• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

Velcro Fly

usedpizza with a PB on Mega Man 10. Sub 35 definitely possible. He was -11.6 going into the finally Wily fight. 35:09 is the new WR.

Gintoki

Puncayshun just dethroned Siglemic.

new 120 Star WR 1:43:42.89

Puncay just took down Sig's 70 Star WR

49:05.66

giphy.gif

LordAlu

So... SGDQ is coming up on the 22nd and I don't think ill have time curate a thread for it.
Any takers?
I would but I'm away whilst SGDQ is on, so I wouldn't be able to update it. It would be best if someone who could regularly update the OP did it.

TUSR

Banned
I would but I'm away whilst SGDQ is on, so I wouldn't be able to update it. It would be best if someone who could regularly update the OP did it.

I was updating the AGDQ thread every couple of hours back in January, I just don't have the time to commit to the SGDQ one.

LordAlu

I was updating the AGDQ thread every couple of hours back in January, I just don't have the time to commit to the SGDQ one.
I wish I did have the time to, I'd have no problem with it if I wasn't going to be near a computer regularly for 3 weeks :/

TxdoHawk

I am totally staying up late Wedneasay night / Thursday morning for that ZZT run, what an awesome random throwback game to speedrun.

RhyDin

Hi, new to this thread, have a question.

What's stopping someone from theoretically taking the inputs (as used in a TAS, for example) and pretending they have a controller hooked up to a real console, or building something that would send inputs to a real console to achieve a world record and claiming it was authentic? It's my understanding that most consoles of yesteryear have rules on most sites for world records of simply hooking directly into a DVD recorder.

If done well - and this would be relatively easy to build and pull off - how would you tell?

danielcw

What's stopping someone from theoretically taking the inputs (as used in a TAS, for example) and pretending they have a controller hooked up to a real console, or building something that would send inputs to a real console to achieve a world record and claiming it was authentic?

Right now on the spot I can think of these issues:

Humans:
  • Humans verify your videos. If your video looks to perfect, some sites may ask you for a video proof of you doing stuff. For example Speed Demos Archive states it in their rules that they may want you to prove you did not use turbo controllers.
    (one would have to tone down his "perfectness")

Timing:
  • Not every console works at perfect 60fps, and it isn't 59,94fps either.
    IIRC an SNES works at closer to 60,1fps. And not every SNES build may have the same timing, one would have to measure it, or your input will drift, either lag behind, or be too fast. (one may design his inputs to play it save, and not strife for perfect abuse like a TAS can)
  • Then there is visual input lag, making it also harder to time things.
  • A game's code may be able to handle input every frame, but the hardware may not

Velcro Fly

You'd have to be pretty good for it to be a realistic run. Most communities have quite a few runners that know what is and isn't really possible for a run. If you are taking time to make a "realistic TAS" you might as well go whole hog and just do a TAS. Also as shallow as it sounds, with everything being streamed now, if some random person comes along with a video of them getting the world record it's going to raise tons of questions anyway. And if a well known and respected person in the community does it it's really sad. With twitch VODs and YouTube and everything being recorded now it's incredibly unlikely something like that would fool people for very long.

Velcro Fly

Hate to double post but Checkers with a 37:55 on mega man 4 for a world record. Now has WR in two of the best 3 classic Mega Man games (3 and 4)! Too bad I think he's streaming on an alt now so I have no idea when we'll see a video of this. Between an awesome Mega Man 3 run at SGDQ and now this, dude is on a major roll lately.

weaKwillO

Mario 602 stars race is going to start in about 30 minutes. Runners are going to race Super Mario 64 120, Super Mario Galaxy 120, Super Mario Sunshine 120 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 242 for their 602 total.

List of runners as well as links to their streams and estimated times at this link: Here

Revven

Who's making the ESA marathon thread by the way? I know it's not for a few weeks yet but just want to check if that's even happening. :p

Revven

I think TUSR is making the thread and the lineup is looking pretty good.

Current draft of ESA scedule.

Yeah, I found that schedule earlier today. They have a really, really good lineup of games that I wanna watch.

And MM 100% Co-op as the finale sounds amazing. I just hope I'll be up when they do it (and the other games, of course). I guess in a way it being a Euro stream kind of benefits me and anyone in the US because if it's late in EU it's (typically) early in the day in America.

It'll be like SGDQ Part 2 lol.

Velcro Fly

What were the final times?

360chrism got 24 hours 7 minutes, doing grandmaster galaxy without dying for both stars. He says he's going to do the run again in the future for a sub 24 hour time.

nocturne finished second with 24 hours 33 minutes

mlstrm - 25 hours, 52 minutes

theepicflame - 26 hours, 23 minutes

snarfybobo - 29 hours, 7 minutes

nkilller - 29 hours, 38 minutes

two are still going. Devil6lair just has the perfect run to do and they are finished. tww2 has quite a bit left so it might go beyond 36 hours if they do finish.

everyone else gave up or never showed up.

special shoutouts to okikurume who was apparently awake for 10 or 12 hours before the race even began.

Toufool just got a 41:55 on Diddy Kong Racing any%, beating the WR by about a minute 40 seconds.

Didn't start watching him until seeing his GDQ video a couple of weeks ago and hot damn does he go fast

Top Bottom