• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special edition of Charlie Hebdo will feauture caricatures of Mohammed

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.sky.com/story/1406541/new-charlie-hebdo-to-show-mohammed-cartoons

Breaking News just now

A special edition of Charlie Hebdo produced after last week's newsroom massacre will feature caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed, according to its lawyer.

Richard Malka told French radio the upcoming publication will "obviously" lampoon Mohammed - among other figures - to show staff will "cede nothing" to extremists seeking to silence them.

The two gunmen who slaughtered 12 people in their attack on Charlie Hebdo's offices last Wednesday, claim to have carried out the attack in revenge for previous Mohammed cartoons printed in the magazine.

The armed killers, brothers Cherif and Said Kouachi, claimed to belong to the jihadist group Al Qaeda in Yemen.

They were killed on Friday, as was an accomplice claiming to belong to the rival Islamic State group, Amedy Coulibaly, who killed a policewoman and then four Jewish shoppers at a kosher supermarket.

Archer

rO0ABXQAdmZ7aHR0cDovL3d3dy5pbmRlcGVuZGVudC5jby51ay9pbmNvbWluZy9hcnRpY2xlOTk2MzYxNy5lY2UvYWx0ZXJuYXRlcy93NjIwL3dlYi1kYXZlLWJyb3duLXBhcmlzLWNhcnRvb24uanBnfWY3Nzc3ZjMyMHQ=.jpg

Special Edition? Are they cashing in on all the publicity?

No, the article is full of shit. The CH staff said it would be a regular edition. Not an 'obituary' edition, not a 'homage edition', nothing of the sort. It's gonna be the same old Charlie Hebdo, with the same spirit, "as normal as possible". (Source: Le Monde)

tbm24

Hoping this wednesday I can find a copy here in NYC. Gonna scour a few magazine shops around my job in the morning.

Richard Malka told French radio the upcoming publication will "obviously" lampoon Mohammed - among other figures - to show staff will "cede nothing" to extremists seeking to silence them.

This is exactly what needs to be done.

I also like that it'll feature other figures, so people can't claim he's singling out just Islam.

Majine

Banned
No, the article is full of shit. The CH staff said it would be a regular edition. Not an 'obituary' edition, not a 'homage edition', nothing of the sort. It's gonna be the same old Charlie Hebdo, with the same spirit.

I thought there would be multiple versions, guess I should've worded that phrase differently. Sorry.

I think it's time to retire the old Fresh = Surrender stereotype and replace it with French = Owner of giant testicles stereotype. I salute them.

Holmes

Can't believe they're gonna insult all devoted Muslims to send the middle finger to some extremist terrorists. They have no integrity.

la_briola

Can't believe they're gonna insult all devoted Muslims to send the middle finger to some extremist terrorists. They have no integrity.
integrity
/ɪnˈtɛɡrɪti/
noun
the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles.

the state of being whole and undivided.

Can't see it.

Oh boo frickin hoo. The "insulted" folk can learn to take a joke.
There is such a thing as satire and nothing should be safe from criticism.
Now if the cartoons are gross and offensive, then that's a different story.

Arksy

Yes, that's exactly what they're going to do. The choice of what to do about it is up to devout Muslims.

But as a Muslim, shouldn't you want to send a middle finger to these terrorists who give real devout Muslims a bad reputation? They need to be fought.

Laurent Léger, reporter for Charlie Hebdo, told Le Monde:

"I don't want us to make an obituary newspaper, I want us to make a newspaper to talk about the challenge of existing, the challenge of saying things, to keep fighting against stupidity, against human idiocy, against obscurantism, against all kinds of fundamentalism."

lord quas

Good. I hope they offend all devoted muslims. And all other religions while they're at it. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't.

Moff

this post doesnt make sense at all. they did muhammad cartoons before, it's why they were targeted in the first place.
not doing any muhammad cartoons ever again would be a sign of no integrity.

Darklord

Banned

Luckily there's a thing called free speech. Drawing Mohammad only became taboo when extremists started doing this shit. Look at South Park. They had him flying around in an episode and no one cared. Years later they show him standing there silently and it was completely censored.

Not drawing it just lets the terrorists win and get their way. Fuck them.

Alx

Let's not pretend that this will likely make a huge amount of money.

I'm pretty sure they said that the benefits from their one-million copy would go to the families of the deceased. They did ask for donations for direct financial support of the magazine, though.

Insulting and offending people is what Charlie Hebdo does. Can't blame them for lack of integrity when they stick to that goal, even after people tried to silence them.

The right response.

Terrorists try to silence Freedom of Expression, publishing the depictions worldwide in millions, is the right answer against the attempt of silencing.

Will be getting one.

536311-hebdo.jpg

Moderates shouldn't care - way I see it it's only going to effect fundamentalists, who could probably stand to be offended more often.

empanada

Not sure how I feel about this... On one hand, it's good that they're not bowing down to the extremists. On the other hand, this feels like petty/childish revenge. But maybe that's business as usual for them...

Seanspeed

Banned
Eh, religious fundamentalism is a huge blight on the world. If you're so devout in your religion that you actually feel personally insulted by the picture of Mohammed in a magazine, then you are likely part of the problem, even if indirectly.

I'm very divided.

On the one hand, I'm glad they're standing their ground for the right to freedom of speech and the press without fear of outside oppression.

On the other hand, this is in really poor taste - for Muslims, I'd imagine it's effectively the equivalent of making a really sick rape joke.

And on the other other hand, I'm a big proponent for the idea that just because something is culturally taboo doesn't mean we need to act like there's some kind of taboo police.

And on the other other other hand, I'm not really an advocate for behaving like a tool toward anyone, regardless of how much you think they epitomize "stupidity... human idiocy... obscuritanism... fundamentalism." So I'll have to see if caricaturing Mohammed is essential to their message...or if it's really just done in poor taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom