• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

Does it matter if I'm a fan? The game is supposed to be fun to everybody. No, I'm not a diehard fan, but I've bought plenty of comics and I do like the character a lot. I like Peter Parker, I just don't think playing his life/chores would be very fun. I would rather have well directed cutscenes. I don't think Persona social stuff would fit in action super hero games, regardless if I'm a fan or not.

Besides, this is an older Peter Parker, so no classes and stuff.

It wouldn't hurt to have social / dialog trees as Peter once in a while.

Even being able to explore New York as Peter would be dope.

Hide your powers, just enjoy, go visit Mary Jane...

Make you feel like you're Spiderman and Peter.

Not a never ending fetch quest "go kill those enemies, go race against colorful circles" etc...

Would be great for pacing.

If they want to incorporate Peter Parker in this and make his role big, they could add stuff like
  • racing to an appointment he has (but comes in late anyway),
  • some sort of dialogue system ala mass effect/witcher where you can talk with other people to gain information or just for fun,
  • investigate a case (tracking somebody down),
  • adding mini-games i.e. developing new webbing or even suits etc.

I haven't played all spidey games, but most of them were kinda generic with no good engaging story or characters.

I've just realised; this is going to have Spider-sense 'detective mode' in it, isn't it?! I'm getting a bit sick of that mechanic, even though this game could implement it legitimately as it's a part of the character's history.

Lost balloons.

Lol. Was that Spider-Man 2? I always felt that was incredibly overrated, although I enjoyed the first Neversoft/Activision game on PS1.

Slayven

Well he could be a (substitute) teacher :p

Peter was a school teacher

10-things-you-probably-didn-t-know-about-spider-man-731807.jpg

Our teams don't really work like that.

The large majority of Insomniac is working on it

Really happy you guys & girls at Insomniac are working on this. After the stellar job of R&C PS4 and SO I'm looking forward to more news and developments on this Spider-Man IP, I'm sure you will do it justice... How long has this been in the works approx?

heringer

It wouldn't hurt to have social / dialog trees as Peter once in a while.

Even being able to explore New York as Peter would be dope.

Hide your powers, just enjoy, go visit Mary Jane...

Make you feel like you're Spiderman and Peter.

Not a never ending fetch quest "go kill those enemies, go race against colorful circles" etc...

Would be great for pacing.

That's fine. I'm up for that. But the comparison made before was Persona, and social elements have a HUGE role in that series. It doesn't fit a character action hero game, imo.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I've just realised; this is going to have Spider-sense 'detective mode' in it, isn't it?! I'm getting a bit sick of that mechanic, even though this game could implement it legitimately as it's a part of the character's history..

Yeah you are right and it buggs me as well, but who knows maybe they'll find a good way incorporating that mechanic or at least make it less easy and nerf it down compared to the other games.

I know, that's why I brought it up ;)

Sephzilla

My only requirements
Be able to change costume don't like the default
A hobgoblin boss battle
A scorpion boss battle

Yeah, at the start of the game I kind of think i would be nice to have some choices for Spidey's suit. That way anyone who likes the new suit wins, and anyone who doesn't also wins. Plus it's not like Spidey doesn't have a bunch of suits at this point

Mr-Joker

Banned

I loved it when he was a teacher, it just made so much sense and actually played off the fact that Peter had a degree in science.

Yeah, at the start of the game I kind of think i would be nice to have some choices for Spidey's suit. That way anyone who likes the new suit wins, and anyone who doesn't also wins. Plus it's not like Spidey doesn't have a bunch of suits at this point

Honestly I would be very surprised if that's the only costume in the game as Spider-Man tend to have a bunch of costume for the players to play around with.

anyone remember the PS1 and Dreamcast Spider-Man game? hahaha that was awesome

I hope they have the same amount of unlockable costumes or DLC costumes because I am not a fan of the white spider.

Slayven

I loved it when he was a teacher, it just made so much sense and actually played off the fact that Peter had a degree in science.

Honestly I would be very surprised if that's the only costume in the game as Spider-Man tend to have a bunch of costume for the players to play around with.

I miss Michelle his stalker roommate

20.JPG

Isn't he a teacher, though? I meant social stuff with other class mates like Persona.
He went to ESU as a student as well. That's literally right from the beginning of his fictional history 55 years ago.

It's where he met and become friends with Gwen and Harry.

Hell, he was roommates with Harry.

heringer

He went to ESU as a student as well. That's literally right from the beginning of his fictional history 55 years ago.

It's where he met and become friends with Gwen and Harry.

Hell, he was roommates with Harry.

Huh, sure. I'm aware of that. But from what I understand, his university days are over in this game? They are pointing to an older Spider-Man, and I don't think they just mean "older than Ultimate universe".

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Disney Infinity? lol

They canceled that not too long ago.

Does it matter if I'm a fan? The game is supposed to be fun to everybody. No, I'm not a diehard fan, but I've bought plenty of comics and I do like the character a lot. I like Peter Parker, I just don't think playing his life/chores would be very fun. I would rather have well directed cutscenes. I don't think Persona social stuff would fit in action super hero games, regardless if I'm a fan or not.

Besides, this is an older Peter Parker, so no classes and stuff.

I'll beg to disagree, Peter Parker is essential to Spiderman the character and if this game is going to focus on both aspects of Spidey its a given they'll have to deal with his more normal troubles. You might not like it but oh well, I love it and its sounding like a dream Spiderman game at this point.

Huh, sure. I'm aware of that. But from what I understand, his university days are over in this game? They are pointing to an older Spider-Man, and I don't think they just mean "older than Ultimate universe".
I still don't understand where people are getting that from.

Doesn't preclude him being a long-term grad student or teacher though.

heringer

They canceled that not too long ago.

I'll beg to disagree, Peter Parker is essential to Spiderman the character and if this game is going to focus on both aspects of Spidey its a given they'll have to deal with his more normal troubles. You might not like it but oh well, I love it and its sounding like a dream Spiderman game at this point.

Just to be clear, they never said they are actually implementing this stuff in to the game, as far as I know, so I bet you will keep dreaming with this game if that's what you are expecting. They can explore the character with good cutscenes and a few moments of playing Peter Parker. It's very different to implement a social structure akin to Persona, considering social elements are the bulk of Persona games. No, I don't want the bulk of a Spider-Man game to be about socializing and doing chores. To each their own, I guess.

Loving the suit and everything else that was shown. Having Mister Negative as a villain is a amazing idea too and am even more curious to know what else is in store. Game is in great hands.

And what was shown was in real time? As in what we'll be playing will look the same? That can't be true.. It's too good to be true.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just to be clear, they never said they are actually implementing this stuff in to the game, as far as I know, so I bet you will keep dreaming with this game if that's what you are expecting. They can explore the character with good cutscenes and a few moments of playing Peter Parker. It's very different to implement a social structure akin to Persona, considering social elements are the bulk of Persona games. No, I don't want the bulk of a Spider-Man game to be about socializing and doing chores. To each their own, I guess.

Well they said the game focuses on Peter as much as Spiderman so I'll take that as a word that its not going to just be web slinging. You might find it boring but I think incoporating Peter Parker into things could be quite fun if done well. Perhaps you have to take pictures of yourself as Spiderman during battles and then sell those off to JJJ but you have to haggle with him to get the best price but of course too much and you get jack shit. Its all speculation but if Bully can make a great game out of a school then I think the same could be applied to something like Spiderman.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Highly doubt that there will be a big role for Peter gameplay wise.
I think it was more about the story. Also devs can tell a lot when the day is long.

Peter's social life shouldnt be ignored. It doesnt have to be a dating game like persona, but it just wouldnt be spider-man if you werent weighed down by responsibilities. If I'm not having to decide between patrolling for crooks, hanging out with harry, or risking asking a girl on a date, it ain't spider-man.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Has Insomniac ever made a game without crazy weapons? I'm curious how they'll handle a game with melee combat

Knowing Insomniac, they'll have a bunch of crazy web shooter modifications. Like grapple webs, impact webs, shock webs, and whatever shot they can come up with. I trust Insomniac 100% with this title. Those folks are insanely talented, and know how to deliver fun games. Definitely my game of the show, and there were a LOT of incredible looking games. I'm still hoping I'll be able to make it to the show floor this week.

Neoxon

I don't need this to be filled with cameos and shit but I hope they are at least acknowledging he Avengers and other heroes in this world.

I want this to be a fully realized and lived-in Marvel universe, separated from the MCU and studio baggage. I want this to be part of a wider series of games that can include Avengers, Guardians, Inhumans and Defenders, and characters who could possibly interact with Spidey in his game like Daredevil and Iron Man.
FTFY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom