• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_R

Is he going to work there now or is it temporary, just to work on Spidey?

Either way, I think this news deserve its own thread.

I'm wondering how a fight with Rhino will be made exciting.

If he is indeed in the game, he needs to have an option for his alt Spiderman-TAS suit, and hopefully fighting him is more than just dodging his charges (even though that's his thing).

schaft0620

My wish is for no less than 10 villains from the comics in the game

Is he going to work there now or is it temporary, just to work on Spidey?

Either way, I think this news deserve its own thread.

No way games like 12-24 months out no need to get crazy with the hype

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
giphy.gif

Is this supposed to make calm his fears or confirm them? lol

This thing looks so slick. I come back and watch this trailer along with Horizon a few times a month. So hawt right now.

Spiderman 2 one of my all time favorite games. Twas my childhood. I hope they can recapture some of that goodness for the modern age. So glad it's insomniac in this game.

Sanctuary

Lol he's always like this when it comes to PS4 games don't mind it

You must be confusing me with someone else, because I'm not "always" anything when it comes to PS4 games. This just comes off as some kind of thinly veiled console war nonsense that I've never been a part of. I am actually really looking forward to this game, but I don't worship at the altar of the Naughty God like most around here do. I think they make some visually impressive games, but that's about the extent of it for me.

It'd be 2 for 6 if Homecoming is bad and 3 for 6 if it's good. Sony has proven they can't make Spider-Man films. The only reason this one has a chance is for the above reason you mentioned: Marvel. Spider-Man 3, ASM and ASM 2 are all trash.

Hah. I don't know why I said 4 for 6, when I actually did mean 2 for 6 if Homecoming was bad. I guess I was just thinking 4 strikes, not 4 hits out of 6.

yeah AC has some baller animations... people just like to shit on AC because they think it makes them look cool... or something.

Nah, these are just terrible.

lY4qBr.gif

QWEDol.gif

My wish is for no less than 10 villains from the comics in the game

I already have my wish list:

1. Electro

2. Shocker

3. Mysterio

4. Chameleon

5. Scorpion

6. Hammerhead

7. Tombstone

8. Hydro Man

9. Lizard

10. Vulture

Save heavy hitters like Doc Ock, Goblin, and Venom for a sequel.

The God

One of the best things about Web of Shadows combat was the semi-destructible environment. You could get knocked into cars, glass windows, etc.

Boke1879

If anything somehow make venom be in this game or as DLC. Carnage can be a sequel.

Real talk. Separation Anxiety and Maximum Carnage are some of my favorite games of all time.

I personally prefer

1. Doc Octopus

2. Shocker

3. Mysterio

4. Venom

5. Scorpion

6. Goblin

7. Sandman

8. Kraven the hunter

9. Lizard

10. Vulture

Tougher enemies for sequel I wold opt for in no particular order

1. Carnage

2. Kingpin

3. Mephisto

4. Dormammu

5. Juggernaut

6. Dr. Doom

7. Morlun

8. Mister Negative

9. Kaine

10. Firelord

EDIT: Especially Morlun
Morlunhold%27nnearlydeadSpidey.jpg

Alright so if they could get GTA 4's Euphoria engine in, this would have the potential to be GOTG
I will literally shit myself, I love that physics engine. Last I heard they got bought out, I don't even think you can license it anymore, not positive on that tho.

Dali

1. Electro

2. Shocker

3. Mysterio

4. Chameleon

5. Scorpion

6. Hammerhead

7. Tombstone

8. Hydro Man

9. Lizard

10. Vulture

No big wheel? What about rocket racer? List fail.

LordofPwn

There was a old rumor that Insomniac and ND shared tech. Around R&C 1 and Jak&Daxter days. Good times.
Same engine I believe. Iirc ND made the engine and Insomniac borrowed it. I also believe their offices were very close to one another back in that day. Same building different floor or something? Cerny was involved with those games too.

WarRock

With the exception of Web Strikes, the combat in the game was essentially mashing the attack button in combination with others for win more purposes. It wasn't great by any means, especially when you can just web strike, which is more beneficial. It had very little thinking and there was a lot of combat sections, which takes away from the traversal element of Spider-Man. It was just swing there, mash square for victory, swing there, maybe switch to black suit and do it again. These ideas were better implemented into the Beenox beat 'em-ups in my opinion for better flow in combat.

None of the Spider-Man games had good combat. Spider-Man 2 was a precursor to the Arkham style combat that we know and love today but it was very basic and forced you to impact web everything before attacking. It was fun for its time but that was 12 years ago.

Web of Shadows has shades of a good game in there but the awful story, voice acting, script, mindless combat sections and the dumb RPG-like morality system really ruins the experience. The quick-time events were horrible too as they came out of nowhere and gave you no time to react. It tried to throw in everything that was hot at the time (Mass Effect, God of War) and it just doesn't seem right. Some of the boss battles were definitely cool, but I feel like Spider-Man games typically always deliver on that front. I also agree with how apocalypse based storylines just don't work for a Spider-Man anything. Game story wise, Ultimate Spider-Man and the OG PS1 games still had it best.

Best wishes.
As always, people ignore the DS versions of Web of Shadows (that included stance switching mid combos) and Shattered Dimensions. Not only keeping your attacks varied is important to raise your "style" meter and getter more XP per enemy, you could buy some buffs that activated if you kept it high enough, all while having some nice emphasis in mobility and split second dodging through attacks. It worked very well even when dealing with multiple opponents thanks to your web.

BoxyBrown

Banned

1. Electro

2. Shocker

3. Mysterio

4. Chameleon

5. Scorpion

6. Hammerhead

7. Tombstone

8. Hydro Man

9. Lizard

10. Vulture

I just want to see Carnage and Venom done right. That's all I'm hoping for.

Ascenion

I personally prefer

1. Doc Octopus

2. Shocker

3. Mysterio

4. Venom

5. Scorpion

6. Goblin

7. Sandman

8. Kraven the hunter

9. Lizard

10. Vulture

1. Carnage

2. Kingpin

3. Mephisto

4. Dormammu

5. Juggernaut

6. Dr. Doom

7. Morlun

8. Mister Negative

9. Kaine

10. Firelord

I have to take issue with those 3. Not really Spider-Man villains though Juggernaut I could give you. These guys are sort of too big for a solo game. Doom is definitely Spidey punching out of his class imo. Dormammu would belong more in a team up or Dr. Strange deal. The rest are solid, though Kaine Parker opens up a different bag of worms on his own.

Neoxon

I personally prefer

1. Doc Octopus

2. Shocker

3. Mysterio

4. Venom

5. Scorpion

6. Goblin

7. Sandman

8. Kraven the hunter

9. Lizard

10. Vulture

1. Carnage

2. Kingpin

3. Mephisto

4. Dormammu

5. Juggernaut

6. Dr. Doom

7. Morlun

8. Mister Negative

9. Kaine

10. Firelord

EDIT: Especially Morlun
Morlunhold%27nnearlydeadSpidey.jpg
You do realize that the bolded characters are off-limits at the moment, right?
Fuck you, Ike Perlmutter.

As for the likes of Surtur & Dormammu, they're a bit too god-tier of threats for Spider-Man to face (at least alone).

Ploid 3.0

Pretty sure it isn't a rumor.

I just remember someone from one of the dev groups denying it a long time ago, I'm picturing a video, maybe a 1up episode or something. They knew about the rumors that much I know, but I just remember them saying it wasn't so, they both used their own tech and there was no crossover. James? You there? lol

Same engine I believe. Iirc ND made the engine and Insomniac borrowed it. I also believe their offices were very close to one another back in that day. Same building different floor or something? Cerny was involved with those games too.

Yeah I remember Cerny advising for both, and the closeness. I didn't know it was the same engine for both games. Good stuff, thanks for clearing things up.

The criminals Spider-man was fighting in the trailer were Mr. Negative's goons and there's a billboard you can briefly see in the trailer that reads "Osborn for Mayor" so there's basically no way the Green Goblin isn't involved.

Who picks Hydro Man?

*shrugs* I put him on my list because we haven't seen him in a game before and I think he'd be an interesting fight. Like, he could flood the streets and force Spidey to fight off street lights and floating cars. He'd be a better pick than doing somebody like Rhino all over again.

Maybe I'm assuming way too much, but having this game announced close to Spidey appearing in the MCU makes me believe that this game is about Spidey still being relatively knew, like his second year being a hero. That's why I chose bad guys like Tombstone and Hammerhead because they're not TOO crazy, but that's just me and they'll probably put the big names in right away.

I can almost guarantee we'll have Shocker and Vulture because of the new movie.

The God

*shrugs* I put him on my list because we haven't seen him in a game before and I think he'd be an interesting fight. Like, he could flood the streets and force Spidey to fight off street lights and floating cars. He'd be a better pick than doing somebody like Rhino all over again.

Maybe I'm assuming way too much, but having this game announced close to Spidey appearing in the MCU makes me believe that this game is about Spidey still being relatively knew, like his second year being a hero. That's why I chose bad guys like Tombstone and Hammerhead because they're not TOO crazy, but that's just me and they'll probably put the big names in right away.

I can almost guarantee we'll have Shocker and Vulture because of the new movie.

nah Insomniac/Marvel have said this an older and experienced Spider-Man and there's no movie tie-in.

The God

Man I wish this game ties with MCU. It would be the perfect method to bridge the tv shows, comic books tie-in and movies.

I'm glad this is its own thing. And Marvel has already said they have other console games in development, and they hinted that there could cameos in Spider-Man. Maybe they're building video game universe? The exclusivity kinda makes me doubt that though.

Like, if Marvel has something like a Daredevil game in development I wonder if Sony could prevent Spider-Man from making an appearance?

Whenever I hear Morlun, I think of this:
Brutal.

I have to take issue with those 3. Not really Spider-Man villains though Juggernaut I could give you. These guys are sort of too big for a solo game. Doom is definitely Spidey punching out of his class imo. Dormammu would belong more in a team up or Dr. Strange deal. The rest are solid, though Kaine Parker opens up a different bag of worms on his own.

I know. I was kinda hoping Marvel opening the door for crossovers in the games. Similar to how the Batman games were closer to comics than the movies. Video games as a medium can afford the time and the setup to allow some of these things. The Dormammu was indeed inspired by a crossover with Dr. Strange. And yeah Doom is a bad ass.

You do realize that the bolded characters are off-limits at the moment, right?
Fuck you, Ike Perlmutter.

As for the likes of Surtur & Dormammu, they're a bit too god-tier of threats for Spider-Man to face (at least alone).

Never alone. I am hoping the games makes gamers feel apart of a preexisting universe. One thing that would help out is crossovers and enemies from marvel that Spidey normally doesn't fight.

And WOW I did not know about Perlmutter till now. That guy seems a bit toxic.

I know that the game is baaaad, but as a kid I loved Spider-man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge for the SNES. I was always so jealous of not having a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) because from the gaming magazines I used to get, the Spider-man game for that looked awesome.

Neoxon

Never alone. I am hoping the games makes gamers feel apart of a preexisting universe. One thing that would help out is crossovers and enemies from marvel that Spidey normally doesn't fight.

And WOW I did not know about Perlmutter till now. That guy seems a bit toxic.
But wouldn't it take away from Spider-Man if he had to call up Doctor Strange. Yeah, I get that Strange is also in New York City, but it would seem a bit out-of-place. Same for Surtur, but even more so (though in his case, you may need at least some of Asgard's help to beat him, possibly all of the Avengers).

And yeah, Perlmutter is a petty jerk. His decision isn't exactly unjustified from a business perspective, but it doesn't make it any less of a dick move to fans.

I just want to see Carnage and Venom done right. That's all I'm hoping for.

There is no right way to do Carnage. He's a terrible, shallow character that only got popular because of 90s edginess.

I mean, as if Venom wasn't enough edge, Carnage had to come along and drive it into self-parody.

Hydro Man would be absolutely hilarious to include. I have fond memories of the Hydro Man episode on the 90s cartoon Hahaha. That could make for a really epic battle if done playfully.

Neoxon

Hydro Man would be absolutely hilarious to include. I have fond memories of the Hydro Man episode on the 90s cartoon Hahaha. That could make for a really epic battle if done playfully.
We got screwed out of Hydro Man in Spectacular Spider-Man when he was set up in Season 2. ;_;

There is no right way to do Carnage. He's a terrible, shallow character that only got popular because of 90s edginess.

I mean, as if Venom wasn't enough edge, Carnage had to come along and drive it into self-parody.

Preach. Even his new series, that started out well enough, completely fell apart because his shtick didn't work for more then a few issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom