• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Chick Scientist admits this year is Spiderpocalypse

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
http://www.seattlepi.com/science/article/Spike-in-spiders-this-season-expert-says-11275301.php

When the seasons change (albeit mildly in Northern California) and the weather warms, it can sometimes seem as if spiders have appeared with a vengeance. 

That's generally not the case, says spider ecologist and educator Linda Erickson, who decries the yearly stories from pest control and media outlets that tout an "uptick in spider populations this season." 

This year, however, she's noticed a notable change. 

"There is definitely a spike, definitely more spiders," she said. "It just makes sense."

Erickson, who literally has the moniker "Spider Chick" printed on her business cards,
is an expert on this sort of thing, and though she lacks hard data, she says this year's atmospheric conditions are ripe for flourishing arachnids. 

W2KVXAn.jpg

This baseball sized spider species was first discovered LAST YEAR in a California mine.

Spiders require moisture, she says, and in dry periods – such as California's five-year drought – spiders die off in droves. Conversely, wet periods allow their populations to thrive. 

"When there is ample moisture in the air, a greater number of eggs and spiderlings are able to survive," she said, describing the young arachnids as "delicate." 
Moisture from the air collects on spiders' webs and bodies, she explained, which they can drink to maintain hydrated. Without ample hydration, the arachnids, like humans, simply dry up. 

California saw one of its rainiest seasons in years, which Erickson says provides evidence to support a "spiking spider population" hypothesis. That and the fact that she's noticed an abundance of pesky spiderwebs and insects (spider prey) around her Pinole home. By simple food chain logic: The more insects buzzing about means a greater availability of spider food, and therefore, more spiders. 

The Spider Chick imparted this information cautiously for fear of raising the alarm of an already arachnophobic citizenry. Different species of spiders hatch year-round in Northern California, she says, and just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not around. 

"Most people don't really pay attention to spiders unless they're crawling on them," she lamented. "When they're closer in your consciousness, people suddenly notice them more and begin to call it a surge."

"All that being said," she added hesitantly, "I do think there's been an increase."

Ive been getting a lot of those damn false widows around my house (and a few black widows). Definitely a lot more than last summer, my cat has been enjoying tormenting them.

strafer

That's funny because just a couple of minutes ago I encountered a spider, I was unloading some beer into the fridge and when I reached for the last row in the bottom something jumped on my hand, it was a little spider, I just flicked it away, hope it didn't die.

B4s5C

I have seen more black widows in my house/garage this year than I have ever.

Any cost-effective tips to keep them out?

wwm0nkey

Hey as long as they keep on looking these bugs that try to get in my house they are cool with me. Saw one caught a roach in my unfinished basement the other day so I let him be

Stinkles

This seems to specifically be about California. Not sure what relevance this has to a Seattle-centric website.

It's the whole West Coast from MX to Vancouver BC. We share weather effects. Seattle had its wettest winter in history, and 2017 is already the sixth wettest year on record even if it doesn't rain another drop. Which means more spiders.

Poppy

more spiders means less bugs, so be thankful for these times we live in

of course that means less bugs meaning less spiders meaning more bugs

meaning more spiders meaning less bugs, anyway its some sine wave shit

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
We discovering new spiders in America now, fuck me, thought that shit only hsppened in rainforests or super deep caves

Stinkles

Does this mean less mosquitoes? If so, this is a huge win.

Not necessarily. There may be more mosquitoes eaten by spiders though. It could be more mosquitoes and more big fat spiders.

Btw I once read that mosquitoes are not an essential link in the food chain and that bats etc would adapt easily if all biting mosquitoes were eliminated. Get on it science.

Poppy

Not necessarily. There may be more mosquitoes eaten by spiders though. It could be more mosquitoes and more big fat spiders.

Btw I once read that mosquitoes are not an essential link in the food chain and that bats etc would adapt easily if all biting mosquitoes were eliminated. Get on it science.
yup i would not be perturbed at all if they genophaged the entire mosquito world population

Top Bottom