• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

Velcro Fly

I go back to that one night he was drunk on stream and he said he was going to do this. It's been months and he finally did it.

belushy

Banned
"Oh Cosmo is streaming, guess I'll check it out since I'm not doing anythin.... WTF 18:10??"

Pretty much my reaction to tuning into his stream a minute or two again. Didn't get to see the run yet, but he seems to be reviewing now though.

edit: Wind Waker again pls Cosmo

bon

Ah I missed it! I watched him streaming last night and he was getting crazy good runs so I knew this was coming soon.

LordAlu

Records keep on falling. Demoon9 just set a new Wind Waker WR of 4:21:00.61

demoon_zps998786ac.png

Still plenty of time available to save as well. That time is only going down :)

belushy

Banned
Records keep on falling. Demoon9 just set a new Wind Waker WR of 4:21:00.61

demoon_zps998786ac.png

Still plenty of time available to save as well. That time is only going down :)

Nice, good for him! I hopped in on the stream once or twice and noticed it was a decent run but had to go so I didn't see him finish.

CassSept

I'm not an expert or anything, far from it, but hell, it seems like there an absolute ton of records beaten in the last few days.

Mohasus

puncay almost got a 1:42 on Mario64 last night, but he choked it away in the last level.

I'm impressed. Yesterday I saw 6k viewers on Super Mario 64 and thought siglemic was streaming again, and then not only it was a new guy, but he had beaten sigle twice and then did it a third time. Now he is -20s on the fourth split.

Velcro Fly

Pretty sure Checkers just got the Super Mario RPG WR. Won't know for a few minutes since the credits have to run

2:53:21

3 minutes off his previous PB.

Checkers is God gamer confirmed

Revven

SpikeVegeta just got WR in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Proud Mode 3:26:50, the previous record was 3:28:22. He PB'd by 6 minutes -- he had a 3:32 before this run.

Mohasus

Can someone explain to me how puncayshun is able to improve his WR every other day? Even doing some big mistakes and having bad luck with glitches he does 1:43 consistently (and he would have 1:42 today if that invisible wall didn't exist).

siglemic played the game for a whole month and it was like a week or 2 for some improvement. I remember how hard it was for his first 1:43.

TUSR

Banned
ESA has begun!!

http://www.twitch.tv/ludendi

TUSR pls BibleThump ;)

TUSR pls come on ESA needs the thread ;~;

Someone made a thread when I was going to post mine. So I just deleted all my graphics and shit.

Can someone explain to me how puncayshun is able to improve his WR every other day? Even doing some big mistakes and having bad luck with glitches he does 1:43 consistently (and he would have 1:42 today if that invisible wall didn't exist).

siglemic played the game for a whole month and it was like a week or 2 for some improvement. I remember how hard it was for his first 1:43.

Because Puncay is extremely good and consistent. He's not using individual star techniques that the Japanese community uses.

ApolloJoh

Goose finally got the 1:02 on Bunker 1 00A? I remember I started watching him a lot when he was going for that record last year.

Guess that long break from it paid off lol. He's been on a roll lately.

Velcro Fly

Cosmo uploaded his OoT Any% 18:10 with post-commentary

It's really good and insightful! I recommend watching it.

So this gets linked to at another forum I frequent and the entire topic is people whining about how a true speedrun doesn't skip the whole game or doesn't use glitches and I just want to tear my hair out. Or the guy that says it's not impressive because it skips the whole game. I know these people have no idea the work it took to not only do runs and get this time but also to find every single glitch and trick used to make the run go fast.

It's one thing to say I think OoT any% is a boring run to watch because the entire game gets skipped but diminishing the accomplishment of getting that time because you have no idea of anything involved in getting that time.

redhairedking

So this gets linked to at another forum I frequent and the entire topic is people whining about how a true speedrun doesn't skip the whole game or doesn't use glitches and I just want to tear my hair out. Or the guy that says it's not impressive because it skips the whole game. I know these people have no idea the work it took to not only do runs and get this time but also to find every single glitch and trick used to make the run go fast.

It's one thing to say I think OoT any% is a boring run to watch because the entire game gets skipped but diminishing the accomplishment of getting that time because you have no idea of anything involved in getting that time.

They also clearly did not watch the video since Cosmo explains the complexity of what he does.

Kill them all.

But yeah, I just opt to ignore those guys. They don't understand what speedrunning is about, and they never will. Your breath would be used better yelling at a wall.

Velcro Fly

1:42 by the hair on his chinny chin chin

most clutch bowser throws ever too. not a single one ever in doubt. no matter how good a runner is they always seem to be sketchy on throws. will need to time it but it looks to be sub 1:43

E-Cat

1:42 by the hair on his chinny chin chin

most clutch bowser throws ever too. not a single one ever in doubt. no matter how good a runner is they always seem to be sketchy on throws. will need to time it but it looks to be sub 1:43

I'ts not certain yet, he has to time it by frame. He got a 49:00:00 flat on 70 star after re-timing like a month ago.

Edit: Got it, 1:42:59:67. It was a very sub-optimal run, though, 1:41 is clearly possible. But I don't think Puncay is going for it now, he seems very bored of the game. And Sig is semi-retired.

Puncayshun is probably the most frustrating speed gamer to watch live. Dude runs ads constantly when he's streaming. I can understand an ad or two when you reset, but ads show up during the middle of his runs, too. Grats to him or whatever, though.

Jokab

You must have missed the topic on GAF right after he set the WR. It was 10 pages of people ignorantly complaining that it was illegitimate, and then other people (me including) calling those people out. The best part was the guy saying that "glitch runs" is a separate thing from "speed runs" (he was an authority on this since he had the WR of Red Steel 2, a record he streamed on his friend's twitch account that is now closed, go figure). He even went on to say that "glitch runs" were a subclass of "speed runs" but not actual "speed runs". Which of course makes no sense since if X is a subclass of Y, then X is by definition an Y.

Velcro Fly

You must have missed the topic on GAF right after he set the WR. It was 10 pages of people ignorantly complaining that it was illegitimate, and then other people (me including) calling those people out. The best part was the guy saying that "glitch runs" is a separate thing from "speed runs" (he was an authority on this since he had the WR of Red Steel 2, a record he streamed on his friend's twitch account that is now closed, go figure). He even went on to say that "glitch runs" were a subclass of "speed runs" but not actual "speed runs". Which of course makes no sense since if X is a subclass of Y, then X is by definition an Y.

Yeah I saw that. I just stayed out of it because I had nothing nice to say.

And yeah I've seen that argument. I've tried to steer some of the people I've talked about to other categories like glitchless or all dungeons or no wrong warp because other categories don't skip almost the entire game. But the ones that just dismiss it for heavy glitch use are a lost cause.

edit: And apparently most of them will only watch a run with commentary. It's a close knit community and I'm well liked or else I'd get really snarky and tell them to watch a let's play instead

Released

So Twitch VoDs are apparently going to start being limited to less than 2 hours in length. Kinda sucks for longer speedruns.

Revven

I just made an account on hitbox just in case speedrunners start moving there (mainly the ones I watch). It doesn't look like hitbox gets many viewers yet (highest amount I saw on front page is 700?) So, even if I felt like streaming on there it's possible even a new user like me could get viewers.

But anyway that if I wanted to stream -- mainly going to watch like always. But still, Twitch is going down the shitter.

Top Bottom