• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer: We Have Just Signed Exclusives That Won’t Be Ready for 2-3 Years, No Point i

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeh

Well I used the word "perhaps," so I don't know where you get all this certainty from.

But considering the game was turned down because MS felt the design didn't give enough potential to be monetized with micro transactions, and that that's not the only game rejected for that reason alone, I think people have another reason to be reasonably concerned about MS's AAA output.
I like games with cosmetics where I don't have to pay and get free post launch content though. I like the trend of this.

Everyone is saying oh lawd, but you literally don't have to spend a penny and you get free stuff. That's consumer friendly to me.

Although, I say this, but never for every game. Just the MP heavy games. I'd like an Horizon. It's a shame if they've turned away an equivalent for that reason.

VinFTW

What AAA games don't have map packs, cosmetics or expansions?

IDK, I don't completely disagree with you, I just think a game that's ripe for MT's/GaaS would be better than a SP game w/ a couple DLC expansions at $20 bucks a pop.

It's a fucking shame, I know. I just see no other reason why MS, with all their millions/billions can't build a better first party (or at least make an ATTEMPT) line-up of studios/AAA IPs.

Larogue

They have decent line up for this year & early 2018. Pretty sure he is gonna reveal more suprises for 2018 as they get more polished by/before next E3.

Matt

I like games with cosmetics where I don't have to pay and get free post launch content though. I like the trend of this.

Everyone is saying oh lawd, but you literally don't have to spend a penny and you get free stuff. That's consumer friendly to me.

Although, I say this, but never for every game. Just the MP heavy games. I'd like an Horizon. It's a shame if they've turned away an equivalent for that reason.
Then you should be particularly annoyed.

They have decent line up for this year & early 2018. Pretty sure he is gonna reveal more suprises for 2018 as they get more polished by/before next E3.
For this year? Like what?

The only thing I can think of is Recore.

Compared to Sony's barrage of Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Uncharted the Lost Legacy, Crash Collection, Wipeout Collection, Knack 2 (lol I won't buy it but it'll be a nice kids/family type game) and plenty on the horizon like Spiderman, God of War and Days Gone.

Meanwhile stuff like Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3 etc. have been in the blender for like 4 years now?

Where's the games from when Phil first started to a few months ago? Does the quote in the OP mean that he JUST started making deals for more exclusives? If so, what the hell has he been doing the last few years when he was promising more software support for the Xbox brand? What are people going to play once the games on display at this E3 are finally released, is there just going to be a 2 year gap until their next big exclusives? Why do people continue to fall for it?

I guess if you only wanna play Halo, Forza and maybe Gears then Phil's got you covered.

Also in terms of "console exclusives" which Phil likes to tout so much, Xbox has 12 and PS4 has 53 this year lol.

Linkified

Well I used the word "perhaps," so I don't know where you get all this certainty from.

But considering the game was turned down because MS felt the design didn't give enough potential to be monetized with micro transactions, and that that's not the only game rejected for that reason alone, I think people have another reason to be reasonably concerned about MS's AAA output.

Out of curiosity, how would you know the inner workings of deals that typically get NDA'd to hell for any parties involved - as that was the reason for rejection?

Xbox gonna carry on as they are so long as a big enough portion of their fanbase continue to sing their praises for mediocre output.

Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo - all these companies and more do listen, but only when it'll cost them otherwise or if it works to their benefit.

PlayStation fans got it good because they've established a clear paradigm of feedback and response with Sony. They kept asking for The Last Guardian, and they got it. They kept asking for a FFVII Remake, and they got it. They kept asking for Shenmue III, and they got it. Hell, I never thought Sony would make a SotC remake, and yet here we are. Even when Sony can't deliver exactly what was asked for, if the demand is strong enough, they still find a way to meet it, e.g. people asked for Demon Souls 2, and they got Bloodborne.

Ask and you shall receive.

Seems to me, Xbox players just need to ask more.

Yup.

I think we can thank the Crash remaster-remake to that type of thing too, the constant requests for it got them interested in approaching Activision of all companies about it and not only is it getting made thanks to that they actually seem to be putting in an incredible amount of work on the three games.

sense

Then you should be particularly annoyed.
A game like horizon would take five years and a huge risk and I don't think ms is interested in any games that take more than 3 years and don't have monetization options up the wazoo

RetroMG

Well, I guess I'll buy an Xbox One X in 2-3 years, when they have something worth playing that I can't play on my PC or PS4.

In the meantime, if the console doesn't sell well, I hope investors will accept "We'll have some really good exclusives that people will love in 2-3 years."

MCD

If you can't talk and feel confident in your sources then why not tip someone like Patrick or Jason?

JaggedSac

Is MS declining two or more AAA games due to lack of monetization capabilities known information or is that insider knowledge?

MisterJabo

Neo Member
DM5DaNL.png

Reposting for new page: if Microsoft isn't doing a Horizon style game, then what is this hiring for lol

SOR5

This reminds me of something a friend of mine saw on Linkedin a few months ago, status update from a recruiter in games :

DM5DaNL.png

I don't think it was picked upon by any website or forum (and rightfully so, because it doesn't really mean anything, it hinges a lot about what a recruiter thinks a "horizon zero dawn type" project is (ie nice art ? tribes people ? robots ? or simply open world rpg ?), but since we saw nothing like that at e3 it probably refers to one of those "exclusives 2-3 years pooaway".

!!

Can't belive people are both defending and believing in this guy anymore.

"We don't like exclusive deals"
What do you call the Tomb Raider deal?

"We have just signed an exclusive deal"
Well now you really are confusing me here Phil.

"The PS4 pro is a competitor to xbox s..."
How the fuck are you coming to that conclus...

"It does not do true 4K"
But your own "true" 4K standard includes checkerboarding and dynamic res.

"We foucused on hardware and BC"
Even if that true Phil old pal and would explain the fucking baren wasteland your first party line up have been how is it your competition seems to have no problem doing both at the same time?

That is just the last week of comments.
^ ^ This.

This reminds me of something a friend of mine saw on Linkedin a few months ago, status update from a recruiter in games :

DM5DaNL.png

I don't think it was picked upon by any website or forum (and rightfully so, because it doesn't really mean anything, it hinges a lot about what a recruiter thinks a "horizon zero dawn type" project is (ie nice art ? tribes people ? robots ? or simply open world rpg ?), but since we saw nothing like that at e3 it probably refers to one of those "exclusives 2-3 years away".
what the hell is this interesting

In what world is Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, Forza 7 and a Phantom Dust remaster considered a decent lineup for an entire year? That's dire.

gatti-man

A game like horizon would take five years and a huge risk and I don't think ms is interested in any games that take more than 3 years and don't have monetization options up the wazoo

If they seriously think like this then Sony will push them out of consoles by next gen. Horizon is amazing and why I play games. If ms has no interest in amazing SP experiences many people won't have interest in owning their consolez

g11

Microsoft's got more money than God. Why don't they just flesh out their first party studios? They've been in the game for damn near two decades and they have like 4 studios and they're all franchise houses.

...And Rare who has been hit or miss under the Microsoft banner.

shmoglish

Well, I guess I'll buy an Xbox One X in 2-3 years, when they have something worth playing that I can't play on my PC or PS4.
."
Yeah well, that wont happen. For the same reason I wont buy a X. I barely use my S. And if I ever want to play a game with the best visuals and performance, I can use my Pc

If they seriously think like this then Sony will push them out of consoles by next gen. Horizon is amazing and why I play games. If ms has no interest in amazing SP experiences many people won't have interest in owning their consolez
or even new mp titles, they've been milking halo and gears for over a decade

their one new mp ip became a multiplatform title by its 2nd game lol

I suppose I don't really get why announcing a game with a name, trailer, and developer for things that are years out is any worse than announcing "I just signed a bunch of games" for things that are years out.

The only real difference is that we don't know the name, haven't seen a trailer, and don't know the developer.

That's better how, exactly?
Bingo. Thats weird and stupid.

Finaj

Microsoft's got more money than God. Why don't they just flesh out their first party studios? They've been in the game for damn near two decades and they have like 4 studios and they're all franchise houses.

...And Rare who has been hit or miss under the Microsoft banner.

MS proper has more money than God, but Xbox only accounts for 11% of MS' revenue. It's possible they aren't providing the funding it needs.

Showing up at E3 2019 and shipping before E3 2020 >>>> showing up at E3 2017,18,19 and shipping in 2020.

What about showing up at E3 2013 and shipping Cuphead and Crackdown 3 in 2017 and cancelling another one of the exclusives lol

Dinky Dino said:
The contrast of posts between this and the Sony thread stating they were also holding back is hilarious

Too much MS hate here
I have no hatred for MS, Gears is one of my favorite franchises around and I still play most last-gen games on my 360 (never even had a ps3) but Sony has actually shown to be releasing plenty of well-received exclusives recently while also showing off plenty of new ones to come. It's annoying they didn't have any huge game reveals this E3 but they still announced two new IPs from Supermassive and have several more conferences to attend this year. I'm pretty sure Bloodborne was initially revealed at the TGS.

Pretending the reaction to Sony and Microsoft announcing they're holding off on announcing games should be the same is pretty disingenuous

David___

Banned
The contrast of posts between this and the Sony thread stating they were also holding back is hilarious

Too much MS hate here

Bound to happen when you have one constantly saying they're investing in first party and having nothing to show for it and one that barely mentions it that consistently has great support throughout the year

Psychoward said:
Bloodborne was initially revealed at the TGS.

It was announced at E3 but I think the gameplay reveal was saved for TGS.

Not certain on the latter though

Bound to happen when you have one constantly saying they're investing in first party and having nothing to show for it and one that barely mentions it that consistently has great support throughout the year

Eh I can agree with that. Sony does the same but they actually complete their games including stuff like TLG that dragged on for years.

gatti-man

or even new mp titles, they've been milking halo and gears for over a decade

their one new mp ip became a multiplatform title by its 2nd game lol

Titanfall 1 was crazy good but that's what you get by buying exclusives to IP you don't own.

Imo MS goes about the console business all wrong.

Zukkoyaki

They should really revisit their catalogue of older IPs. There are plenty of things they could revive in interesting ways that could work as service titles and that probably wouldn't break the bank. Something like Fusion Frenzy.

Then my other idea...

They should have someone create a multiplayer-focused Blast Corps where it's a big sandbox you can build up and destroy cities with friends. Maybe even have an invasion mode where you can wreck other people's stuff. Try and get some of that Crackdown destruction tech into it.

The series is old enough to feel like a new IP, could recycle existing tech and fits the their GaaS initiative.

g11

MS proper has more money than God, but Xbox only accounts for 11% of MS' revenue. It's possible they aren't providing the funding it needs.

Yeah probably but you'd think Microsoft of all people would understand "in for a penny, in for a pound". They can't hope to compete with Sony and Nintendo in the long run without a more diverse first party.

Xumbrega

Banned
Looks photoshopped.

It's not, it's real, you can check by yourself

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6263292832946102272

There's also another one, 4 months ago, seems a FPS/Action game?

Ex/Senior VFX Artist Required for AAA Console Microsoft Project (£60k + Excellent Benefits) - UK Must have solid AAA console exp as a VFX Artist, preferable on Action/FPS titles.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6234661142036246528

gatti-man

Yeah probably but you'd think Microsoft of all people would understand "in for a penny, in for a pound". They can't hope to compete with Sony and Nintendo in the long run without a more diverse first party.

The short run they are getting absolutely crushed too.

Finaj

Maybe they don't want to compete with Sony. As shown by their willingness to put games that would normally be Xbox exclusives on Windows 10 and their focus on MAU, they just have a completely different way to go about the console business than Nintendo and Sony do. Even though they are not doing nearly as well as Sony is, they seem satisfied with their current output.

Elfstruck

Too much MS hate here

Hmm, have you been in that Sony's thread? People were calling out Shuhei for being a liar and how Sony became incompetent by not showing new games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom