• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer: We Have Just Signed Exclusives That Won’t Be Ready for 2-3 Years, No Point i

Status
Not open for further replies.

wachie

Can't belive people are both defending and believing in this guy anymore.

"We don't like exclusive deals"
What do you call the Tomb Raider deal?

"We have just signed an exclusive deal"
Well now you really are confusing me here Phil.

"The PS4 pro is a competitor to xbox s..."
How the fuck are you coming to that conclus...

"It does not do true 4K"
But your own "true" 4K standard includes checkerboarding and dynamic res.

"We foucused on hardware and BC"
Even if that true Phil old pal and would explain the fucking baren wasteland your first party line up have been how is it your competition seems to have no problem doing both at the same time?

That is just the last week of comments.
Spencer: We have listened to your requests and *flicks fingers* have been passionately been working on *flicks wrists* a game that is exclusive to the Xbox family

TAPE ROLLS

LAUNCH exclusive

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
In hindsight, microsoft should have purchased bioware instead of EA. Having mass effect as an exclusive would have helped them big especially a xbox one x dedicated mass effect game. Passing on bioware is one of Microsoft's big mistakes.

David___

Banned
In hindsight, microsoft should have purchased bioware instead of EA. Having mass effect as an exclusive would have helped them big especially a xbox one x dedicated mass effect game. Passing on bioware is one of Microsoft's big mistakes.

Passing along Bioware and driving Bungie to the point of wanting to go independent.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
'We don't think releasing trailers of games 2 to 3 years early is a good idea but we do think suggesting there are many games to come in 2 to 3 years, without proof, is fine.'

g11

Maybe they don't want to compete with Sony. As shown by their willingness to put games that would normally be Xbox exclusives on Windows 10 and their focus on MAU, they just have a completely different way to go about the console business than Nintendo and Sony do. Even though they are not doing nearly as well as Sony is, they seem satisfied with their current output.

I'd argue they are in fact not content, but seem to be inept at fixing the situation. They kind of Magoo'd their way into the lead last gen (or rather, Sony shot their own foot off with the initial price of the PS3 and the complexity of the Cell) and they've been pissing that lead away ever since. Kind of baffling.

They've been making small moves that are great PR for them recently (BC games, bringing exclusives to PC) but I don't think it's moving the needle much yet and every time they do a deal like RotTR, it seems to wipe away most of that good will. Then again, Sony is doing its fair share of that recently with the cross-play debacle.

This reminds me of something a friend of mine saw on Linkedin a few months ago, status update from a recruiter in games :

DM5DaNL.png

I don't think it was picked upon by any website or forum (and rightfully so, because it doesn't really mean anything, it hinges a lot about what a recruiter thinks a "horizon zero dawn type" project is (ie nice art ? tribes people ? robots ? or simply open world rpg ?), but since we saw nothing like that at e3 it probably refers to one of those "exclusives 2-3 years away".

next-gen though. get excited for xbox two

John Riccitiello was plotting and scheming that EA take over for a while. John co-founded Elevated Partners who owned VG Holding Corp who bought Bioware and Pandemic that they then sold to EA who John had just become the CEO of 7 months prior.

KingBroly

Banned
Microsoft has no variety when it comes to first party stuff. The ones they try and make either get cancelled or bastardized to the point where it's like every other Microsoft exclusive...or both.

Microsoft simply doesn't have a great single player IP and they desperately need one. But given the corporate structure, I think it's impossible.

Microsoft has no variety when it comes to first party stuff. The ones they try and make either get cancelled or bastardized to the point where it's like every other Microsoft exclusive...or both.

Microsoft simply doesn't have a great single player IP and they desperately need one. But given the corporate structure, I think it's impossible.

People that keep praising Halo 5 ALWAYS point to its MP as being exceptional. No one seems to want to mention its atrocious SP campaign.

You can't be serious with posts like these. I wholeheartedly agree with you about big AAA SP games but no variety?

Sea of Thieves
Crackdown
State of Decay 2
Ori
Halo
Gears
Forza

And that's not counting some indie exclusives.

If that's not a good variety I don't know what is my friend.

Skeff

next-gen though. get excited for xbox two

Well if a game is released in 2-3 years it will be 2019/2020 which is 6/7 years after the xb1 launch so it likely will be a next gen game. Which makes sense because we get new IP and plenty of games in the first couple of years of a xbox don't we?

This reminds me of something a friend of mine saw on Linkedin a few months ago, status update from a recruiter in games :

DM5DaNL.png

I don't think it was picked upon by any website or forum (and rightfully so, because it doesn't really mean anything, it hinges a lot about what a recruiter thinks a "horizon zero dawn type" project is (ie nice art ? tribes people ? robots ? or simply open world rpg ?), but since we saw nothing like that at e3 it probably refers to one of those "exclusives 2-3 years away".

Nice.

A game like horizon would take five years and a huge risk and I don't think ms is interested in any games that take more than 3 years and don't have monetization options up the wazoo

If they seriously think like this then Sony will push them out of consoles by next gen. Horizon is amazing and why I play games. If ms has no interest in amazing SP experiences many people won't have interest in owning their consolez

To me it seems to be working out ok for the Xbox hardcore fan base, they gobble up multiplayer GAAS games and don't really ask for anything else (not on Gaf).

So yeah MS has no interest in large scale single player titles that take years and years to develop. They must see the ROI/IRR as poor and not worth it and are comfortable to double down on factory line 1st party and contracted out work for otherexclusives.

leeh

DM5DaNL.png

I'll be blunt, I wouldn't read too much into what recruiters say, they will say and do anything to get that commission.

They're like the used car salesman of the IT world. It could be something as simple as they have similar art styles.

Warablo

After what happened with Shangheist, Fable, Phantom Dust, and Scalebound, I doubt hes eager for a early announcement.

DAHGAMING

Im a big xbox fan, i dont know why realy the last year and future haznt been great for exclusives compared to Sony, Nintendo (i have a ps4 for there exclusives), i think just good memories from the old halo days with mates gave me an attachment if that sounds right. Im planning to get the xbx, obviously itl be great for more powerfull games but it seems theres not much exclusives that intrest me, Forza and Sea of thieves. Unless they have a few games up there sleeves wel be closer to the next xbox by the time they come out which will play these games even better than xbx.

Floex

You can't be serious with posts like these. I wholeheartedly agree with you about big AAA SP games but no variety?

Sea of Thieves
Crackdown
State of Decay 2
Ori
Halo
Gears
Forza

Compared to the competition it's quite pathetic really.

Sea of Thieves
Crackdown
State of Decay 2
Ori
Halo
Gears
Forza

Forza is released every year, halo and gears aren't the sales or gameplay beasts they once were, ori and sea of thieves are incredibly niche, and crackdown 2 was a huge letdown so I'm not very optimistic about 3. SOD was ok but 2 looked very rough at E3.

To me that whole lineup looks very weak against Nintendo and Sony's.

MilkyJoe

Maybe they need more third person shooters a la Sony.

leeh

Forza is released every year, halo and gears aren't the sales or gameplay beasts they once were, ori and sea of thieves are incredibly niche, and crackdown 2 was a huge letdown so I'm not very optimistic about 3. SOD was ok but 2 looked very rough at E3.

A title which is a open-world co-op game filled in quests and loot with an art style which will bring in the young and the older a like is a niche title?

Lolk

I don't see how Sea of Thieves is niche.

It's Open World, it has co-op and multiplayer features, some RPG elements while being different enough from the competition.

blakep267

A title which is a open-world co-op game filled in quests and loot with an art style which will bring in the young and the older a like is a niche title?

Lolk
He seemingly worked extra hard to downplay every title.

- Forza is annual so let's disregard
-Ori actually sold really well, yet it's niche.
-Sea of thieves is a shared world adventure game which there are a bunch of in this industry(destiny, division etc), yet it's niche.
-Halo and gears don't sell a bazillion copies anymore so they don't count.
-SoD, a game in development looks rough and even though people who played it had great things to say about it, let's disregard

zeexlash

Maybe they need more third person shooters a la Sony.
They have those though - Gears, Crackdown, Sunset Overdrive, State of Decay, Alan Wake / Quantum Break, Recore, Dead Rising (sort of)..

I think what they need is a new game that feels on par with something like Halo, with some commitment to making it a franchise.

gamz

Well, yeah, judging by your avatar you probably prefer Sony and Nintendo games. No shame in that.

GHG

I'll be blunt, I wouldn't read too much into what recruiters say, they will say and do anything to get that commission.

They're like the used car salesman of the IT world. It could be something as simple as they have similar art styles.

No lies detected. I used to work in that industry.

Phil Spencer would make a fantastic recruiter though.

Don't kill me.

SOR5

That's alright, you do you

As for me I'm gonna be enjoying allllllllll three of 'em

urge26

Downfall I think was not allowing Bungie to create and fund Destiny. They miscalculated that the Halo IP was more important when it was getting stale by 4. If they had exclusivity on Destiny it would've given nearly everyone a reason to buy the Xbox One as they did for OG Xbox and Halo, as well as 360 for Halo, Gears, and Mass Effect. Spencer shouldn't take heat on this because he's been cleaning up a shit show. I do question the future of the platform, and I don't think dedicated Xbox gamers should just give them blind faith, but people seem to ignore all the pro consumer (yes driven from being behind yet still happening) features the platform is providing. I still think he's done a pretty good job if you look at where they could be.

David___

Banned
Downfall I think was not allowing Bungie to create and fund Destiny. They miscalculated that the Halo IP was more important when it was getting stale by 4. If they had exclusivity on Destiny it would've given nearly everyone a reason to buy the Xbox One as they did for OG Xbox and Halo, as well as 360 for Halo, Gears, and Mass Effect. Spencer shouldn't take heat on this because he's been cleaning up a shit show. I do question the future of the platform, and I don't think dedicated Xbox gamers should just give them blind faith, but people seem to ignore all the pro consumer (yes driven from being behind yet still happening) features the platform is providing. I still think he's done a pretty good job if you look at where they could be.

People keep saying this and I still don't know why. Spencer was in charge of 1st party before he took control over the division.

So you... don't think that the Xbox One will have exclusive games in 2-3 years? That's an interesting bet. I'm sure you've thought it out though.

He's been rabbiting about this for years. He just appeases the masses till the attention dies down etc. Of course there will be games in two to three years but their competition will have already released games inbetween that time in significant numbers too

urge26

People keep saying this and I still don't know why. Spencer was in charge of 1st party before he took control over the division.

Was first party a problem before he moved into the head position? I didn't see it that way. If he didn't need to clean up the mess of a console that was launched, don't you think they'd be concentrating on first party more now?

Never mind, I see what you're saying. He should be held accountable for the Bungie/Halo decisions. You've got a point.

Gee whiz, known Sony superfans being really negative about Xbox? You don't say! /s

Get outta here with that shit. Phil has done a lot to right the ship. Yes, PR will PR, but he's a pretty good guy and I'm glad he's head of Xbox.

I have all the consoles and the movement in the hardware front is much improved. They could not of advertised the power of the XBOX X worse imo though.

Can't belive people are both defending and believing in this guy anymore.

"We don't like exclusive deals"
What do you call the Tomb Raider deal?

"We have just signed an exclusive deal"
Well now you really are confusing me here Phil.

"The PS4 pro is a competitor to xbox s..."
How the fuck are you coming to that conclus...

"It does not do true 4K"
But your own "true" 4K standard includes checkerboarding and dynamic res.

"We foucused on hardware and BC"
Even if that true Phil old pal and would explain the fucking baren wasteland your first party line up have been how is it your competition seems to have no problem doing both at the same time?

That is just the last week of comments.

You forgot that gamespot interview when he was asked about where are the first party exclusives and he responded with "We have Minecraft in 4K tho".

This alone is some huge red flag.

Xumbrega

Banned
It's not, it's real, you can check by yourself

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6263292832946102272

There's also another one, 4 months ago, seems a FPS/Action game?

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6234661142036246528

Jump a minor bump, there's a client list of this guy recruitment team: http://g-3d.co.uk/clients

So the developer who is doing an AAA game Horizon style is there..

Playground, Frontier and Crytek already worked with MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom