• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

FireSol

I can't really figure out what he's doing to gain so many seconds--his route seems about the same. Is it just general better execution?

Yep, most of the time is't better execution or more efficient strat + RNG line how many cycle will take to kill a Mummy

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's very cool that he 's got the old WR playing in the corner. Makes it a lot easier to see when he's ahead or behind. I'd love to see more runners do something like that, but maybe it adds too much pressure.

I can't really figure out what he's doing to gain so many seconds--his route seems about the same. Is it just general better execution?

I thought that was super cool and useful as well. I don't think it would add too much stress to the streamer since they're probably playing off of the TV, not the stream feed.

New PB for Silent Hill 4. 1h00m47s. Getting closer to the WR of 57m49s.

10841949_1573593676217335_3555209251600359148_o.jpg

http://www.twitch.tv/aneternalenigma/c/5795821

LeleSocho

Banned
That's very cool that he 's got the old WR playing in the corner. Makes it a lot easier to see when he's ahead or behind. I'd love to see more runners do something like that, but maybe it adds too much pressure.

Pretty much every SCV4 runner does that, recently the WR for the game has been changing very rapidly through JoeDamillio, FuriousPaul and hanage_belmondo fighting each other for the title.

This was the situation before FP took the record.
F2EeEzg.png

So AGDQ has inspired me. For the next couple of months I'm going to practice running and messing around with a couple of games. I want to stream them in the future but first I really want to get good at them. So is it OK to practice on a retro 5 or should I actually pick up the real systems? If it is OK to run on a retron, is there any capture cards that you guys could recommend.

I'm currently messing around with some nes/famicom games and a few genesis titles. Some of the games I'm looking at playing nobody runs them but I did find a few TAS vids of them.

LordAlu

So AGDQ has inspired me. For the next couple of months I'm going to practice running and messing around with a couple of games. I want to stream them in the future but first I really want to get good at them. So is it OK to practice on a retro 5 or should I actually pick up the real systems? If it is OK to run on a retron, is there any capture cards that you guys could recommend.

I'm currently messing around with some nes/famicom games and a few genesis titles. Some of the games I'm looking at playing nobody runs them but I did find a few TAS vids of them.
I would first play them on a good emulator, approved by SRL, to ensure there's no emulation problems with the Retron 5. The Retron is good for casual stuff but, for example, I can't run Zero Mission on my Retron as it lags badly whenever bugs are on the screen (a few times a game), which doesn't happen on a PC emulator nor actual hardware.

Obviously the best way is to use actual hardware as you're guaranteed to have the game running as intended, but I'd only suggest that once you've gotten in to it :)

I'd suggest heading to SDA and joining the forums there for their advice as well, plus search their game list to see if the games you want to try already have videos, as you can use them as a guide to improve your route and techniques.

Capture card wise, you can use an EzCap or Dazzle for simple composite connection for now. They're cheap and do the job just fine. If later you decide you want better quality, you can get a PEXHDCAP and start looking into using RGB (via a SyncStrike) or S-Video.

I would first play them on a good emulator, approved by SRL, to ensure there's no emulation problems with the Retron 5. The Retron is good for casual stuff but, for example, I can't run Zero Mission on my Retron as it lags badly whenever bugs are on the screen (a few times a game), which doesn't happen on a PC emulator nor actual hardware.

Obviously the best way is to use actual hardware as you're guaranteed to have the game running as intended, but I'd only suggest that once you've gotten in to it :)

I'd suggest heading to SDA and joining the forums there for their advice as well, plus search their game list to see if the games you want to try already have videos, as you can use them as a guide to improve your route and techniques.

Capture card wise, you can use an EzCap or Dazzle for simple composite connection for now. They're cheap and do the job just fine. If later you decide you want better quality, you can get a PEXHDCAP and start looking into using RGB (via a SyncStrike) or S-Video.

Thank You!! I do have one more question before I join the SRL forum, can you recommend a good controller/adapter for using in a emulator. I love the way the snes controller feels....I would hate to be playing on something different.

I have a snes but for some reason it looks terrible on all my tv's, that's why I picked up a retron.

Lol I have a ton of questions but I'll save them for the SRL forum. Thanks!

LordAlu

Thank You!! I do have one more question before I join the SRL forum, can you recommend a good controller/adapter for using in a emulator. I love the way the snes controller feels....I would hate to be playing on something different.

I have a snes but for some reason it looks terrible on all my tv's, that's why I picked up a retron.

Lol I have a ton of questions but I'll save them for the SRL forum. Thanks!
I have one of these -> Mayflash SNES to USB Controller. Works perfectly for me if I play on an emulator.

SNES will look terrible on any flat screen TV, but if you head to a charity store you can get a small CRT for practically nothing. You'd need a splitter to split the signal so you can have it going in to your capture device and TV at the same time, but again this is all if you enjoy and get into it :)

I have one of these -> Mayflash SNES to USB Controller. Works perfectly for me if I play on an emulator.

SNES will look terrible on any flat screen TV, but if you head to a charity store you can get a small CRT for practically nothing. You'd need a splitter to split the signal so you can have it going in to your capture device and TV at the same time, but again this is all if you enjoy and get into it :)

Nice! I ordered the adapter. So right now my main goal is to practice and by March/April hopefully start streaming. I'll use the retron for causal practice and at night I'll start recording playthroughs on emulator of the games so I can get a better look at what I'm doing right and wrong. With my tax return I'll pick up the hardware and the rest of the stuff I need.

I can't thank you enough Alu.

To hijack the previous posters questions, is it possible to use the ezcap or dazzle to play on your computer? I am assuming not because of lag but I have a stack of Xbox and PS2 games I want to play on original hardware (and possibly speed run) with no TV to do so

Trickster

I keep watching those ADGQ and SQDQ events, and always get interested in speedrunning myself, but never really get started because it seems like such a daunting thing to get into.

Anyway, I figure that I could at the least ask around and see if there are any games that are good for trying out speedrunning? I have no idea about what type of game I would be interested in tbh, only thing I know is that I couldn't play something like Goldeneye for N64 due to the bad framerate.

TUSR

Banned
I keep watching those ADGQ and SQDQ events, and always get interested in speedrunning myself, but never really get started because it seems like such a daunting thing to get into.

Anyway, I figure that I could at the least ask around and see if there are any games that are good for trying out speedrunning? I have no idea about what type of game I would be interested in tbh, only thing I know is that I couldn't play something like Goldeneye for N64 due to the bad framerate.
Super Mario 64, I could give you some pointers and introduction strats on the weekend. Stream it and show some GAF members the ropes.

Trickster

Super Mario 64, I could give you some pointers and introduction strats on the weekend. Stream it and show some GAF members the ropes.

I'm afraid I don't actually have a N64 :s

I guess I should narrow it down to pc really, since that's my main choice of gaming?

TUSR

Banned
I'm afraid I don't actually have a N64 :s

I guess I should narrow it down to pc really, since that's my main choice of gaming?
You can play games on emulator. So if you have a controller you're comfortable with. Use that.

Super meat boy is a introductory speed game.

LordAlu

You can't actually play on the PC using a capture card - the lag makes it almost impossible to react. However you could simply play on emulator.

"Big things have small beginnings"

SMW isn't a game I want to run but I wanted to see if I could pull off some of the glitches today. The Orb glitch seemed liked the hardest so I practiced that. I'll mess around with SMW while I wait for some of the games and the adapter I ordered to come in.

I want to get good at Tetras Attack but I suck at chaining.

LordAlu

I should also mention that Speed Runs Live are doing an event called "Get Yourself Into Speedrunning"

Every Saturday, starting 17th for three weeks, they'll be holding a race of a competitive yet friendly and easy to learn game, which is open to anyone of any skill level. Plus if you can't join, you can watch others on the SRL Twitch channel, where there will be proper commentary of the runs as well.

fTWXr4K.png

For those of you interested after watching AGDQ, it's a great opportunity for you to join in and get started!

JoeFu

Banned
So who have you guys been following since AGDQ? I never watched Gamej06 aka Big Jon before AGDQ and now he's like my favorite streamer. Dude is awesome.

JoeFu

Banned
Gamej06
DragonSentinal
witwix (then immediately unfollowed after a couple of streams)

Yeah witwix is someone I watched a but of after agdq. His stream is a bit juvenile, but the gameplay is good. Don't get the hottest gayest dads thing though...

He was on pace to save like 2 minutes off WR about an hour ago and he was just like "meh". He really hates this run apparently. lol

Edit: Spirit Temple boss door literally just ate all his time.

yBWOVC6.png

rip

4 hours into the run. I think I'd straight end myself.

Was wondering how this run turned out. Fucking hell, that sucks.

romscout said:
Friday, February 13: Deadline for hotel announcement (may be announced earlier)
Sunday, March 15: Game submissions open; there will be a thread posted on March 1 as a reminder with more details and guidelines
Tuesday, March 31: Game submissions close (at the end of the day)
Saturday, April 18: SGDQ Game List Announcement; we also aim to have registration, volunteer signups, and prize submissions open around this time, but do not have exact dates yet
Friday, May 1: SGDQ Schedule Release
Sunday, July 26: SGDQ begins
Saturday, August 1: SGDQ ends
Game submission taking place a little later in the year this time. I guess it makes sense with the later marathon date. More time to practice and figure out what/if you want to submit. If AGDQ follows a similar pattern (4 months between submission and the marathon), I think that will put a lot of stress on runners, though, since it would give less than a month to prep your game submissions.

LordAlu

Boo Twitch

Hi,

Some game music has been copyright protected, and is thus in Audible Magic’s database. In this case, the "Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles" soundtrack ( or parts of it ) has been copyright protected by the content owner for the purpose of rebroadcasting.

Unfortunately, we cannot unmute your video for this reason.

Additionally, while certain tracks may be licensed to a game for the purpose of playback to the end user, those rights may not transfer to the end user for the purpose of rebroadcasting.

There is nothing for you to do at this point. You can delete the video at any time you desire or keep it with the muted section.
I run Rondo of Blood but apparently they can't unmute my past broadcasts of it as the soundtrack is copyrighted. However they mention "Dracula X Chronicles" which is the PSP version. Don't know whether to bother pointing it out or not.

LeleSocho

Banned
Boo Twitch

I run Rondo of Blood but apparently they can't unmute my past broadcasts of it as the soundtrack is copyrighted. However they mention "Dracula X Chronicles" which is the PSP version. Don't know whether to bother pointing it out or not.

You run Rondo? Give me your twitch handle immediately.

I've never really popped up into this OT, but it seems like the best place on the forum to muse about this.One thing I was thinking would be cool to organize at some point would be NeoGAF videogame races. I've never been a huge fan of speedruns, but racing other people in videogames somehow make the idea of rushing to the end more appealing. Plus it can be potentially social if you're bantering/taunting/joking on Skype, and if you have recording software going you can even put it up on Twitch or Youtube for other folks to see. The biggest issues would be time to actually sit down and rush a game in one sitting, especially because you'd be asking 2 or more (ideally more) people to sit down and play a game to the end in one sitting. But I think it would be a lot of fun to get something like this setup. There's also the personal matter of me working different days every week + working overnight, so it'd be tough to join in on say a friday or saturday night that would be convenient for many. But I think if something like this became a regular/semi-regular thing it'd be pretty cool.

Has there ever been any videogame races done in the past on GAF? Or have any of you ever been a part of something like this? I'd want to research other groups who have set these sort of things up before possibly pitching the idea to the community, so any thoughts would be cool.

BraXzy

I've never really popped up into this OT, but it seems like the best place on the forum to muse about this.One thing I was thinking would be cool to organize at some point would be NeoGAF videogame races. I've never been a huge fan of speedruns, but racing other people in videogames somehow make the idea of rushing to the end more appealing. Plus it can be potentially social if you're bantering/taunting/joking on Skype, and if you have recording software going you can even put it up on Twitch or Youtube for other folks to see. The biggest issues would be time to actually sit down and rush a game in one sitting, especially because you'd be asking 2 or more (ideally more) people to sit down and play a game to the end in one sitting. But I think it would be a lot of fun to get something like this setup. There's also the personal matter of me working different days every week + working overnight, so it'd be tough to join in on say a friday or saturday night that would be convenient for many. But I think if something like this became a regular/semi-regular thing it'd be pretty cool.

Has there ever been any videogame races done in the past on GAF? Or have any of you ever been a part of something like this? I'd want to research other groups who have set these sort of things up before possibly pitching the idea to the community, so any thoughts would be cool.

I have also never seen this thread before today.. this idea is pretty cool though.

To grt atound the time issue a lot of people would have, instead of designating a game, you could pick a level from a game and people get say one week to get accustomed to it before the play day. Or yoy could keep it kinda like Ludem Dare where you only find out when it starts.

Bumping because a new glitch has been found in OoT, there seems to now be a way to glitch picking up an item for the first time, doing some things and then getting another item instead because the values have changed.

More info here.

http://pastebin.com/FqqFQLvA

But this may mean any% could be minutes faster because you could glitch a bottle into your inventory instead of getting one from the town.

Bumping because a new glitch has been found in OoT, there seems to now be a way to glitch picking up an item for the first time, doing some things and then getting another item instead because the values have changed.

More info here.

http://pastebin.com/FqqFQLvA

But this may mean any% could be minutes faster because you could glitch a bottle into your inventory instead of getting one from the town.
I'm watching zfg trying to figure things out. It's pretty exciting

http://www.twitch.tv/zfg1

LeleSocho

Banned
The glitch is incredibly cool but i dunno... if it doesn't work on a console but only on emulators i wouldn't even consider it.
I'm against glitches that only works on emulators even when they are official.

On top of my head my opinion on why the glitch doesn't work on consoles is because when you pick up an item for the first time it shows a higher quality model of it with reflections and various effects and the console maybe can't handle the entirety of the game plus the high quality model.

The glitch is incredibly cool but i dunno... if it doesn't work on a console but only on emulators i wouldn't even consider it.
I'm against glitches that only works on emulators even when they are official.

On top of my head my opinion on why the glitch doesn't work on consoles is because when you pick up an item for the first time it shows a higher quality model of it with reflections and various effects and the console maybe can't handle the entirety of the game plus the high quality model.

It works on GameCube, zfg just confirmed on stream. EDIT: VC as well

SamuraiX-

That's really awesome. If they can discover a way to skip grabbing cocks to get the bottle, then maybe Cosmo will get back into Any% too. :)

Who discovered the glitch btw? Was it ZFG?

Well GC and VC are also emulated so... as i said i'm kinda irked of by the fact that it doesn' work on the original console.

Oh I misunderstood. I don't think that's a discussion worth having, GC and VC are legit versions for speedrunning OOT and pretty much everyone in the community agrees.
That's really awesome. If they can discover a way to skip grabbing cocks to get the bottle, then maybe Cosmo will get back into Any% too. :)

Who discovered the glitch btw? Was it ZFG?

The glitch was found 5 years ago by glitchesandstuff, today skater found a way to make it useful. And I'm pretty sure they already found a way to get a bottle (with a blue potion in it) in Deku Tree. It's just a matter of making it fast and consistent now.

Top Bottom