• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

Stream went down again when he was showing the replay at the same point. He said he's fairly positive he's being DDoS'd now and knows who's doing it.

CassSept

SPLICED RUN

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Honestly though, this guy. Chokes near the end, dies at Rainbow Ride and still beats WR by 15 seconds. This guy.

kick51

Banned
Sig is kill

and cosmo is currently announcing moving on to bigger and better things on his stream.

I'm getting a real "end of an era" feeling from the scene right now. had a great time watching speed runs and learning more than I thought I wanted to know about gaming for the past few years.

and cosmo is currently announcing moving on to bigger and better things on his stream.

I'm getting a real "end of an era" feeling from the scene right now. had a great time watching speed runs and learning more than I thought I wanted to know about gaming for the past few years.

What?
The speedrunning scene doesn't only consist of cosmo and siglemic, you know? It's never been as healthy and thriving as it is now.

kick51

Banned
What?
The speedrunning scene doesn't only consist of cosmo and siglemic, you know? It's never been as healthy and thriving as it is now.

yeah, I know it's more than just them. I don't even watch cosmo or sig all that much, but after a couple of years watching it grow, I get the feeling that it won't be like before. I realize there are more people into it and it's bigger. But that also means more people trying to get a piece of it. Less intimacy, more vying to be "a hit" at GDQs. A lot of people I watched before don't stream as much and when they do, their chats are shittier and they themselves seem different. It's a crossed a line of sorts. Like seeing a band grow from being a bar band to playing larger venues + arenas. There are way more indicators than just sig not streaming and cosmo's stream tonight, but I don't really feel like going into it. Something about cosmo moving on highlights the rest of it to me.

Some of this stuff is personal as a viewer-- I went from knowing zero to watching so much that I learned about a shit load of games in a short amount of time and I don't do much speed running of my own. So the initial spark of discovering something new and getting really into it wore off.

/whiskey

Velcro Fly

speedrunners sometimes feel like let's players that instead of playing old nintendo games play the same games very fast. people watch more for their personality instead of the game. people like cosmo because he runs some cool games and is generally very good but also because he seems to be a nice guy. i follow any number of speedrunners on twitch partially for interest in games they play but partially because they have agreeable personalities that i don't mind listening to as background noise.

speedrunning is more popular than ever if AGDQ submissions are any indication. if some people slow down on speedrunning, new people are constantly entering and will take their place. if cosmo or sig or whoever want to move on to bigger and better things besides streaming video games all the time, more power to them.

also AGDQ games list is up somewhere but i haven't even bothered to look

kick51

Banned
yeah, i want to clarify that I'm kind of lamenting, but I'm happy for people that move on. Not salty so much as knowing that growing pains were coming and feeling like that's kind of coming to fruition. I have my criticisms of the scene, but more people in on actually speedgaming is a good thing. hopefully AGDQ '15 isn't a conspicuous "twitch career networking event"

I actively avoid runners who seem to stream just to get popular and get twitchbux and donations, at least if it seems that way to me. I still follow hunderds of people and many of the stream regualrly with a small following and they're extremely dedicated to their game and just want to get good runs in because they like doing it. Even bigger channels with twitch partnership are often still very down to earth and all about the game. There are enough people out there so you can avoid the shitty ones.

AGDQ has taken an unfortunate direction and the organizer(s) want it to grow bigger and bigger with the focus primarily on bigger viewer numbers and donations, and less on the celebration of the speedrunning community and that might attract the wrong people. Thankfully, there are a ton of smaller marathons all the time! For example, this weekend starting today is the JRTA marathon which focusses on Japanese games to bring Japanese runners to AGDQ and get them more involved with the international community, which is awesome.

JRTA schedule
JRTA twitch page

(Also FFT is included in that one so it's better by default)

Well, AGDQ always has been about the money, so obviously they want to have as many people as possible that will bring in viewers/money. I don't see this development as "unfortunate", either. You might not enjoy the direction GDQ is going as a viewer/runner for whatever reason, but you can't call it "unfortunate".
The event still is a celebration of the speedrunning community, but obviously time is limited, and with submissions being in the hundreds at this point, they can't bring in every obscure game, and rather would maximize the donations they can get for Prevent Cancer Foundation respectively Doctors Without Borders. If you had the choice of 1h of Zelda or 1h of some Ethiopian-developed indie flash game, what would you pick? :p

And as you point out, there's plenty of other marathon options if you don't like the whole donation idea. Speedrunning marathons have become incredibly varied, with marathons dedicated to certain series or themes (such as RPGs, or bad games, etc), some of which don't even do any sort of donation drive.

@kick51:
I understand your gripe, and I can see where you're coming from (certain streamers just shooting for the twitchbux now etc), but there's still a LOT of people who are just streaming to play the games they love. Sadly, those people don't get a lot of viewers, because they just weren't lucky enough to pull enough viewers for one reason or another - usually it's the game choice, but even great runners of Mario 64 or Pokemon aren't as popular, particularly those that aren't the WR holders. A lot of stream monsters only care for the WRs. So if you want to find the more chill streams of people who just love their games, you have to actually hear of them from other speedrunners, or stumble over them on your own by browsing twitch.

Well, AGDQ always has been about the money, so obviously they want to have as many people as possible that will bring in viewers/money. I don't see this development as "unfortunate", either. You might not enjoy the direction GDQ is going as a viewer/runner for whatever reason, but you can't call it "unfortunate".
The event still is a celebration of the speedrunning community, but obviously time is limited, and with submissions being in the hundreds at this point, they can't bring in every obscure game, and rather would maximize the donations they can get for Prevent Cancer Foundation respectively Doctors Without Borders. If you had the choice of 1h of Zelda or 1h of some Ethiopian-developed indie flash game, what would you pick? :p

Calling it "unfortunate" is my opinion of course. That should be a given, and not everyone has to agree. I never liked the huge focus on donations (donation comments especially) and money, and the selection of games and the organization has been declining in quality as well
imo
. It's great event, I'm just not looking forward to it as much as I used to.

I dunno, I don't think research into cancer and cancer prevention or supporting Doctors Without Borders is unfortunate by any stretch of the imagination.
And honestly, I do agree in several regards with you, I am not a big fan of the GDQ marathons myself anymore, but I can't begrudge it or their decisions for the games they pick because, well, it's their business, and it also is for a good cause.
So if they put in another Mega Man game instead of some less popular game, I'm ok with that. As a human being, I have the option to individually choose which runs to watch and which games/runners to support with my viewership. And there's always the option of not watching it at all.

Does it suck for runners to get rejected? Yes, but with the massive amounts of people that submit runs nowadays, somebody has to get the boot. But there's no reason to be upset about it, or publicly flip tables and call AGDQ a shit event or something, like some people do.

For instance, and that's my opinion as much as you have yours, FFT (since you brought it up earlier) is an extremely boring run to watch. It's super technical if you know what's going on. But it's like 5 hours long, and in those 5 hours, you could fit 5 to 10 games quite easily. And then you'd have more variety of runners and games represented, which is something you seem to want. FFT also is uninteresting to watch for people who don't know the game. It's mostly mashing through text boxes and menuing and it's really hard to appreciate the strategical planning that goes into it. Heck, I've played the game, but I find the speedrun such a boring watch still. It's nice to have as background noise, though, cause it's got good music. :p

LeleSocho

Banned

yeah, I know it's more than just them. I don't even watch cosmo or sig all that much, but after a couple of years watching it grow, I get the feeling that it won't be like before. I realize there are more people into it and it's bigger. But that also means more people trying to get a piece of it. Less intimacy, more vying to be "a hit" at GDQs. A lot of people I watched before don't stream as much and when they do, their chats are shittier and they themselves seem different. It's a crossed a line of sorts. Like seeing a band grow from being a bar band to playing larger venues + arenas. There are way more indicators than just sig not streaming and cosmo's stream tonight, but I don't really feel like going into it. Something about cosmo moving on highlights the rest of it to me.
Has Cosmo ever said what he's going to do specifically? He mentioned that he's moving away from streaming to do more "fascinating" stuff because of new interests he found but nothing ultra specific.

Though i too feel like that the initial era of speedrunning is over, lots of people is nowhere to be found anymore and most of the new people are just greedy bastards... earlier this year i cut my following list to less of half because of people not streaming anymore.
Just yesterday i asked romscout why he wasn't streaming anymore, if it was for work/school stuff or just because he's tired.
I'm ok with people moving on with their lives and to a certain point it's almost expected that people in their late teens/early twenties move on after 3 or so years of doing only speedruns but selfishly i thought that this thing of the speedrun community was going to last.
Nowadays of the old guard remain only zfg and werster that streams regularly... kinda sad.

Fake Edit: Ok i'm watching yesterday's stream of Cosmo, essentially he's studying math, physics and i think computer science because he see similarities with speedrunning problems so he can move on from just entertaining people on the internet and doing more important stuff. He will now only focus on Goldeneye Individual Levels and OoT All Dungeons.
What can i say... can't blame him for trying more stuff but it's extremely sad and i don't think i'll follow him anymore as he'll do two extremely boring games to watch (for me at least).

Nowadays of the old guard remain only zfg and werster that streams regularly... kinda sad.

That's not true either lol.
There's still PLENTY of old speedrunners that regularly stream - every or just about every day I see streams online of Adam AK, zoasty, miles, caleb, carcinogen, emptyeye, darkwing duck, murphagator, obda and mistermv, all of which are "old guard" that have been in the community ever since before CGDQ etc., and I'm not even following everybody who has been speedrunning for a long time. Also, several other people stream at least a few times a week, like puwexil.

Of course many people will be busy with RL, but there's plenty of older people (both from the community and age-wise) that have been streaming regularly.

There's no death sentence for "classic" speedrunners that has been spoken out, there's no coming doom of speedrunning as we know it. Some people might move on, and even if some of them are popular, who cares. There's many others to fill the spots.

Has Cosmo ever said what he's going to do specifically? He mentioned that he's moving away from streaming to do more "fascinating" stuff because of new interests he found but nothing ultra specific.

Though i too feel like that the initial era of speedrunning is over, lots of people is nowhere to be found anymore and most of the new people are just greedy bastards... earlier this year i cut my following list to less of half because of people not streaming anymore.
Just yesterday i asked romscout why he wasn't streaming anymore, if it was for work/school stuff or just because he's tired.
I'm ok with people moving on with their lives and to a certain point it's almost expected that people in their late teens/early twenties move on after 3 or so years of doing only speedruns but selfishly i thought that this thing of the speedrun community was going to last.

Fake Edit: Ok i'm watching yesterday's stream of Cosmo, essentially he's studying math, physics and i think computer science because he see similarities with speedrunning problems so he can move on from just entertaining people on the internet and doing more important stuff. He will now only focus on Goldeneye Individual Levels and OoT All Dungeons.
What can i say... can't blame him for trying more stuff but it's extremely sad and i don't think i'll follow him anymore as he'll do two extremely boring games to watch (for me at least).

Cool for him. He seems to be incredibly analytical and honestly his ability to explain what was going on in games at potentially the lower level to cause the bugs was part of why I enjoyed watching his streams.

JRTA marathon mentioned earlier just started.

http://www.twitch.tv/jrtamarathon

Gonna make sure I tune in for Claude's run of FFT. Dude is pretty funny.

kick51

Banned
unfollowed a bunch of people who gained followers by latching on to the speed run scene and now only do variety streams with memes and other patronizing crap with "cool layouts"

Velcro Fly

Is that anyone in particular? It seems like you are mad that a few people you liked as speedrunners are just relaxing with other games.

kick51

Banned
gilder, gamej06, TMR

they also share the lovely quality of getting angry and yelling at/ranting at viewers, especially TMR.

LordAlu

So I broke the mystical sub 1 hour mark in Zero Mission 100%

trm-mzms_002_zps2734af91.png

Had a great run all the way up to the escape, when the workbot decided to troll me and wouldn't get out of the way at all. Then as I was going for spark I got hit by a pirate. Even so, I finished with about -40s (after Iron Ted I was -1:15). What annoys me is if I'd have got a good escape, it could even have been a 58!

Twitch highlight of the run is here:
http://www.twitch.tv/lordalu/c/5246873

Gunsmithx

So I broke the mystical sub 1 hour mark in Zero Mission 100%

trm-mzms_002_zps2734af91.png

Had a great run all the way up to the escape, when the workbot decided to troll me and wouldn't get out of the way at all. Then as I was going for spark I got hit by a pirate. Even so, I finished with about -40s (after Iron Ted I was -1:15). What annoys me is if I'd have got a good escape, it could even have been a 58!

Twitch highlight of the run is here:
http://www.twitch.tv/lordalu/c/5246873

Awesome man, I'm watching it now but thats great!

Collete

Hello, I'm not exactly sure where to ask this but it's kind of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die related but I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with this.

Ok so, I'm not sure if anyone here actually uses "DarkSaves" but basically it's this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/465/
I'm trying to use this for speedruns to practice the BKH route.

And for the life of me, I'm unable to actually get it working. I can save my state just fine, but I can't load it for whatever reason. I put my save file on "read only" but it still did nothing. The .ahk file is running along side the program so...I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong.
Any help would be appreciate because I asked about everywhere and trying to tinker with this but with no good result.

GAF is literally my only hope...T_T

Edit: I think it's fixed.... my save file got extremely corrupted because it was working with DSfix by Durante so I had to reinstall Dark Souls again. Deleted my original save file, Darksaves, and Dsfix. It fixed that problem. Reinstalled Darksaves and Autohotkey and it's working like a charm. So weird it can't work with DSfix :\

LeleSocho

Banned
So, romscout just got a new PB/WR - 17:15 in SotN. And he says there's still time to be shaved off.

ARGH!
i watched him all morning and he gets the PB when i'm eating, THE RAGE!

By the way, if you are on Yosemite and use Safari you can safely watch twitch without flash, truly a godsend in my opinion... the only downside is that you can't neither see nor use chat.

Honestly it depends on the chat. Most of the time it's pretty bad, but sometimes there's some really chill chats (especially in smaller streams).

Oh, rad, feels like it's been a while since Umihara Kawase at AGDQ.

Not really a whole lot else I'm super eager to see, but I've only briefly looked over the list.

Tizoc

I can't access Google Docs at work, if it's not too much trouble could someone post the games?

one game I would love to see on AGDQ and its sister events is Velocity 2X.

BTW what're some impressive speedruns from AGDQ and SGDQ that are worth watching? At work and I want something to pass these next 6ish hours :V

Top Bottom