• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Fresh Squids 2 Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally gave Salmon Run a go. Marooner's Bay is really nice (my kinds of weapons), high tides are fairly relaxing.
Get to the higher difficulties and you'll be thinking the opposite. As for the weapons, and I never thought I'd say this, but I'm missing having a charger on the team. Anything short of that seems inconsistent for the team to nail steelheads with for some reason.

edit:

latest

ChrisD

Loosing a full bar isn't enough? Not a chance bad players stay profeshional...

You gain more for a win than you drop for a loss. That + Wave 3 giving immunity allows for a lot of people who shouldn't be in Profreshional... in Profreshional. I think everyone would have more fun if they were in the "proper" ranks, with spawns and quotas actually being something that they can achieve. Make it the exact same amount for a loss as you gain from a win, I don't care. Just don't have people on a perpetual upwards momentum.

Dropping back to 40 of whatever you were every rotation is good, but I would still like to see more punishing losses, not just resets.

How do people manage to end up dead before the round starts in Salmon Run? It doesn‘t even look as if they left the spawn point.

I've done the same as Jersh above. Even after learning about the tide on the bottom of the screen at the start of waves. :S

TwiztidElf

Wow, the rollers in this game are so bad. Its kind of shocking what Nintendo did to them. Wanted to try out the Flingza Roller in some Turf since I played a little CoroCoro in the first game... And, man, is it bad. Like what is the point of the long fling if you have to be standing right next to them to do more than 40.0 damage? You may as well just play Slosher if you wanna play that game.
Yeah, it's disappointing that rollers got nerfed. I'm a roller main, and I'm finding Carbon Roller is my favorite.

Pretty much 99% of my weapon time is roller. I tried the Aerospray and I couldn't believe the damage and ground coverage.

pringles

True, what I was mostly getting at was what abilities provide the biggest gameplay difference as you stack them. Ink Resistance has a huge difference, but Swim Speed has hardly any from what I've seen.
I'm trying to get Ninja Squid, Stealth Jump and Thermal Ink main abilities, with Special Saver, Special Build Up and Main Ink consumption reducer as secondaries. I know people are all about the Ink Resistance but that's for noobs, don't ge caught in enemy ink and you don't need it.

I'm trying to get Ninja Squid, Stealth Jump and Thermal Ink main abilities, with Special Saver, Special Build Up and Main Ink consumption reducer as secondaries. I know people are all about the Ink Resistance but that's for noobs, don't ge caught in enemy ink and you don't need it.
Is Stealth Jump all that effective? It says that it only affects distant players so I've tended to dismiss it. Ninja Squid is my go-to for a perk though, so useful, especially when flanking on splat zones. Is it a top-only ability, as I'd love to get it on something else for Splatfests.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Stealth Jump is not at all useful. Anyone near enough to damage you will still see you. Waste of space.

Yeah, it's disappointing that rollers got nerfed. I'm a roller main, and I'm finding Carbon Roller is my favorite.

Pretty much 99% of my weapon time is roller. I tried the Aerospray and I couldn't believe the damage and ground coverage.

Yes! Preach! Another Carbon user.

Personally i find the Carbon roller the best roller in the game. It has the fastest vertical swing which allows you to react quicker. I also find the loadout to be the best of the roller loadouts personally.

pringles

The ๖ۜBronx;246037568 said:
Is Stealth Jump all that effective? It says that it only affects distant players so I've tended to dismiss it. Ninja Squid is my go-to for a perk though, so useful, especially when flanking on splat zones. Is it a top-only ability, as I'd love to get it on something else for Splatfests.
Not sure really, admittedly stealth jump is the one I'm least certain I want. I rarely squidjump because most of the time you just get splatted upon landing. Perhaps drop roller is a better perk.. ah well, will probably just keep avoiding squidjump and use a perk on Ink Resistance.

Have to say a lot of the perks seem kinda.. shit? Quick respawn is only effective if you get splatted multiple times without splatting anyone, and respawn punisher hurts you and those who splat you.. great, two perks that only "help" if you're a garbage player. Those first 30 seconds/last 30 seconds perks also seem bad compared to things that last all game.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
You gain more for a win than you drop for a loss. That + Wave 3 giving immunity allows for a lot of people who shouldn't be in Profreshional... in Profreshional. I think everyone would have more fun if they were in the "proper" ranks, with spawns and quotas actually being something that they can achieve.

Actually, since the difficulty continues to scale up to Profreshional 400 (True 200% Difficulty as in the Shoal), and since the game takes an average of all players in a crew to determine the difficulty, there's nothing wrong with people who can maintain a low point Profreshional rank. Just like someone who breaks 50/50 in their Ranked games is probably at the rank they currently belong in, so too is a group of players that can never get past wave 3, or fluke with a clutch win every now and then in the low Pro levels.

Then again, Salmon Run be all like:

DHGoEYJV0AA-x7y.jpg

EDIT:
Not sure really, admittedly stealth jump is the one I'm least certain I want. I rarely squidjump because most of the time you just get splatted upon landing. Perhaps drop roller is a better perk.. ah well, will probably just keep avoiding squidjump and use a perk on Ink Resistance.

If you're using superjump and dieing more often than not... I'm sorry to say that you're not using the Superjump mechanic correctly. Stealth Jump is about concealing your return to a position close to the frontline, but safely far back enough so that you won't get dunked on upon landing. If only person who is at the frontline sees it, they could try to act on it or get punished, but the other three enemy team members are so far away that they simply don't know where you are going.

every single match i've had tonight has had someone drop. the matchmaking in this game is impossibly frustrating

I was watched a few Splatoon 2 Twitch streams last night, and there was an unusual amount for DC's happening. More than ive ever seen.

Its almost like since the game released, the matchmaking has got worse every passing week.

Im probably just imagining things...
Or am i?

Jintor

i just played 6 rounds of salmon run profreshonal and lost every single one on the 3rd round usually by not enough eggs.

thank god you don't lose points and still get cash monies if you make it that far

Gartooth

Have to say a lot of the perks seem kinda.. shit? Quick respawn is only effective if you get splatted multiple times without splatting anyone, and respawn punisher hurts you and those who splat you.. great, two perks that only "help" if you're a garbage player. Those first 30 seconds/last 30 seconds perks also seem bad compared to things that last all game.

That's something I've been noticing when trying to craft my abilities. Something like Last Ditch Effort is exactly what I want in Turf War for example, but I haven't noticed the differences much. Some of the abilites are just "why bother" once seeing the miniscule effect they apply.

Toadsili T

Neo Member

We have charts for a lot of abilities in the Discord now, but yeah, Ink Resistance is crazy powerful right now. I mean... LOOK at it!

Even two mains is enough to reduce the movement penalty by more than HALF. There are also some numbers that allow you to regain enough jump height to get ontop of small blocks whilst in enemy ink as well; off the top of my head, 2 mains 5 subs or 3 mains 2 subs.

RedPhoenix

Neo Member
The battle stats are fixed or they are broken beyond belief.

Looking at my info, I had 31 wins. I proceeded to win the next five battles by a large margin. No losses. I'm showing as 33 wins. I mean, what the hell. Why is this thing so broken?

Toadsili T

Neo Member
The battle stats are fixed or they are broken beyond belief.

Looking at my info, I had 31 wins. I proceeded to win the next five battles by a large margin. No losses. I'm showing as 33 wins. I mean, what the hell. Why is this thing so broken?

Because it's only keeping track of the last 50 games. All that means is that the oldest 5 games you just pushed out of your last 50 games were also wins... whilst you haven't pushed out your losses out of the Last 50 Games history yet. ._.

Respawn Punisher's text is incorrect. Anyone splatted by the punisher will be affected, even if the punisher is on a deathless streak.

Makes me wish Respawn Punisher could be stacked. :(

Doopliss

I think Ninja Squid and Thermal Ink only appear on body gear so it wouldn't be possible to have a set with both abilities.

DjRalford

I think Ninja Squid and Thermal Ink only appear on body gear so it wouldn't be possible to have a set with both abilities.

Yup

I've got ninja squid / stealth jump / main ink saver setup at the moment, secondaries have given me swim speed up and a couple of sub ink savers too.

Joqu

Guys I don't know wtf is going on but since today splatoon 2 stops taking my inputs after playing a while, and if I enter the home menu and go to power options or settings my switch registers some sort of constant up input on its own. Going to calibration fixes it automatically, I can't even check where it's coming from, as does powering my switch down, but it keeps coming back.

The up input keeps happening even if I have disconnected both joycons so I don't think they're doing it. And it doesn't happen while playing any other game, so I'm really thinking Splatoon is screwing things up somehow?

I'm gonna contact customer support if this persists but does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Doorman

Wow, the rollers in this game are so bad. Its kind of shocking what Nintendo did to them. Wanted to try out the Flingza Roller in some Turf since I played a little CoroCoro in the first game... And, man, is it bad. Like what is the point of the long fling if you have to be standing right next to them to do more than 40.0 damage? You may as well just play Slosher if you wanna play that game.

Yeah that vertical flick for the Flingza doesn't make much sense. The splat roller is the best of the bunch, but all rollers horizontal flicks were nerfed in some way.

Hopefully they make the correct adjustments in a future patch. I still like the splat roller and carbon roller in this game.

Yes! Preach! Another Carbon user.

Personally i find the Carbon roller the best roller in the game. It has the fastest vertical swing which allows you to react quicker. I also find the loadout to be the best of the roller loadouts personally.

I love the carbon roller's kit and playstyle, and the Flingza has become one of those oddity weapons that I find myself strangely drawn to, but for what the team has done to rollers, particularly the horizontal flick hitboxes, there's just not enough reliability to consider using them that seriously. I get that the team was seemingly worried about their one-hit-kill potential, but given the way this game seems to work now, it becomes evident just how necessary that power was to make the weapons really work. With the Flinga especially, if you get in close, get your flick in, and the opponent just happens to survive, you're too slow to really offer any further recourse and are most likely to die against any other close-to-mid-range shooter. I'm fine with its vertical slash being used more for inking forward rather than killing, if only they'd fix what it's supposed to do up close.

Similarly with the carbon, you can get in close and come right up on someone, swing the roller and connect, and actually bounce off of your opponent while doing minimal damage. Maybe with the carbon at least you're fast enough that you could get another flick in, but by that time, the close-range shooters could either kill you, or swim away to the point where a second fast flick would fall well out of range anyway. So much else is able to kill quickly, with better range and requiring equal or less precision (Splattershots, Octobrush, Tri-slosher, hell even the Aerospray given some of the tickrate shennanigans) that it becomes hard to recommend a weapon where you can do everything right and still wind up on the losing end. Frankly if the Octobrush had inkstorm instead of inkjet as its special (since I just...cannot use inkjet effectively for a few reasons), there'd be literally no reason to ever touch Carbon, and that's disappointing.

I hope that this gets touched up at least a little in a later patch, because the roller class is still fun to use, but it definitely feels like you're currently not doing a team a lot of favors by picking it.

Budi

Hi kids and squids! I'm asking behalf of my friend since he is raving something about changing loadouts being locked behind an Amiibo. Sorry that I can't be more precise about this, but I haven't played the game myself so I'm not entirely aware what he is talking about. But it would seem silly to only allow changing loadouts in the lobby if you buy an Amiibo. So are there such restrictions?

J@hranimo

Banned
Hi kids and squids! I'm asking behalf of my friend since he is raving something about changing loadouts being locked behind an Amiibo. Sorry that I can't be more precise about this, but I haven't played the game myself so I'm not entirely aware what he is talking about. But it would seem silly to only allow changing loadouts in the lobby if you buy an Amiibo. So are there such restrictions?

Unfortunately yes it's the only way to save gear, weapon and gender loadouts. I have two Amiibo from the last game but I'm not a fan of that feature being locked behind plastic.

Unfortunately yes it's the only way to save gear, weapon and gender loadouts. I have two Amiibo from the last game but I'm not a fan of that feature being locked behind plastic.

Wait, you can save the gender/hairstyle options too? That's pretty awesome (not awesome being locked behind amiibo though)

Budi

Ah, thank you very much! But just to be exact. With Amiibo you can change the items/weapons in the lobby which is otherwise restricted? So it's not just saving? And it has to be Splatoon Amiibo specifically for the saving to work?

Branduil

Feels good when you unleash your grenade special at the very end and manage to get the last egg you need for quota with less than 5 seconds to go.

Branduil

The ๖ۜBronx;246035318 said:
Get to the higher difficulties and you'll be thinking the opposite. As for the weapons, and I never thought I'd say this, but I'm missing having a charger on the team. Anything short of that seems inconsistent for the team to nail steelheads with for some reason.

This weapon set is fucking awful for Steelheads. The tri-slosher and roller basically need to be right underneath the Steelhead to even hit him, which obviously isn't a good idea. I'm pretty sure the dualies can't hit him period unless they have a higher vantage point. That leaves the splatling as the only weapon that can deal with the Steelhead from a reasonable distance and solo him in one go, but that's a difficult to use weapon that requires good timing.

Needless to say, a lot of rounds in this rotation of Salmon Run end with a couple of Steelheads still alive. The one good thing about them is they can't really hurt you until they get fairly close, and they move slowly.

DrArchon

I wish Nintendo would give players on teams with less than 4 players some bonus XP or something. Not as much as you would get for winning, but at least something to say "Hey, we know you played through this whole match with maybe a 5% chance of winning, we're sorry that happened, here's some XP". Just something to make people feel better about all the rampant disconnects.

Because right now, I don't see much of a reason not to disconnect myself when the game starts and I see only two other people on my team. Better to get right back into matchmaking and have a chance of winning the next game than wasting my time with this one.

Doorman

Ah, thank you very much! But just to be exact. With Amiibo you can change the items/weapons in the lobby which is otherwise restricted? So it's not just saving? And it has to be Splatoon Amiibo specifically for the saving to work?

If you mean to ask if the amiibo lets you change your gear setup while you're already waiting in a turf war lobby, the answer is no.

While you're in the gear menu (prior to entering matchmaking, or if you're in a league team), you can save your current loadout to the amiibo, or tap an amiibo to load whatever gear was set on it to use. It's meant to allow you to bring your favorite setup to another setting like a tournament where you may not have your own system and all your gear with you, or just as a quicker way of swapping around rather than poking through the whole gear list for the stuff you want to use. It doesn't offer any real added functionality as far as when you can switch gear.

I wish Nintendo would give players on teams with less than 4 players some bonus XP or something. Not as much as you would get for winning, but at least something to say "Hey, we know you played through this whole match with maybe a 5% chance of winning, we're sorry that happened, here's some XP". Just something to make people feel better about all the rampant disconnects.

Because right now, I don't see much of a reason not to disconnect myself when the game starts and I see only two other people on my team. Better to get right back into matchmaking and have a chance of winning the next game than wasting my time with this one.

I suggested earlier in this thread that as a solution, when you get a DC'd player on your team, the 3 (or sometimes 2) man team get a permanent buff like ink armour or tenacity making them just a little more harder to kill to help give a fighting chance to the smaller team.

Budi

If you mean to ask if the amiibo lets you change your gear setup while you're already waiting in a turf war lobby, the answer is no.

While you're in the gear menu (prior to entering matchmaking, or if you're in a league team), you can save your current loadout to the amiibo, or tap an amiibo to load whatever gear was set on it to use. It's meant to allow you to bring your favorite setup to another setting like a tournament where you may not have your own system and all your gear with you, or just as a quicker way of swapping around rather than poking through the whole gear list for the stuff you want to use. It doesn't offer any real added functionality as far as when you can switch gear.
Yeah had hard time framing the question. But I think this answers all of it. And it's how I thought it would work, but my friend who has the game insisted it's not like that. He was referring to 4 months old gamefaqs topic, which shouldn't be taken at face value.

Thanks all! You just saved my friend from unnecessary spending =P

DrArchon

I suggested earlier in this thread that as a solution, when you get a DC'd player on your team, the 3 (or sometimes 2) man team get a permanent buff like ink armour or tenacity making them just a little more harder to kill to help give a fighting chance to the smaller team.

That wouldn't really help for Turf War at least, because the real problem is the lack of ability to cover ground. I had a 3v4 game just now where everyone on my team had pretty positive KDRs by the end, but it didn't matter because we simply couldn't keep up with 4 people putting out ink. There'd always be one guy sneaking behind us while we were occupied by the other 3.

I guess they could do that for Ranked modes, but it'd probably be easier to just say "Hey you didn't have 4 people on your team so this loss doesn't hurt your rank".

Salmon run rewards, is the chance determined? I'm talking about chance of rare rewards, take gears for example: normal 1(no ability), normal 2(1 ability), rare(3 abilities). It seems rare chance is pretty high? About 10% or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom