XL model already, loved my OG one but i can't go back

BY2K

Membero Americo
The "Intend to Buy" time limit on the Club Nintendo for the eShop version of WWHD ends 2 weeks earlier than the retail version.

Wat.

Sheroking

Agreed. Anyone could create their own hero mode in a Zelda game. It's called a 3 heart run.

You can't do a completionist three heart run.

I've often felt that hearts shouldn't be findable in the environment. It's the only way potions will ever matter, and it makes finding and collecting bottles more useful.

I like the hard mode. And me doing my own hard mode works just as well as cookies on the top shelf. If they are in the house I'm eating cookies.

The "Intend to Buy" time limit on the Club Nintendo for the eShop version of WWHD ends 2 weeks earlier than the retail version.

Wat.

Maybe the pack-in copy is a digital code, and the bundle is more likely to hit store shelves before the retail disc?

big_erk

Great Nintendo. Fucking early adopters again.

I'm through buying Nintendo consoles on day 1. Fuck you Nintendo for fucking those of us who bought the Wii U and 3DS early on so you could release special Zelda editions as a reward to late adopters.

/rage

Wow! How is this fucking early adopters? The way you are going off, you would think there were never any SE 360s or PS3s. Yep, it's just Nintendo. Maybe, just maybe, they waited to release the Zelda SE console at the same time as the game it celebrates.

I already have a cheap wii u basic but ireally want the zelda bundle now lol. I got two purchase downloads on my wii u already (mother & nsmb) am I screwed? :( plus I can take advantage of the digital points deal.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I already have a cheap wii u basic but ireally want the zelda bundle now lol. I got two purchase downloads on my wii u already (mother & nsmb) am I screwed? :( plus I can take advantage of the digital points deal.

yes, you're screwed. You could maybe copy your Earthbound and Mario saves... maybe? But yeah, the license is gone if you move to another WiiU

D-e-f-

Banned

What you need to do instead of going on a messageboard is ring up Nintendo's customer service and say that you want to upgrade and ask if they could help you out (hoping they might give you eShop funds or something). It's not a guarantee but as we have heard multiple times ...if YOU are nice, maybe THEY are nice to you too.

Until they introduce updated, transferrable accounts that's how it is.

RagnarokX

You can buy the Zelda Wii U, keep the new gamepad since that's the only thing special about it, and gift the new Wii U and your old gamepad to someone else or sell them.

tchaten

Neo Member
yes, you're screwed. You could maybe copy your Earthbound and Mario saves... maybe? But yeah, the license is gone if you move to another WiiU

I heard that the upcoming summer update will add system transfer and it would make sense to launch with the new Zelda Wii U - so hopefully that happens. One of the guys over at Kotaku implied that would happen when I asked on Twitter about it.

D-e-f-

Banned
I heard that the upcoming summer update will add system transfer and it would make sense to launch with the new Zelda Wii U - so hopefully that happens. One of the guys over at Kotaku implied that would happen when I asked on Twitter about it.

nobody knows WHEN it's coming. it's all rumormill stuff. we know Nintendo is working on features like that but we don't know if they'll be in the "summer" (fall) update.

Top Bottom